ADVERTISEMENT

Your most intriguing first round matchup??

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Which games do you think are the most interesting or could provide an upset? To me, the 2AA matchup between 8 Washington(7-4) and 9 Northside-Jax (4-7) is interesting. Looks like a cakewalk for Washington, but Northside is actually 8-3 on the field. Ineligable player caused some forfeits. Could see a upset there record wise. Also in the big bracket, 10-1 Greene Central's reward for an awesome season is a 9-2 first round opponent. Ouch. And in 2A, I will say that our own is interesting. SWE may be 10-1with a 15 point victory over our opponent three weeks ago, but they (Farmville Central, 5-6) led us 20-7 at the half, with their rb having over 200 yards in the first half. They put it on us. This is NOT a gimme for us. What games are you guys interested in?

Holmes v. Ayden Grifton is interesting because this is the third year in a row the teams have met in the playofs, the coaching staffs are close to one another and theoretically the 8 v. 9 match up should be the most competitive.

In the west 2AA I like East Burke, and Newton-Conver having upset wins but going no further.

Anybody wanna participate? 200 viewers, but only three other people see potential upsets or interesting matchups?

That will be a good match. When we played WC, last week, their quarterback was out. Hopefully he is healthy, now. Seems like somebody said the Huskies like to pass.

Washington and Northside will be a war. Northside had to forfeit some games so their record is deceiving and Washington has lost to some really good teams as well. Both are threats to make a run in the 2AA east. Do not overlook these 2 teams.

North Rowan vs carver sounds pretty interesting

Carver and North Rowan does sound like a good one...Lincolnton has Lexington. This has the potential of a good game. To my knowledge, the last time we played the Yellow Jackets they beat us 33 to 12. It was 1967, in Lexington. Maybe we can use that for motivation, but probably not. I doubt if anyone on the coaching staff had been born, then.

Last edited:
It's a shame that they have to play each other in the first rd.

Any conference rematch in round 1 can be interesting.

HP Andrews opens up with a Randleman team that is much better than their record indicates. Andrews won the first matchup 34-7 during the regular season. This will be a tough opening game for the 1 seed in the east as Randleman has some players at the skill positions, a QB that is one of the best in the area, and arguably one of the best staffs in the area who always seem to put their kids in position for success.

South Columbus/Red Springs 1st round Conference Rematch, plus the winner has a likely 2nd round Conference Rematch with Fairmont. I hate it when conference foes get bunched up like this and pretty much eliminate each other. Would have preferred to see these three teams spread out in the brackets to see how much noise they could make. As it stands there is only 1 of the 3 that can make it to the 3rd round at best...........

Reactions: dirty stallion
How many conference rematches are there in the first round? Those should be avoided by NCHSAA -- takes away from playoff atmosphere IMO.

Does anyone know anything about Franklinton? I feel like we're a bit over seeded, 'winning' our conference on a draw... we'll probably have our hands full.

If QB Titus Tucker is healthy I like West Caldwell over a high seeded Ashe County. West Caldwell finished fourth in a tough SD7 conference.

2A 7/10 match-up between East Bladen and Graham. Two contrasting offensive styles. Not sure if either team has seen much of those type offenses. Defensive edge goes to EB with the offense to Graham. Special teams are about even but EB has been here before and has a lot of experienced players. This should be a close one.

Does anyone know anything about Franklinton? I feel like we're a bit over seeded, 'winning' our conference on a draw... we'll probably have our hands full.

They have a do-it-all tailback....stop him and they shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to say the oldest rat in the barn, Tom Brown, fires up his East Burke team for a win at Forrest Hills. It would be his 299th win as a head coach.

PG over MT. Heritage. Mt. Heritage has a QB that gets 90% of offense as a sophomore. PG defense is probably best they have seen. Stop Qb and stop their offense. PG has had success with stopping good QB's like Randleman and Jordan Mathews. PG goes to Burnsville and shocks the world. 22-16.

Carver and North Rowan does sound like a good one...Lincolnton has Lexington. This has the potential of a good game. To my knowledge, the last time we played the Yellow Jackets they beat us 33 to 12. It was 1967, in Lexington. Maybe we can use that for motivation, but probably not. I doubt if anyone on the coaching staff had been born, then.

Serves you right....LOL, having some fun with you.

How many conference rematches are there in the first round? Those should be avoided by NCHSAA -- takes away from playoff atmosphere IMO.
Four NCC teams in the same side of the Bracket at #4 Northeastern,#5 Hertford County,#8 Edenton -Holmes,#13 First Flight. Best part of playoffs is playing schools outside the conference.

Reactions: kenlopo
Edenton and Ayden third year they have met and 1-1. Should be a great game......winner gets to play kinston. Loser goes home. A lot on the line for both teams.... Can't wait for Friday night.....

Edenton and Ayden third year they have met and 1-1. Should be a great game......winner gets to play kinston. Loser goes home. A lot on the line for both teams.... Can't wait for Friday night.....

So poor olé West Bladen shouldn't even waste the gas going since you have Kinston in the 2nd round already? I think Kinston will advance, but that's why they play the game first.

Reactions: kenlopo
Serves you right....LOL, having some fun with you.

You and OC and me are the only ones around that remember it. They have uniforms similar to the Florida Gators, now. I'm thinking they used to look like the Dallas Cowboys, back then. I saw our guys practicing, a while ago, getting ready for the Jackets to come over.

One thread said Maiden would play North Surry out at Bandys but I don't know if that's official. I was in Maiden, earlier, today. I rode by and looked at their field. It looked like a lot of the damage is between the hash marks from about the thirty on the south side to the end zone on the north side. I suppose there has been so much rain, lately. Our field looked pretty good, today, and we're supposed to have some dry conditions, for a change.

Shawn anything can happen on Friday night and west bladen has proved that. Last spring west bladen was high seed in baseball and ayden grifton was low seed. West bladen won the game. So you never know. That's why you play the game. If ayden can win against Edenton I am sure they would love a rematch with kinston or west bladen.... It's all or nothing now and we play all season just to get in this spot. So may the best team win

Shawn anything can happen on Friday night and west bladen has proved that. Last spring west bladen was high seed in baseball and ayden grifton was low seed. West bladen won the game. So you never know. That's why you play the game. If ayden can win against Edenton I am sure they would love a rematch with kinston or west bladen.... It's all or nothing now and we play all season just to get in this spot. So may the best team win

Touche'

You and OC and me are the only ones around that remember it. They have uniforms similar to the Florida Gators, now. I'm thinking they used to look like the Dallas Cowboys, back then. I saw our guys practicing, a while ago, getting ready for the Jackets to come over.

One thread said Maiden would play North Surry out at Bandys but I don't know if that's official. I was in Maiden, earlier, today. I rode by and looked at their field. It looked like a lot of the damage is between the hash marks from about the thirty on the south side to the end zone on the north side. I suppose there has been so much rain, lately. Our field looked pretty good, today, and we're supposed to have some dry conditions, for a change.

The North Surry at Maiden game has been moved to Bandys High due to the poor field conditions at Maiden High.

PG over MT. Heritage. Mt. Heritage has a QB that gets 90% of offense as a sophomore. PG defense is probably best they have seen. Stop Qb and stop their offense. PG has had success with stopping good QB's like Randleman and Jordan Mathews. PG goes to Burnsville and shocks the world. 22-16.

Hopefully, PG can leave Yancey County with a W this time. The last two trips up there weren't too pleasant.

It's all about the Benjamin people look at the Northeastern Coastal Conference four teams could be playing each other in the first three round all money games for the conference and the NCHSAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT