ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite offense

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
What would be your favorite offense that you would use or like to see a team have? And why?

I would love to see someone come out and run the single-wing again. When it is run as a true offensive system, it is powerful and effective. Plus, so few people nowadays are familiar with it, I think if someone came out and developed the system from youth leagues up and ran it right, it would be difficult to defend. I grew up watching teams coached by the late Harvey Brooks, who was a master of the SW.

I'll admit it...I'm a dinosaur.

Wing T and Spread Wing T. I love it because we can control the clock but also have expanded our passing game to more than Waggle. Averaged over 37ppg the past two seasons. We also have put power read and triple option into the spread T package.

I would love to see someone come out and run the single-wing again. When it is run as a true offensive system, it is powerful and effective. Plus, so few people nowadays are familiar with it, I think if someone came out and developed the system from youth leagues up and ran it right, it would be difficult to defend. I grew up watching teams coached by the late Harvey Brooks, who was a master of the SW.

I'll admit it...I'm a dinosaur.

A lot of the spread that is used today is based on Single Wing Philosophies. But a true SingleWing is a thing of beauty.

I played against, I think, four single wing teams in 1968 when I played at Reidsville. (Someone on here may correct me on that). It was a run oriented offense then but I'm sure it could be made into something more than that today. Damn, it was hard to stop. It would be really great to see it brought back.

I can appreciate an offense run well. The spread it out passing offense is a treat when a good Qb is throwing. The triple option with a strong FB and a Qb capable of making the reads is tough to pickup but scores and moves the ball. The Wing T with a stable of backs is a little more predictable but those guys just carve a team up.

When clicking and run cleanly I think my favorite to see is the Triple Option. One that I’m not the biggest fan of is the throw every down teams. Those games just drag on and I like to see a little attempt at a run game.

Back during Mike Carter days with Mooresville he did a good job using the triple option play.

Last edited:
CatholicCougs14, do you know how long Catholic has being running the Wing T. I watch them play against Mooresville one time. They seem to do a good job with the offense.
Oddo brought it in when he was hired 1972. Catholic's version is different from say the Delaware Wing T. Catholic's base offense is actually straight T and has evolved since then. Catholic ran a lot of their base straight when Hood was the running back to keep defenses from keying on one side. It helps when you have former players coaching it at the middle school.

I never understood why flexbone coaches tend to be against passing the ball. The offense was designed with run and shoot principles. I would think that being more balanced would make the offense tougher to stop.

Agreed, but in high school, if the boys in the trenches on the O line are big and fast and smart, your QB won't break his wrist for for single game I would assume.

I never understood why flexbone coaches tend to be against passing the ball. The offense was designed with run and shoot principles. I would think that being more balanced would make the offense tougher to stop.
I think the biggest issue is practice time. Passing and running the veer both take a lot of reps in practice so one or the other has to be simplified to accommodate both.

Army's 0630 formation. Then the C130 rolling down the striiip, 60 paratroopers on a one way triiip.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT