ADVERTISEMENT

2A/2AA Playoff Picture, Conference by Conference Breakdown

IF ED beats Goldsboro and Clinton beats Midway, then how does the result of the JK-WRH game even factor in?

Even if WRH beats JK, they will still have two losses in the conference with one of those being to ED which would give 2nd to ED based on head to head result.

The Clinton/Midway game will play a role as if Clinton wins, Midway will have three losses.

Reactions: tarheelg and dogs79
If you have a three-way tie for first , how do you break the tie.I know they use to flip a coin or draw. But if I read the NCHAA rules right they will now go by the adjusted Max Ratings.

Reactions: tarheelg
Was not at the game, but from the video I have seen the bench clearing fight with Legion Academy Friday night and the game being called by the officials, I would imagine Forest Hills season might be over.

Max Preps's live scorer claimed one of FH's kids hit a coach from that other team :eek: Yikes.. wouldn't be surprised if FH's coach lost his job over that. I'd be ashamed if I was a principal and see an athlete act like that under my watch.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Forbush/NF/Walkertown tie it out.

NF has Surry Central who are a lot alike them so I see it going to the wire unless NF gets a deep pass or two with their speed. Their D will keep SC in check unless they break it off. Walkertown has Atkins.. easy win unless they come sloppy. Forbush has West.. Johnson always preps them to play hard vs West.. West has too many athletes but if the Bush keeps the ball away then maybe, they almost beat them 2 years ago.

Out of those 3 I'd give Forbush the spot, they are the more complete team imo, but it's gonna be hard based off the SOS or MP Ranking. Neither 3 had killer non conference slates, Walkertown's one of the worst in the state. Might be a case of just pure luck.. why I hate that system.

I heard us (NS,) has 830 so we should be small 2A again. West will either toe the line or go 2AA, Forbush looks iffy. NF I hear has grown a bit they will def be 2AA if they make it. Walkertown I'm not sure.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
If you have a three-way tie for first , how do you break the tie.I know they use to flip a coin or draw. But if I read the NCHAA rules right they will now go by the adjusted Max Ratings.
Was thinking it was a drawing, but I may be wrong

Max Preps's live scorer claimed one of FH's kids hit a coach from that other team :eek: Yikes.. wouldn't be surprised if FH's coach lost his job over that. I'd be ashamed if I was a principal and see an athlete act like that under my watch.
I saw the video on Twitter, did not know who Forest Hill was playing, but I know neither team will be eligible for playoffs because virtually all players left the sidelines. I guess who they were playing is not a public or not from N.C. since I have never heard of them.

Reactions: tarheelg
Not a whole lot, Shelby and Burns are locked into 1st & 2nd, and both Chase and South Point seem safe on ranking to make the playoffs; only change might be their seeding in the wild card changing a little
It's definitely possible SP misses the playoffs now.. Even if they do make it, it will obviously change up some 1st round matchups for sure...

IF ED beats Goldsboro and Clinton beats Midway, then how does the result of the JK-WRH game even factor in?

Even if WRH beats JK, they will still have two losses in the conference with one of those being to ED which would give 2nd to ED based on head to head result.

The Clinton/Midway game will play a role as if Clinton wins, Midway will have three losses.
Yes, that's correct

It's definitely possible SP misses the playoffs now.. Even if they do make it, it will obviously change up some 1st round matchups for sure...
I don't think they will fall very far....and even if they do, they can still fall quite a ways and still be safe to make the playoffs....they were 38, and lost to the team ranked 30....shouldn't fall far....if they lose to Shelby this week, they still shouldn't fall very far; different story had they lost to East Rutherford and East Gaston, but from what I remember about the computer rankings and all, you normally won't fall far when you lose to a team ranked higher than you....if they're still in the mid 40s or higher after the Chase loss, they're still a lock for the playoffs; can't finish lower than 4th in conference....R-S Ce. though...they're in danger of being left out, were 55 last week, lost two straight, and have a tough one left with Chase...they very well could fall out of the top 64ish; they need a win against Chase in the worst kind of way; I think SP will be fine...and don't forget, even had they beat Chase, they would have been a wild card anyway behind Shelby & Burns as the auto bid teams, they might be seeded a spot or two lower in the end because of the Chase loss

I don't think they will fall very far....and even if they do, they can still fall quite a ways and still be safe to make the playoffs....they were 38, and lost to the team ranked 30....shouldn't fall far....if they lose to Shelby this week, they still shouldn't fall very far; different story had they lost to East Rutherford and East Gaston, but from what I remember about the computer rankings and all, you normally won't fall far when you lose to a team ranked higher than you....if they're still in the mid 40s or higher after the Chase loss, they're still a lock for the playoffs; can't finish lower than 4th in conference....R-S Ce. though...they're in danger of being left out, were 55 last week, lost two straight, and have a tough one left with Chase...they very well could fall out of the top 64ish; they need a win against Chase in the worst kind of way; I think SP will be fine...and don't forget, even had they beat Chase, they would have been a wild card anyway behind Shelby & Burns as the auto bid teams, they might be seeded a spot or two lower in the end because of the Chase loss
Great info

What kind of seed can you see Owen getting? They will win vs Madison and will finish with a 6-4 record and finish 3rd overall in our Conference which I assume will be a wild card. Our losses were to a 2 loss AC Reynolds and 1 loss teams Mitchell Heritage and Brevard

Not sure I would mind. Sounds like they have struggled lately but arent they East? I dont even know where they are

Reactions: dogs79
Yeah I have seen 10 thru 12. There were some upsets this week though and who really knows who is big or little? I just hope if Shelby goes small that we go big. I saw them vs ACR and ain't nobody touching them. Not even Reidsville

If shelby goes big then I hope we stay small. A 8 seed would be awesome because that would be a home game

Yep. I think it would be a full house and hopefully just as good a game but maybe we could pull this one out instead of letting it slip away

The rain took our athleticism away and it stopped that kick on the 1. Dry field that ball doesnt stop there.

Joey always runs up the middle. Always has. Your D is special but your O leaves you in a bad spot.

Where are the project brackets? Last week HSOT projected Clinton #1 in the east. I coulnt find any projections on WRAL's HSOT tonight.MaxPreps had Clinton #7 (?) with Southwest Edgecomb the only true eastern team ranked #6 ahead of them. SWE has played no one seriously Clinton did beat Wallace Rose Hill. If the DarkHorses beat Midway Friday which I think them will I couldn't imagine the Horses not being #1 seed unless Reidsville goes east. Geographicallyover the years Reidsville as gone either way. What do you think?

Wiz...pretty sure Reidsville will be West 2A....the years we were East, we were 2AA...….and we're definitely 2A numberswise…...….

HSOT May do new projections about midweek. Last ones done on October 30 before a few upsets occurred on Friday. They had Clinton showed as #1 in the East in 2A.

I need to brush up on any updates to this year's playoff qualifying rules....i've heard 2 or 3 different folks mention that rankings come into play for breaking ties.
I think rankings don't have anything to do with in conference tiebreaker. Draws are used for conference ties and rankings for seeding after that.

I think rankings don't have anything to do with in conference tiebreaker. Draws are used for conference ties and rankings for seeding after that.
yes, that's how it's been for years per the NCHSAA.....BUT, if the coaches agree to it at the conference meeting, it is possible that the rankings get used, as if they did the draw and it came out in that order....I believe the conference president will submit the official final standings to NCHSAA after completion of regular, and that list will be not only what sets the auto bids at 1st in every 2A league, 2nd in most 2A leagues, 3rd in CCC, but also what could make or break teams among non automatic qualifiers....leap frog rule could come into play, where a team with a ranking in 30s or 40s would miss playoffs if they finish 5th, but the 4th place team has a ranking of 70, for example, and does not get an at-large wild card bid

Where are the project brackets? Last week HSOT projected Clinton #1 in the east. I coulnt find any projections on WRAL's HSOT tonight.MaxPreps had Clinton #7 (?) with Southwest Edgecomb the only true eastern team ranked #6 ahead of them. SWE has played no one seriously Clinton did beat Wallace Rose Hill. If the DarkHorses beat Midway Friday which I think them will I couldn't imagine the Horses not being #1 seed unless Reidsville goes east. Geographicallyover the years Reidsville as gone either way. What do you think?
I wouldn't say that SWE hasn't played anyone. Sure the conference portion of the season has been a cakewalk, but I'd say the non conference portion was equal to if not better than that of Clinton. Have 2 wins against 4A schools (not great teams this year), a 7 win (so far) 3A team, and an 8 win 1A conference champion, plus we have 8-2 Beddingfield this week. Only loss is to a #1 ranked team. Clinton did beat WRH, but WRH is what it is this season, a 4 loss team. Overall, Clinton's sos is better than that of SWE. I'm just saying I don't agree that we haven't played anybody. If we win this week, I could see the 1 seed go either way, and wouldn't argue about either. Both have the resume for it IMO.

Ok, after further review, I still think Shelby will be in 2AA.....not a done deal, but right now I'm guessing the cut line will be between Newton-Conover and SW Edgecombe, and if the line moves, both Bandys and Newton-Conover would go small before Shelby (assuming Bandys does make the playoffs).....but there are SOOO many teams that could still go either way in terms of making the playoffs or not, will know more after this week's updated rankings get posted, and of course still won't know until the final rankings come out with the seedings, my biggest problem is not knowing what to do about tiebreakers for final conference standings for 3 way ties in 2nd in Mid State between Bartlett Yancey, Carrboro, and Cummings (one auto bid, others would be wild cards, but not Cummings, ranking too low to be wild card)....3rd in Western Piedmont (would all be wild cards) between Walkertown, Forbush, and North Forsyth, and the mess in the Central Carolina with about 9 different scenarios for who could get 2nd and 3rd, and the others will be wild cards (I think)....also possible that every 2AA team in that league (including Salisbury) could be in East

Remember that North Davidson got a 4th seed last year as the conference runner up. Now, they had a high ranking due to just one loss vs a highly ranked team (and a much tougher schedule).

They got a 4 seed due to all the conference champs in the east being small. It looks like that may be the case again this year.

But again, who knows if they’ll even go east. Fun to think about!!!

Yes, definitely should draw if a 1 or 2 is on the line (or 3 in the CCC)....if it's for the standings spots among potential wild card teams, I suppose they could draw, but from the brushing up that I found time for this morning, it seems that whatever the conference president sends in for final standings will be what they go with...so if they draw at the conference meeting (or ahead of time anticipating a tie like we have in some leagues this year), it does seem plausible that some conference by laws may have decided before the season started to use maxpreps rankings in that situation instead of drawing though, especially if it's only among wild cards and not auto bids, as it makes it more likely for the league to get more teams in.....to draw for any auto bids, and use rankings if there is a tie for 4th, 5th (or 3rd in any league except the CCC).....look at Mid State 2A....league could sneak four teams in the playoffs (which would be a travesty) if Cummings draws 2nd AND Carrboro's ranking stays close to 64....the rest of the bubble teams around the state are hoping for BY to draw 2, and Carrboro to fall well below 64 in rankings....but all four COULD make playoffs if they draw for the auto bid positions, then seed the rest of standings based on rankings....BY's ranking in 30s looks safe but if they drop to 4th in final standings they would miss playoffs due to leap frog unless both Cummings AND Carrboro make playoffs

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Remember that North Davidson got a 4th seed last year as the conference runner up. Now, they had a high ranking due to just one loss vs a highly ranked team (and a much tougher schedule).

They got a 4 seed due to all the conference champs in the east being small. It looks like that may be the case again this year.

But again, who knows if they’ll even go east. Fun to think about!!!
ND could go in as a 2, a 3, or a wild card, but with their won over Salisbury, I feel confident they will be in the playoffs no matter what happens against Ledford...will try to get scenarios updated before Friday about who needs what to happen (in addition to winning their game) to finish where

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT