ADVERTISEMENT

YVC to split next year

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
With the addition of 2 new charter schools to the mix next year, the YVC is branching off into 2 totally separate conferences this fall. Not sure what the other conference will be yet, but i know for sure this is how one conference will look next year.

Tar Heel Conference

South Davidson
East Montgomery
West Montgomery
North Moore
Chatham Central
Chatham Charter

Rumor is Albermarle is looking to close its doors? Is any of this true?

Who wins each conference next season?

I think the East will be a toss up between Albemarle and Queen's Grant. Albemarle lost a great
deal, but as long as Coach Andrews is at the helm they will always be the team to beat. That
being said, North Stanly returns a very solid group and great coaching as well.

As for the West? I think North Moore is the favorite. We lost one starter (Spivey) and return
a lot. We did lose our Coach, but the guys returning are products of Coach Smith, so they should
be more than prepared to play.

Uwharrie Charter is a team that was very competitive last year against YVC West opponents and
they didn't lose anyone, and as you know most charters pick up a few players between seasons.

Finally, I think you at least have to put West Montgomery in the conversation with the addition of
a good coach. One thing is for certain. This will be a very interesting year for 1 A basketball.

Side note - Chatham Central returns everyone as well and they will definitely make some noise.
East Montgomery lost a tremendous group of seniors, with Simmons, Morris, and Lancaster. I believe
the Hassell kid might be a senior as well. Definitely a rebuilding year for the eagles.

Continuing with the YVC West
Chatham Charter will continue to build with a young team, while South Davidson has
a good core returning with PG Trent Shore as well as a JV team coming up that I
believe won the conference.

I do believe that you have the YVC West and East completely backwards. NM, EM, WM, CC, SD are in the EAST

Stangfan82,

You are right. Sorry for the confusion. So just take my assessment and flip it for the East.

Again to reiterate, I believe the East will be very competitive across
the board with NM, UC, WM battling for the top three spots.

Can UC really be in the top 3 next year Mustang Magic? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Spinmove, It is just a prediction and of course a stretch, but remember I said it first. Uwharrie Charter was competitive with every YVC team they faced. They had a solid team last year, and without losing anyone
they will definitely be in the hunt. We played them twice and only beat them by 3 the first time and 4 the second time. The program was in disarray with finding practice facilities and consistency. Those challenges will be met with the completion of their new school and 800 seat gymnasium.

Honestly, I think West Montgomery finishing in the top 3 is probably more of a stretch. Don't get me wrong Coach Smith is a great coach, but with the success that West should have on the Gridiron, he won't have very long to get his guys up to speed.

I think Albemarle wins the west for boys and girls will be a toss up between GS and Albemarle in basketball. As far as the conference split we have already been split for bball for 2 seasons. Our games are considered non conference. To my knowledge no new teams on the west side but will be adding 2 new teams uwharrie and chatham on the east.

As far as the east boys I think WM will be much more competitive this season. Already very athletic and with the addition of a good coach starting in Jamuary I see them being competitive. I think EM NM and WM will be the top 3. On the girls side I see SD taking it followed by WM CC and NM

Next year there will be no YVC East or YVC west though... It will be two totally separate conferences... The details have already been finalized and the ADs have voted on the new conference name. So this is the look for the new conferences until realignment in 2 years.

Yadkin Valley Conference

Gray Stone
Albemarle
North Stanly
Union Acad.
Queens Grant
Central Tar Heel Conference
South Davidson
West Montgomery
East Montgomery
North Moore
Chatham Central
Chatham Charter
Uwharrie Charter

Right what I am saying is the conference has been split for 2 seasons the only difference is they changed the name and added two teams chatham charter and uwharrie charter to the other side. There is no other difference.

Next year there will be no YVC East or YVC west though... It will be two totally separate conferences... The details have already been finalized and the ADs have voted on the new conference name. So this is the look for the new conferences until realignment in 2 years.

Yadkin Valley Conference

Gray Stone
Albemarle
North Stanly
Union Acad.
Queens Grant
Central Tar Heel Conference
South Davidson
West Montgomery
East Montgomery
North Moore
Chatham Central
Chatham Charter
Uwharrie Charter

Where will South Stanly be placed?

There is no difference in teams in conference with the exception of adding the 2 new schools to the west mont side which is now called CTC

I think Uwharrie has a fairly decent shot of winning that conference. The games with SD, NM, and WM will be good. As for the girls...not sure. Got the feeling last year they were two years away from being two years away.....

I agree with you. UC will definitely be in the conversation, though my Mustangs are going to be a tough out for any conference team. I think the championship will come down to UC & NM with maybe SD, CC, or WM potentially playing spoiler. We are definitely in for one of the most competitive conference seasons in quite a while. No team goes undefeated. The championship will be won on the road. Win your home games and hope to steal a couple of road wins.

The conference will be pretty tough this year. Coaches moving to other schools and UC actually having a gym this year to practice in and play home games will help them improve greatly. It's going to be a fun conference to watch. Good Luck to all the 1A schools.

Reactions: MustangMagic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT