ADVERTISEMENT

Carver High Football is a Joke right now!!!

jellowjackets4life2004

Aug 29, 2023
I'm a graduate of Carver High School and THIS FOOTBALL PROGRAM IS A JOKE RIGHT NOW!!!! I was at the game on Friday night and I seen a kid walk off the field in the 3rd quarter and I also seen the coaches on the sidelines about to fight each other. I don't know who the Admin over Athletics is right now or anything but THIS WHOLE THING IS A BUNCH OF BULL!!! Carver High use to be the pride of the city of Winston and now its become the laughing stock of the city. They should've kept Griffin as the Head Coach because he was working to turn the program around and it was trending in the right direction. This new Administration doesn't care about anything but themselves and all they do is shake hands and kiss babies. I digress but I wish the alumni of Carver would speak up and tell this we want change. I understand the head coach is an Alumni but at the same time he's never been a head coach and its showing that he doesn't have control of this team and they don't respect him as a head coach.

WOW. I feel for all of you folks, I couldn't imagine the embarrassment you felt the other night.

I wasn't a big fan of the hire as I've seen the guy coaching at another school but what a nightmare. He used to be DC at Walkertown when McKoy was there , and he didn't have control over those kids even then. They were very un-disciplined and lazy. They expected to beat people by being fast but when they played a team with the physicality to match they couldn't hang and they'd fall apart easily. That dude just stood on the sideline lost when we beat them in 2019. Once I seen he went to Carver it made me nervous because I was afraid he'd use his McKoy connection to try to get the job from out of Giffin's hands, and that's what happened. He never shoulda been in the running for the job to begin with considering how bad that run ended at Wtown.

The depth for Carver isn't great as it is, for a kid to walk off like that is just awful. Griffin had that program turned around so well on that end from where he inherited from Scales who was so inept he couldn't do much of anything right. Griffin inherited a program that had over 20 kids flunk their classes and not be eligible to play, they barely had enough kids for that spring season. The fall came and he had it back to normal and laid the law down like they needed. So sad seeing it go backwards and even worse. If things don't improve they might not be able to finish all together and that's just embarrassing.

They just need to clean house when the season's done with everyone involved and hire an experienced HC with varsity experience who can put together a knowledgeable staff and leave him be to rebuild. Not McKoy for sure, granted I know a lot of their base were trying for that in 2018, but he's too toxic to give the job too. Get rid of the fighting assistants (granted that's happened before, they came up to play us in 2018 and they had 2 assistants get ejected and one tried to fight another one, it was a crap show.) And just be patient.

There's no reason why Carver can't be competitive in 1A where they are at. That conference has no recurring powerhouses and they are always naturally fast.

I hope Carver turns it around eventually. I remember those Carver teams from the late 90's/early 2000's. They were arguably the best program in Forsyth at that time.

I agree with Slash. I don't see any reason why they can't compete in 1A.

I hope Carver turns it around eventually. I remember those Carver teams from the late 90's/early 2000's. They were arguably the best program in Forsyth at that time.

I agree with Slash. I don't see any reason why they can't compete in 1A.
Guys it's a hard school to go to. These kids have a hard life at home. Just to get these kids to go out for sports is hard enough.

Reactions: The Deerhunter
Isn't this an open enrollment county?
If so I hope they go 0-10

Yeah, but Carver isn't benefiting from that at all.
Yep, that open enrollment has helped them tremendously. I have been that gym many times, banners hanging for conference championships in all sports. Now they are not even competitive in any sport.

I think Carver has almost 800 kids.
Must have a lot of free lunch

Last edited:
My guess would 100%
My figures say 600 enrollment.
Forsyth County's idiotic open enrollment policy has killed Carver. It is BS. If you are in the Carver district then you should go to Carver. End of story unless you have a very, very compelling reason not to go there. And kids wanting to go to a winning program is also BS. Stay at your school and work hard to make the program better. Too much entitlement. And if you are a good player and want to play in college, college recruiters will find you even if you are on the other side of the moon. So that is another BS reason to transfer to a winning program - for the exposure. It is 2023 and not 1963. If you are a stud player, the recruiters will find you, woo you and offer you a ride to college. It is sickening what has happened at Carver.

Forsyth County's idiotic open enrollment policy has killed Carver. It is BS. If you are in the Carver district then you should go to Carver. End of story unless you have a very, very compelling reason not to go there. And kids wanting to go to a winning program is also BS. Stay at your school and work hard to make the program better. Too much entitlement. And if you are a good player and want to play in college, college recruiters will find you even if you are on the other side of the moon. So that is another BS reason to transfer to a winning program - for the exposure. It is 2023 and not 1963. If you are a stud player, the recruiters will find you, woo you and offer you a ride to college. It is sickening what has happened at Carver.
See, it’s easy to read this and agree but the issues are inherently more complex than that. What incentive is there for a talented kid to stay at a school where that school isn’t holding up its end of the bargain? If the administration and school doesn’t care about producing a winning product, why should the kid or his/her family? Loyalty works both ways.

Reactions: REWhitley
Carver being 1A School. If the athletes would stay in the Carver District. You might have a much better shot at a State Title at 1A than 4A. Just their not that many great 1A programs. I do miss the glory years at Carver.

Open enrollment districts aren't going anywhere and may grow as Fuhrer Berger and his cronies continue to dismantle public education. Districts have to do what they can to keep people happy and in district. If not those people will go to charter schools and distircts lose money. Districts are already cash strapped as is.

If education was fully funded as it is legally required to be in the state and LEAs weren't handcufffed by asinine rules alot of these issues would resolve themselves.

There open enrollment is why WS Prep won those basketball state champs. They had a Forsyth County All Star team every year.

Reactions: BK13T-$
There open enrollment is why WS Prep won those basketball state champs. They had a Forsyth County All Star team every year.
I remember watching Albemarle in regionals in Greensboro vs one of those all star teams. You could tell during warmups it was going to be a long night for Albemarle. Albemarle had a layup warmup line... WSP had an alley oop dunk line... Entire squad was dunking in warmups.

Reactions: MA STUD and BK13T-$
The crazy thing about this whole situation is that this Carver football team hasn't scored a touchdown offensively in two games and grant it they lost to North Moore but Lexington was by far one of the worst teams in the state in previous years. They have a bye this week and they're next game is against Charlotte Latin and then they go into conference.
9/8: @Charlotte Latin
9/15: @Christ the King
9/22: Bishop McGuinness
9/29: @Community School of Davidson
10/6 Corvian Community
10/13: @Pine Lake Prep
10/20: Mountain Island Charter
10/27: Winston Salem Prep.
I love my yellowjackets but its a possibility that we might go 0-10 this year with this schedule.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Open enrollment is an open joke in Forsyth county.

It has led to overcrowded "desirable" schools and empty "undesirable" schools, traffic nightmares at the overpopulated schools, no community pride in school sports since the players aren't from the community.

Unfortunately, the school system is getting worse.

Also, Carver is now the cyber security magnet. While a noble idea, it's not really going to help with sports.

Forsyth county is such a geographically small county that districts could be drawn so that they are roughly equal in socioeconomic numbers. No reason for a 1a school massively overcrowded schools.

I hope Carver reclaims some of the past glory.

Reactions: fitguync30
Open enrollment is an open joke in Forsyth county.

It has led to overcrowded "desirable" schools and empty "undesirable" schools, traffic nightmares at the overpopulated schools, no community pride in school sports since the players aren't from the community.

Unfortunately, the school system is getting worse.

Also, Carver is now the cyber security magnet. While a noble idea, it's not really going to help with sports.

Forsyth county is such a geographically small county that districts could be drawn so that they are roughly equal in socioeconomic numbers. No reason for a 1a school massively overcrowded schools.

I hope Carver reclaims some of the past glory.
Yes, Carver was 3A back in the glory days and have fallen all the way down to 1A. Forsyth Co. has a relatively large population. Makes no sense for there to be a 1A school in this county,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT