ADVERTISEMENT

Your NCHSAA at its finest

You know, it’s just not worth it. Murphy will play and win the title on Saturday no matter what happened last week. I’m sure that must upset you and Mr. Head Official. To me that’s a good thing.
Sure it's worth it....the pics and videos that you claim to have clearing the player that's suspended...Post them and show us all how crooked the NCHSAA and Ref are by ignoring this. Go ahead....

Reactions: BK13T-$
And which set would you prefer....Flags for flagrant violations or no flags?
That’s a subjective question. The inconsistency across the State in referees is the issue. I watched a terrible crew at the Mitchell/Murphy game, but watched a great crew at the Scotland County game last week. It’s hard to know what you’re going to get in a crew. This you have instances like one player getting ejected for a play that should have probably been a 15 yard pf penalty, and then nothing for plays that definitely deserved an ejection.

Reactions: Mhsneer
That’s a subjective question. The inconsistency across the State in referees is the issue. I watched a terrible crew at the Mitchell/Murphy game, but watched a great crew at the Scotland County game last week. It’s hard to know what you’re going to get in a crew. This you have instances like one player getting ejected for a play that should have probably been a 15 yard pf penalty, and then nothing for plays that definitely deserved an ejection.
You say it should have been a 15 yrd pf....but the NCHSAA ejection policy says kicking is a ejection...which should the official go by?

Reactions: BK13T-$
I meant going back and forth with you is not worth it. I don’t feel the need to prove anything to you. You are just another clown trying to stir up trouble. The fact that no flag was thrown on the player doing the ankle twisting is proof enough for me that the officials were crooked. Like it or lump it.
I'll take like it. Have a good day friend.

Again, where was the flag for ankle twisting? Or is that not flagrant enough for you? The Murphy kid had been battling a sprained ankle all season.

Show the video of the kick. Show the video of the ankle twisting. My guess is the kick is able to be seen on the video? The ankle twisting probably not. It is in the pile or under the tackler in some form. Not as easy to see.

Recruiting and retaining officials is a hot topic at the NCHSAA and SCHSL right now. There was a thirty minute discussion on it at the NCHSAA Board of Directors meeting last week. They are not bringing in an equal number of referees that are leaving. It is going to be a problem. Pay is going up but I think that many that would like to ref do not want to deal with the harrassment and the physical threats that have became more prevalent. Many people I talk to just do not have the time to do it as they are working more now than they once did.

Show the video of the kick. Show the video of the ankle twisting. My guess is the kick is able to be seen on the video? The ankle twisting probably not. It is in the pile or under the tackler in some form. Not as easy to see.
Nope you could see the Rville player twisting his ankle from where I was sitting and I was even with the press box and it wasnt the 1st play that Rville did it

Still not out to paint either side as being right or wrong. And I am not here to defend inappropriate actions but on the field there is so much going on that is not seen. If you take every play and watch it under a microscope no one is going to be perfect or a saint. And as for my personal opinion, at the worst I believe Mctaggart would of sat out for a quarter or a half. I don’t think you should take a kids last opportunity away. I understand everything has consequences but as some have pointed out there is no consistency in officiating. Don’t decide to lay the hammer down when there have been multiple times to before hand. I really think they should have took in consideration the magnitude of the decision. This is the Championship, there is no next season. Like I’ve said if this was Anderson, I’d be just like any Murphy fan. Fighting tooth and nail to let the kid play a game they’ve sacrificed for.

Still not out to paint either side as being right or wrong. And I am not here to defend inappropriate actions but on the field there is so much going on that is not seen. If you take every play and watch it under a microscope no one is going to be perfect or a saint. And as for my personal opinion, at the worst I believe Mctaggart would of sat out for a quarter or a half. I don’t think you should take a kids last opportunity away. I understand everything has consequences but as some have pointed out there is no consistency in officiating. Don’t decide to lay the hammer down when there have been multiple times to before hand. I really think they should have took in consideration the magnitude of the decision. This is the Championship, there is no next season. Like I’ve said if this was Anderson, I’d be just like any Murphy fan. Fighting tooth and nail to let the kid play a game they’ve sacrificed for.
Amen

Here is the way I see it, Slade kicked at him or kicked him ,the refs made the call by the book "ejection " now if it was me calling, for Slade or any kid I would have went to the Coach and asked if the kid was a senior or maybe any grade, and said coach we are gonna change it to a disqualification. That is the human factor knowing how huge a State Championship game is for a teenager.How many of you made bad decisions as a teenager, God knows I did.

Perfect post. A person who understands kids.

Reactions: Gps62
Dude just give it a break, damn...

We get it. You're happy he doesn't get to play. Enjoy your basketball season.

Reactions: mbdfan
Here is the way I see it, Slade kicked at him or kicked him ,the refs made the call by the book "ejection " now if it was me calling, for Slade or any kid I would have went to the Coach and asked if the kid was a senior or maybe any grade, and said coach we are gonna change it to a disqualification. That is the human factor knowing how huge a State Championship game is for a teenager.How many of you made bad decisions as a teenager, God knows I did.
I see what your saying...but the rule is plain and simple for kicking. It is ejection! And a referee that will not go by the rules as no business refereeing a game. The NCHSAA has taken that one away from case by case judgement calls...coaches better tell their players ...if you do this you will face the consequences no matter who you are or what's at stake.

Then do a better job at seeing what causes some of these actions ,most kids dont react just because they got tackled , we coach our kids hard to walk away ,some kids are better than others at it.

I see what your saying...but the rule is plain and simple for kicking. It is ejection! And a referee that will not go by the rules as no business refereeing a game. The NCHSAA has taken that one away from case by case judgement calls...coaches better tell their players ...if you do this you will face the consequences no matter who you are or what's at stake.
I tend to agree. I hate it for Slade but it makes for a very slippery slope if you go that route of asking the coach or on a case by case basis you in essence lose the rule. The time for common sense is before he throws the flag. Once it's thrown then you have to abide within the rules.

Dude just give it a break, damn...

We get it. You're happy he doesn't get to play. Enjoy your basketball season.
No, I wish it hadn't happened. But I'm one of many that have/are discussing this...all I've said is 1) I saw what happened 2) Asked someone to post pics or videos that clearly show what all happened 3) Pointed out that kicking= ejection..according to the NCHSAA

Consistent yes....but consistent with flaging flagrant penaltys or not?
Ok so here you go ,football is violent its played with emotion, we teach it physical, sometimes emotions run high ,everyone has on a helmet and pads ,if you punch somebody in the helmet you break your hand ,throw a penalty and keep playing.

Reactions: Gps62
Then do a better job at seeing what causes some of these actions ,most kids dont react just because they got tackled , we coach our kids hard to walk away ,some kids are better than others at it.
No doubt there are many different personalities on a team.

Ok so here you go ,football is violent its played with emotion, we teach it physical, sometimes emotions run high ,everyone has on a helmet and pads ,if you punch somebody in the helmet you break your hand ,throw a penalty and keep playing.
I'm all for it!!! That's just not what the rule says.

Yeah it's all fun and games until a 2nd punch is thrown a few plays later and all hell breaks lose. There has to be repercussions for certain behavior and players have to learn to keep their emotions in check. It's part of growing up.

Recruiting and retaining officials is a hot topic at the NCHSAA and SCHSL right now. There was a thirty minute discussion on it at the NCHSAA Board of Directors meeting last week. They are not bringing in an equal number of referees that are leaving. It is going to be a problem. Pay is going up but I think that many that would like to ref do not want to deal with the harrassment and the physical threats that have became more prevalent. Many people I talk to just do not have the time to do it as they are working more now than they once did.

People won't care until football games are getting canceled because they can't get officials. Maybe then people will take a chill pill and realize how stupid they make themselves look on a nightly basis. Many seem to forget that the vast majority of officials work day jobs and officiating is something they do for extra income and because they love the game.

Officiating has to be the hardest job you can do ,you never make everybody happy ,but when you walk on the field with a chip on your shoulder looking for a problem that's not right, the officials that talk to you and not look to throw a flag because your foot is on the line of the coaches box ,have things go much smoother, one of the nicest most respectful kids on our team got called Friday for defensive hitting below waist ,he asked the head man what he did ,and he told him one more word and he was out.

Before the playoffs the officials were told to tighten up due to all the fights that had occurred recently. Stop the fights before they happen.

There were three games that ended in brawls near the end of the season. Six teams seasons were ended. Remember the ending of The Wanders movie. One was literally like that with fans and players going at it and the police finally using pepper spray. Another had players running across the field and jumping over the home team bench as the fight moved up against the stands around midfield after starting on the field at the 25 to 30 yard line. It was felt it was an escalation throughout the game that led to the brawls. Fighting and sportsmanship was part of presentation at the media day Wednesday at Carter Finley. Never had that been part of the team briefings or speeches.

Part of the problem is talking trash and posturing. Part is dirty play. Some comes from social media posts. I expect more hard consequences moving forward for fighting. Would not surprise me to see coaches suspended if a team forfeits games or misses the playoffs due to breaking the rules.

Would everyone feel the same if the jerseys were swapped? Would all of you Murphy folks be as forgiving if it had been a Robbinsville kid that kicked at one of your players? What about you Robbinsville folks? Would you still be sticking to the rules? Just curious....

I really think that a whole bunch of attitudes on both teams would not be quite the same if the roles were reversed. As a fan of another SMC team, I don't have a dog in this fight. I really hate it for the Murphy kid but he broke the rules. He let his emotions/frustrations get the best of him. It appears he has accepted the consequences of his actions. Some fans need to accept it too. Too much attention is being put on one decision that he made in the heat of the battle. The kid has had a nice career at Murphy. Remember his career for that, not one boneheaded play.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
You Murphy fans act like you lost Todd Gurley or something. You already get every advantage in the book so quit crying about having to follow State rules when one of your players makes a bonehead move.
Go dig a hole, stop worrying about murphy

Reactions: BulldogDad27-23
Before the playoffs the officials were told to tighten up due to all the fights that had occurred recently. Stop the fights before they happen.

There were three games that ended in brawls near the end of the season. Six teams seasons were ended. Remember the ending of The Wanders movie. One was literally like that with fans and players going at it and the police finally using pepper spray. Another had players running across the field and jumping over the home team bench as the fight moved up against the stands around midfield after starting on the field at the 25 to 30 yard line. It was felt it was an escalation throughout the game that led to the brawls. Fighting and sportsmanship was part of presentation at the media day Wednesday at Carter Finley. Never had that been part of the team briefings or speeches.

Part of the problem is talking trash and posturing. Part is dirty play. Some comes from social media posts. I expect more hard consequences moving forward for fighting. Would not surprise me to see coaches suspended if a team forfeits games or misses the playoffs due to breaking the rules.
Must be a East region problem

Must be a East region problem

One was in the far east. Two in the Charlotte area. There have been others but were contained fairly quickly. The only conference champion seed to ever be removed from the playoffs for fighting was from west of Hickory.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
I hate it for the young man. Sounds like he was a good kid and a credit to his team. The rules are there for everyone though, not just the "bad" kids. I'm sure that's a tough call, but if you kicked a guy, you kicked him. I'm sure his teammates will be extra motivated to win it for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT