ADVERTISEMENT

2023 MA Outlook

gdawg74

Nov 4, 2006
As the 2023 fast approaches the pressure for a repeat is real and the success of last year can turn to this years complacency. How have the bears looked in the weight room over the summer, how have the 7 on 7’s looked? Any upcoming 8th graders like Floyd , Martin and Joyce from last year that could see the varsity field? This years team has the makings of one of of not the best teams the granite city has ever seen. I will say with a schedule as soft as a roll of charmin I do worry about injuries and the lack of competition heading into the playoffs. Seems like the west could be good again. After being in the Arizona Deserts for the last 8 months with work, I must say it feels good to be back home in time for another year of football season and smack talk on the boards. But I do wonder what Friday nights and football practice looks like in that 117 degree desert heat. It was 112 at 9:30 pm where I live in Mesa the other night. Keep those guys in your thoughts and prayers as well. Good luck to all and prayers on an injury free season

The weight room has definitely been busy. These young men have pumped up. Going to be interesting to see how that transforms to the field.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Opening with 2A North Surry and then 2A East Surry should/will set the stage for the rest of the year. They absolutely have the talent, they absolutely have the Coaching, imo.

Two questions: Do they stay healthy?
Do they have the mindset to forget last year and not just play every game, but rather play each and every play? No off plays. Assume nothing. Mt Airy is owed nothing but the opportunity.

The other guys, whomever they are, are going to being playing their most important game, their biggest game of the year.

My last question: WHAT TIME IS IT?
BEAR TIME !!!!

Opening with 2A North Surry and then 2A East Surry should/will set the stage for the rest of the year. They absolutely have the talent, they absolutely have the Coaching, imo.

Do they have the mindset to forget last year and not just play every game, but rather play each and every play? No off plays. Assume nothing. Mt Airy is owed nothing but the opportunity.

The other guys, whomever they are, are going to being playing their most important game, their biggest game of the year.

BEAR TIME !!

BEAR TIME !!!!
Week 1 most likely a blowout. I think week 2 will be very interesting. The Cardinals are not down as much as most people believe. East Surry game seems to get into their heads since that 2018 curb stomp in the playoffs. Will this be another -1 in the regular season for the boys from Mayberry? Looking forward to this game as usual. Go Cards.

East Surry has their hands more than full in week 1. Go cards in that one from a bear fan. Week 2 should be fun just as it always is. Heard the QB situation in pilot was pretty bleak. Also heard they got a transfer from MA that should help on the defensive side of the ball. As far as 2018, swain beat the bears the week before. Everyone knows how that game goes if the bears are healthy. Doesn’t really matter as the west was weak as pond water in 18

I'm not sure that Mount airy is not significantly better than last year. They are bigger faster and stronger. The strength and speed gains are tremendous. Mason revels and one. Other running legit 4.4s at college camps. Whew. Nephew says the transfer from Charlotte who started as a freshman at Palisades high is alot like Webster was. And he's a sophomore at 6 1 225. Don t forget the kid that came in as a freshman in the state championship is a sophomore and is 6 3 220. Heard he was so good at NC state camp that they kept his card.
For us we are going to ne pretty good. QB is not bleak. Just no clear cut winner yet. What we do have is size and strength and we are big big big upfront. I think we are gonna mash ppl. I'm excited for that.
Watch MA practice it does not look like a 1 a team. 15 dudes that are huge fast and strong. 2 running backs look like linebackers and can fly. Its a run of talent they have not had in a long time. Maybe since 08.

Great post rough, how does week one look for the Cards. This Robbinsville team could be one we see in the granite city in November. Following this game close. If in town might even ride out to the oaks to check this out in person. Who was the transfer the cards got from MA? 6-2 and 6-4 200 plus on both ends is impressive for the bears. Backfield looks poised and deep. Reid / Mason should get plenty of rest and Martin seeing the field a plenty. Same with the gallimore brothers. If everything comes together this regular season and first few playoff games should give the underclass group plenty of time on the field. What’s the 8th grade class look like coming in , any names there to look for?

I hear the 8th grade class has a lot of really good football players in it. Not many stars like they've had in the past but a bunch of kids that are really good. I don't think they were that good in middle school though. As far as we go. Obviously we've lost a few coaches. And probably one of our best linemen went to West Stokes with his father. I'm not having a great feeling about after this year as far as the stability goes. I hope I'm wrong. We are big and strong. Probably as big and strong as we've ever been. I'm not following it as much since I don't have or rather I have family yet a different school. But since I've been around these parts for a while they are still my team. And I'm hoping we win every game. Haven't heard much about robbinsville other than what I've read on here. They obviously have some great backs and it seems like from the posters on here that they're going to have a really good team. So I hope we can win that game. It's a long way to travel and that always affects things a little bit. In my talking about Mount Airy I'm also going on a 16-year-old's words mostly other than what I've seen at 7:07 and a few practices I've watched. I didn't see that many varsity games last year. Other than the playoffs. As far as we go as I've said I think we can run the ball against anybody because of our size and skill. But we did just lose our offensive line coach so that does concern me..

Reactions: BK13T-$ and gdawg74
If I'm not mistaken it was the Watson kid who transferred. Although I don't know if that's correct now. I have not heard about him being at Mount Airy though. He was left off the playoff roster because of some unsavory words and actions that he used in their last football game. Pretty good looking kid last year on JV though. So he will definitely help us. I don't think we'll have those problems out of him hopefully he's grown up and matured. I know the kids are excited about playing him :) that doesn't make me feel that great. There's a whole lot of muscle on that Mount Airy team. And if they've got your number let's just say I wouldn't want to be out there.

If I'm not mistaken it was the Watson kid who transferred. Although I don't know if that's correct now. I have not heard about him being at Mount Airy though. He was left off the playoff roster because of some unsavory words and actions that he used in their last football game. Pretty good-looking kid last year on JV though. So he will definitely help us. I don't think we'll have those problems out of him hopefully he's grown up and matured. I know the kids are excited about playing him :) that doesn't make me feel that great. There's a whole lot of muscle on that Mount Airy team. And if they've got your number let's just say I wouldn't want to be out there.
You always have a post I love to read ! I think you are from East Surry but have a lot of respect and good words for Mount Airy. Except when ES plays MA I also pull for East Surry. To add to that I have enjoyed our chats in past years. I just hope I can continue my posting on here as in the past. Seems my memory is falling some but it comes from being at home and not being around people to talk to my doctor said yesterday. I am hoping that I get the urge to come alive come football season since it is my passion and love for football and posting and finding facts to post on NCpreps but it gets harder to think straight, Hopefully, I can get it back during football season. I have added Grammarly spell check to help in spelling since I get too excited at times and type too fast nowadays. My last words are go BEARS ! ! ! LOL, Grammarly corrected 12 words..... Just call me too gone TD and put me in the old folks home.. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan
I'm not sure about Rville D-line but our backers could be best in 1a. If not, top three anyway.

I think this will be only time second time Robbinsville has played East Surry.

The other time was in 99 I think.
2nd or 3rd rd playoff at RVille.
It was close at half but Robbinsville pulled away after the break. Score was R-35/40 East 13/14

You always have a post I love to read ! I think you are from East Surry but have a lot of respect and good words for Mount Airy. Except when ES plays MA I also pull for East Surry. To add to that I have enjoyed our chats in past years. I just hope I can continue my posting on here as in the past. Seems my memory is falling some but it comes from being at home and not being around people to talk to my doctor said yesterday. I am hoping that I get the urge to come alive come football season since it is my passion and love for football and posting and finding facts to post on NCpreps but it gets harder to think straight, Hopefully, I can get it back during football season. I have added Grammarly spell check to help in spelling since I get too excited at times and type too fast nowadays. My last words are go BEARS ! ! ! LOL, Grammarly corrected 12 words..... Just call me too gone TD and put me in the old folks home.. LOL
Dang TD, you should try to go to a game this year. It will help you a lot. Last year when I spent a month in the hospital, even though I could barely walk, I sure enjoyed going to a late season West Forsyth game. Did more for me than anyone in that hospital did.

I'm hope we have another season to remember here in Mayberry I think healthy these guys get it done but man that last game against those Vikings will be tough

Dang TD, you should try to go to a game this year. It will help you a lot. Last year when I spent a month in the hospital, even though I could barely walk, I sure enjoyed going to a late season West Forsyth game. Did more for me than anyone in that hospital did.
I went to a game about 4 years ago and made it until halftime:( and had to leave. I have a bad back and knees along with other health issues which I have posted before. Oh, how I would love to go to the games again like I did when I was the photographer for the paper. I loved being down there with the action. But those days are long gone. Go Bears 🏈

Reactions: sbbbfan and gdawg74
Almost all are back.
Fifth rd will be in MA. They don't play a
Rabum Gap.
They will be 10-0 easy.

MA has the exact same schedule last with only really one good game and that would be East Surry. If they beat East Surry then they will be 10-0 Easley not a strong schedule last year the teams they played there combined record was 44-55 and only 3 teams with a winning record. Which was East Surry with a 12-1 record made it to the third round of 2A before getting put out by Monroe. East Wilkes with a record of 9-3 put out of the second round by murphy. Starmount with a record of 7-4 put out of first round by Cherokee. So will weak schedule hurt them. last year it did not. Do you think it would be the same this year or do yall worry about the weak schedule when it comes November?

It is my understanding that Mt Airy lost 4 starters and 8 total players plus one jv/varsity player that transferred.

All skill position players are back and departed starters will be replaced with equal or better (imo) players.

Each game on the schedule will be the game of the year for the other team and they will play the game as such. This will be no different than Tarboro and Eastern Randolph experience every year.

In one sense if Mt Airy plays each game as last year, most of the starters (especially the skill players) did not play hardly at all in the second half. The benefit of this was seen in the Championship game last year when Defensive End went down with a broken bone on the first or second possession of the game, look at the performance of the freshman that replaced him. Some of us thought he should have been the Defensive Player of the Game.

I will be, and most likely am, the last person to say that Mt Airy will run the table and win the State Championship again. What I have said several times on this medium is that our season will be determined by what is going on between the ears of the Mt Airy players.

If they have their heads on straight, play each play as if the game depends on it, then Mt Airy will do just fine.

Not looking past this year by any means. But this year will be used to develop Nextel years squad as much as it is to showcase what some are saying could be the best team to ever come out of MA. Week 2 will tell us a lot but that starmount game could be intriguing as well. 100 percent agree with Whitley on the kids mindset. We know what the seniors are capable of, but the fun part of the year for me is gonna be watching last year’s freshman and and any other younger talent play a lot of snaps.

Reactions: KW23
As the 2023 fast approaches the pressure for a repeat is real and the success of last year can turn to this years complacency. How have the bears looked in the weight room over the summer, how have the 7 on 7’s looked? Any upcoming 8th graders like Floyd , Martin and Joyce from last year that could see the varsity field? This years team has the makings of one of of not the best teams the granite city has ever seen. I will say with a schedule as soft as a roll of charmin I do worry about injuries and the lack of competition heading into the playoffs. Seems like the west could be good again. After being in the Arizona Deserts for the last 8 months with work, I must say it feels good to be back home in time for another year of football season and smack talk on the boards. But I do wonder what Friday nights and football practice looks like in that 117 degree desert heat. It was 112 at 9:30 pm where I live in Mesa the other night. Keep those guys in your thoughts and prayers as well. Good luck to all and prayers on an injury free season
The team to beat in 1A. Hard to convince me otherwise.

My first post on here so hey everyone. Ready to watch this Bears team in 2023!

While it is warm, I am going to try my best to make it to a game. I wish the East Surry vs Mount Airy game was a home game. I made the mistake of taking early retirement at 62, 10 years ago, and that SS check doesn't go far. That is why I stay home and never go out. But I will see my BEARS at least once while it is warm.

Yes, it is my belief that Mt Airy should have an undefeated regular season. But before we order the trophy and blame it on our over powering talent in a weak conference, perhaps we should really look at the other conference teams.
If I am correct there are 3 new head coaches on the Bears schedule. East Wilkes, Starmount and South Stokes. With absolutely no disrespect to the former head coaches, new coaches tend to bring a new excitement to a school, a fresh look at the players and the student body, and new plans for the team and season.

At least one of these new coaches brings a really, really impressive body of work with him. Nothing would be better for the conference and, in my opinion, to Mt Airy than a little higher level of competition to their schedule.

I believe that an improved, tougher schedule would only make Mt Airy's Lockdown Defense more impressive. And when the D2 and D1 recruiters come to see Mt Airy, the outstanding performances of our players would elevate them on the "to get" list of the various college programs.

2023 Mount Airy Schedule
Aug.18 - North Surry
Aug.25 -@ East Surry
Sept. 1 -@ Surry Central

Sept. 8 -Ashe County---I hope to make this game ! Standing somewhere. I can't take setting on those bleachers.

Conference Games
Sept. 15 -@ North Stokes
Sept. 22 -Starmount
Sept. 29 -@ East Wilkes
Oct. 6 - South Stokes
Oct. 13 - Bye
Oct. 20 - Elkin -- Senior Night
Oct. 27 -@ Alleghany

Last edited:
TD who is Ashe Central??
I have had that on the schedules for 2023 since March the 15th and you are the first to catch the mistake. Sharp eyes. I do make them, but it is fixed now. lol

Reactions: kingbluedevil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT