ADVERTISEMENT

1st Rd Travel Distance

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Just curious to know which teams have to travel the most and least for their first round matchup. I see that Trask has to go to Cummings. 2 1/2 hours, 170 miles. Any further opponents? Include all divisions.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Nope Maiden is in a Lincoln Catawba County conference and East Gaston is in Gaston Cleveland County conference.
Ok. One thing I can't stand is first round conference rematches. And they almost always seem to be games that were just played the last week of the regular season.

Here are the longest travel distances for 1st Round games:
Andrews to Thomasville: 250 miles
Christ The King to Hayesville: 230 miles
Madison Co. to Reidsville: 213 miles
East Columbus to Perquimans Co.: 206 miles
Trinity to Brevard: 198 miles
Person Co. to North Brunswick: 192 miles
South Johnston to Currituck Co.: 189 miles
Cherokee to Starmount: 179 miles
St. Pauls to Hertford Co.: 177 miles
Heide Trask to H.M. Cummings: 169 miles
Chapel Hill to J.T. Hoggard: 163 miles
J.A. Holmes to Midway: 162 miles
Camden Co. to Princeton: 161 miles
South Granville to Whiteville: 158 miles

Shortest:
Charlotte Catholic to Myers Park: 7 miles
Heritage to Millbrook: 10 miles
Providence to Weddington: 10 miles
Cuthbertson to Porter Ridge: 16 miles
A.L. Brown to Mooresville: 16 miles
Anson Co. to Forest Hills: 19 miles
Mount Tabor to Davie Co.: 20 miles
West Rowan to Northwest Cabarrus: 20 miles
Southeast Raleigh to Apex Friendship: 21 miles
Orange Co. to Southern Alamance: 23 miles
Wake Forest to Garner: 24 miles
East Gaston to Maiden: 24 miles
C.A. Erwin to West Henderson: 25 miles
W.H. Page to East Forsyth: 27 miles
East Davidson to Salisbury: 30 miles

Last edited:
is that a NCHSAA playoff game?? don't think so.......................but you're right....helluva haul.....
Rabun Gap is right outside Franklin/ Otto, NC but I still don’t get why they don’t align with Georgia conferences. I wouldn’t imagine travel would be that drastically different. They were so-so for many years but have had a change in philosophy football-wise in the last decade kind of like Christ School in Arden.

Dune
Here are the longest travel distances for 1st Round games:
Andrews to Thomasville: 250 miles
Christ The King to Hayesville: 230 miles
Madison Co. to Reidsville: 213 miles
East Columbus to Perquimans Co.: 206 miles
Trinity to Brevard: 198 miles
Person Co. to North Brunswick: 192 miles
South Johnston to Currituck Co.: 189 miles
Cherokee to Starmount: 179 miles
St. Pauls to Hertford Co.: 177 miles
Heide Trask to H.M. Cummings: 169 miles
Chapel Hill to J.T. Hoggard: 163 miles
J.A. Holmes to Midway: 162 miles
Camden Co. to Princeton: 161 miles
South Granville to Whiteville: 158 miles

Shortest:
Charlotte Catholic to Myers Park: 7 miles
Heritage to Millbrook: 10 miles
Providence to Weddington: 10 miles
Cuthbertson to Porter Ridge: 16 miles
A.L. Brown to Mooresville: 16 miles
Anson Co. to Forest Hills: 19 miles
Mount Tabor to Davie Co.: 20 miles
West Rowan to Northwest Cabarrus: 20 miles
Southeast Raleigh to Apex Friendship: 21 miles
Orange Co. to Southern Alamance: 23 miles
Wake Forest to Garner: 24 miles
C.A. Erwin to West Henderson: 25 miles
W.H. Page to East Forsyth: 27 miles
East Davidson to Salisbury: 30 miles
Southern Durham to Eastern Alamance: 32 miles
Strong work. Thanks.

Rabun Gap is right outside Franklin/ Otto, NC but I still don’t get why they don’t align with Georgia conferences. I wouldn’t imagine travel would be that drastically different. They were so-so for many years but have had a change in philosophy football-wise in the last decade kind of like Christ School in Arden.
Apparently, they are pretty good. They were ranked the number 1 team in NC for much of the season smh. Imagine a team located in Georgia being named a NC State Champion....

Robbinsville played RG 10 times going 9-1.

Last decade they was ok some years.
The last 4 years they have transformed in a Monster.

The Rabun County tigers are a really good program also. I'd like to play them again.
We're so isolated we can't play many teams without long drives. Even though we are on the Tenn border it's to long a drive on bad roads to play below average teams.

Last edited:
The Rabun County tigers are a really good program also. I'd like to play them again.
We're so isolated we can play many teams without long drives. Even though we are on the Tenn border it's to long a drive on bad roads to play below average teams.
Yes, I’d imagine Robbinsville is the most isolated high school in the state, as far as getting into and out of, to the next nearest competition.

Anyway you go, it’s a long winding road. Haha!

Yes, I’d imagine Robbinsville is the most isolated high school in the state, as far as getting into and out of, to the next nearest competition.

Anyway you go, it’s a long winding road. Haha!
Well…. Maybe Chopper’s reply that came in above mine while typing leaves me standing corrected. 🤣.

I do guarantee the roads are straighter in the east. I know I got that part right.

I notice you teams out east can be 1000 miles apart and be in the same conference. Alot of space between schools out there.
yes, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke are going to be a 2-4 hour drive to anywhere other than Manteo & First Flight, and actually even those two are well over an hour away, especially for Ocracoke, who probably doesn't even play them.....Ocracoke & Mattamuskeet are in the same county but 2-3 hours apart with a ferry ride

I notice you teams out east can be 1000 miles apart and be in the same conference. Alot of space between schools out there.
Oh yeah. The further east you go, the more fields, and as targeelg said, even water you have to traverse. In the east central and west central part of the state, that's where most of the metro areas are, so obviously there's the need for more schools. And the further into the mountain area you go, the smaller the land area gets, so naturally, things will be closer than down east, with all this space. I always think of this side as the junk in the trunk part of the state lol.

Oh yeah. The further east you go, the more fields, and as targeelg said, even water you have to traverse. In the east central and west central part of the state, that's where most of the metro areas are, so obviously there's the need for more schools. And the further into the mountain area you go, the smaller the land area gets, so naturally, things will be closer than down east, with all this space. I always think of this side as the junk in the trunk part of the state lol.
Yeah but I. The west 50 miles is over 2 hrs over bus

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
yes, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke are going to be a 2-4 hour drive to anywhere other than Manteo & First Flight, and actually even those two are well over an hour away, especially for Ocracoke, who probably doesn't even play them.....Ocracoke & Mattamuskeet are in the same county but 2-3 hours apart with a ferry ride
From 1997-2001, Cape Hatteras was in a conference with:
Camden Co., Gates Co., Chocowinity & Aurora (before those two consolidated into Southside in 99-00 year), Jamesville, Mattamuskeet, Creswell, Columbia, Bear Grass.....when you're located where they are, they're used to having to take off work early every time there's a road game, here was their mileage, not for playoffs but for conference games:
Camden: 105 miles
Gates: 150 miles
Chocowinity: 156 miles
Aurora: 179 miles
Southside: 160 miles
Jamesville: 139 miles
Mattamuskeet: 113 miles
Creswell: 96 miles
Columbia: 88 miles
Bear Grass: 144 miles

Now that Ocracoke has joined a conference and plays many sports (not football, but many others), they have to ride a ferry anywhere they go; shorter one-hour ferry ride to Hatteras Island and repeat those mileages above to places north and west.....2:40 ferry ride to mainland to points west......(such as 3 hours to cover 40 miles drive to Mattamuskeet) or 2:15 ferry ride if going south and west (for example, East Carteret would take 3:20 even though the bus is only rolling for 53 miles)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT