2018 ALL SMC

Gentle Knight

Jul 23, 2018
Coach of the Year: David Gentry

Back of the Year: Micah Nelson

Lineman of the Year: Hunter Shope

All-Conference
Andrews: Landon White, Zack Sheppard

Cherokee: Joaquin Layno, Cade Mintz, Masid Catolster, Blake Smith, Damian Blanton

Hayesville: Adam Leek

Murphy: Hunter Shope, Brady Satterlind, KJ Allen, Slade McTaggart, Dallas Rayburn, Ray Rathburn, Chase Roberts, Micah Nelson

Robbinsville: Candler Edwards, Rylee Anderson, Landon Orr, Austin Lovin, Clayson Lane, Jase Phillips, Erik Barnett

Rosman: Hooper Thomas, Kayne Smith, Christian Carnathan, Brennan Chapman, Marcus Stamey

Swain: Chase Hughes, Jake Langston, Bryce Sain, Noland Brown, Ian Brooks

Honorable Mention
Andrews: Tucker Holloway, Hunter Rickett, Brawley Stillwell

Cherokee: Sterling Santa Maria, Rocky Peoples, Isaiah Armachain, Seth Smith

Hayesville: Dwain Cook

Murphy: Reid Beal, Justice Dorsey, Peyton McCracken, Yousef Mugharbil, Devonte Murray, Robert Bodine, Annie-Kate Dalton

Robbinsville: Grady Garland, Aaron Phillips, Issac Wilkinson, AJ Ornelas, Lex Hooper

Rosman: Luke Stewart

Swain: Nick Millsaps, Damion Lossiah, Daniel Ammons, Charlie Lambert, Hunter Burrell

Micah Nelson has been named 2018 SMC back of the year. Excellent excellent player but I'm a little confused with the back of the year honor.
Nelson finished 4th in the conference in passing.
Nelson finished 24th in the league rushing.
Nelson finished 13th in the league in TDs.
Nelson finished 18th in the league in scoring.
For comparison Anderson finished with:
1st in the league rushing
1st in the league in TDs
1st in the league in total points scored
Anderson also eclipsed the 4000 yd mark as a junior

It is because a kid that lives in Hiwassee dam had a cousin that went to Murphy and they dated a girl that went to the EC! Also Gentry sold his soul to Orville Redenbacher for a life time supply of popcorn and the promise of playing 1A!!!
That explains it

I’ll agree . He wasn’t anything near the back of the year . I’d go rville rb. I watched state game and our game and he really didn’t do much .

SMC back of the year is almost always the player most responsible for winning the biggest conference game(s) of the year. Micah Nelson is hands down the player who did that.
Not true.. Robbinsville lost 3 big conference games last year(2017) and Anderson was Back of the Year

Reactions: BK13T-$
It goes to the player who was most responsible for winning. Micah Nelson was that. Coaches nominate their own players, and then the other coaches vote on them. Coaches also see what fans and statisticians do not.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
And what about no Evans . How in the world not even hm

Did he not miss several conference games? Do you know if he was nominated? Coaches can not vote for you if your not nominated. A nomination is 99.99999% of the time an HM.

It goes to the player who was most responsible for winning. Micah Nelson was that. Coaches nominate their own players, and then the other coaches vote on them. Coaches also see what fans and statisticians do not.
I get what you're saying but as an example,use his own team. Was he more responsible for Murphy wins ? Or was KJ or Slade more responsible?

It's hard to argue with Murphy getting the bulk of the recognition, but dany, Nelson as Back of the Year? No way. I'd give it to Allen or McTaggert before him, on his own team. Anderson's numbers were really good and he would be worthy, but his two games against Murphy didn't help his chances. Sain at Swain was also good, but his numbers against us and Murphy probably killed his chances.

Why cant people just be happy for a young man that had a great year. This board does nothing but bash kids that play for Murphy. His leadership on the field was a huge part on why murphy made it out of the 3rd round especially. Great job #2 congratulations!

To my knowledge its voted on by the coaches but the best stats don't always win.I remember in 1993 brett chappell led the conference in yards and tds and at time was wnc all time rushing leader but back of year went to Travis McCracken.it would be hard for me to go against Anderson from,robbinsville but award always goes to a player from conference champion

I bet if Anderson wins next year not one Murphy supporter will bash him. Nelson was a wr that moved to qb for his senior season to do what was best for the "team". Then lead that team to a 13-1 record, undeafeated conference title, western conference title and then a state title. 13-1 as a starter at Murphy and imo the best overall athlete on the field. If that's not deserving of the award I dont know what would be. It's not a rushing title award.

Reactions: Gps62 and mhs95
Congrats to all SMC honorees! Proud to see a lot the boys get some recognition especially the R’ville bunch. But of course anytime we look at these awards/recognition we always have to look at those who maybe have been snubbed. As far as Back of the Year, I’ll concur that it goes to those who have the most impact. Without Mintz last year Cherokee isn’t the same and with Murphy Nelson mobility was hard to handle. Not great QB numbers but I still see plays that he extended that made me scream unpleasantness in the stands. Add that into the fact that Murphy won its hard to argue. As far the snubs I do find it hard to believe Evans or Crowe from Cherokee didn’t at least get Honorable Mention. Evans has has durability issues but was impactful and Crowe put up the numbers. But giving I usually speak up for the Natives down in R’ville gotta do the same for those on the Boundary.

Why cant people just be happy for a young man that had a great year. This board does nothing but bash kids that play for Murphy. His leadership on the field was a huge part on why murphy made it out of the 3rd round especially. Great job #2 congratulations!
You're taking it totally wrong. The person that got screwed was McTaggert. He was by far the most valuable back on the Murphy team. Without him, there would be no state championship. The Dogs' season would have ended in Ledger and Mitchell or the Knights would be your champions.

Reactions: GC SMC
You're taking it totally wrong. The person that got screwed was McTaggert. He was by far the most valuable back on the Murphy team. Without him, there would be no state championship. The Dogs' season would have ended in Ledger and Mitchell or the Knights would be your champions.
Agreed. McTaggart was the difference maker

Isaiah Evans missed multiple games and that's why he's not in tha picture, not really sure how he went to shrine bowl but anyway!!! Nelson had pretty good game down state I thought!! 1st play he recovered a fumble for touchdown, interception and looked good on offense!! His line bullied tha hurricanes and he got to make some good passes!!

i am not so sure you beat Mitchell.

No one is bashing the murphy qb.I stated that award almost always goes to a player from conference champion and in my opinion a qb would have to put up big numbers in passing yards or excellent numbers in both rushing and passing.handing ball off shouldn't count for much.rville didn't have luxury of having 4 or 5 backs to carry ball and Anderson put a big load on his shoulders and pretty much carried r'ville and imo he's the best player in smc.if r'ville had beaten murphy this wouldn't even be a debate.

#2 threw for 1,100 yards and zero picks, once he got those first few games under his belt had he been needed to throw the ball more he could have, it just wasn't necessary at that point with how dominate Murphy's run game was. Not to mention #2 was the best defensive "back" in the conference by a large margin, might be on defense but it's still technically a back.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Why does Murphy not update their tackling stats weekly on Maxpreps like every other team? It seems they waited till after the last game of the year to enter their tackling stats. Of course now , they have a player leading in tackles. Anderson led the conference in rushing and was leading in tackles before the Murphy update. Quite the accomplishment to rush for 2000 yds and turn around on defense and make 125 tackles.#STUD

Could Murphy still win without #2.sure they could they have 4 or 5 rbs to carry load but i don't see r'ville being as successful without Anderson so that's my argument.not many if any small 1a schools have 5 rbs in the stable.imagine that

Why does Murphy not update their tackling stats weekly on Maxpreps like every other team? It seems they waited till after the last game of the year to enter their tackling stats. Of course now , they have a player leading in tackles. Anderson led the conference in rushing and was leading in tackles before the Murphy update. Quite the accomplishment to rush for 2000 yds and turn around on defense and make 125 tackles.#STUD
Yea we waited to see how many we needed, jeez give me a break ,are you Rylies daddy ,he is a great football player ,everyone in the conference knows it ,let it go.

No one is bashing the murphy qb.I stated that award almost always goes to a player from conference champion and in my opinion a qb would have to put up big numbers in passing yards or excellent numbers in both rushing and passing.handing ball off shouldn't count for much.rville didn't have luxury of having 4 or 5 backs to carry ball and Anderson put a big load on his shoulders and pretty much carried r'ville and imo he's the best player in smc.if r'ville had beaten murphy this wouldn't even be a debate.
You answered your own question and I agree. If rville had beaten Murphy and went on to win state then I'm sure anderson wins the award. But they did not beat Murphy and I believe anderson had 38 yards in the biggest game of the year. The other kid led his team to conference, western and STATE title. Anderson would have deserved it if that had happened but it did not happen.

You answered your own question and I agree. If rville had beaten Murphy and went on to win state then I'm sure anderson wins the award. But they did not beat Murphy and I believe anderson had 38 yards in the biggest game of the year. The other kid led his team to conference, western and STATE title. Anderson would have deserved it if that had happened but it did not happen.
Voted on before playoffs ever started. Just to clear the air. Congratulations to all selections. But playoffs have nothing to do with these accolades.

Yea we waited to see how many we needed, jeez give me a break ,are you Rylies daddy ,he is a great football player ,everyone in the conference knows it ,let it go.
Nope not his dad,but trust me you don't even want to go there. Jeez give me a break..Are you Michas dad?.lol

#2 threw for 1,100 yards and zero picks, once he got those first few games under his belt had he been needed to throw the ball more he could have, it just wasn't necessary at that point with how dominate Murphy's run game was. Not to mention #2 was the best defensive "back" in the conference by a large margin, might be on defense but it's still technically a back.
Not sure about the wide margin mbdfan,but he was one of the tops for sure.
Jase Phillips 99 tackles
Micah Nelson 34 tackles

Not sure about the wide margin mbdfan,but he was one of the tops for sure.
Jase Phillips 99 tackles
Micah Nelson 34 tackles

tackles as a stat are very unreliable... some schools only count solos, some tally solos and assists together, some count solos as "1" and assists as a "half" and add them up that way, etc... but the coaches pour over every game film looking for weak links and advantages... they know who is a player or not and if they are doing their job or not.

Voted on before playoffs ever started. Just to clear the air. Congratulations to all selections. But playoffs have nothing to do with these accolades.
I dont know if that's accurate or not doesn't really matter to me, but if that's the case it just shows that the people who voted knew what they were doing.

I have never seen so much whining and complaining in my life. Between this site, facebook, and instagram its getting to the point of absolute ridiculousness. These kids and coaches win a state championship and still somehow people want to make it about their team and how they got shafted. Im over it. No offense but most of it on all these sites is coming from rville people. Some of yall are great, but geez some of yall need to get a grip.

Speaking of snubs, in my opinion Isaiah Armachain from Cherokee should have been all conf and AJ Orneales from Robbinsville- both were huge defensive players. I’ve always wondered how these selections were made. But congratulations to all the kids named

Reactions: Gentle Knight
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT