ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite rival, and why?

seadog28

Oct 4, 2004
Mine is the Crest Chargers. I haven't met a Crest fan that I didn't like. So much so, that I started worrying that we might be kin. After finding my high school and college diplomas, SAT score and double signed birth certificate, I felt much better.

Those loveable losers will give you everything they have on a football field. If they don't have enough, they import from Lawndale. If that doesn't work, they expand to surrounding counties. If that doesn't work, they scour all states carrying Ancestor.com genetic test kits and a Crest High matriculation application! Tell me that's not a competitive spirit!

For me, I hope they win them all except one! Those muck raking, shine drinking, finger counting, hand-me-down wearing, cousin chasing, tobacco drooling misfits deserve some happiness!

Is it football season yet?

Being from Haywood Co., is any explanation necessary?

We did develop quite the rivalry with Reynolds back in the 80's when Scott Conner arrived and jump started a rather moribund program to that point. When they were the only two 4A teams in the West, the game had major implications on the playoffs. I think the overall record with them now is even. Tuscola last beat them in 2008 and when Reynolds wins, the scores tend to be lopsided.

Brevard was always a big game and was quite the nemesis in the late 70's-mid 80's. This will be the first ever season that Tuscola and Brevard have not played since Haywood Co. Schools consolidated.

Sylva-Webster developed into the season opener and except for a 3 year spell from '69-71, Tuscola has played Sylva-Webster/Smoky Mtn. ever since. In maybe the 3 overall greatest years of Mountaineer football, (72-73-74),
S-W was 2-0-1 vs Tuscola.

Reactions: seadog28
Country Day, South Meck and Ardrey Kell. I love crushing those teams year in and year out. Glad that we can assert who rules South Charlotte every single year with all 3 teams still on our schedule.

I love that we are everyone's most hated rival. And just so all the Shelby and South Point fans no WE HATE YOU TO!! See you in a few weeks Suckers!!

I love that we are everyone's most hated rival. And just so all the Shelby and South Point fans no WE HATE YOU TO!! See you in a few weeks Suckers!!
Everyone? Anyway mine is Maiden and always crushing their hopes when they thought they had a chance.

Well, the obvious answer for any crest fan should be Shelby...followed by South point...back in the early 2000's burns and crest was pretty big too. Me personally, I've always enjoyed Ashbrook. I don't know what it is about the greenwave, but crest has had a lot of nail biters with that team.

Well, the obvious answer for any crest fan should be Shelby...followed by South point...back in the early 2000's burns and crest was pretty big too. Me personally, I've always enjoyed Ashbrook. I don't know what it is about the greenwave, but crest has had a lot of nail biters with that team.

Ashbrook could break out big time this year. Two great SP coaches in charge. Coach Devine has resurfaced wearing green!

West Rowan VS Davie Battle of the Yadkin River--Always a dog fight except of course last year when we got "spanked"!

Shelby. Somehow and some way I'd love for them to be in the same classification for the playoffs. Beating them to win a conference crown was nice. The thought of actually ending their season is far sweeter.

Being from Haywood Co., is any explanation necessary?

I'm sad, but not too surprised, to see Franklin not on your list. I know we aren't on everybody's list of people to play (nobody wanted to come to Franklin when we sucked and nobody wants to come to Franklin now), but we have played against Tuscola every year since 1995. We haven't always been there from a competition standpoint, but now each school generally gives the other a good game and a good gate. It bummed me out severely to see us not on each other's schedule this year.

Franklin is supposed to have a rivalry with Smoky, but it hasn't been real close here lately. Hopefully they pick it up some. Pisgah is turning into a bit of a rivalry, and my personal favorite, with the coaches being personally familiar with each other and our games being competitive.

I'm glad we get to maintain our games with Murphy and Swain. Once again, good games and good gates, with plenty of history behind the matchups.

I'm sad, but not too surprised, to see Franklin not on your list. I know we aren't on everybody's list of people to play (nobody wanted to come to Franklin when we sucked and nobody wants to come to Franklin now), but we have played against Tuscola every year since 1995. We haven't always been there from a competition standpoint, but now each school generally gives the other a good game and a good gate. It bummed me out severely to see us not on each other's schedule this year.

Franklin is supposed to have a rivalry with Smoky, but it hasn't been real close here lately. Hopefully they pick it up some. Pisgah is turning into a bit of a rivalry, and my personal favorite, with the coaches being personally familiar with each other and our games being competitive.

I'm glad we get to maintain our games with Murphy and Swain. Once again, good games and good gates, with plenty of history behind the matchups.
I agree. From the Tuscola standpoint, when they were moved into whatever the MAC now is, hard decisions had to be made. Franklin was a tough give up, and Brevard as well. Some wonderful games with Brevard and Franklin over the decades. They will be missed, although I think THS does have a scrimmage with Franklin at least.

I agree. From the Tuscola standpoint, when they were moved into whatever the MAC now is, hard decisions had to be made. Franklin was a tough give up, and Brevard as well. Some wonderful games with Brevard and Franklin over the decades. They will be missed, although I think THS does have a scrimmage with Franklin at least.
When you get placed in a 9 team conference, your football scheduling options are limited. Not the NCHSAA's finest effort.

We obviously have to play Pisgah. That leaves two non-cons left. I was all for giving Smoky the boot myself.
While Swain is 2A, the games were very competitive until last season and they are a good draw attendance wise and I think there is mutual respect between the two schools and staffs. Brevard made their bed.

Frankly, Franklin has dominated us in recent years. I think last season was the first win in sevens seasons (maybe?). To me, that isn't a rivalry,

We will have to ride this 4 year cycle out and see if some people in Chapel Hill come back to their senses.

When you get placed in a 9 team conference, your football scheduling options are limited. Not the NCHSAA's finest effort.

We obviously have to play Pisgah. That leaves two non-cons left. I was all for giving Smoky the boot myself.
While Swain is 2A, the games were very competitive until last season and they are a good draw attendance wise and I think there is mutual respect between the two schools and staffs. Brevard made their bed.

Frankly, Franklin has dominated us in recent years. I think last season was the first win in sevens seasons (maybe?). To me, that isn't a rivalry,

We will have to ride this 4 year cycle out and see if some people in Chapel Hill come back to their senses.
Was a dumb move,Tuscola ,West and North could have stayed in the same conference as before .We would have had a split conference 2A and 3A.Not only did it hurt Tuscola it also made it difficult for Pisgah to get 11 games.We will now be going to Tennessee. Swain is 1A.

Just realized Crest has a bye week before they play Shelby...not that Crest is the favorites to win this year, but personally I've always thought the bye week did more damage in one situation...late in the season, and right before a big game. While this game/rivalry will be early in the season it's still consider a huge game...I just believe the bye week gets the boys out of sync and gets them lazy. JMHO

For me at West Craven it would simply be Havelock. Been a great rivalry over the years with Clay Jordan and Wilbur Sasser. Some of the kids get amped up for New Bern but I never considered them a rivalry as the deck is stacked against us playing them when they have twice the kid's we do. Most years we play them tight for a half but our kids gas in the 2nd half playing both ways. When we do win it's been really good years for us and bad ones for them. The past few years we have tried not to play kids both ways. Surprisingly with our numbers being what they have been we have done well doing that. But for me Havelock has been our rival. It will feel odd playing them to start the season in a non conf game. I don't even know who to consider our rival now in the 2A conf. Washington I guess. Don't feel the same. Can we have a playoff tempo game to start the season??? They better playing Havelock.

Great video! I always like seeing inferior programs deciding who will be the first to lose to the Mighty Red Raiders!

Smashmouth, much respect for you, but you know that I'm right. SP owns the winner or loser of this game. I't doesn't really matter to us!
72 Champion please come on here and post the series record between the Golden Lions and the rednecks from Belmont.For some reason he keeps forgetting.

72 Champion please come on here and post the series record between the Golden Lions and the rednecks from Belmont.For some reason he keeps forgetting.

It would be my pleasure...

(1951) Belmont (South Point) (39-16-0)

A lot of people say..."you can't live in the past" so how about we live in last year. 24-0. The first time SP has been shut out since my Junior year....1997....the year after y'all decided to drop us from your schedule because we had beaten you the previous 4 years in a row.

Ashbrook could break out big time this year. Two great SP coaches in charge. Coach Devine has resurfaced wearing green!

Seadog, I honestly can't tell if you were joking or not about the Devine thing, but either way, you really think this Red Raider coach can turn the Greenwave into a winning program? You think he'll make them run the triple option? Spread? In all seriousness, is the Greenwave fixing to turn into a monster program?

Just realized Crest has a bye week before they play Shelby...not that Crest is the favorites to win this year, but personally I've always thought the bye week did more damage in one situation...late in the season, and right before a big game. While this game/rivalry will be early in the season it's still consider a huge game...I just believe the bye week gets the boys out of sync and gets them lazy. JMHO

We do too, bye in Week 2 and then play Shelby in Week 3. We have for the previous 4 years too. Bye in Week 8, Shelby in Week 9. It didn't matter at all in 14 or 15 for obvious reasons but I think it may have hurt us in 13. We did come back to beat them in 13 but got off to a slow start. It didn't hurt us quite as bad last year. That opening touchdown that got called back really hurt us. I really detest having a bye in Week 2. The downside of an 8 team league. I'd rather have it in Week 1 honestly because you would have another week to prepare for the season. We didn't used to have bye weeks at all. The jamboree once served as the de facto bye week for the county teams while many teams played regular season games.

To answer the question...Shelby is my favorite rival, they are much more friendly of a rival to me than they were but Crest is the biggest and most hated for obvious reasons. They have had our number for like a quarter century.

Last edited:
It would be my pleasure...

(1951) Belmont (South Point) (39-16-0)

A lot of people say..."you can't live in the past" so how about we live in last year. 24-0. The first time SP has been shut out since my Junior year....1997....the year after y'all decided to drop us from your schedule because we had beaten you the previous 4 years in a row.

Okay, Urkel. Congrats on the past! We'll talk later about how much that's gonna help you this year.

Seadog, I honestly can't tell if you were joking or not about the Devine thing, but either way, you really think this Red Raider coach can turn the Greenwave into a winning program? You think he'll make them run the triple option? Spread? In all seriousness, is the Greenwave fixing to turn into a monster program?

It could most definitely happen. Coach Andrews and Coach Devine are outstanding coaches. We've all wondered about how good they could be with the right coaching staff.

Don't know if they'll go greenbone or not. I wouldn't. I'd spread it out and let those athletes roll. You can still run alot of effective option out of shotgun -spread.

It will all depend on the kids buying in. Those two coaches are disciplinarians. We'll see.

Sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on an organization that thinks NC ends in Hickory, to come back to their senses., without a powerful negative incentive to do so if they dont.

Not only did it hurt Tuscola it also made it difficult for Pisgah to get 11 games.We will now be going to Tennessee.

Yeah I noticed that, and have been watching some of the videos of Greeneville TN. That team is no joke. I saw videos of them playing Fulton and crushing them. Then played Alcoa and Maryville, both yearly powerhouses in TN to the very end. Several years worth of Greene Co videos on Youtube. If you havent seen them you might check them out. PHS has their work cut out for that particular Friday.

Crest easily for me. They think that they are the Green Bay Packers, but resemble the Bad New Bears. Fans show what a 3rd grade education can do. We have been laughing at them for years while beating them while 3A. Step down to 2A and make it even more embarrassing for them.

Crest easily for me. They think that they are the Green Bay Packers, but resemble the Bad New Bears. Fans show what a 3rd grade education can do. We have been laughing at them for years while beating them while 3A. Step down to 2A and make it even more embarrassing for them.

And yet for some strange reason...we have more rings? Weird man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT