ADVERTISEMENT

Your NCHSAA at its finest

MHS-88

Sep 27, 2010
I called to get clarification on the appeal process. Do they have a committee or does the entire board vote on an appeal. Well guys it looks like there is really no appeal process with the nchsaa. They take the appeal and FORWARD it to the HEAD OFFICIAL of the game that the ejection/DQ occured in and they decide. We all know why there is never an appeal overturned now. No official is ever going to change his or her call. What exactly does the nchsaa do other than pass the buck on to someone else. Just unbelievable is all i can say. Thought i would share this bit of info so everyone knows.

I called to get clarification on the appeal process. Do they have a committee or does the entire board vote on an appeal. Well guys it looks like there is really no appeal process with the nchsaa. They take the appeal and FORWARD it to the HEAD OFFICIAL of the game that the ejection/DQ occured in and they decide. We all know why there is never an appeal overturned now. No official is ever going to change his or her call. What exactly does the nchsaa do other than pass the buck on to someone else. Just unbelievable is all i can say. Thought i would share this bit of info so everyone knows.

That is not entirely correct. They may ask the official what happened, but final decision lies with NCHSAA. Without clear video in contrary to call on field they are not going to overturn the ejection.

Reactions: Untothesehills
That is not entirely correct. They may ask the official what happened, but final decision lies with NCHSAA. Without clear video in contrary to call on field they are not going to overturn the ejection.

I was told by this person in the nchsaa office ( he was well aware of the situation and had viewed the video) that the nchsaa does not make a ruling on the appeal and the head official has the final say. This is exactly what he told me. I asked twice to make sure i understood him. I asked him if they had a committee or does the entire board vote on the appeal. This is when he told me they simply forward the appeal to the head official of the game that the ejection occured in and that official makes the call, not the nchsaa. So accoding to him, in his own explanation, the nchsaa does not have the final say.

Last edited:
I don't recall his name. I do recall him saying he was 63 and had an incident when he played baseball in high school. He said he elbowed the catcher and had gotten thrown out of the game. I talked to 2 different people before finally being directed to him. After sending emails to 6 different board members, including the president, and the reply was crickets, i decided to call the nchsaa headquarters.

Last edited:
I don't recall his name. I do recall him saying he was 63 and had an incident when he played baseball in high school. He said he elbowed the catcher and had gotten thrown out of the game. I talked to 2 different people before finally being directed to him.

Not trying to insult you, you are a long time good poster, but are you a head coach, AD or administrator at the the school? They all would know exactly who to talk to. And they would most likely got another answer.

No im not. I have no reason to be dishonest about what was said. He said he watched the video because it was a big deal before sending the appeal to the official. This leads me to believe this person was in charge of suspension/ejections. I was redirected twice before speaking with him. I just simply wanted clarification on the appeals process. Wasnt calling them to raise the roof or argue. Just sharing what was said.

No im not. I have no reason to be dishonest about what was said. He said he watched the video because it was a big deal before sending the appeal to the official. This leads me to believe this person was in charge of suspension/ejections. I was redirected twice before speaking with him. I just simply wanted clarification on the appeals process. Wasnt calling them to raise the roof or argue. Just sharing what was said.

Was not implying you were dishonest in no way. I just don’t think they are going to share a lot of info with someone that is not in administration. And I also said that it is not entirely correct in your first comments. I know of plenty of ejections turn into DQ’s. And yes the calling official or the White hat might have been contacted for further clarification or discussion. But I promise you it was viewed and discussed by people in the NCHSAA.

If #32 were my son, I would seek an injunction from a Superior Court judge. The county attorney should handle it in the school's behalf.

I have said that all along to others in private conversation. I would have filed an injunction and let a judge decide

Reactions: Gps62
Was not implying you were dishonest in no way. I just don’t think they are going to share a lot of info with someone that is not in administration. And I also said that it is not entirely correct in your first comments. I know of plenty of ejections turn into DQ’s. And yes the calling official or the White hat might have been contacted for further clarification or discussion. But I promise you it was viewed and discussed by people in the NCHSAA.

I respect what your saying.

I have said that all along to others in private conversation. I would have filed an injunction and let a judge decide

I think I would let David Gentry handle it.

The injunction would have to be decided by Friday. If not the game would be postponed. If it goes in the against the referee’s decision I would expect the NCHSAA to appeal based on their bylaws.

Have seen parents bring an injunction before. North Gaston parent sued to get them back in the playoffs after forfeit. 3A playoffs held up a week. A couple of players did not get to play in the Shrine Bowl due to the extra week. School Admin and coaches pleaded with the parent not to go forward. Terry Sanford parents sued. They lost in court.

Do you really want the courts involved in the referee’s call on the field?

The injunction would have to be decided by Friday. If not the game would be postponed. If it goes in the against the referee’s decision I would expect the NCHSAA to appeal based on their bylaws.

Have seen parents bring an injunction before. North Gaston parent sued to get them back in the playoffs after forfeit. 3A playoffs held up a week. A couple of players did not get to play in the Shrine Bowl due to the extra week. School Admin and coaches pleaded with the parent not to go forward. Terry Sanford parents sued. They lost in court.

Not for this......no how, no way.

If #32 were my son, I would seek an injunction from a Superior Court judge. The county attorney should handle it in the school's behalf.
I agree. Thought the same thing. I believe something happened not to long ago in Andrews and the AD called and said we would get a Attorney and fight it and they changed their ruling. They don’t want legal action against them !!

This will be my last post on preps. Hope i havent offended anyone to much over the years. I started this thread so others would know their really is no appeals process. I took it upon myself to send emails and finally make the call to headquarters to get some type of explanation. I stand by my comments and yes i personally would take it to court. Its difficult some times not to get emotionally invested at times. Im a proud MHS alum and have thoroughly enjoyed posting over the years. For some reason this incident with Slade has took a toll on me. I have took it to heart and honestly believe its a huge injustice. I think stepping away is best for me personally. Thanks guys for all the fun over the years!

This will be my last post on preps. Hope i havent offended anyone to much over the years. I started this thread so others would know their really is no appeals process. I took it upon myself to send emails and finally make the call to headquarters to get some type of explanation. I stand by my comments and yes i personally would take it to court. Its difficult some times not to get emotionally invested at times. Im a proud MHS alum and have thoroughly enjoyed posting over the years. For some reason this incident with Slade has took a toll on me. I have took it to heart and honestly believe its a huge injustice. I think stepping away is best for me personally. Thanks guys for all the fun over the years!
Hope you reconsider MHS88, maybe you'll feel differently come start of next season. If not I've enjoyed talking football with you on here over the years.

And I totally understand where you're coming from about Slade, it upset all of us. The whole thing has really sucked a lot of the joy out of seeing Murphy playing in a state title game for me personally.

Reactions: mhs95
Hope you reconsider MHS88, maybe you'll feel differently come start of next season. If not I've enjoyed talking football with you on here over the years.

And I totally understand where you're coming from about Slade, it upset all of us. The whole thing has really sucked a lot of the joy out of seeing Murphy playing in a state title game for me personally.
Well for me, if I was a player, at this moment I would take it to the game with me, I would not play just my school or for myself I would play for my teammate, so let's go bulldogs and win this for your teammate,. Win it for yourself, .

How many advantages does murphy want to play a team that has never been to the ship, get real this is a cakewalk to the title.

Reactions: Fargo2017
See that's your problem. Everything with you is always about Murphy and advantages. Maybe we're upset that a kid that has poured his heart and soul in to this program since he was old enough to play peewees is having his last state championship appearance stripped from him by an overzealous referee.

Last edited:
How many advantages does murphy want to play a team that has never been to the ship, get real this is a cakewalk to the title.

Clueless, it’s not about the game 20. It’s about this kid. We aren’t worried about our team we are worried about how this will effect a young man who has worked his tail end off to get there. Imagine if it were you, or your kid like Greygod said.

Clueless, it’s not about the game 20. It’s about this kid. We aren’t worried about our team we are worried about how this will effect a young man who has worked his tail end off to get there. Imagine if it were you, or your kid like Greygod said.
I truly hate it for the kid, but the bigger lesson in life is your actions have consequences
The other choice is mom and dad, the coaching staff and ncpreps making excuses for you because in today's world everybody is supposed to win a trophy

Last edited:
See that's your problem. Everything with you is always about Murphy and advantages. Maybe we're upset that a kid that has poured his heart and soul in to this program since he was old enough to play peewees is having his last state championship appearance stripped from him by an overzealous referee.
I hate that the kid isn’t getting to play but actions do have consequences. It doesn’t matter if a kid was twisting his ankle or not, kicking a player is the same as throwing a punch not matter what. You can say what you want, by film I have seen you can’t even tell anything with so many players there. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, just depends on who you pull for. No matter what Murphy will win state handily.

Murphy fans still whining. You get cakewalk to a title and that's not good enough
How do you know this game will be a cake walk? As I have said numerous times NOBODY knows how good Eastern teams are or are not. This team could win the 2A title for all we know. Hell I doubt that 3/4 of the posters on this very forum even knows where Pamlico is to begin with let alone how good their football/sports teams are. Murphy has their work cut out for them in ANY title game at full strength. Take one of their best players out of the equation plus whatever other injuries I heard they are dealing with and the hill gets steeper. Sorry for the kid's tough break in his last most important game, but there probably will be more of them somewhere down the road with some college team.

If it were my son, yes.

There is an appeals process. Ejections have been overturned in both football and baseball per coaches I know. One had no film of the baseball incident.

Fighting is the red phone topic in high school sports right now. It had been made clear weeks ago that fighting or what constituted one would not be accepted. Fights turned into all out brawls at a couple of games later in the season. It was discussed a lot at the recent board of directors meeting and was mentioned in several speeches at the media day and team info sessions.

Coach Gentry was not in Raleigh at the media day so the question was not asked of him. Not sure if the folks telling Murphy were.

As soon as you post the ones that prove it did happen.

Point is, they can tell from the pics his ankle is being grabbed. He didn’t just “kick” the Robbinsville kid for the hell of it. Mr. Head official had a chance to make it right and doubled down instead. He’s a joke.
Point really is that the official went by the NCHSAA ejection rule on punching/kicking....your the one on here letting on like there are pics and videos that clear the player...and calling the officials out.... post them!!!

It is sad that this young man will be unable to compete Saturday. Here is my take on the situation. Was the Robbinsville player kicked? If so the ejection should stand. The rules of football do not allow for justified punches or kicks. This is one of the few areas that refs are not required to use their judgement. Was the retaliation justified? In my mind? Yes. Allowable? No. Just my opinion.

Reactions: MRC3
67719551.jpg

If you read the rule book, kicking and punching are automatic ejections. This is just one of those situations where it is unfortunate.
If Robb player turned his ankle, that is just plain wrong. To say that 32 shouldn't have kicked the player is difficult because none of us know how we would have reacted in that situation.
Rules, however, are in place and the rule book is clear on kicking and punching. It does hurt me to see a Sr have to sit his last game because of something like this, especially one whom I feel has poured a great deal of time and effort into the Bulldog Football Program. But perhaps this will be a life lesson for that young man and he does have a great opportunity to be a huge supporter of his team on Saturday!

Go Dogs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT