ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Hales Leaving Butler

I have a theory. Could be wrong, but Butler and Chambers are in similar situations with Ferebee coming in. Knocking on the door of a state championship, but not getting over the hump in recent years. Ferebee may have enticed Butler’s leadership with how he’ll get them over that hump like he did at Chambers.

Now, this is a gamble because he doesn’t stick around long, but when he’s there, he wins and wins big. Butler is simply gambling it pays off for however long he’s there.
Those Chambers teams were more talented than everyone else in the city and had better enrollment numbers (if i am not mistaken). Butler has talent for sure but not at the levels Chambers had. Great stability in coaching through Butler has allowed Butler to remain pretty good throughout the years when the talent and numbers decrease.

How does that work in Charlotte?
The job listing for the Butler job is listed below. There is no mention of a college degree or a teacher certification as a requirement.

Head Football Coach
David W Butler High
P.O. Box 30035
Charlotte , NC 28230
Non Instructional/Support Services
Job Number4600294308
Start Date
Open Date03/06/2024
Closing Date05/06/2024
This is a stipend position paid by the Athletic Department.

*Deep understanding of football strategy, tactics, and player development principles, with the ability to leverage data and analytics to inform decision-making and strategy development with a proven track record as an asst or head coach.
*Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with players, parents, staff, and community stakeholders, and build positive relationships based on trust, respect, and mutual understanding.
*Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and responsibilities simultaneously, and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities as needed.

Reactions: nepsy7
The job listing for the Butler job is listed below. There is no mention of a college degree or a teacher certification as a requirement.

Head Football Coach
David W Butler High
P.O. Box 30035
Charlotte , NC 28230
Job Number4600294308
Start Date
Open Date03/06/2024
Closing Date05/06/2024

*Deep understanding of football strategy, tactics, and player development principles, with the ability to leverage data and analytics to inform decision-making and strategy development with a proven track record as an asst or head coach.
*Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with players, parents, staff, and community stakeholders, and build positive relationships based on trust, respect, and mutual understanding.
*Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to manage multiple priorities and responsibilities simultaneously, and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities as needed.

The Garinger job only required a high school diploma.

Head Football Coach
Garinger High School
P.O. Box 30035
Charlotte , NC 28230
Job Number4600294626
Start Date
Open Date03/18/2024
Closing Date05/20/2024
# of Jobs1.00
Teacher ScaleN
Minimum Educational RequirementsHS diploma
Job Attachment

The Garinger job only required a high school diploma.

Head Football Coach
Garinger High School
P.O. Box 30035
Charlotte , NC 28230
Job Number4600294626
Start Date
Open Date03/18/2024
Closing Date05/20/2024
# of Jobs1.00
Teacher ScaleN
Minimum Educational RequirementsHS diploma
Job Attachment
I never knew this. I thought all CMS Heard Coaching jobs required a degree.

I never knew this. I thought all CMS Heard Coaching jobs required a degree.
Teaching jobs require a degree. I think it would be tough to hire a head football coach that wasn't a teacher. Although, I do know some schools that have hired guys that work in the building in non-teaching roles.

A few years ago there was a coach in SC that had graduated from college, but was not a certified teacher. He was given 3 years to complete his teacher certification requirements. The coach was let go at the end of his 3 years despite winning a state championship, because he didn't complete his teacher certification requirements. In that district, you had to be a certified teacher (or in his case working towards certification) to be a head coach, so he was out. I think the coach ended up taking a job at a private school that didn't require teacher certification.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
He did extremely well taking over a program that Aaron Brand built. Gotta give him credit for that, but Tripp Stone is big time. He was already on campus. 🤷🏾‍♂️
For sure. Tripp is one of the best. Extremely deserving to be someone’s head coach. Was rooting for my brother LJ to get it. The Satterfield’s are very close with Ferebee.

For sure. Tripp is one of the best. Extremely deserving to be someone’s head coach. Was rooting for my brother LJ to get it. The Satterfield’s are very close with Ferebee.
I wonder if IJ would have had a shot, had he applied for it.

I wonder if IJ would have had a shot, had he applied for it.
Ferebee is a great choice. Head to head his coaching resume far exceeds Stone. If it was his brother then no go with Stone. If its Glenwood then its an excellent choice. You just don't pass on Ferebee if he is available. May ruffle feathers but he can flat out coach at a high level. His success at Chambers 39-5 with two ships and a runner up is unmatched in CMS except for Knotts.

-If Stone would stay and do defense and watch Butler become an absolute monster. Then when Ferebee leaves get the job.

-If LJ head over to the westside.......Perfect fit

You do not have to have a degree to be a head football coach in Charlotte, however it is highly preferred. There have been head coaches in Charlotte who have been security personnel or a behavioral assistant teacher, neither of those positions require a degree.

Hold on a minute! His success at Chambers 39-5 with two ships and a runner up is unmatched in CMS except for Knotts?

4 State Championships appearances and 3 Ships. 136-15 (Mike Palmieri)

Last edited:
Believe at one time CMS was requiring a degree and certification to be a head coach but times have changed drastically. I remember Lnotts urging one of his former players/current assistants to get his degree or certification if he wanted to advance in CMS.

Unless Butler is electric the next four or five seasons it will be hard to determine if this was the right hire. Stone is about 18 years in the system. Pretty sure the Stone’s purchased a home in the Matthews area. I think he stays at Butler until retirement if he is named the HC. That would be four coaches off the same tree in nearly 40 seasons. You also get his father in the deal and that is huge.

Glenwood did a great job at Chambers but I think Brand probably would have did the same if he stayed…maybe not but I am a Brand guy.

The head scratcher here is that Chambers was uunder heavy scrutiny at the end of Glenwood’s run. One of the highest rated (and most exciting) players in Charlotte history was in turmoil and did not get to play his senior season. No idea what the exact ruling was on that but from my experience it would have been based on what happened at Chambers not him going to WC(?). In fairness, the HC may have had nothing to do with any of the issues but there was smoke.

Next few years will be interesting. Let the moving vans (or “taxi services”) roll.

Reactions: nepsy7
Unless Butler is electric the next four or five seasons it will be hard to determine if this was the right hire. Stone is about 18 years in the system. Pretty sure the Stone’s purchased a home in the Matthews area. I think he stays at Butler until retirement if he is named the HC. That would be four coaches off the same tree in nearly 40 seasons. You also get his father in the deal and that is huge.

Glenwood did a great job at Chambers but I think Brand probably would have did the same if he stayed…maybe not but I am a Brand guy.

The head scratcher here is that Chambers was uunder heavy scrutiny at the end of Glenwood’s run. One of the highest rated (and most exciting) players in Charlotte history was in turmoil and did not get to play his senior season. No idea what the exact ruling was on that but from my experience it would have been based on what happened at Chambers not him going to WC(?). In fairness, the HC may have had nothing to do with any of the issues but there was smoke.

Next few years will be interesting. Let the moving vans (or “taxi services”) roll.
I'm a Brand guy myself, but he DIDNT win a ship as a HC at Vance, and he hasn't won one at Irmo either. Ferebee came in and dominated at Chambers. Also a Coach P guy but he has not had the same success at Denmark. Folks wont admit it but Mallard Creek had some of the best talent/support in the state during that time span with no Knotts coaching in the area. They had a bunch of transfers in to help keep the dynasty going. Once they started the merri-go round QB system they lost that high level of success. So yes Ferebee is comparable or better than Brand because he has the results. You don't make three ships and win two because of some one else's players/system. Its because you can flat out coach at a high level.

As for the Chambers scrutiny. That special class was going to Chambers to play for Brand. Brand was the coach in CMS at that time the kids wanted to play for. They had no idea who Ferebee was. That stuff at Chambers was going on for years before he even got there. Then CMS switching from Vicki to Ericia and introducing Dragon Fly really put a hurt on incoming players to neighborhood schools. Dragon Fly follows you and can link to other students and tracks addresses across families. Don't think people really understood what was happening...

Agree the next few years will be very interesting! The CMS crackdown is having residual effects. Just think of the schools and their zones. Mallard Creek/WC will rise in their zone and Hough take a step back. Butler /Indy will shine in their zone, and Ardrey Kell, and Myers Park in theirs. Parents will realize its easier stacking in zone vs, cross county with more scrutiny.

Ferebee is a great choice. Head to head his coaching resume far exceeds Stone. If it was his brother then no go with Stone. If its Glenwood then its an excellent choice. You just don't pass on Ferebee if he is available. May ruffle feathers but he can flat out coach at a high level. His success at Chambers 39-5 with two ships and a runner up is unmatched in CMS except for Knotts.

-If Stone would stay and do defense and watch Butler become an absolute monster. Then when Ferebee leaves get the job.

-If LJ head over to the westside.......Perfect fit
Stone I was told will not be coaching but will stay at Butler as a teacher. Obviously could change, but heard it from a very solid source.

Stone I was told will not be coaching but will stay at Butler as a teacher. Obviously could change, but heard it from a very solid source.
Yes heard the same but hoped he may change his mind. But fully understand why he chooses not to do so. May be large turnover on that staff as a whole. The big benefit Ferebee had at Chambers was the staff relatively remained intact.

(They had a bunch of transfers in to help keep the dynasty going?) That is not true! As the guy those guys would reach out to, to be a part of the program. The majority of them wouldn't have touch the field outside of warm-ups. That's one of the most over exaggerated assessments made about Mallard Creek program. Very few spots if any were available for a bunch of guys to come in. Who were they going to play in front of?

Last edited:
I'm a Brand guy myself, but he DIDNT win a ship as a HC at Vance, and he hasn't won one at Irmo either. Ferebee came in and dominated at Chambers. Also a Coach P guy but he has not had the same success at Denmark. Folks wont admit it but Mallard Creek had some of the best talent/support in the state during that time span with no Knotts coaching in the area. They had a bunch of transfers in to help keep the dynasty going. Once they started the merri-go round QB system they lost that high level of success. So yes Ferebee is comparable or better than Brand because he has the results. You don't make three ships and win two because of some one else's players/system. Its because you can flat out coach at a high level.

As for the Chambers scrutiny. That special class was going to Chambers to play for Brand. Brand was the coach in CMS at that time the kids wanted to play for. They had no idea who Ferebee was. That stuff at Chambers was going on for years before he even got there. Then CMS switching from Vicki to Ericia and introducing Dragon Fly really put a hurt on incoming players to neighborhood schools. Dragon Fly follows you and can link to other students and tracks addresses across families. Don't think people really understood what was happening...

Agree the next few years will be very interesting! The CMS crackdown is having residual effects. Just think of the schools and their zones. Mallard Creek/WC will rise in their zone and Hough take a step back. Butler /Indy will shine in their zone, and Ardrey Kell, and Myers Park in theirs. Parents will realize its easier stacking in zone vs, cross county with more scrutiny.
Although Brand didn’t win the championship, it doesn’t refute the fact that Ferebee inherited a nice situation. It comes down to which you respect more. The coach that laid the foundation and built the team to a championship contender or the coach that took the contender, made some tweaks which led to championships.

Tom Knotts and Mike Palmeri did take over bad football teams and turned them into championship teams. That is something Ferebee didn’t do so I don’t think he should be mentioned in that class.

If he isn’t certified, I am sure Wilson knew that before hiring him.

My guess is that he figures he can be more successful with his recruiting and win more games at Butler than he could have at Wilson.

South Florence is the premier program in that district and they have open enrollment. Maybe he was there long enough to figure out that he couldn’t get players to come to Wilson even if they were zoned to go there.
The word is that Wilson didn’t do their due diligence and somehow missed out on him not being certified

Although Brand didn’t win the championship, it doesn’t refute the fact that Ferebee inherited a nice situation. It comes down to which you respect more. The coach that laid the foundation and built the team to a championship contender or the coach that took the contender, made some tweaks which led to championships.

Tom Knotts and Mike Palmeri did take over bad football teams and turned them into championship teams. That is something Ferebee didn’t do so I don’t think he should be mentioned in that class.
Brand didnt win it. Not at West Charlotte, not at Chambers, and not at Irmo. He's a great coach and Ferebee is a great coach with ships. Brand had some of the most talented teams in the city too.

False. Knotts took over great situations everywhere he went except Dutch Fork. Harding was established, WC was state championship caliber, and Indy was a playoff type team with Chris Leak.

Palmieri went to a new school that had a large attendance zone and great athletes assigned. Good coach but he was in a great situation. He has 3 ships so he's a great coach.

Nepsy Mallard Creek got transfers. Stop it. They had their core guys but they did get good transfers that contributed to state titles and deep run playoff teams. Marquez North, Jordan Davis, Chauncey Caldwell, Thad Moss. List goes on and on. Wont mention the residency guys that moved in as 9th graders.

Brand didnt win it. Not at West Charlotte, not at Chambers, and not at Irmo. He's a great coach and Ferebee is a great coach with ships. Brand had some of the most talented teams in the city too.

False. Knotts took over great situations everywhere he went except Dutch Fork. Harding was established, WC was state championship caliber, and Indy was a playoff type team with Chris Leak.
My statement was basically I thought Brand would have likely won a title, two, or three if he stayed. He had been on the absolute edge losing by two to a dominant Wake Forest team his last game. Irmo had not won more than six games the eight years before he arrived. His son at QB for Chambers would have been scary. He was only at WC one season.

Knotts took over an Indy team that won five the prior season. Won a state title first season starting three seniors with one starter that was not on the team the prior season. Indy had been solid with CJ Leak at qb. Agree on Harding and WC. DF was a dumpster fire. What he has done there is more impressive than his success at Indy. If he could have had that support at Indy it would have been scary.

Reactions: bigdadd11103

Vance had some transfers as well.

Nepsy Mallard Creek got transfers. Stop it. They had their core guys but they did get good transfers that contributed to state titles and deep run playoff teams. Marquez North, Jordan Davis, Chauncey Caldwell, Thad Moss. List goes on and on. Wont mention the residency guys that moved in as 9th graders.

You're wrong! Marquez moved back to Charlotte; he played in a Wild Cat. Ramondo moved him back to Charlotte. He was getting beat up as a QB at Lumberton, never won a State Championship, Jordan Davis moved from Hopewell as a sophomore, was a backup until Senior Year, Chauncey Caldwell was put out in the 1st round in the playoffs by Butler. Thad Moss moved to the Creek when Victory Christian stop their football program. Moss is the only kid you listed who contributed to a State Championship team. I can identify every kid you mention, and how they got to the Creek. Record wouldn't have changed without or with players listed. You don't keep an alleged dynasty going with 2 to 3 new guys every year. Program was just loaded with players that lived in Creek district. When did a 9th grade kid moving into the area to play football, become just a Mallard Creek thing. That's not subjected to Mallard Creek. The list does not go on, and on. Yes, Creek got some great players, not a bunch.

You can't say on one hand Ferebee is a great Coach, when he was gifted an already established program, with numerous players that were zoned for Mallard Creek. Damn, a few actually lived across the street from Ridge Road. Yet Coach P's success was sustained off a bunch of transfers. Come on Man! If AB never steps into Vance, they have zero Championships. The staff was already in place.
2007: 1-11 (1st year)
2008: 11-1 kid moved into the area from VA, who reclassed and who played sparingly (Season Forfeited) Was the 2nd season for the program
2009: 11-2
2010: 13-1
2011: 13-1
2012: 12-2

The above is Palmieri's record before he won his 1st State Championship. Did he accomplish that with a bunch of transfers also, or was it afterwards?

Last edited:
Yes heard the same but hoped he may change his mind. But fully understand why he chooses not to do so. May be large turnover on that staff as a whole. The big benefit Ferebee had at Chambers was the staff relatively remained intact.
He could, wouldn’t shock me if he does stay coaching at Butler.

My statement was basically I thought Brand would have likely won a title, two, or three if he stayed. He had been on the absolute edge losing by two to a dominant Wake Forest team his last game. Irmo had not won more than six games the eight years before he arrived. His son at QB for Chambers would have been scary. He was only at WC one season.

Knotts took over an Indy team that won five the prior season. Won a state title first season starting three seniors with one starter that was not on the team the prior season. Indy had been solid with CJ Leak at qb. Agree on Harding and WC. DF was a dumpster fire. What he has done there is more impressive than his success at Indy. If he could have had that support at Indy it would have been scary.
Exactly. NO offense to either as both are great coaches, but this narrative that Brand didn't have great teams at Chambers, or that Ferebee only won because the team was set up is false. Look at Chambers since Ferebee left. Still a good solid team but in no way are they championship caliber. Ferebee can flat out coach. If Ferebee goes to Butler and wins a ship or two will you all say it was Hales team? Even thought they hadn't won ship since 2012?

This Knotts took over dumpster fire narrative has to stop. He followed Bruce Hardin and Rudy Abrams at WC. Indy he followed Jester who had some great Indy teams. Dutch Fork is in a great area and has the right demographic mix for Knotts. Once he leaves Dutch Fork will be bad bad. KNotts is easily the top HS coach of all time but he is careful at what school he chooses and when he chooses/leaves them.

You're wrong! Marquez moved back to Charlotte; he played in a Wild Cat. Ramondo moved him back to Charlotte. He was getting beat up as a QB at Lumberton, never won a State Championship, Jordan Davis moved from Hopewell as a sophomore, was a backup until Senior Year, Chauncey Caldwell was put out in the 1st round in the playoffs by Butler. Thad Moss moved to the Creek when Victory Christian stop their football program. Moss is the only kid you listed who contributed to a State Championship team. I can identify every kid you mention, and how they got to the Creek. Record wouldn't have changed without or with players listed. You don't keep an alleged dynasty going with 2 to 3 new guys every year. Program was just loaded with players that lived in Creek district. When did a 9th grade kid moving into the area to play football, become just a Mallard Creek thing. That's not subjected to Mallard Creek. The list does not go on, and on. Yes, Creek got some great players, not a bunch.

You can't say on one hand Ferebee is a great Coach, when he was gifted an already established program, with numerous players that were zoned for Mallard Creek. Damn, a few actually lived across the street from Ridge Road. Yet Coach P's success was sustained off a bunch of transfers. Come on Man! If AB never steps into Vance, they have zero Championships. The staff was already in place.
2007: 1-11 (1st year)
2008: 11-1 kid moved into the area from VA, who reclassed and who played sparingly (Season Forfeited) Was the 2nd season for the program
2009: 11-2
2010: 13-1
2011: 13-1
2012: 12-2

The above is Palmieri's record before he won his 1st State Championship. Did he accomplish that with a bunch of transfers also, or was it afterwards?
So Mallard Creek did get transfers in? You cant say I'm wrong then list off the numerous All-state caliber players they got in as transfers. 1-11 to 11-1? Coaching or great athletes in the area that were zone into MC? New homes and buildings in the area that exploded growth? Hmmm. Sounds to me more like a perfect storm of coaching, great residency talent, and good transfers in, and the 9th grade residency trick. Not saying Coach P cant coach as he is a legend, but lets nit act like MC wasn;t set up for early success regardless of coach.

So Mallard Creek did get transfers in? You cant say I'm wrong then list off the numerous All-state caliber players they got in as transfers. 1-11 to 11-1? Coaching or great athletes in the area that were zone into MC? New homes and buildings in the area that exploded growth? Hmmm. Sounds to me more like a perfect storm of coaching, great residency talent, and good transfers in, and the 9th grade residency trick. Not saying Coach P cant coach as he is a legend, but lets nit act like MC wasn;t set up for early success regardless of coach.
How could you say Palmieri was “set up” for early success when he was taking over a new situation. Sounds to me he was setting up the program. Secondly when opening a school typically it sucks students/talent from other schools. What juggernaut did MC pull from that set them up for success? Back in those days the best talent was in Matthews and Mint Hill. Butler and Indy was routinely rolling everyone over in the city.

Even if Coach P got all star talent which I don’t know if I believe. This was still a new school with no football history or foundation and to turn things around quickly is still impressive.

You said that a bunch of players transferred in to keep the dynasty going. That is false. He started winning after the 1st year. You also mentioned support. Karen Mckaig (AD) was not a fan of Palmieri or Football, so I'm curious where that support was coming from. She was the one that self-reported a kid that hardly played that forfeited the entire season. 9th grade residency is not a trick. Mallard Creek didn't invent family's moving into the area because of the success of the program. That's been going on for decades. Ardrey Kell had growth with New Homes that exploded with growth. What happen with their perfect storm? They have top 5 enrollment in the state. They've never been a State Championship contender. Those are facts.

You downsized his accomplishments to make an argument for Ferebee being some type of guru great coach. Although he was given a much better hand than Palmieri. He built nothing from scratch.

Last edited:
Exactly. NO offense to either as both are great coaches, but this narrative that Brand didn't have great teams at Chambers, or that Ferebee only won because the team was set up is false. Look at Chambers since Ferebee left. Still a good solid team but in no way are they championship caliber. Ferebee can flat out coach. If Ferebee goes to Butler and wins a ship or two will you all say it was Hales team? Even thought they hadn't won ship since 2012?

This Knotts took over dumpster fire narrative has to stop. He followed Bruce Hardin and Rudy Abrams at WC. Indy he followed Jester who had some great Indy teams. Dutch Fork is in a great area and has the right demographic mix for Knotts. Once he leaves Dutch Fork will be bad bad. KNotts is easily the top HS coach of all time but he is careful at what school he chooses and when he chooses/leaves them.
Major respect to Ferebee getting it done and definitely not questioning his coaching ability nor success which I know you were not directing that at me.

I thought when I walked out of the locker room after the 9-7 loss to Wake Forest that Brand would be winning titles the next few years. Told him that. They had suffered close losses to Catholic and Harding. After the great win against Butler they just were not ready mentally for Page. Two seasons later thay matchup with Wake Forest who is winning their third state title in a row.

Knotts struggled initially at Harding. Harding had won six games for a couple of years after an eight win season during the Mike Eppley days but had been dismal prior to that. It was not close to what Brand left at Chambers. Knotts followed Bruce Hardin at both Harding and West Charlotte where Hardin had the WC program in state title contention.

Indy had a run with Rusty but was up and down for the most part. Caught fire with CJ Leak, Robert Brannon, and DeAngelo Lloyd. Program was night and day from those two eras. He wanted the East Meck job and turned his attention to South Meck due to his friend really wanted the EM job and South was the closest opening to his house. When Indy came open with Chris Leak a rising sophomore that was the one. I think his success at EM and SM is on par as Indy but it takes a bit longer at those two schools. In 2001 EM lost to Indy in the regional semifinal.

DF was the perfect storm for Knotts and the funny thing is other schools in SC showed very little interest. His DF was the only place to offer him a job. The people and coaches in SC expected him to fall apart there and be gone in a few years.

Mallard Creek 2008 forfeits were due to an eight semester violation. This was the second year of the school's existence. Player in question moved from Maryland where he had completed his freshman year (two semesters) of high school. He then enrolled at North Meck as a freshman repeating the ninth grade year. This appeared to have been an academic decision by the family. Student returned to Maryland. During his senior year he was at Mallard Creek and after the North Meck game his eligibility was brought up. The player was a defensive standout probably the best MC player on that side of the ball. MC was 9-0 after the North game and forfeited all wins.

I don't think Mallard Creek intentionally did anything wrong. The player met the age qualification with no issue. His info was input incorreclty at North Meck when he started his "freshman" year there.

Mallard Creek 2008 forfeits were due to an eight semester violation. This was the second year of the school's existence. Player in question moved from Maryland where he had completed his freshman year (two semesters) of high school. He then enrolled at North Meck as a freshman repeating the ninth grade year. This appeared to have been an academic decision by the family. Student returned to Maryland. During his senior year he was at Mallard Creek and after the North Meck game his eligibility was brought up. The player was a defensive standout probably the best MC player on that side of the ball. MC was 9-0 after the North game and forfeited all wins.

I don't think Mallard Creek intentionally did anything wrong. The player met the age qualification with no issue. His info was input incorreclty at North Meck when he started his "freshman" year there.

Btango! To my understanding it was because of a problem with reclassification. He was a Special Ed kid entered in the system incorrectly at NM. He moved from VA, Never played football before arriving to MC.

120% sure he was not the best player on the team, and definitely played sparingly.. I confirmed that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT