ADVERTISEMENT

Best player for slam dunk contest

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
I got to thinking who was the best players that was best at slam dunking a ball or who would be the best at the school I went to. So whether it’s past or present who you say was best at slam dunking the basketball. I know a couple my school from years ago that was phenomenal at leaping toward the basket.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
At Freedom we've had no shortage of guys who could throw it down and Leon Johnson is probably the most electric. But seeing an alley oop dunk by 5'9" Wesley Ervin in the 1994 state championship game is a highlight I will always remember. There is some film of current Patriot hoopsters Amore Connelly and Philly Harris tossing it down which I have posted before, but here it is again for your enjoyment.

For ER, Keke Spinks, Travis Whitaker, and Kaemen Marley immediately come to mind.

As far as fairly recent in the state of North Carolina, I'd love to see a dunk contest between Dan Gross, Christian Hampton, Kwe Parker, and Dennis Smith Jr. That would've been ill.

At Freedom we've had no shortage of guys who could throw it down and Leon Johnson is probably the most electric. But seeing an alley oop dunk by 5'9" Wesley Ervin in the 1994 state championship game is a highlight I will always remember. There is some film of current Patriot hoopsters Amore Connelly and Philly Harris tossing it down which I have posted before, but here it is again for your enjoyment.
Mims and Largent could jump out of the gym too, but they were pretty tall as well.

Cherryville had a guy in the early/mid 2000s named Kenneth Harris who went on to be a WR at UGA who dunked on everybody. Was about 6-3 and could jump out of the gym--was committed to UNCA for basketball before his football recruiting picked up if I remember right.

Also early 2000s, Richard Joyce when he was at Mount Airy before he went to Oak Hill (then Wake) used to put on some shows.

Mims and Largent could jump out of the gym too, but they were pretty tall as well.
Mims 6'8" and played professionally in Turkey (he lives there now I believe). Largent 6'6" and played at WCU and then some semi-pro in Oregon somewhere. Cory Largent is an assistant coach on this year's team. Both were teammates with Casey Rogers when Freedom won the 1998 state championship.

The unofficial record for dunks by any one player in a game for FHS is five. It is held by Leon Johnson, Rob Noyes and tied this year by Philly Harris. I think the most dunks I have seen by the team in a game is six. This year four different Patriot players have at least one dunk in a game. The most heralded dunk ever by a Freedom player was probably when Freddie Kincaid threw one down over James Worthy (but that was before my time).

I haven’t seen Kendre Harrison from Reidsville who is 6’ 8 and freshman play yet. But only heard about him. But I could imagine the dunking show he would put on by time of his junior and senior year. Has anyone seen play this year.

I haven’t seen Kendre Harrison from Reidsville who is 6’ 8 and freshman play yet. But only heard about him. But I could imagine the dunking show he would put on by time of his junior and senior year. Has anyone seen play this year.
Check out the youtube highlights of the Trinity game for a couple of Kendre slams.

Probably the dunker with the most highlights ever at Reidsville was Jerome Simpson, a three-sport standout who played in the NFL and had the famous flip over the defender TD. Remember this:

Check out the youtube highlights of the Trinity game for a couple of Kendre slams.

Probably the dunker with the most highlights ever at Reidsville was Jerome Simpson, a three-sport standout who played in the NFL and had the famous flip over the defender TD. Remember this:
K. Harrison is going to have some awesome years at Reidsville. lm curious to see what direction he goes and who he plays for when he graduates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT