ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Area III teams for 2017

Sportsnut17

Oct 7, 2005
There is no changes in the Senior teams form last year. There will be 13 teams.

Junior program seems to still remain strong. There is a total of 24 teams. A couple of changes, it appears that a single Junior Rowan team is no more. There will be a Carson, East Rowan, West Rowan and a combined N. Rowan/ Salisbury team. Another change is longtime team Wilkes has dropped but West Stokes has taken it's place. Also Cary has petitioned the state to join Area III and has been granted that request.

The pitching limit rule is being discussed at the national level and should have a definitive answer on what is going to be used later this week. The discussion is leaning toward a rule not quite as strict.

Anyone have anything else, feel free to add.

Sports Nut can you list the current senior teams for me and which teams have folded in the last 3 years for senior? Appreciate it!

Teams for 2017:
Concord
Davidson County
Eastern Randolph
Greensboro
High Point
Kannapolis
Kernersville
Mocksville
Mooresville
Randolph County
Rowan County
Stanley County
Winston-Salem

Teams I can remember Dropping over the last several years:
1-Burlington
2-Wilkes
3-Western Forsyth
4-South Rowan
5-Ledford-I don't remember their exact name, maybe Davidson/Thomasville
6-Lake Norman
7-Another Greensboro team
8-Montgomery County, drop and add every other year
9-Surry County

I thought there could be 2 that would drop this year, but it didn't happen.

Rowan County American Legion baseball is holding sign-ups for Senior and Junior teams on April 23 at 4 p.m. This includes all county Jr. Legion teams as well. The meeting will be held at the Harold B. Jarrett Post 342 on Lincolnton Road in Salisbury.

Players need to bring a copy of their birth certificate or a copy of their driver’s license.

Parents should plan to attend to sign medical forms. A notary public will be on hand to notarize Form 2’s. Any questions should be directed to team manager Mark Cauble at 704-798-9991.

West Boy may I ask why you guys have a notary public for form 2? Have you done that in the past or is that new for this year?

Last edited:
Exactly right, but I have had some parents say he is 18, he can sign for himself also.

I was told by the team manager that he requires it for Rowan. I'm guessing it's not required but rather "strongly encouraged."

Teams for 2017:
Concord
Davidson County
Eastern Randolph
Greensboro
High Point
Kannapolis
Kernersville
Mocksville
Mooresville
Randolph County
Rowan County
Stanley County
Winston-Salem

Teams I can remember Dropping over the last several years:
1-Burlington
2-Wilkes
3-Western Forsyth
4-South Rowan
5-Ledford-I don't remember their exact name, maybe Davidson/Thomasville
6-Lake Norman
7-Another Greensboro team
8-Montgomery County, drop and add every other year
9-Surry County

I thought there could be 2 that would drop this year, but it didn't happen.

Davidson still has a team to my knowledge. They've changed their name from Lexington to Lexington-Davidson to the Davidson Warriors I think. I know South Rowan will not have another team this year. The Lake Norman team used to be the Mooresville Legends, but it's now just Mooresville again.

Davidson still has a team to my knowledge. They've changed their name from Lexington to Lexington-Davidson to the Davidson Warriors I think. I know South Rowan will not have another team this year. The Lake Norman team used to be the Mooresville Legends, but it's now just Mooresville again.
Still lost 2 teams, Lexington and Davidson combined about 3 years ago. Lexington played at Holt-Moffit, Davidson played at Ledford. Mooresville had a team that played at Lake Norman HS and another team that played at Mooresville HS.

Still lost 2 teams, Lexington and Davidson combined about 3 years ago. Lexington played at Holt-Moffit, Davidson played at Ledford. Mooresville had a team that played at Lake Norman HS and another team that played at Mooresville HS.

I wasn't aware there were two Davidson County teams. I knew there were two Mooresville teams for a few years.

There is no changes in the Senior teams form last year. There will be 13 teams.

Junior program seems to still remain strong. There is a total of 24 teams. A couple of changes, it appears that a single Junior Rowan team is no more. There will be a Carson, East Rowan, West Rowan and a combined N. Rowan/ Salisbury team. Another change is longtime team Wilkes has dropped but West Stokes has taken it's place. Also Cary has petitioned the state to join Area III and has been granted that request.

The pitching limit rule is being discussed at the national level and should have a definitive answer on what is going to be used later this week. The discussion is leaning toward a rule not quite as strict.

Anyone have anything else, feel free to add.

Regarding this year's Area III Junior program, you said there were 24 teams. And I think I'm correct that there were 24 last year as well.

But if I'm reading your post correctly, then the net effect of the changes you've noted would seem to be greater than zero.

Cary +2 (Cary has 2 teams: the Bulls and the Cardinals (formerly the Colts)).
Wilkes -1
Rowan -1
West Stokes +1
East Rowan +1
N. Rowan/Salisbury +1

That would seem to be a net of +3, for a total of 27 teams, no? I do realize I'm most likely missing something...

Probably what would help best would be to see how the Area III Junior teams will be split into the 3 divisions for 2017. Is that something someone can provide?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding this year's Area III Junior program, you said there were 24 teams. And I think I'm correct that there were 24 last year as well.

But if I'm reading your post correctly, then the net effect of the changes you've noted would seem to be greater than zero.

Cary +2 (Cary has 2 teams: the Bulls and the Cardinals (formerly the Colts)).
Wilkes -1
Rowan -1
West Stokes +1
East Rowan +1
N. Rowan/Salisbury +1

That would seem to be a net of +3, for a total of 27 teams, no? I do realize I'm most likely missing something...

Probably what would help best would be to see how the Area III Junior teams will be split into the 3 divisions for 2017. Is that something someone can provide?

Thanks in advance.

OK, you passed math and I failed. Welcome Area III.

Reactions: thekidd12
Back to authority being executed without the authority to do so. A group of Legionaires stood up in the NC Convention around 2011 and asked the Baseball Committee and Chairman, how they thought they could come up with rules outside the rules of the National Baseball Committee or write a rulebook that is better than the National one? The Department, which is the Legion term for states, can only make rule changes that are more strict regarding recruiting. They do not have the authority to demand that Form 2's be notarized. I'm not an obstructionist, nor do I like just pushing against the system, but the system is only as strong as the adherence of the rules and policies. You can't have something special or high quality without dedication to make it such. If we notarize ours, it will only be because we think it helps our kids. Wish I would have been at the meeting now. This stuff is really not that hard, some people just seem to make it that way.

Actually Area III comish says they will be notarized this year.

I sure hope they made that well known so someone doesn't get caught with their pants down later in the season. We know these things like to happen in Legion ball as they have over the years.

If he is 18 and lives on his own he has to use his parents. If he is living with someone else who is his official (Court Approved) legal guardian he can use their address.

Remember he can also use his high school as well. If a legion team uses his high school as a base school then he will have to play for them. If his high school is not a base school he can play for the legion team that is next closest from high school to the next closest base high school.

If your sons high school is not a base school most of the time the domicile distance and high school address distance to the next closest team is usually is for the same team.

If he is 18 and lives on his own he has to use his parents. If he is living with someone else who is his official (Court Approved) legal guardian he can use their address.

Remember he can also use his high school as well. If a legion team uses his high school as a base school then he will have to play for them. If his high school is not a base school he can play for the legion team that is next closest from high school to the next closest base high school.

If your sons high school is not a base school most of the time the domicile distance and high school address distance to the next closest team is usually is for the same team.
if he is 18 he doesnt need a legal guardian he is a adult,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT