ADVERTISEMENT

You Are Taking it Personal

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
Sportsnut it was not right because you were or are a Ref. to lock that thread and let personal attacks on us posters go ! As a 10-year news photographer, I have been on the sidelines 10 feet or less from a bad call that was not close to being right. I am not saying they are throwing games or just after attention but I saw way too many bad calls. There were times I was beside the sports reported and we discussed it but and saw the same thing and never was it in the paper or talked to anyone else on my part and I don't think the reporter did either. There are bad Refs out there and that was a fair thread as long as it is made clear that there is a bad apple in every basket .

Reactions: MRC3
Can you personally say that there are not Refs that like to get some attention their selves ? I can say I have personally seen it up close a from only a few and It always seemed to be the same few over that 10 years and certain schools were the worse.

I never said there wasn’t bad refs, I have kicked many a call. Ask Bareman I’m sure he has seen me kick a few. I said I do not believe any official goes to a game to cheat and throw a game.

Last edited:
Can you personally say that there are not Refs that like to get some attention their selves ? I can say I have personally seen it up close a from only a few and It always seemed to be the same few over that 10 years and certain schools were the worse.
One particular occasion I was standing next to the yardstick marker guys for the first down and a terrible call was made and the two guys were laughing and talking at the bad call not being close and they were from the other school. Like I said there were very few and you could count on it being from the same few bad apples. This has been 20 years ago and before and I have been to very few games in the last 10 years.

And yes, I am taking it personal. I do not like to be called or see other officials accused of cheating and throwing games.
We don't like personal attacks either and no one has called you out as a bad Ref. There is a rule against personal attacks on posters but bad calls by refs have gone on here as long as I can remember (2007) and nothing in the rules against it but it is a rule against repetitive attacks on posters.

Last edited:
We don't like personal attacks either and no one has called you out as a bad Ref. There is a rule against personal attacks on posters but bad calls by refs have gone on here as long as I can remember (2007) and nothing in the rules against it but it is a rule against repetitive attacks on posters.
Refs are not perfect and will never be perfect and to even think that would ridiculous. With that being said there are officials that should never step foot on a court or field just the same as their are coaches that have no business doing the same.

My encouragement is to be respectful of both disagree with the understanding that 9 out of 10 times the ref is doing the best job he/she can.

To be fair to survivor 1110 just lock this thread also. I saw an injustice in that thread being locked and wanted to post my opinion because he was only asking for fairness and never mentioned a conference, game or Ref like posters get personal attacks by name. If you think it was right to lock survivor 1110's Thread ( I don't ) then to be fair to survivor 1110 LOCK this one also. My opinion if you had waited then someone would have given you a legitimate reason to lock it. I think you may have been or are a good ref. and went by the rules on the field .

Reactions: KW23
FNL, you didn’t read why I closed it, you just read what you wanted to read. I am not allowing him to accuse officials of cheating and throwing games.

If he feels so strong that this is happening he just address it with admistration and possibly local police.

Refs are not perfect and will never be perfect and to even think that would ridiculous. With that being said there are officials that should never step foot on a court or field just the same as their are coaches that have no business doing the same.

My encouragement is to be respectful of both disagree with the understanding that 9 out of 10 times the ref is doing the best job he/she can.

Bulldog nation, I agree there are officials that should not be on field or court. I have personally worked with them. Shoot I have probably been accused of being one. We had first year officials working Varsity football this year, because of the dire shortage of officials. I am no newbie, when I came along it was at least 2-3 years before you even sniffed the field.

I know an official that worked both JV games and both Varsity games in basketball this past Friday night. That is how short we are on officials.

To be fair to survivor 1110 just lock this thread also. I saw an injustice in that thread being locked and wanted to post my opinion because he was only asking for fairness and never mentioned a conference, game or Ref like posters get personal attacks by name. If you think it was right to lock survivor 1110's Thread ( I don't ) then to be fair to survivor 1110 LOCK this one also. My opinion if you had waited then someone would have given you a legitimate reason to lock it. I think you may have been or are a good ref. and went by the rules on the field .

Remedial reading 101...a good place to start...

FNL, you didn’t read why I closed it, you just read what you wanted to read. I am not allowing him to accuse officials of cheating and throwing games.

If he feels so strong that this is happening he just address it with admistration and possibly local police.
Unless some post were deleted on the locked thread I saw nothing bad enough to lock it. I have seen refs take over a game and influence the outcome and I have also seen them let the game get out of control by not taking over! We are all human and we let emotions take over! There is no need to police peoples opinions. This is a forum and that is what it is meant for. He or she didn’t name anyone or degrade kids. I just think as a moderator you should be impartial unless there are rules broken!

Last edited:

I understand your side but when you say Ref, are having to cover 4 games in a night then they can be worn out after maybe a long drive and having to cover too many games. They are human and can start to make mistakes and the crowd can start getting to them and make their concentration worse and then people start to maybe see it in many different ways and maybe calling it throwing a game which is overboard but fans are human also and see what they want to see at times. It is all part of what is happening in sports today all the way down to peewee league where parents are attacking Refs.and each other. I still say the thread got locked too soon and some may have defended your side or gave you a bigger reason to lock it. I was not going to enter the conversation and only was watching to see where it went before it got locked. You could not pay me enough to be a Ref. I remember a few games that after the game coaches and police ran off the field with the Refs.I can't imagine how it is today at some schools rivalry games or playoff games the way a few bad apple parents have got.

Look at the film of North Stokes vs. East Surry at North. Terrible call with about 20 seconds to go. Referee made a call he was not even close to and definitely not in hus area of coverage completely changed the game. Refrees were heard arguing in their locker room.

Unless some post were deleted on the locked thread I saw nothing bad enough to lock it. I have seen refs take over a game and influence the outcome and I have also seen them let the game get out of control by not taking over! We are all human and we let emotions take over! There is no need to police peoples opinions. This is a forum and that is what it is meant for. He or she didn’t name anyone or degrade kids. I just think as a moderator you should be impartial unless there are rules broken!
Amen

Avery at Hendersonville back in 2015 was worst I have ever seen. It was a football game. Refs totally lost control of game. Avery player got a concussion and no foul was called. Among other things. It happens I guess

officials are human. They have human prejudices like anyone else, even ones they dont think they have. All of us do.
I would say refs blatantly cheating for a team to win is very rare but i would think there are exceptions to every rule.
However, I do see officials who will get upset at a coach or team and call against them for a while. Or ralize the foul disparity and make calls to even it out. or make make up calls. These things do happen.
That being said, in every job things happen. We are all human. Coaches. fans and players also do things that are wrong.

But the idea that it is impossible for an official to be anything but impartial is flawed and intellectually dishonest.

officials are human. They have human prejudices like anyone else, even ones they dont think they have. All of us do.
I would say refs blatantly cheating for a team to win is very rare but i would think there are exceptions to every rule.
However, I do see officials who will get upset at a coach or team and call against them for a while. Or ralize the foul disparity and make calls to even it out. or make make up calls. These things do happen.
That being said, in every job things happen. We are all human. Coaches. fans and players also do things that are wrong.

But the idea that it is impossible for an official to be anything but impartial is flawed and intellectually dishonest.
Seen a documentary on espn that a former nba official Tim Donahue spent 15 months in federal prison. No comparison to high school. But their are few rotten apples in every bunch. An official should never be allowed to bet on games. But we don't know what goes on behind closed doors

Seen a documentary on espn that a former nba official Tim Donahue spent 15 months in federal prison. No comparison to high school. But their are few rotten apples in every bunch. An official should never be allowed to bet on games. But we don't know what goes on behind closed doors
The only way to keep fans from believing this is call games as fairly as possible. When an official makes a call 10 or more feet from the play. You start scratching your head cause you know they are abusing their whistle.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
The only way to keep fans from believing this is call games as fairly as possible. When an official makes a call 10 or more feet from the play. You start scratching your head cause you know they are abusing their whistle.
Seen the north stokes vs east Surry film. Yea that's ridiculous. Influenced outcome of game. I'm on your side on that call. Like I said let the players decide the outcome.

There are stores I heard in the 10 years of shooting photos for the paper that I would not dare post on here. Some verified and some not. Of course, that was between 1989 & 1998 and may or may not go on now. It was Taboo to talk about then and definitely now.

I have admitted that there are bad refs as far as calls go, but 99.9 percent of them are not in it for the money. Tin Donahue was, it was his job. There are plenty that have no business out there, ( I have even admitted that)problem is no young people wants to officiate. The number one reason why is abusive fans & coaches, second reason is pay. Not sure what your obsession is, that Refs actually cheat.

Reactions: STPalum
There are stores I heard in the 10 years of shooting photos for the paper that I would not dare post on here. Some verified and some not. Of course, that was between 1989 & 1998 and may or may not go on now. It was Taboo to talk about then and definitely now.
FNL, I have seen many proud photographers show me their trophy pictures. Can't wait to show us we missed one. And in turn I have seen just as many that show we got it right, right after we got an a$$ chewing from the coach. You probably showed me some, you just don't know it.

FNL, I wondered why you started, now you want to lock it.
I don't care if it is locked or not. As I said when I started it, if it got to the point it needed locking it should be locked or I was referring to the other not getting a chance to see where it went. I just thought you may have had enough after 29 posts. Keep it going as long as you want. I just think it is got boring now and you can only explain your position so many times. :)

Last edited:
I have admitted that there are bad refs as far as calls go, but 99.9 percent of them are not in it for the money. Tin Donahue was, it was his job. There are plenty that have no business out there, ( I have even admitted that)problem is no young people wants to officiate. The number one reason why is abusive fans & coaches, second reason is pay. Not sure what your obsession is, that Refs actually cheat.
No obsession turned on sports center there it was. Guy said watch north stokes east Surry film I did. The call should not have been made. But like td Friday night said the points have been made lets move on

Look at the film of North Stokes vs. East Surry at North. Terrible call with about 20 seconds to go. Referee made a call he was not even close to and definitely not in hus area of coverage completely changed the game. Refrees were heard arguing in their locker room.

Seen the north stokes vs east Surry film. Yea that's ridiculous. Influenced outcome of game. I'm on your side on that call. Like I said let the players decide the outcome.

Same can be said with the horrible officiating when the game was played at East. The officials had no idea what the difference was between a charge and a block call that night.

Three daughters yes I have officiated high school football for over 20 years and baseball for over 16 years.

Three daughters yes I have officiated high school football for over 20 years and baseball for over 16 years.

My question was to survivor....we all know that some officials are simply not good and that even good officials sometimes miss or make bad calls. In either case it doesn’t mean they are “throwing” games which is a whole lot more to alledge. We’ve all had bad calls go in our favor and against us....

Same can be said with the horrible officiating when the game was played at East. The officials had no idea what the difference was between a charge and a block call that night.
Agreed. That call at North Stokes was unfortunate for the Vikings...of course you can go back and look at the film from the first game at ES and see that there were easily 2 garbage fouls called on Boaz that limited his time. ES was coming back, cut the deficit to around 4-5pts, then a crap charge call where the defender wasn't set OR in position gave Boaz his 4th foul about mid-way through the 3rd qtr. It sent him to the bench and NS quickly lengthened the lead back out and never looked back. Did those 2 calls hamper the ES efforts that night - absolutely. Did it cost them the game - no. Refs are going to miss calls. They are human. Yes, some refs are better than others. Yes, an effort needs to be made to put better refs on higher impact games during the regular season and definitely during the playoffs. However I don't think many refs (if any) come with a predisposed notion of screwing over a particular team when they are calling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT