ADVERTISEMENT

Your schools best team

At the time of 2012 South Iredell was 2A. They won the 2AA State Championship over Carborro. Followed by 2010,11 season as well. When South Iredell at 3A I would say 2017 when they had Brady Pope throwing for over 10,000 yards in his HS career. Sweet victory was when they won 2nd over AL Brown 41-21 in the 2017 2nd rd of the 3AA playoff game.

Reidsville 2002 was a great team...but there were several others....some old timers say the 1954 was one of the top...I personally think the 1970 team was in the top 5...............any of the 2007=2009 teams///and the 2016...................too many great ones to pick THE greatest....................

Reactions: Ooooner
Pisgah- I would have to say the 2006 team I was on would prob be our best... We got beat by Shelby in reg. finals, who of course went on to win state that year in what was still hands down the best high school game I've ever been to, played in, or seen. A lot of the old timers around town would disagree and say 75' and 76' teams since they won two ships but I wasn't alive then and the game was so different, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Reidsville 2002 was a great team...but there were several others....some old timers say the 1954 was one of the top...I personally think the 1970 team was in the top 5...............any of the 2007=2009 teams///and the 2016...................too many great ones to pick THE greatest....................

Def would be a close call between Reidsville teams.

1999 West Canaan Coyotes...So talented and a lot of drama surrounded that team. Lot of people don't know it, but the coach was kind of a obsessive compulsive, self absorbed asshole.

Id have an attitude if I had won 23 district titles and two state championships.

Best Burns teams
1988, won a playoff game, no shame in losing to Shelby
1990, great team that lost a tough playoff game to AL Brown
1994 (obviously)
2013, yeah we were blown out to end the Matt Beam era but lost a tough one to Crest, should’ve gone farther)
I included a few teams that I felt were underrated (1988, 1990)

Best Burns teams
1988, won a playoff game, no shame in losing to Shelby
1990, great team that lost a tough playoff game to AL Brown
1994 (obviously)
2013, yeah we were blown out to end the Matt Beam era but lost a tough one to Crest, should’ve gone farther)
I included a few teams that I felt were underrated (1988, 1990)

That might be a better topic, your schools most underrated team

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
Probably not the best year (2003-04 was) but the most thrilling team. After losing to Clinton 7-0 on to win their first championship. After getting by N. Vance 22-20 in first round put a whippin on East Bladen 41-6 and Reidsville 48-21. The East finals was one of the best games I ever saw. On a Cold night in Elon it went to the last play of the game all tied. We had a reciever, tall kid who could not catch a cold all year. On a pass into the endzone the WA defender, who was a lot smaller climbed up his back on what was probably a non catchable ball and drew the interference flag. Right back to him on the next play and Wonders never cease, He caught it for the win 37-36. Title game was just about as good outlasting Newton Conover 14-13

Probably not the best year (2003-04 was) but the most thrilling team. After losing to Clinton 7-0 on to win their first championship. After getting by N. Vance 22-20 in first round put a whippin on East Bladen 41-6 and Reidsville 48-21. The East finals was one of the best games I ever saw. On a Cold night in Elon it went to the last play of the game all tied. We had a reciever, tall kid who could not catch a cold all year. On a pass into the endzone the WA defender, who was a lot smaller climbed up his back on what was probably a non catchable ball and drew the interference flag. Right back to him on the next play and Wonders never cease, He caught it for the win 37-36. Title game was just about as good outlasting Newton Conover 14-13
You're referring to the 2000 team, obviously. LOL

In the east finals, it was huge when we tied it to go to overtime. WA got the ball first and scored a touchdown, but missed the extra point. We pounded it in to tie it up in overtime and one of those Sunday kids split the uprights to win 37-36. One of the best games EVER!!!

As far as since I have been alive (1993), the East Rutherford Cavaliers' 2005 team was really strong. A 12-2 season. Lost to Pisgah by 3 in the regular season and then beat them by 13 in the second round of the playoffs. Lost to Shelby in the third round of the playoffs by 3 in OT, I believe, after beating them by 2 in the regular season. Shelby went on to win the state championship and East Rutherford definitely had the talent to win it had they gotten by Shelby again.

As far as since I have been alive (1993), the East Rutherford Cavaliers' 2005 team was really strong. A 12-2 season. Lost to Pisgah by 3 in the regular season and then beat them by 13 in the second round of the playoffs. Lost to Shelby in the third round of the playoffs by 3 in OT, I believe, after beating them by 2 in the regular season. Shelby went on to win the state championship and East Rutherford definitely had the talent to win it had they gotten by Shelby again.

That's a lot of teams final word on their best team ever...if we had just gotten by Shelby.

Just on teams I have actually seen in person, it would probably be 1999 or 2000. Whichever year was Manny's senior year.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Just on teams I have actually seen in person, it would probably be 1999 or 2000. Whichever year was Manny's senior year.
I remember those Brevard teams, they were legit! Those Deshauteurs boys could hit. Manny and later Pierre. The 2006 Brevard team was really good too. 3rd best team in the state that year. But, as Smashmouth said... That damn Shelby! Lol.

Last edited:
That playoff game still hurts everytime I hear the words East Rutherford... That was a very good team though! Hard to beat the same team twice in one season. Both games were at your house. Y'all had speed absolutely everywhere and a hell of a kicker (BB) that actually became a pretty good friend of mine when we played together at WCU.

Last edited:
1990 or 1997 Clinton overall best team in school history

Best teams to not win Championships 1998,2002,and 2016

Reactions: UNC91
Reidsville did not lose to SWO in 2003.....Reidsville won the 2AA title that year...SWO beat the Rams in the 3rd round in 2000.......

1999 West Canaan Coyotes...So talented and a lot of drama surrounded that team. Lot of people don't know it, but the coach was kind of a obsessive compulsive, self absorbed asshole.

The rumors of how he lost his job just astounds me.. like who punches a kid like that so brazenly? If it's true he threw his whole reputation and legacy away over a benchwarmer. How dumb. Then that kid went out and pretty much was the offensive coordinator.. where were the coaches at? They'd never allow that here in NC that's for darn sure. I do admit the film I've seen of that offense was awesome.. a West Coast/Air Raid hybrid. Genius.

Reactions: kenan98
Reidsville did not lose to SWO in 2003.....Reidsville won the 2AA title that year...SWO beat the Rams in the 3rd round in 2000.......

Might want to reread his post. He is saying that the 2003 team was our best, but the most thrilling was the 2000 team that beat yall in the 3rd round.

I think with SWO it is between the 1990 team and 2003 team, I don't think people understand how talented and huge Marcus Jones really was even in high school (When he got to the NFL they even marveled at how huge he was). His team had legit size and strength all down the line (they play both ways). 1a might never see a defense that talented again. Jerrell Revels (LSU) was just as talented as Marcus sent kids to the hospital every Friday (serious we had two ambulances at every game back the, and one usually got used). The late Dlee42 used to make up sizes that sounded unreal, but 6'5 or better across line 200 pounds by maybe two guys the other two to three 220-240. I forget his name but a guy that looked Samoan was huge. I would have to check the records but they gave up under like 20 points total that year but lost in the first round. It was hyped that year to play Swain County with Heath Shular the number 1 QB in country verse Marcus Jones the number 1 defensive player in the country. We somehow lost to I believe Rosewood 3-0. SMH. Padgett better be happy no message boards then!

2003 team was just a collection of speed and kids who really loved playing football. Kendric Burney was the headlines, but TQ Hardison was as talented and fast as any running back we ever had. Our LBs were fast and vicious. Just of collection of talent on that team, fun to watch!

That 1991 first round loss to 16th seed Rosewood was painful to watch. I think the key for Rosewood was a D lineman that was on a kid we called Little Fridge on our O line. He got beat and drug all over the filed that night. Needless to say our run game was non existent.

We gave up a total of 57 points that year with 5 shutouts. Oh and the final was 14-10 Rosewood. Rosewood went to the Title game and lost to Murphy 30-3.

Reactions: superstar57
That might be a better topic, your schools most underrated team

2012 was underrated too. That team had a chip on its shoulder, no one gave us a chance after losing Brandon Littlejohn and Darius Ramsey but we had to deal with Goatgate and had to play the playoffs at KM and we still should have made it to at least the 4th round if not the state, but had an injury to Damerrian Petty and a bad night from the kicker and a motivated Freedom team who had been kicked out of the playoffs the year before.

And 1997 was underrated too. Our only regular season losses that year were to our three county rivals. Lost to playoff nemisis AL Brown on a last second field goal in the fog that nobody except the refs saw go through the uprights. It was the first year Shelby was 2A so KM was our only conference loss. I believe ER drew the short straw and missed the playoffs that year in the 6-team SWC. That was the year after I graduated. That might have been the most underrated team ever, we were only 3-7 the year before.

Last edited:
Most definitely your best team in history could have a few L's.

A 1a school with 350 could have a loss or two and still be the best in school history.
If said school lost one to 3a Erwin or Asheville or both I wouldn't look down at that.

Fair enough....how about best team in school history and not win conference championship? And no, not a split conference?

Might want to reread his post. He is saying that the 2003 team was our best, but the most thrilling was the 2000 team that beat yall in the 3rd round.

I think with SWO it is between the 1990 team and 2003 team, I don't think people understand how talented and huge Marcus Jones really was even in high school (When he got to the NFL they even marveled at how huge he was). His team had legit size and strength all down the line (they play both ways). 1a might never see a defense that talented again. Jerrell Revels (LSU) was just as talented as Marcus sent kids to the hospital every Friday (serious we had two ambulances at every game back the, and one usually got used). The late Dlee42 used to make up sizes that sounded unreal, but 6'5 or better across line 200 pounds by maybe two guys the other two to three 220-240. I forget his name but a guy that looked Samoan was huge. I would have to check the records but they gave up under like 20 points total that year but lost in the first round. It was hyped that year to play Swain County with Heath Shular the number 1 QB in country verse Marcus Jones the number 1 defensive player in the country. We somehow lost to I believe Rosewood 3-0. SMH. Padgett better be happy no message boards then!

2003 team was just a collection of speed and kids who really loved playing football. Kendric Burney was the headlines, but TQ Hardison was as talented and fast as any running back we ever had. Our LBs were fast and vicious. Just of collection of talent on that team, fun to watch!

Remember it like it was yesterday. Watching Marcus Jones play was like nothing else. 2000 team overachieved that year. Rarely used linemen got a finger tip on the extra point to win it all.

2003 team was by far the most talented team in SWO history. Kashawn Brooks leading rusher in SWO history put on a show every friday night. Kendric Burney was a Soph, playing Wr and CB. Ryan peedin 6 5 300 LB animal Geidoen Ape 6 5 350 beast. During the title game vs Cumming, boy was Bo Williams running for his life. SWO came back the next year to win back to back with TQ Hardison and Kendric Burney carrying the team.

Kendric Burney senior year SWO had a chance to 3peat. Really thought they had a good shot returning 9 college bound. Went to the game at SC that night. Dakota Marshall (ecu/nfl) fumbled the ball i think 6 times that night. Burney father didnt take that game well. Them boys had huge heads and didn't come ready to play. Nothing is promised

Biggest disappointment 1990 by far. Came back to watch every game Marcus played in.

We have had some good teams over the years at pisgah.The 2006 team ,94 team that beat Shelby and lost to Burns,75 and 76 state champion teams,70 team that lost to Reidsville in the Western district final.But my pick for the best Pisgah Team was the 71 Western District Champion team.They were 13-0 averaged 45 points a game while giving up only 5 points a game.

Reactions: PBBear51
Remember it like it was yesterday. Watching Marcus Jones play was like nothing else. 2000 team overachieved that year. Rarely used linemen got a finger tip on the extra point to win it all.

2003 team was by far the most talented team in SWO history. Kashawn Brooks leading rusher in SWO history put on a show every friday night. Kendric Burney was a Soph, playing Wr and CB. Ryan peedin 6 5 300 LB animal Geidoen Ape 6 5 350 beast. During the title game vs Cumming, boy was Bo Williams running for his life. SWO came back the next year to win back to back with TQ Hardison and Kendric Burney carrying the team.

Kendric Burney senior year SWO had a chance to 3peat. Really thought they had a good shot returning 9 college bound. Went to the game at SC that night. Dakota Marshall (ecu/nfl) fumbled the ball i think 6 times that night. Burney father didnt take that game well. Them boys had huge heads and didn't come ready to play. Nothing is promised

Biggest disappointment 1990 by far. Came back to watch every game Marcus played in.

in regards to SWO's chance to 3 peat in 05; Clinton bear SWO last game of the regular season to win ECC. I remember the Horses beating ED in 3rd round in OT. I don't remember playing SWO in a playoff but i think the Horses beat Northside for the eastern championship 2 years in a row in 05 at Clinton and 06 at Northside. Northside must have taken care of South Columbus in the year you're talking about.

in regards to SWO's chance to 3 peat in 05; Clinton bear SWO last game of the regular season to win ECC. I remember the Horses beating ED in 3rd round in OT. I don't remember playing SWO in a playoff but i think the Horses beat Northside for the eastern championship 2 years in a row in 05 at Clinton and 06 at Northside. Northside must have taken care of South Columbus in the year you're talking about.

The only playoff between SWO and Clinton was in 2004. 2nd round which SWO won 31-8.

Swo lost on the road at South Columbus in 2nd round

Reactions: Wizard of the East
1975 North Davidson team that tied Shelby for the WNCHSAA title. Perry Tuttle who would go on to be All American at Clemson was just a sophomore.

The most talented team however was 2012 that lost in the 4A semis to Porter Ridge. That team had a sophomore Shy Tuttle, older brother do everything QB/CB/KR/PR Tevin Tuttle, and Andrew Mayton who went to WCU. One bad quarter made the difference unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT