ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle's Future?

The two big issues with closing a high school in Stanly County is Albemarle losing the school that is in the county seat along with the geographical and logistical issues faced if South were closed. It is also apparent that AHS is the best campus and building for both condition and expansion (except for the gym and on campus non football athletic facilities). The issue closing North is the disbursement of the student body in great numbers from a geographical standpoint and the available space at Albemarle. North closes but AHS will need to district about 30% of their student body in the south easten section of the current district to South Stanly along with some redistricting of the North district in limited numbers to South and West. The disbursement of AHS students is due to due to keeping South viable and in line with the other two high schools and due to the size of a North/Albemarle combined student body. About 15-20% of the current North student body can be redistricted with the largest group to West and a smaller portion to South due to the small population density in the southeast area of the North district.

There is a precedent that resembles this in Mint Hill with the opening of Rocky River HS. It is not perfect and although the BOE may be totally on the wrong path they have taken there are issues that will take some form of compromise.

I may be wrong but I believe the issue with gym expansion and non football athletics has already been looked at and I believe it was determined there was plenty of room. Additionally I believe with the new baseball fields coming in that it was agreed AHS would remain there not sure though. The gym and locker room facilities are in pretty good shape. The only issue I would see is that you would want to expand the seating of the gym.

I don't think at this point closing any schools is a or should be a priority. I think academics, and redistricting with the goal of eliminating mobile units should be the #1 and #2. I say that because of the research I seen and it really being noted in every report that it's not really more efficient to close schools. I believe if we do a cost audit and see honestly where funds are being spent we will see a lot of waste or maybe just a better way of doing things.

The bottom line in order to get our schools where we want them the BOE will have to gain the trust of the community and get people involved motivated by a common goal. I said this before but politics have no room in education. This isn't about republican or democrat or who your buddies are. This is about creating a successful school system for ALL students in the county and not just what's good for the NS or WS kids. If one school fails we as a community and county fail and that has to be our mindset.

Also mobile units need to be taken off of capacity availability numbers. If you are going to invest 2 million on closing in outdoor classrooms for safety concerns how safe do you think kids in mobile units are?

Reactions: btango
I may be wrong but I believe the issue with gym expansion and non football athletics has already been looked at and I believe it was determined there was plenty of room. Additionally I believe with the new baseball fields coming in that it was agreed AHS would remain there not sure though. The gym and locker room facilities are in pretty good shape. The only issue I would see is that you would want to expand the seating of the gym.

I think if they closed North the baseball and softball facilities should probably be upgraded and continued to be used. It is three miles farther to North than to Don Montgomery and farther than to Rock Creek Park. I think the baseball facility at North has potential. It is my understanding there is an engineering issue for expansion of the gym but it could be cost prohibitive more than actually being not possible.

Agree that the perfect deal for everyone is all schools remain open but I do believe that South is your long term issue for keeping four high schools open.

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I think if they closed North the baseball and softball facilities should probably be upgraded and continued to be used. It is three miles farther to North than to Don Montgomery and farther than to Rock Creek Park. I think the baseball facility at North has potential. It is my understanding there is an engineering issue for expansion of the gym but it could be cost prohibitive more than actually being not possible.

Agree that the perfect deal for everyone is all schools remain open but I do believe that South is your long term issue for keeping four high schools open.

I don't think South is the right one to close either because that is the only school representing the south part of the county. It would make me just as nervous to close south as AHS.

I could see the engineering discussion on the gym. Even if they could I don't know if that would be the cost effective way to go. It may be better to remove that and rebuild a new portion there, I'm not sure though. I know you have plenty of room from the edge of the building to the parking lot to widen out the gym and plenty of room towards where the buses are to expand it in that direction as well. I know we have quite a few games that we reach that 550-600 mark. That's why the game vs North was moved to Pfeiffer during basketball season. I believe the first game vs North last season we had 1300 (est) people there and the next one was about the same. The year prior both guys and girls played each other in the conf tourney championship and we had 1600 (est) people there. The boys sectional championship against Cherokee they couldn't allow anymore in and had about a good number of people outside looking in the little gym Windows lol.

Probably right foot. This fight is bigger than any football game or state championship game we have ever been in. The stakes are much higher.

Reactions: WMFootballFanatic

I would say the MOST disturbing thing about everything going on is the fundamental issues are not even discussed. We have smart boards chrome books for every kid down to the 3rd grade got the stem that is in the middle schools now BUT no phonics reading curriculum for k and 1st grade and they stopped teaching hand writing even. Smh how are we suppose to get ahead academically when we are fundamentally failing the young kids in kindergarten and first grade? Honestly? No money my a** they just are misusing the funds they do have. You can't build a house from the roof down.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
The 1010 report this morning said that the County Commissioners have passed consideration of a 1/4 of a cent sales tax earmarked for education. They rejected an attempt to amend the vote based on the condition that no schools would be closed via plan A or plan B.

The BOE is behind plan B. In plan B, Oakboro Elem, Norwood Elem, and Albemarle HS are closed. There is no magnet plan in plan B. The Albemarle campus will then house the Alb. Middle School and the elementary school will cross the street to occupy the AMS site. They did announce that a community forum will be held in the near future.

Funding is the key. I doubt the sales tax will be approved by the voters in the districts where schools are being shuttered. As written, the tax referendum will be on the primary ballot in the Spring. It has as much chance passing as I have of coaching the Panthers next Sunday. It will not happen. The question then becomes will the BOE continue to push for these changes without the additional funds. I say they will try...and will use the failed tax increase as another reason why they have to close certain schools. In the end, the NAACP will be the deciding factor. If they choose to represent the AHS side of the argument, this could drag out for years. If they don't battle the closing, I think the BOE will pass plan B by their April meeting. Come August, Buddy and I will just have to watch football somewhere else. (I bet the courts and lawyers drag this out for decades. Viva la Bulldog!)

Reactions: Buddy Rich
The 1010 report this morning said that the County Commissioners have passed consideration of a 1/4 of a cent sales tax earmarked for education. They rejected an attempt to amend the vote based on the condition that no schools would be closed via plan A or plan B.

The BOE is behind plan B. In plan B, Oakboro Elem, Norwood Elem, and Albemarle HS are closed. There is no magnet plan in plan B. The Albemarle campus will then house the Alb. Middle School and the elementary school will cross the street to occupy the AMS site. They did announce that a community forum will be held in the near future.

Funding is the key. I doubt the sales tax will be approved by the voters in the districts where schools are being shuttered. As written, the tax referendum will be on the primary ballot in the Spring. It has as much chance passing as I have of coaching the Panthers next Sunday. It will not happen. The question then becomes will the BOE continue to push for these changes without the additional funds. I say they will try...and will use the failed tax increase as another reason why they have to close certain schools. In the end, the NAACP will be the deciding factor. If they choose to represent the AHS side of the argument, this could drag out for years. If they don't battle the closing, I think the BOE will pass plan B by their April meeting. Come August, Buddy and I will just have to watch football somewhere else. (I bet the courts and lawyers drag this out for decades. Viva la Bulldog!)
There's still hope for you to gain membership in the NCC. I think now as long as you pay the initiation fee and membership dues, have a valid driver's license and can drive after dark you are a shoe in for membership.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
You may be able to get an injunction to stop it right after the decision is made, but a hearing to rule on the merits of that injunction would happen quickly thereafter. That is why there is a need to go ahead and make the decision from the school's standpoint. The courts will provide wide leeway for the school board's authority to manage their schools and will only usurp that authority if closing the schools creates an obvious disparate impact on the community which is what will be argued. And then the Board will throw up the funding and academic issues. Basically, if it goes to Court, it is 95% or more in the school's favor would be my guess. I don't see it being tied up longer than 2-3 months, although certain groups may grandstand and make it appear otherwise. If they decide to close schools, it will happen. Hopefully the cost of possible litigation will deter that decision. Yes, the schools could be closed but does spending a half million bucks to make it happen make sense?

Reactions: Buddy Rich
The speculation is that they will vote or atleast the vote will be announced on Dec 1. In regards to the impact on the community economically that has been well researched and studied. Keep this in mind as well its not only a half a million dollars if this does in fact go through its a 14 million dollar investment in NS and WS just to be able to accomodate these kids. From speaking to everyone I know I think if the schools stay open I believe the tax has a chance if they are shuttered no way. That is just my opinion.

Additionally I don't think this BOE wants to battle the NAACP as they have done things in the past couple of months that clearly shows a bias/discrimination whatever you want to call it towards AHS. With the special program at Oakboro they would be nuts to close that school as it is one of the best program around.

You may be able to get an injunction to stop it right after the decision is made, but a hearing to rule on the merits of that injunction would happen quickly thereafter. That is why there is a need to go ahead and make the decision from the school's standpoint. The courts will provide wide leeway for the school board's authority to manage their schools and will only usurp that authority if closing the schools creates an obvious disparate impact on the community which is what will be argued. And then the Board will throw up the funding and academic issues. Basically, if it goes to Court, it is 95% or more in the school's favor would be my guess. I don't see it being tied up longer than 2-3 months, although certain groups may grandstand and make it appear otherwise. If they decide to close schools, it will happen. Hopefully the cost of possible litigation will deter that decision. Yes, the schools could be closed but does spending a half million bucks to make it happen make sense?

Research Goldsboro HS. Eerie how close these two situations are. They tried to close GHS in what...1995? How did that turn out? It depends on who is asking the courts to consider the reasons for the closing. This could be as ugly as a set of snare drums in the middle of Dueling Banjos. I don't think the effort to close AHS will fit the music being played in court.

Oh, its about to get ugly, wait until the NAACP finishes up with that investigation that shows clear discrimination. I know a person who knows one of the board member personally, and they said and I quote "The people of this county don't want their kids going to school with Amhurst kids" end quote....no lie

Mark my words, it's gonna be Medusa ugly.

Research Goldsboro HS. Eerie how close these two situations are. They tried to close GHS in what...1995? How did that turn out? It depends on who is asking the courts to consider the reasons for the closing. This could be as ugly as a set of snare drums in the middle of Dueling Banjos. I don't think the effort to close AHS will fit the music being played in court.

Let us keep in mind when they surprisingly just voted on open enrollment and how that all went down. Football coach hiring shoot even vball coach hiring. There is a lot there I believe through the investigation will come out. Additionally in order tiki study closing one school without bias etc you must first analyze all schools to determine the reasoning of AHS over these other schools. Considering that when these plans were announced and the fact that AHS is in every plan to close and this BOE had not even done required studies to even put forth a plan speaks volumes.

It's no secret walk into WS or NS and then walk into AHS and you will see a vastly different facility. Walk in during lunch and you are going to see over crowding, and they think they can fit another 140 kids in WS without changes or additions.

I would like to say some people are for this plan or any of them don't really know what they are. I have had the opportunity to listen in to conversations about it and I am shocked at how honestly oblivious people are about what plan is being pushed and what that means. Additionally like I said shocked at the lack of focus on bettering education at the early stages. That's just disturbing.

Reactions: sway1532
Oh, its about to get ugly, wait until the NAACP finishes up with that investigation that shows clear discrimination. I know a person who knows one of the board member personally, and they said and I quote "The people of this county don't want their kids going to school with Amhurst kids" end quote....no lie

Unfortunately sway that's a well known statement specifically from the west side of the county. Btango even said something close to that but it was more generalized to Albemarle kids. Smh.

Something just hit me.

The event that happened early in the year caused all this to go into full swing. Now lets think about this. When that student came to AHS after stabbing another student at WM, why did they allow this thug to come into our school system; AHS in particular? AHS was already a hot bed for un-favored activity. The powers at hand knew this and basically tipped the scale on purpose....they would worry about the consequences later as they are being sued at this moment. Shooting, stabbing, it didn't matter, I believe they wanted something to happen either way you look at it.

I don't know if any of you know about the Hegelian Dialectic, but this fits right into what the BOE is doing.

I'll be damned.

Something just hit me.

The event that happened early in the year caused all this to go into full swing. Now lets think about this. When that student came to AHS after stabbing another student at WM, why did they allow this thug to come into our school system; AHS in particular? AHS was already a hot bed for un-favored activity. The powers at hand knew this and basically tipped the scale on purpose....they would worry about the consequences later as they are being sued at this moment. Shooting, stabbing, it didn't matter, I believe they wanted something to happen either way you look at it.

I don't know if any of you know about the Hegelian Dialectic, but this fits right into what the BOE is doing.

I'll be damned.

Honestly I'm not sure how he got into AHS with his past history that they would have had to known about it would seem to me that the most he could have attended was the academy until he went through the proper steps. I'm not sure or going to speculate as to why but he should not have been in AHS, WS, NS, or SS. I could not see anybody putting kids in danger regardless of this situation but I am still unclear to how he got into AHS based off of what happened at WM.

Honestly I'm not sure how he got into AHS with his past history that they would have had to known about it would seem to me that the most he could have attended was the academy until he went through the proper steps. I'm not sure or going to speculate as to why but he should not have been in AHS, WS, NS, or SS. I could not see anybody putting kids in danger regardless of this situation but I am still unclear to how he got into AHS based off of what happened at WM.

There are some sick people in this world nation....there is nothing new under the sun.

There are some sick people in this world nation....there is nothing new under the sun.
Just curious - what do you guys think is the solution? Let's face it Stanly County does not need the number of HS's we currently have. I've heard a lot about what many don't want to see happen but little about realistic options on what should happen. It's easy to say this and that but where is the money to come from to pay for things.

Reactions: atucker2
Just curious - what do you guys think is the solution? Let's face it Stanly County does not need the number of HS's we currently have. I've heard a lot about what many don't want to see happen but little about realistic options on what should happen. It's easy to say this and that but where is the money to come from to pay for things.

What makes you believe we don't need the high schools we have? We have two high schools that without mobiles factored in are over capacity kids can't eat lunch!!

You can redistrict and get the kids out of the mobiles very easily and that will balance out the enrollment.

As far as the money, yes they do the funding they are getting is comparable to other counties with the same amount of schools. Is it a funding problem or a wasteful spending problem?

Unfortunately sway my disappointment is where has the NAACP and the community been as AHS has wasted away? Where have the parents been as the school's academics have withered? There are not many parents like Shawn Baldwin stepping up. Kudos to Shawn. The amount of parental support at the school is disappointing. Many cannot put money into the program but going to the school to help with concessions, cleaning, basic improvements, and just to be there to help would have went a long way.

Just to make it clear, I have been harsh to Oakboro about dropping the ball after they were saved previously with the Ridgecrest closing and to all the school supporters for dropping off the radar when it appears the closing have went away.

Academics withered? To say AHS academics have withered would imply that the other schools are academically good. NS being 3pts higher and considering AHS has shown improvement wouldn't that argument be really null and void considering the failure of our school system to even being able to
Institute at the k and 1st grade a phonics reading program. They don't have a reading curriculum tango. If you are not building a foundation at the early years how are you suppose to increase academically later on? I know parents and teachers have spoke on this so where does the blame fall?

I am sorry I respect you a lot but I wouldn't call AHS academically withering as much as I would say they have been set up to fail. Additionally Shawn is a great man a definite class act.

I would also state that the lack of communication also hurts the engagement of parents. I know this for a fact.

Something just hit me.

I'll be damned.

They may have limited choices in accepting the "thug" into the student body. Denying a student entry into his home district school has challenges. I agree he should not have been there but how long do you keep him an alternative program.

I think the shooting tipped the scales but the changes were already in motion before the shooting happened. I think the conspiracy theories are stronger than the actual reality.

They may have limited choices in accepting the "thug" into the student body. Denying a student entry into his home district school has challenges. I agree he should not have been there but how long do you keep him an alternative program.

I think the shooting tipped the scales but the changes were already in motion before the shooting happened. I think the conspiracy theories are stronger than the actual reality.

He would have been in the alternative school until he passed all 4 steps. If you are on step 3 and get in trouble you go back to level 1

Academics withered? To say AHS academics have withered would imply that the other schools are academically good. NS being 3pts higher and considering AHS has shown improvement wouldn't that argument be really null and void considering the failure of our school system to even being able to
Institute at the k and 1st grade a phonics reading program. They don't have a reading curriculum tango. If you are not building a foundation at the early years how are you suppose to increase academically later on? I know parents and teachers have spoke on this so where does the blame fall?

I am sorry I respect you a lot but I wouldn't call AHS academically withering as much as I would say they have been set up to fail. Additionally Shawn is a great man a definite class act.

I would also state that the lack of communication also hurts the engagement of parents. I know this for a fact.

Many of the students that have left was due to lack of academic offerings. I expect children to be able to read and write when they get to school but the problem for too many high schools is the kids have been slid through for years and are unprepared. If a student is held back or questioned it is too often the "fault" of the school or teachers. AHS is a microcosm of America. It is the trophy / participation society. Reward average. A big problem is schools seem to be more interested in teaching to pass a test than to be successful.

Speak to people from areas of the county and they will tell you that AHS was the top academic school in the county for years with North usually being viewed as second. AHS has dropped farther than all of them. I do not think any of the schools are excelling and I personally think West Stanly does less with more to some degree. AHS has more challenges. Personally I think the school needs a grass roots program where they get the community involved with tutoring and nuturing students to qualify for college from freshman year on. If there is a student who looks to be a BCS recruit or a D2 volleyballer I want to set down with them day one freshman year and plan a path to have them in the position to qualify for college. It takes more than a teacher, a coach, a counselor, an administrator. Community involvement is integral to better academics, better discpline, better citizenship. What AHS needs more than anything is a dynamic principal and strong role models in teaching positions.

Many of the students that have left was due to lack of academic offerings. I expect children to be able to read and write when they get to school but the problem for too many high schools is the kids have been slid through for years and are unprepared. If a student is held back or questioned it is too often the "fault" of the school or teachers. AHS is a microcosm of America. It is the trophy / participation society. Reward average. A big problem is schools seem to be more interested in teaching to pass a test than to be successful.

Speak to people from areas of the county and they will tell you that AHS was the top academic school in the county for years with North usually being viewed as second. AHS has dropped farther than all of them. I do not think any of the schools are excelling and I personally think West Stanly does less with more to some degree. AHS has more challenges. Personally I think the school needs a grass roots program where they get the community involved with tutoring and nuturing students to qualify for college from freshman year on. If there is a student who looks to be a BCS recruit or a D2 volleyballer I want to set down with them day one freshman year and plan a path to have them in the position to qualify for college. It takes more than a teacher, a coach, a counselor, an administrator. Community involvement is integral to better academics, better discpline, better citizenship. What AHS needs more than anything is a dynamic principal and strong role models in teaching positions.

I agree with you but when did AHS start the big decline before or after the merger? I think if after it would speak volumes as to the the county wide system instead of the individual school district systems common in other states that are ranked much higher academically. That's just a thought. But typically when you have a board and superintendent over that specific district you have more involvement and the interest of that specified school is the main focus. I know we have discussed this before but that's what I see. I remember seeing my superintendent on a regular basis and actually his office was at the high school not a central office and it still is today. He was always involved with the kids and had a great relationship with them. Of course the principal always was the ruler of the school of course but the superintendent was over Elementary, middle, and HS. With him being there and involved he always had a beat for what was going on and where improvements should be made.

Additionally he was at all sporting events just about and always showed up in school colors and sat with the parents, he also cheered as a fan and was always supportive of all the kids in his district.

I do disagree you can get the same offerings at AHS. There has been 1 team in the county to receive 2 straight team scholar awards and it wasn't gray stone, NS, SS, or WS . On that team you have GPA's of 4.7, 4.4,4.4 etc.

Btango do me a favor and call SCC and find out about the brand new offerings that seemingly nobody has heard of yet. They just got them but I am surprised it's not all over the place. Post what you hear. It starts at the freshman year though Let me know what you find out.

Before the merger students would pay tuition to attend Albemarle. They can go for free to AHS now but they are not coming there. It is actually reversed with students trying to get out of the school. Students came to AHS for the academic opporunities. They normally attended the county school through 8th grade and then entered AHS. That list includes some Morehead Scholars and NCHSAA Student/Athlete of the Year winners.

I spoke with three business owners, current and former, in a local restaurant about six months ago. I asked it they would support a city tax if they could put the money straight to the city schools or adopt another city system again. I got three no votes except one said he would be for it were anything other than a sales tax on all goods except groceries.

I do disagree you can get the same offerings at AHS. There has been 1 team in the county to receive 2 straight team scholar awards and it wasn't gray stone, NS, SS, or WS . On that team you have GPA's of 4.7, 4.4,4.4 etc.

Why were students driving to NSHS to take courses?

I congratulate the students for their success. You and I both know that GPA's do not tell the full story. From first hand knowledge dealing with students from many schools, there are huge disparities between schools and grading.

Why were students driving to NSHS to take courses?

I congratulate the students for their success. You and I both know that GPA's do not tell the full story. From first hand knowledge dealing with students from many schools, there are huge disparities between schools and grading.

The offerings are there. Let me know what you find out. One of those kids was actually just awarded the presidential scholarship of $80,000 And make no mistake these kids classes are very difficult and they work extremely hard. Also 100% of those seniors are in college and not struggling to say the least.

Again let me know what you find out we have discussed something similar before. It's not quite what I discussed previous but a move in the right direction.

Once again with the improvement last year and from what I see this far this year AHS is on the way back Up academically. If they don't pass NS I will be shocked this year.

Before the merger students would pay tuition to attend Albemarle. They can go for free to AHS now but they are not coming there. It is actually reversed with students trying to get out of the school. Students came to AHS for the academic opporunities. They normally attended the county school through 8th grade and then entered AHS. That list includes some Morehead Scholars and NCHSAA Student/Athlete of the Year winners.

I spoke with three business owners, current and former, in a local restaurant about six months ago. I asked it they would support a city tax if they could put the money straight to the city schools or adopt another city system again. I got three no votes except one said he would be for it were anything other than a sales tax on all goods except groceries.

So you are saying after the merger is when it went down hill? So AHS was the top school in the county had people paying to goto there and then they merged and now look where they are. Hmm. You think maybe the bias, dislike, or discrimination has something to do with that?

Unfortunately sway my disappointment is where has the NAACP and the community been as AHS has wasted away? Where have the parents been as the school's academics have withered?

Tango really? are we going there? Where has the "neighborhood" been while AHS has wasted away? Hmm? Where has all the parents been not just ones on the East side of Albemarle, but North, Forest-Hills area, West, Ridge run area etc been? That's a good question... But, I didn't see any of them trying to do anything, but they damn sho was at the E.E. Waddle center crying blues to the NAACP. A least there is a group of people willing to make a stand and they don't live in one of those 500K homes either; I guess when you do that, the sheep will follow.

sway there are not many $500k homes in Albemarle. I expect that very fews students, if any, at AHS lives in a house that would sell for $500k and probably not $400k and $300k would be a reach. Albemarle has stagnant housing values but that does not really matter if everyone has the same common goal, to provide the best possible education for their children. My concern with the open enrollment and students leaving the school by various means was that many of them came from families that were very involved, both with their time and as financial contributors.

A community leader told a parent volunteer when asked about a booster club initiative that his constinuents were discouraged due to the administration. The reason, lack of athletic scholarship opportunities. I have been involved with high school footballers for several years in different capacities. Bottom line, if you cannot push the pencil it does not matter how much you can push the sled. Good player, excellent grades = scholarship. Great player that does not qualify = no scholarship.

You may not be able to contribute financially but you can work in the concession stand, assist in cleaning and maintaining the facilities, helping the staff in some form, volunteering as a tutor if you are academically proficient. I am not saying that no one is participating or assisting but there has been a noticeable drop off. I do not point this at only AHS as I noted, Oakboro had the same laissez-faire attitude about "their" school when they escaped closure when Ridgecrest was shuttered and after things seemed to blow over this past spring.

A little rhetorical when you asked where was the NAACP and community when AHS was wasting away. But I see your point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT