ADVERTISEMENT

Your Schools Most Bitter defeats

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
We always discuss the great games we have won well let's switch it up...In a effort to spark some discussion let's hear some of your schools most bitter defeats you know the ones as a fan or player just stick with you maybe even keeps you up late at night lol

For my Clinton Dark Horses top 5 for me are:

#5 2014 27-21 OT loss at East Bladen...3 times inside the 10 without scoring I believe it was really hard loss that Clinton team could of went undefeated(well until the state championship game loss to Shelby)

#4 2000 35-34 double OT loss vs Western Alamance 3rd Round playoff.....Clinton's first home playoff loss since 94 that team could of very well won a state title which eventually happened the next season.

#3 2002 24-21 loss vs Burlington Cummings 2A State Championship game....A game simply famous for what us Clinton fans know it as "The Play" Clinton first year head coach calls a QB sneak on 4th and short to avoid punting into a very strong head on wind and to buy some time for a tired Clinton defense against a high powered Cummings offense Hicks has room up the middle but decides to try and take it to the outside and is stuffed one Drew Williamson TD pass and a FG later Cummings is State champs....that one still hurts

#2 1998 34-33 loss to Reidsville 3rd Playoff......that 1998 team may very well be the best team ever to not win a state championship...How could we not win...Willie Parker ,Ralph Smith,Bryan Peterson,James Faison and the list goes on....but nobody told Reidsville this...despite 210 yards from Parker two huge fumbles by Smith in the red zone and a missed extra point by Clinton kicker proved to be the difference

#1 2015 30-29 OT loss at Bunn 2AA Eastern Regional....not much to say bout this one...the game was over.... I'll say it again THE GAME WAS OVER!!!!.....but the refs did not see it that way Bunn was given .01 seconds to kick a game tying FG both teams traded scores in OT but Clinton's Chandler Perry misses the PAT on Clinton's score....most Clinton faithful would put the 98 Reidsville loss as number #1 but that one last December just eats me up...I still have not watch the playback of that game...saw it in person and once is enough for me....and what makes it worse the NCHSAA issuing a apology in the days following the game knowing the refs screwed up

Wildcard #1 2006 49-20 loss to Burlington Cummings 2A State Championship game....I added this one cause this was my last high school game and if anyone knows it absolutely sucks losing your last game especially in the state title game

Starmount loss to Bandys in 1996 2A West Finals. Bandys led 13-7 and stopped Starmount on the goal line on 4th down in the final seconds. I believe Bandys lost to Clinton the next week. We Ram fans thought our QB should have pitched it to our tailback on that play because he was a freakish athlete who would have scored.

DH 34 those were great on the list.

#1 Has to be the state championship game vs Burlington Cummings. IF the play is run as designed, its over, we win back to back titles against Cummings. Ironically, Coach Britt resigned after that season, his only season, going 15-1, guess the pressure to win at Clinton is higher than that of Hobbton where he was a coach for many years. Fans blamed the coach, players blamed the player. There were fights amongst the players after that game, at school the next week, all driven by that one play. I even heard the player who didn't run the sneak that cost the game, said in the locker room immediately after the game, "well there is always basketball season" and he was almost beat down by his teammates. In my opinion, I agreed with the call to go for it, and after talking with other coaches and players on that team, it was all agreed upon that the call was the correct call, but ask some fans today and they say, punt the ball. IDK what is right, all I know is if a sneak is ran the way it shouldve been ran, Clinton would have another title on its plaque at Darkhorse Stadium.

#2. Bunn Loss. Period. Stolen by the refs, to which we had to fight so hard against a good Bunn team to even come back.

#3. Western Alamance playoff game. I was in the band, we had stolen there Tomahawk Chomp song on the fly that there small pep band was playing throughout the game, we a 160 member band strong, started rocking it, it pumped up the team, we came back, only to lose on a missed XP in Double OT.

#4. The Northside game (game 1) I can't remember the year. We had Nic Cooper as our TB, he had been running it all game, we were down late, drove it inside the 5, went into Shotgun for the first time all night, the ball was snapped over Thomas Popes head, which he recoverd all the way back at midfield. Leading to a Hailmary at the buzzer to which garnered nothing. I remember being so mad at why we had a 225lb workhorse in the backfield, we get inside the 5, and go in shotgun. And no time was not a factor. We couldve got 3 runs off.
We came back and beat Northside later that year in the playoffs on our way to a state championship vs Lincolnton I believe.

DH 34 those were great on the list.

#1 Has to be the state championship game vs Burlington Cummings. IF the play is run as designed, its over, we win back to back titles against Cummings. Ironically, Coach Britt resigned after that season, his only season, going 15-1, guess the pressure to win at Clinton is higher than that of Hobbton where he was a coach for many years. Fans blamed the coach, players blamed the player. There were fights amongst the players after that game, at school the next week, all driven by that one play. I even heard the player who didn't run the sneak that cost the game, said in the locker room immediately after the game, "well there is always basketball season" and he was almost beat down by his teammates. In my opinion, I agreed with the call to go for it, and after talking with other coaches and players on that team, it was all agreed upon that the call was the correct call, but ask some fans today and they say, punt the ball. IDK what is right, all I know is if a sneak is ran the way it shouldve been ran, Clinton would have another title on its plaque at Darkhorse Stadium.

#2. Bunn Loss. Period. Stolen by the refs, to which we had to fight so hard against a good Bunn team to even come back.

#3. Western Alamance playoff game. I was in the band, we had stolen there Tomahawk Chomp song on the fly that there small pep band was playing throughout the game, we a 160 member band strong, started rocking it, it pumped up the team, we came back, only to lose on a missed XP in Double OT.

#4. The Northside game (game 1) I can't remember the year. We had Nic Cooper as our TB, he had been running it all game, we were down late, drove it inside the 5, went into Shotgun for the first time all night, the ball was snapped over Thomas Popes head, which he recoverd all the way back at midfield. Leading to a Hailmary at the buzzer to which garnered nothing. I remember being so mad at why we had a 225lb workhorse in the backfield, we get inside the 5, and go in shotgun. And no time was not a factor. We couldve got 3 runs off.
We came back and beat Northside later that year in the playoffs on our way to a state championship vs Lincolnton I believe.

Hery DH 04 that North side Jax loss was from the 06 season my senior year yes I remember it well going shotgun inside the 5 ball being snapped over Thomas's head......Coach Mallard really took it hard I saw him as I was coming out the locker room to get on the bus pretty much beating himself up saying to himself "run the ball run the ball" Coaching Clinton has a lot of pressure..... The center who snapped the ball to high took it hard too he didn't even change out of his pads for the ride home and cried on the bus.......we did come back and beat North side in the playoffs 25-0 then we lost to Burlington Cummings

To me Owen's loss to Whiteville in the 2nd round of the playoffs in 2003. Owen was the #1 seed, undefeated and led the state at that time in margin of victory all classifications including the dominant Independence team. Owen lost 28-21 after coughing up the ball 5 times. I just knew Owen would win there first title ever. We would have had Shelby in the 3rd round at home which we have never had and everyone all week was talking about that game the following week but I think fans and players alike all took Whiteville for granted and payed for it. The sloppy play was the hardest thing to swallow. We had the ball 8 times scored 3 times and turned it over 5 times so in short we beat ourselves. It was so unreal. I couldn't sleep for a week. I just never could come to grips with that loss. 11 kids out of 30 went on to play college football. We were so talented and deep for a Owen team. Alot of people around here tried to compare our team 2 years ago to that one but to me there is no comparison. That team in 2003 would romp any and all teams we ever had. They just never were tested all year and when adversity hit they didn't react well to it.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
DH34, my apologies. When calling the games, wins and losses, you lose track of time, but never forget the sequence of events. DH 34, isn't it true also about the 15-1 year when we lost to Cummings after "the play", that Cummings had no timeouts left?.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
Im not %100 sure I remember it was a epic collapse when the QB made that epic mistake we were up 21-14

Last edited:
DH34, my apologies. When calling the games, wins and losses, you lose track of time, but never forget the sequence of events. DH 34, isn't it true also about the 15-1 year when we lost to Cummings after "the play", that Cummings had no timeouts left?.
You are correct, Cummings did not have any timeouts left. If Clinton had gotten that first down, they could have just taken an knee and ran the time out. I was at that game as well, and when they failed to get the first down, I knew Drew Williamson would work some magic with that prolific arm of his.

What people don't remember is after they stopped us and scored, clinton still had a chance to move the ball, and I think on 3rd down (which this next plays means they must have had atleast one timeout but who knows), we threw the ball and IF it hadn't been tipped our WR was wide open because Cummings just thought we were gonna run it, It was tipped and intercepted, then Cummings kicked the FG. Epic Meltdown to say the least!

'97 loss to Clinton in the SC was tough. Down by a little and driving deep in Clinton territory late in the game 4th and 1 and we go on two and my guard jumps offsides. Pushed us back 5 yards and we couldn't convert. We we're defeated after that. Clinton scored 2 quick scores after that. Had we converted that who knows what would have happened?!?!

'04 loss to SW Onslow was tough. That Shelby team was incredible. 3 turnovers on the first 3 Shelby snaps inside our own 20 put the team in a hole they couldn't work themselves out of.

Several Shelby/Crest games have been bitter losses.

Reactions: FOOTBALLFANTIC
'97 loss to Clinton in the SC was tough. Down by a little and driving deep in Clinton territory late in the game 4th and 1 and we go on two and my guard jumps offsides. Pushed us back 5 yards and we couldn't convert. We we're defeated after that. Clinton scored 2 quick scores after that. Had we converted that who knows what would have happened?!?!

'04 loss to SW Onslow was tough. That Shelby team was incredible. 3 turnovers on the first 3 Shelby snaps inside our own 20 put the team in a hole they couldn't work themselves out of.

Several Shelby/Crest games have been bitter losses.
Those turnovers though....can cost a team every time!

Reactions: '98 State Champion
94 playoff lost to Wallace Rose-Hill was pretty bitter as well since we beat them pretty easily 28-9 during the regular season match up...Clinton RB Juan Williams wqe injured the week before u believe

Surprised no none from WRH has chimed in: don't remember the year, but the Bulldogs were finally going to get Jack Holley a championship, and basically at run-out-the-clock time their back got striped by a Thomasville player who ran it in for a game-ending touchdown.
Another crazy ending I recall was Charlotte Independence in the state championship at least 20 years ago (vs. maybe Richmond or South View?); Independence trailing and down to their last play, hail Mary bounces off the defender's helmet into the receiver's hands for the game-winning touchdown.

I have been the stat guy for South Granville for the last 11 years....here are the top (bottom) three most painful, gut wrenching losses I have been a part of from that time:

#3 2012 @ Carrboro Jaguars, Lost 36-29 in OT: Eight fumbles; in the entire game, there were a total of eight fumbles. Carrboro recovered EVERY one of them. The Jaguars put the ball on the ground four times, and were fortunate enough to recover them all; right place at the right time; lucky bounces; whatever it was, they fumbled the ball four times and did not lose one. South Granville fumbled the ball four times and lost every one of them. Do the math on that turnover ratio, then look at how close the game played out, and try to figure out why this loss is so high/low on the list. Carrboro came into the game undefeated, but based on common opponents and scores and all, Viking nation knew it was a very winnable game. The game FINALLY got started after roughly a two hour lightning delay. Both teams were looking to start 1-0 in conference, and the Jaguars were looking to avenge two losses at South Granville in 2011, including a first round playoff game. The Vikings forced a quick three and out, then scored in three or four plays, taking a quick 7-0 lead. I wonder if it came too easy. because it seemed like the then guys relaxed, (much like Southern Nash had done against the Vikings two weeks earlier after getting a quick easy TD), then went in the tank for the rest of the first half, including a couple of lost fumbles, while the Carrboro offense had the run and pass working with QB Alex McVeigh and RB Trai Sharp leading the way, taking a 22-7 lead into halftime. In the second half, the Vikings stormed back like I hadn't seen in years. It was like the first two series of the game repeated back to back. In the blink of an eye, it was 22-22. Then Carrboro's offense woke up for a drive, scoring early in the 4th quarter to take the lead back 29-22. The Vikings answered right back to tie the game at 29-29. Late in the 4th quarter, the Vikings had the ball late with a chance to win, but then came one of those plays that seemed surreal or in slow motion; you see the Viking receiver catch the pass for what should have been a first down, but lost fumble #3 of the game ended that drive. Then the Viking defense rose up and forced overtime despite the Jaguars starting with great field position. Carrboro had the ball first in overtime and scored. The Vikings needed to score a TD to have a chance, but lost fumble #4 of the game on the first play of the series let the Jaguars stay undefeated for another week, and they actually stayed undefeated all the way to the state championship game before losing there 30-27 and finishing at 15-1 while the Vikings go another season STILL stuck at the nine win plateau.

#2 2009 2nd Rd Playoffs. vs. Northwood Chargers, Lost 21-20 in OT: This is a rare game from any of my blog countdown lists that I can write about even though I was not even there. As I type this, it was the most recent South Granville football game that I missed, as my wife and I were moving back on Nov. 20, 2009. I had taken the day off work to do the closing paperwork, unload the U-Haul, set up furniture, and open the door for the cable guy and the appliance deliveries, etc. This game (along with a 35-7 drubbing of South Lenoir) was played at JF Webb HS because of poor field conditions on the Vikings' home field. As was always the case in losses to Northwood in 2009-2010 (three out of four), the Vikings were without their starting QB, this time for disciplinary reasons, but the rest of the team was ready to play, led by a talented group of seniors, many of whom had been playing varsity since their sophomore years, even a couple since their freshman year. I saw the play by play stats and could not believe how many chances were squandered, or mistakes were made that took the wind out of the Vikings' sails; drives with big plays coming up empty, forcing a turnover then giving it right back, penalties at the worst possible moments. After four quarters of hard fought action between two talented teams, it was 14-14. The Chargers had the ball first in overtime and took the lead 21-14. The Vikings scored a TD to draw within 21-20 but the extra point was deflected and Northwood survived and advanced. At that point in the Hobgood era, everybody paying attention knew that this team had what it took to go much deeper in the playoffs, but the little things like a penalty here, a fumble there, a missed tackle in the backfield, can take a team capable of going all the way and keep them stuck at the 9 wins, AGAIN.

#1 2011 2nd Rd Playoffs vs. Reidsville Rams, Lost 21-20: Even though the 2011 season for the Vikings had some painful losses early in the non-conference portion of the season (Chapel Hill, Southern Vance, Northeast Guilford-see Dishonorable Mention), the troops rallied to win huge conference games over Carrboro, Northwood, and Cedar Ridge to be at home for the first two playoff games, and unlike 2009 when the field conditions moved the games to JF Webb HS, this time the Vikings would actually be at home. The first round saw a conference rematch with Carrboro go the Vikings' way 36-21, in a game that didn't feel like it should have been that close, and may not have been had the officials actually enforced rules about offensive pass interference against Jaguars' big receiver Marlin Johnson, but the second round was different: These were THE Reidsville Rams, hailing from Titletown, NC...Nobody's tradition is any better: 21 state championship game appearances, 16 of them wins. Tonight was the Vikings' chance to put themselves on the map in high school football in NC. Extra bleachers were brought in to accommodate the huge contingent on the visitor side. It was Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2011, and US Armed Forces veterans from both fan bases were invited to gather on the field during the national anthem before the game. It felt like it was going to be a special night. For two and a half quarters, it was, for the Vikings anyway. South Granville's offensive line with one senior and four or five sophomores blocked beautifully the entire first half, while the backs ran hard and gave the Vikings a 20-0 halftime lead against a hard-nosed quality opponent not used to getting bounced in the early rounds of the playoffs. Why 20 and not 21 for SG? Well, one of the extra points after an SG TD was either blocked or missed wide. The Viking defense had also limited the damage, shutting out the Rams in the first half, and keeping their QB contained on all but a couple of plays. BUT, THIS ENTIRE GAME TURNED ON ONE PLAY: Vikings have the ball in the 3rd quarter, driving, in Ram territory, hoping to go up by four scores, still running the ball effectively. Then, there was a a fumble in the backfield. A Reidsville defender pounces on it and runs it back roughly 60 yards for a TD, cuts lead to 20-7. It never felt the same. The Viking offense didn't totally go in the tank; still making a few first downs here and there and if I remember correctly, never turning the ball over again...and Reidsville's offense never hit any game-breaking plays, but that one big scoop & score gave them all of the momentum. The Rams made more plays on both sides of the ball the rest of the way. After the Vikings' ensuing drive stalled following the fumble return, taking much more time off the clock, Reidsville went on a grind it out drive to draw within 20-14 early in the 4th quarter. South Granville countered with another long, time consuming drive, but could not get on the scoreboard. When the Rams got the ball back, they had a chance to tie or take the lead for the first time since the 1st quarter. On this drive, they must have converted a 4th down three different times, plus at least one 3rd down. For the Vikings, it felt like if the defense could get off the field just one more series, the offense could muster whatever was left in the tank to run out the clock. But it was not to be. By the time the SG offense got the ball back, the Rams had taken the lead 21-20 with about one minute to play in the 4th quarter. By then it felt like the entire Viking sideline was spent, physically, mentally, and emotionally. It was a hard fought game, that was oh so close to going the right way, like so many others on this list. It was in striking distance, again and again....get a stop of any of those 4th down plays in the 4th quarter...or make one more first down somewhere along the way in the second half and keep a drive going and see what happens...or have a different play called on the one with the fumble that Reidsville ran back for a TD. It was so, so close to being the first time since 1975 that the Vikings made it to the third round of the playoffs, but again, it was not to be.

Remember that South Granville game with my Reidsville Rams...A game where victory was literally snatched from the jaws of defeat...and you are correct that fumble return totally turned the game around...got the team and visiting crowd fired up...both had been in a state of shock after going down by 3 scores......................

Over the last 50 years, we would have to say our 6 title game losses hurt the most. Tough on everyone to get that far and lose the championship.
The fourteen rings make it bearable.
Six plus fourteen = Twenty.
That's right.
Twenty title games in the last 50 years. Between 2 and 5 appearances each of the past six decades.
Think about it.

Over the last 50 years, we would have to say our 6 title game losses hurt the most. Tough on everyone to get that far and lose the championship.
The fourteen rings make it bearable.
Six plus fourteen = Twenty.
That's right.
Twenty title games in the last 50 years. Between 2 and 5 appearances each of the past six decades.
Think about it.

Title losses are the worse. The 2005 loss to Shelby by 8 points after four turnovers.

The following day, driving thru DC, I was listening to Redskins post game. The host said....you can't win these games turning the ball over four times. I was screaming at the radio....tell me about it.

4 games come to mind for me:

1) 1978 Tabor City Red Devils lost to Maiden in the SC. TC had given up just 36 points the entire season including 3 straight shutouts in the playoffs. 13-0 heading into that game. Lost 36-14.

2) 1987 TC Red Devils lost to Murphy in the SC at Tabor City. QB/Safety went down with broken collar bone on 1st def series. Carl Pickens and the Bulldogs win 27-3.

3) 2007 South Columbus Stallions cruise to 15-0. Defeat a very tough Joe Womack and NS Jax team in the eastern only to fall to Lincolnton 28-14 in the title game.

4) 2011 South Columbus Stallions face Todd Gurley and the Tarboro Vikings. Lead the entire game until the last couple of mins. Gurley held to 26 total yards. Lost 13-10. In the title game, Gurley rushes for well over 200 yds and scores 4-5 TD's.

Surprised no none from WRH has chimed in: don't remember the year, but the Bulldogs were finally going to get Jack Holley a championship, and basically at run-out-the-clock time their back got striped by a Thomasville player who ran it in for a game-ending touchdown.
Another crazy ending I recall was Charlotte Independence in the state championship at least 20 years ago (vs. maybe Richmond or South View?); Independence trailing and down to their last play, hail Mary bounces off the defender's helmet into the receiver's hands for the game-winning touchdown.

It was Richmond against West Forsyth in the championship game ... I was there because my room mate went to West. Not an exciting game except for the ending. Somebody told it was the only catch all year for the kid who caught the TD. Crazy

East Bladen- 2003 2A Eastern Final to SWO and 2006 1A Eastern Finals to James Kenan- Both teams could probably have won State Championships but just got nosed out each time.

1993 Maiden@Thomasville west semi final game,maiden was wining a low scoring defensive game 12-6 with seconds on the clock,Thomasville scores on a fourth and goal pass play and kicked the extra point to go up 13-12 with maybe 10 seconds left,Coach brown decides to kick the ball on the ground instead of kicking it deep to the maiden return men,maiden recovers the squib kick at about the 50 yard line,maiden QB Matt rummage(not sure about the name)throws a Hail Mary pass that was cought at the 1 yard line with single coverage on the Reciever,and he(Chris Ramsuer?)dives into the end zone with all zeros on the clock maiden wins 18-13,that lose was very hard to swallow..but maybe it was a good thing we lost that game,because the following week maiden got destroyed by Lincolnton 56-0 in the western finals.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT