ADVERTISEMENT

All-time top 1A teams

Deana_King

Staff
May 31, 2001
Fun topic that should get a lot of attention and comments. Now, I know some teams have played some years in upper classifications, but this is for their time in 1A.

Who are the top 1A programs of all-time?

I will post my list later, but Robbinsville is at the top.

I'll make the case for Robbinsville

*15 total titles. One was a co title. Highest in 1a.
*Five titles in a row. 1st in 1a. 2nd all time in all classifications
*All titles won under one name and one organization. Highest in state all classes.
*Average a title every five years. Highest average in any classification.
* Highest state title win percentage probably in any classification. (15-2). Around 88.3%

*All titles won under one name and one organization. Highest in state all classes.
* Highest state title win percentage probably in any classification. (15-2). Around 88.3%
Can’t argue with that
Murphy will have to be next in line

What was robbinsville's best "team" in your opinion? Like what year & why.

Reactions: RealStihl

I think it's a toss up 1976 team and 1980 team.
Both teams were powerhouses, I lean towards 1980 team just by a little bit they beat sylva Webster that year and sylva won the 2a championship.

WOW!! That is impressive! The Coach that won the most of the titles just passed away? I bet his viewing and funeral was something else with all the players getting together to tell old stories. I hope the Bog Oaks stays their home field forever. I hope this rebuild goes smooth and finished on time as well. I really enjoy reading all of these old history lessons/stories on these great teams and programs! Keep them
Coming!!

I think it's a toss up 1976 team and 1980 team.
Both teams were powerhouses, I lean towards 1980 team just by a little bit they beat sylva Webster that year and sylva won the 2a championship.
Was that Sylva team with the famous Streeter boys on it? I loved reading the stories about them?

What Robbinsville team had the young man who cut his arm
So bad with a chainsaw before season? I am not even going to try and spell his last name? I don’t anyone to think I was being disrespectful. I am pretty sure it started with a W?

Big Oaks isn't going be the same.
Chris Hughes won't have Big Oaks on the list as best places to watch a game anymore. Sight lines have been compromised. Time to move on to the new stadium in a few years.
Very impressive to achieve this in less than 2 months though.

Last edited:
Was that Sylva team with the famous Streeter boys on it? I loved reading the stories about them?

So bad with a chainsaw before season? I am not even going to try and spell his last name? I don’t anyone to think I was being disrespectful. I am pretty sure it started with a W?

I don't recall but W makes me think Wachacha

I don't recall but W makes me think Wachacha
That’s it. I think his son or nephew told the story year before last on a thread. I really got a kick out of that! What a hard nosed tough young man he must have been!

If we are talking about All time 1A top teams (that can be a bit misleading), I would put the 86 and 87 Murphy team against any team Robbinsville or any other 1A team has ever fielded. They were Men amongst boys those 2 years and had one of the best athletes this state has ever produced in Carl Pickens.

As far as the best 1A program, it is hard to argue with the titles Robbinsville has accumulated although I will argue that Robbinsville did win several of those titles when Murphy moved to 2A. Also, Murphy leads the All-time series with Robbinsville 46-26. Since 2016, the series is pretty even with Murphy holding a 6-5 advantage (including playoffs).

So yes, Robbinsville does have more titles but with Murphy having a very comfortable lead in the All-time series, its really hard to say which is the best program.

Twist it anyway you want.

Robbinsville 15
Murphy 8

2016? 😂

Let's do 2014 to present
Rville leads 9-6

Reactions: 87SwO
It says top 1a program not best year.
You’re right. It does. My bad. As far as best program, Robbinsville has more titles but that doesn’t always tell the entire story. I’d say it’s a coin flip between Robbinsville, Murphy, and I’ll even say Swain. The devils had some beastly teams under Boyce Dietz, especially the Heath Shuler years. It’s hard to say whose program is better. All three are excellent.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
If we are talking about All time 1A top teams (that can be a bit misleading), I would put the 86 and 87 Murphy team against any team Robbinsville or any other 1A team has ever fielded. They were Men amongst boys those 2 years and had one of the best athletes this state has ever produced in Carl Pickens.

As far as the best 1A program, it is hard to argue with the titles Robbinsville has accumulated although I will argue that Robbinsville did win several of those titles when Murphy moved to 2A. Also, Murphy leads the All-time series with Robbinsville 46-26. Since 2016, the series is pretty even with Murphy holding a 6-5 advantage (including playoffs).

So yes, Robbinsville does have more titles but with Murphy having a very comfortable lead in the All-time series, its really hard to say which is the best program.
Maybe the 86 team not the 87 cause they lost 1 game that year to swain. Yes was the 86 bulldogs was really dang good team not taking nothing away from them. But for the series go if a 2a team doesn't beat a 1a team then they don't have a good football program that would be like if Reidsville was in our conference they should beat us most of the time cause more kids. Now to say that none of the Robbinsville teams would touch the 86 bulldog team is a little bit of a stretch cause there is a lot of good teams Robbinsville produced there not 14 state championship on that bored for nothing. Not saying they would beat the 86 bulldogs im just saying it would be a dang war

You’re right. It does. My bad. As far as best program, Robbinsville has more titles but that doesn’t always tell the entire story. I’d say it’s a coin flip between Robbinsville, Murphy, and I’ll even say Swain. The devils had some beastly teams under Boyce Dietz, especially the Heath Shuler years. It’s hard to say whose program is better. All three are excellent.
In my opinion the SMC is the best Conference in 1a heck even the state historically someone is always near the end during playoffs

Reactions: NC nole fan
Twist it anyway you want.

Robbinsville 15
Murphy 8

2016? 😂

Let's do 2014 to present
Rville leads 9-6
Well heck BK, 2014? I see why you didn't go back to 2010, lol. From 2010 to 2014, Murphy leads 6-0. Should we go back even further?

Robbinsville success against Murphy has come since 2014 but since 2010, Murphy leads the series 12-9. It says top "All-time" program and in my opinion since Murphy leads the "All-time" series over Robbinsville by a comfortable margin, I would go with Murphy. Some may call it Bias but the Wins and Losses against each other counts for themselves.

Reactions: sbbbfan
They about to blow a gasket.
This year rville was crowned best public school stadium by Chris.
Best 1a program by D.King.

We know Robbinsville has the better school and athletic complexes.

We done things to Big Oaks this year that Murphy could never accomplish. You guys can't even keep your schools from falling down around u.

Robbinsville will have a new stadium soon and already has a wrestling building like a big college.

All this while being one of the smallest, poorest, and least populated counties in the state.

Last edited:
These Murphy guys talk out both side of there 👄 mouth. Saying 46-26 all time but then say some of rville titles came when Murphy was 2a.

Was Murphy 2a during any of those 46 wins.
You wanna count the wins when 2a but then discredit titles we have when Murphy was 2a.

I love it. 🖤

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Fun topic that should get a lot of attention and comments. Now, I know some teams have played some years in upper classifications, but this is for their time in 1A.

Who are the top 1A programs of all-time?

I will post my list later, but Robbinsville is at the top.

Oh no.
You open a can of worms. 🐛 🪱
😂

Told you. 😂

Those Pickens Murphy teams weren't losing to anybody, but the question was the best program, not the best one or two teams. BTW, the Texana of my youth is a vanished world, just like Happy Top of my youth is gone. Long gone.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport

Jimmy had finished at Tennessee and Steve was in his last season at UNC. Eric would have been a freshman or 10th grader.

Jimmy had finished at Tennessee and Steve was in his last season at UNC. Eric would have been a freshman or 10th grader.
Thanks! I sure enjoy these old stories when they put names in it and the accomplishments or what they done. Makes the rivalries more exciting! Thanks

Reactions: btango
1960-1969 , Glen Alpine High School was a 1A(60-65) 2A (66-69) power with a record of 98-13-2.

They were 1961, 1962, 1964 and 1965 Regional Champions. the '61 AND '62 teams were undefeated
and finished ranked #1 in the state by the Greensboro News and Record.

Led by legendary coach, Ralph "Jug" Wilson, Glen Alpine consolidated into Freedom High School in 1973,

Last edited:

“David Gentry then enters the chat”
🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT