ADVERTISEMENT

Younger coaches becoming a trend in HS now

All-out_34

Feb 5, 2012
Salisbury, NC
I have noticed a trend in HS athletics here in NC over the years. That is a growing number of head coaches being between 19-22 years old. I have heard of at least 3 schools hiring head coaches, all under 21 years old. Most recently Blue Ridge promoted JV coach Adam Bullard to be the new mens basketball coach, and he is only 20 years old. I am not knocking young coaches at all, but why is this becoming the new trend now? Are some of these kids that don't even have degrees with hiring so young?

I believe the game is changing and usually what you find when anyone coachs at the HS level is someone that has been infected with a passion for the game. Adam Bullard is one of the young men that found a love for the game very early. He played on Coach Smith's team that finished 3rd in the conference behind the eventual North Rowan State Champions and the 4 round Albemarle Bulldogs.

Adam is young in age only. He is a voracious reader, and excellent clinician. This kid is doing it the right way and Blue Ridge or anyone else for that matter would be lucky to have him. Mark my words, this kid will be coaching at the collegiate level by 25. He is a rising Junior at Western Carolina where he has already assisted the women's program.

Again, not sure I would call a few instances a "trend" but I do recognize the face of coaching is changing and I think for the better. After all if you had a good coach then you should be inspired to follow in the proverbial
foot steps!

I've no doubt that some of the younger coaches are deserving of the job, but seeing college aged coaches running these programs has much more to do with tightened budgets within athletic departments than anything.

Some schools have been doing it for years with smaller sports like lacrosse, but now you're seeing it start to float over into bigger sports. Sign of the times I suppose.

I've no doubt that some of the younger coaches are deserving of the job, but seeing college aged coaches running these programs has much more to do with tightened budgets within athletic departments than anything.

Some schools have been doing it for years with smaller sports like lacrosse, but now you're seeing it start to float over into bigger sports. Sign of the times I suppose.
I have been coaching and playing basketball for a long long time and I am happy to hear that administrators are hiring young coaches. I was 21 years old when I took my first job - which was a head coaching job. Great that young coaches are being named head coach. They know the game today as it has changed greatly since I first started.

I met Bullard this pass weekend at the KTS coaching clinic before the regular coaching clinic and he seemed like a very good guy. I also am a younger coach although an assistant but I can defintely see him having the passion and will to be good in this business.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT