ADVERTISEMENT

13-2 Weddington vs 14-1 Hoggard 4A State Championship game

The Dutch Fork win is a huge win, but that's also when DF was down in the early stages of the season, so nothing to talk about. Heck, on the other hand at least they beat them because no one else from NC has.
Hough says hello!

On another note. I believe being in a dogfight teaches players how to react when facing adversity. Don't know much about Hoggard but if they haven't played tough, contested game all year. Who to say they won't fold when Weddington hits them in the mouth? Weddington has played Dutch Fork, Butler, Catholic, Indy (twice), Chambers and Grimsley. They are battled ready can the same be said about Hoggard?

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
The Dutch Fork win is a huge win, but that's also when DF was down in the early stages of the season, so nothing to talk about. Heck, on the other hand at least they beat them because no one else from NC has. Hoggard on the other hand has been blowing the bulbs out of all the scoreboards they've encountered. If the Weddington allows Hoggard to blow more bulbs, their will be a feu de joie.
Weddington been doing pretty good in the bulb Blowing dept as well. I’d be worried about reidsville lol

As far as I know, there are only 2 Wilmington posters on this site, me and Port City. Middle Sound Heel may also qualify but he either moved here from Fayetteville or vice versa - I can’t remember. I do not recognize PlayTom, he may be a plant from elsewhere to get something started in this thread.

Not a lot to compare here except maybe for last years NHHS’s win over Butler in Charlotte. Last years NHHS team was not one of our best, and I hate to admit it but this Hoggard team is substantially better than last year’s NHHS squad. I am not going to toot the Hoggard horn too much as I am becoming nauseous from what I have already typed. I am going to have to let Port City take over from here. I disagree with Port on some things and he will take an expected jab or make a backhanded compliment towards my Cats on occasion, but he shoots fairly straight.
Thank you, I think.

Hough says hello!

On another note. I believe being in a dogfight teaches players how to react when facing adversity. Don't know much about Hoggard but if they haven't played tough, contested game all year. Who to say they won't fold when Weddington hits them in the mouth? Weddington has played Dutch Fork, Butler, Catholic, Indy (twice), Chambers and Grimsley. They are battled ready can the same be said about Hoggard?
Those are valid points. Hoggard was in a dogfight with Laney. Hoggards QB was hurt and Laney knew it and stacked the box. The score was 15-10 in the forth qrt and Hoggard defense stepped up and put a lot of pressure on Laney and they turned it over. Hoggard took advantage and scored 28 points in the 4th. The Cleveland game was a dogfight as the score was tied at 28 heading into the forth. The defense again caused problems and turnovers and the offense converted and the Vikes scored 23 points in the 4th qrt. Hoggard has had some hurddles to overcome during the playoffs. The QB didn’t play the 1st round and was less than 60% during the next 2 games. He felt better against Cleveland and threw for 385 and 6 TD. The entire defense was sick the week heading into the Cleveland game. Most players played that game at way less than 100% and it showed but they stepped up when they needed to.
Hoggard has not played the schedule that Weddington has played and there is no argument there. This Hoggard team has 39 seniors and the bitter taste of last year is still in their mouths. They had the same kind of team last season but their QB went down week 6 and did not return. Hoggard had no depth at QB last season and saw their season end in the 3rd round to NB 21-0. That team would have gone unbeaten in the reg season and would have faced NB much later and would have had an offense that could score. This team wants it and they are ready for any kind of fight.

As far as I know, there are only 2 Wilmington posters on this site, me and Port City. Middle Sound Heel may also qualify but he either moved here from Fayetteville or vice versa - I can’t remember. I do not recognize PlayTom, he may be a plant from elsewhere to get something started in this thread.

Not a lot to compare here except maybe for last years NHHS’s win over Butler in Charlotte. Last years NHHS team was not one of our best, and I hate to admit it but this Hoggard team is substantially better than last year’s NHHS squad. I am not going to toot the Hoggard horn too much as I am becoming nauseous from what I have already typed. I am going to have to let Port City take over from here. I disagree with Port on some things and he will take an expected jab or make a backhanded compliment towards my Cats on occasion, but he shoots fairly straight.
I’m a Hoggard alum..a reader and occasional poster. I left Wilmington many years ago and left NC completely for greener pastures in TX back in late 2003. Still had family and property in Wilm until around 2016 and was in town often until that point. It saddens me to say I haven’t stepped foot back in the wonderful state of NC since that time but I will be at Carter-Finley Sat night. Go Vikes!!!

For the record, I am not aware of one single backhanded comment I have ever made about the NH Kitty Cats!.

Reactions: CatScratchFever23
If Marvin ridge can beat weddington.... Hoggard definitely has a shot
One of the biggest surprises I have seen in a long time. Made me wonder about Weddington and here they are.

One of the biggest surprises I have seen in a long time. Made me wonder about Weddington and here they are.
Marvin Ridge is probably the biggest reason they are here. High School kids start believing what they read and take their biggest rival lightly, what happens. Now their only choice is to win it all they are going hear so much crap until next year from Marvin !

Reactions: beamer24
Those are valid points. Hoggard was in a dogfight with Laney. Hoggards QB was hurt and Laney knew it and stacked the box. The score was 15-10 in the forth qrt and Hoggard defense stepped up and put a lot of pressure on Laney and they turned it over. Hoggard took advantage and scored 28 points in the 4th. The Cleveland game was a dogfight as the score was tied at 28 heading into the forth. The defense again caused problems and turnovers and the offense converted and the Vikes scored 23 points in the 4th qrt. Hoggard has had some hurddles to overcome during the playoffs. The QB didn’t play the 1st round and was less than 60% during the next 2 games. He felt better against Cleveland and threw for 385 and 6 TD. The entire defense was sick the week heading into the Cleveland game. Most players played that game at way less than 100% and it showed but they stepped up when they needed to.
Hoggard has not played the schedule that Weddington has played and there is no argument there. This Hoggard team has 39 seniors and the bitter taste of last year is still in their mouths. They had the same kind of team last season but their QB went down week 6 and did not return. Hoggard had no depth at QB last season and saw their season end in the 3rd round to NB 21-0. That team would have gone unbeaten in the reg season and would have faced NB much later and would have had an offense that could score. This team wants it and they are ready for any kind of fight.
At this point of the season , I don’t think anybody is 100%

Reactions: beamer24
Marvin Ridge is probably the biggest reason they are here. High School kids start believing what they read and take their biggest rival lightly, what happens. Now their only choice is to win it all they are going hear so much crap until next year from Marvin !
Games like that are often what flips the switch. 1995 Kannapolis beating West Charlotte.

Reactions: onioncfb
At this point of the season , I don’t think anybody is 100%
I agree, that was not my point. Hoggard has had to win without their offensive leader in 3 playoff games and they had to avenge their only loss of the season with their whole defense under the weather. It is a different type of battle tested.

I also think, in the long run Hoggard losing their season opener to Cleveland was a good thing.

Weddington been doing pretty good in the bulb Blowing dept as well. I’d be worried about reidsville lol
Someone said Weddington has two of the biggest high school players the world has ever seen. This an 11 men competition.

Hough says hello!

You can smash someones mouth 10 times during the season. The Championship round only requires one.

Someone said Weddington has two of the biggest high school players the world has ever seen. This an 11 men competition.
no not the biggest just big kids. Thomas Davis son plays there as well. He’s a great linebacker. They have a great qb some really really good wrs like I said I don’t have a dog in the fight but being from union county I’ll cheer for weddington.

no not the biggest just big kids. Thomas Davis son plays there as well. He’s a great linebacker. They have a great qb some really really good wrs like I said I don’t have a dog in the fight but being from union county I’ll cheer for weddington.
ok

No disrespect to Weddington's size or ability but I lived around Houston for a while and their kids are about half the size of the kids in that area of Texas and would get smoked by North Shore High School. The state actually cares about funding athletics

I agree, that was not my point. Hoggard has had to win without their offensive leader in 3 playoff games and they had to avenge their only loss of the season with their whole defense under the weather. It is a different type of battle tested.
@portcity FB
I've come to respect your posts and knowledge of Wilmington area ball over the years. Seems like this is going to be a great match up and highly contested ball game. Page is mostly a West Region team, but we've seen us represent the East a few times over the years. So its hard for me to pick a side! I wish Hoggard luck in the big one!

@portcity FB
I've come to respect your posts and knowledge of Wilmington area ball over the years. Seems like this is going to be a great match up and highly contested ball game. Page is mostly a West Region team, but we've seen us represent the East a few times over the years. So its hard for me to pick a side! I wish Hoggard luck in the big one!
Thanks 44, I feel the same way. A lot of really knowledgable people on these boards. It very hard to get here. Have to be very good and be fortunate. I am enjoying the ride this week. I have watched some film on Weddington and they are very good on both sides of the ball. Hoggard will have to play their best game of the year to pull off the upset.

Reactions: PagePirates44
I dont trust Simmon, Dillon or Reggie. While these final score fantasy systems are more right than wrong, they can create disturbance to the eye, the mind, and worry to the brain.

Reactions: New3ra
I dont trust Simmon, Dillon or Reggie. While these final score fantasy systems are more right than wrong, they can create disturbance to the eye, the mind, and worry to the brain.
Right! I always take it with a grain of salt and use my judgement on the eye test and how each position group will match up, styles of play, coaching, etc.

Reactions: PlayTom
No disrespect to Weddington's size or ability but I lived around Houston for a while and their kids are about half the size of the kids in that area of Texas and would get smoked by North Shore High School. The state actually cares about funding athletics
When you're talking about Texas, you're talking about an entirely animal.

This is the most intriguing game to me by far, I can somewhat presume the other 3 winners but this one is a true toss up. Hoggard has 0 film on youtube as well, very wise

I got Weddington by at least 14. Weddington has seen Dutch Fork, Butler, Grimsley, Chambers and Independence. From an athletic, talent and speed perspective Hoggard won’t present them with anything they haven’t experienced throughout the coarse of the year. Weddington to me is the only team that can do everything well on offense which makes them difficult to stop. Weddington’s defense has been playing really well the whole year. If Weddington plays a clean game I think they will be fine. If i am wrong i will take some crow

Port City has been awfully quiet. I know he has something to say. My guess is he has typed several responses but failed to hit “post reply”. I would say he is confident Hoggard can play with Weddington. They have a very solid defense, are balanced on the offensive side and the QB completes 70% of his passes.

Edited: I don’t know Port City and it was probably in bad taste to speak for him. Really my thoughts.

Last edited:
Port City has been awfully quiet. I know he has something to say. My guess is he has typed several responses but failed to hit “post reply”. I would say he is confident Hoggard can play with Weddington. They have a very solid defense, are balanced on the offensive side and the QB completes 70% of his passes.

Edited: I don’t know Port City and it was probably in bad taste to speak for him. Really my thoughts.
No worries. Weddington is the best team Hoggard will have played this year And Weddington will be favored in this game. I do feel Hoggard can win if they can slow down Weddington run game and if the Vikes can keep the twins out of the backfield. There has been 2-3 teams that have been able to keep Weddington run game in check and I think Hoggards defense is as goods as those teams defense. I think Weddington will come out and try to run the ball. Hoggard has been able to turn teams over and throwing a lot is playing into their hands and I know that Weddington knows that. Wilharm has not run much this year because of lack of depth at the QB position but I think he will be a big part of the offense. His arm talent is there as is his smarts. This game is not too big for this Hoggard team, they are ready to prove themselves.

This is the most intriguing game to me by far, I can somewhat presume the other 3 winners but this one is a true toss up. Hoggard has 0 film on youtube as well, very wise
They have a YouTube channel that broadcasts their games. It’s insufferable but a least they have one.

Presume the other 3 winners really ??
Although I have watched Weddington play their last two playoff games I am taking Hoggard in this matchup in a small upset .I don’t think there is a lock in any game.
We won’t hold that against ya. Playtom needs a friend

Of course it’s the most intriguing to you by far, you’re a fan of Weddington LOL

Won't be surprised if this is a low scoring game or goes overtime. Though I won't be surprised if Weddington wins, I think Hoe-gard(as pronounced bybine of the YouTube analysts) is the favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT