ADVERTISEMENT

"As The Crow Flies"

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
Definition of eating crow:
Eating crow means humiliation by admitting having been proven wrong after taking a strong position.

Who's eating crow today?
Someone pick a winner that lost?

any takers!

calpreps still has Reidsville ranked behind Bunker Hill (who they just beat and Monroe who was beaten by Bunker Hill the week before)...and NE ranked further down (even being undfeated).........

Reactions: daagoob
Max Preps loses too, none of them are any good!
And come if the lame articles about games, a middle schooler could handle them better
HighSchoolOt interviewed our local newspaper sports writer after the win Friday night and it couldn’t of been a worse interview. It was just sad how clueless our sports guy was about Northeastern. I’m willing to bet this was probably the first game he’s attended because it was a disaster. They should’ve interviewed one of our coaches.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Simmons doesn’t make a prediction on our game. He hates both teams equally.

Y’all realize that there is no personal bias in Simmons model, right? It’s just an algorithm.

I really hate to jump in on this love fest between a self proclaimed "Wizard" and a "Goob" but these comments about Simmons and his ratings are comical.

Clinton is the #1 ranked 2A team based on his ratings last week. I also suspect Shelby, Reidsville and Northeastern will move up based on results from this past Friday night. Oh the horror!

His projections have been correct 83% of the time across all classifications this season. First three round of the playoffs, he was correct on 87% of his picks. Could either of you do better than that? Either making picks based off your "knowledge" of HS football from across the state (not what you get from scores or a message boards) or a formula that you design and implement taking into account whatever factors you deem acceptable? Are either of you correct on 83% of your decisions you make on a daily basis? Unfair question because based on Wizard's posts as he is never wrong and if he is and you call him on it you go on ignore, but I digress.

Early in the season, you both bemoaned the RPI ratings. Well, seems to me those worked out for both Clinton and Northeastern in the end. Is it a perfect formula? No. Is any formula perfect? Not for HS football its not.

How many times has his formula had Clinton or Northeastern as the underdog this season? The Whiteville/Neast game based on his calculations (or his formula) was almost dead even so in those cases he picks the winner. He got it wrong but it wasnt like it was a blow out so in reality it was close to a toss up. So what is the gripe?

It does appear for whatever reason the picks were off this past weekend but it happens.

Each week I should be more surprised by the complaining and whining but I and others have come to expect it.

Think about it, do you really think a grown man who probably has countless other things (family, profession, hobbies..etc) really sits around and thinks, "Gee, lets see how I can manipulate a formula picking sporting events to have Duplin County teams and western teams ranked higher than they should be?" Or, "lets see how I can anger a guy who paints cars and frequents pool rooms and a retiree who stays up too late this week with my picks."

I mean come on guys, your teams are playing this week with a chance to go to a game that one has never won and the other hasn't won in 18 years. Find joy and pride in that instead of this constant griping that makes both of you seem petty and just plain miserable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT