ADVERTISEMENT

You Are Really Going To Love This . 200 With 35 More Coming In 2020

In a 25 mile radius Gray Stone includes the home county, Stanly, and parts of Rowan, Cabarrus, Meck, Davidson, Randolph, Montgomery, Anson, and Union. Probably just very small areas of some of the counties. GSDS has ok athletic teams but is an academics first school. No one has ever pointed the finger at them as a sports shop.

Reactions: Swain97
We can talk about Charter versus public all we want to .But the only to change it is to vote.We know which party supports Charter school and which one don't.

Time to make Robbinsville a charter to prove a point lol.
You probably know that some of the towns around Charlotte have done exactly that. The Thomasville school system has four schools.....one primary, one elementary, one middle school and one high school. Some folks have suggested making the Thomasville system a charter system. It would provide them with the autonomy to do some creative things that they can’t do now.

You probably know that some of the towns around Charlotte have done exactly that. The Thomasville school system has four schools.....one primary, one elementary, one middle school and one high school. Some folks have suggested making the Thomasville system a charter system. It would provide them with the autonomy to do some creative things that they can’t do now.

Charters are seen as an option which this would then be the system. With that said, I expect it would get pushed through using the Legislature even if the charter office at DPI did not approve it.

WE may have to do that since they're is talk of a push to drop Tarboro down another classification to 1A next alinement

That would not be pushing them down. It would only happen if they fell within the numbers for a specific classification. A 10% 1A may include them. A 12.5% would include them. Many expect there numbers to continue to decline due to population decline and the alternative educational choices for high schoolers.

That would not be pushing them down. It would only happen if they fell within the numbers for a specific classification. A 10% 1A may include them. A 12.5% would include them. Many expect there numbers to continue to decline due to population decline and the alternative educational choices for high schoolers.
Robbinsville wouldn't care what Tarboro had if they could get a few players from Murphy a few from Swain and a few from Andrews. Now that would prove a point.

I'll volunteer to pick the ones up in Andrews on the way to R'ville if somebody can make the trip from Swain.

Robbinsville wouldn't care what Tarboro had if they could get a few players from Murphy a few from Swain and a few from Andrews. Now that would prove a point.

So where are the Tarboro players coming from? I expect almost all of them live right there in town. North Edgecomb lost in the 1A regional title game. That school is located about six miles from Tarboro HS. SW Edgecomb lost in the third round to state finalist, Northeastern. Pretty strong county for football.

You probably know that some of the towns around Charlotte have done exactly that.

Matthews and a couple of towns in the northern end of the county discussed it. Matthews really pushed to take over their schools and run them as a city system basically. Big issue was they did not like their district lines and where some students were being sent. Probably issues with budgets and other items. When Charlotte Meck Schools announced if that happened students in the "Matthews district" would not longer be allowed to take part in CMS programs such as the IB and Language immersion things went a bit silent. The whole thing is damn shambles.

So where are the Tarboro players coming from? I expect almost all of them live right there in town. North Edgecomb lost in the 1A regional title game. That school is located about six miles from Tarboro HS. SW Edgecomb lost in the third round to state finalist, Northeastern. Pretty strong county for football.
From a district with a population of over 50,000.

Matthews and a couple of towns in the northern end of the county discussed it. Matthews really pushed to take over their schools and run them as a city system basically. Big issue was they did not like their district lines and where some students were being sent. Probably issues with budgets and other items. When Charlotte Meck Schools announced if that happened students in the "Matthews district" would not longer be allowed to take part in CMS programs such as the IB and Language immersion things went a bit silent. The whole thing is damn shambles.

Side bar. What language immersion program do they do down there? English or Spanish or something else?

With the passage of House bill 514, it became possible. Cornelius and Huntersville also explored creating their own charter schools. So far, the only thing really stopping it has been the cost. School overcrowding has been one of the issues, which might not be alleviated with this solution. But I believe that it will eventually happen.

Reactions: btango
No thanks I will keep my gun rights and stick with the disadvantage
Agreed 100%, but I would bet both parties are behind the charter schools. So we can't put it all on one party. Just have to find out who supports charter schools and get rid of them in the primaries and keep the party we want in place with someone that don't support charter schools.

Politics needs to be out of schools 100 percent no common core no political favoritism to either party that's the way it was when I went to school and the way it should be now. If this policy was implemented charters would start to fade away. I know two kids right now that attend millenial charter that would be at mt airy if this was the case

You guys do not see the positives of charter schools. They give parents an opportunity to get their child away from the wrong crowd. I know quite a few kids who once they went to a charter school, they almost completely became a different person. Their grades drastically improved, and so did their attitude and behavior. So before you all talk about how there shouldn’t be charters, do some research and actually see what they are doing for kids before you make an assessment

You guys do not see the positives of charter schools. They give parents an opportunity to get their child away from the wrong crowd. I know quite a few kids who once they went to a charter school, they almost completely became a different person. Their grades drastically improved, and so did their attitude and behavior. So before you all talk about how there shouldn’t be charters, do some research and actually see what they are doing for kids before you make an assessment
Not all charter schools are created equal.

So before you all talk about how there shouldn’t be charters, do some research and actually see what they are doing for kids before you make an assessment

oc hit the nail on the head. Some are really inept and have been found to be criminally negligent in the way the school was ran. I get it but at the end of the day I would hope that public schools could handle discpline properly and educate fully.

I fully understand why charters exist and why they aren't going away. I would send my kid to a charter school if he got a better education there. In fact, I briefly considered a move to Rutherford County, but I would have seriously considered making the whole thing contingent on whether I could get my kids into TJ or not.

But there are issues that I am sure you are sympathetic to. Charters hurt the funding for traditionals. NC needs to increase funding on public education on things besides just teacher pay, and restoring that funding would be a great start. The reduced requirements that charters have placed on them can be a problem too. Some charters do great, such as TJ, but as ocdavis said up there, not all charters are created equal. All of this is besides the athletic issue, which is important to us but really a side argument to the main problem.

From a district with a population of over 50,000.

I would like for someone from that area to explain this better. Edgecomb County has three high school plus Rocky Mount. I am not sure how the school system in RM is divided up. Rocky Mount has won a recent 3A state title. North Edgecomb and SW Edgecomb have been to regional finals the last few years. The population may be over 50k. Tarboro may be the best football team but there is no way they are getting all the talent or the other schools would not perform as they do. Granted, NE is small 1A and that can be very weak at times but they still do well.

I fully understand why charters exist and why they aren't going away. I would send my kid to a charter school if he got a better education there. In fact, I briefly considered a move to Rutherford County, but I would have seriously considered making the whole thing contingent on whether I could get my kids into TJ or not.

But there are issues that I am sure you are sympathetic to. Charters hurt the funding for traditionals. NC needs to increase funding on public education on things besides just teacher pay, and restoring that funding would be a great start. The reduced requirements that charters have placed on them can be a problem too. Some charters do great, such as TJ, but as ocdavis said up there, not all charters are created equal. All of this is besides the athletic issue, which is important to us but really a side argument to the main problem.

I understand this. I am bias on the topic because I only see it from a point of view of a charter school that is successful with their efforts.
Believe it or not teachers make less at charter schools than they do at traditional public schools. I also believe that charter schools do deserve some stars funding. However, not as much as normal schools, because most charter schools have a few families throughout the school that help the school out a lot

Reactions: btango
I understand this. I am bias on the topic because I only see it from a point of view of a charter school that is successful with their efforts.
Believe it or not teachers make less at charter schools than they do at traditional public schools. I also believe that charter schools do deserve some stars funding. However, not as much as normal schools, because most charter schools have a few families throughout the school that help the school out a lot
I have no problem with charter schools receiving state funding if they are nonprofit. In my opinion, not one penny of taxpayer money should go to for profit schools. Those are essentially private schools masquerading as public schools. And no, I don’t believe in vouchers for private schools.

I have no problem with charter schools receiving state funding if they are nonprofit. In my opinion, not one penny of taxpayer money should go to for profit schools. Those are essentially private schools masquerading as public schools. And no, I don’t believe in vouchers for private schools.

a non profit should never receive state funding

Worse than a non profit.

SC had three charters that are sports oriented charters ran by a fir profit corporation from Florida.
I agree. It always interests me when people seem to base their opinions on whether it makes a buck. Money's not a bad thing. But it's not the only thing.

I’m intrigued by this idea. I know a school board member in Winston-Salem/Forsyth who was looking into something like this for their system. It didn’t gain any traction in their system, and it was never serious explored.

My one question is this, and I don’t claim to have an answer for it... If a system like Thomasville went “charter”, and charter schools are all about providing kids with a choice, could they, in theory, force a kid to attend? Or would that be what they needed to get the green light to head to a nearby district.

Again, no answer for this one. Just playing devil’s advocate I guess.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Thomasville has a history of giving kids releases to attend East Davidson or Ledford if the county accepts them. And, at least until recently, the county did the same. For each of my kids, we got releases from Davidson County and paid $75 a year for them to attend Thomasville. For thirteen years each. Had nothing to do with athletics (they were five).

Davidson County may have changed its stance, which would be unfortunate. They should at least let the students in the city limits make that choice. If a parent could let their kid walk out of their backyard and step onto the campus of Thomasville Primary School, shouldn’t that be a choice? I believe that if Thomasville went the charter route, Davidson County would have no choice. So, if a kid wanted to attend Thomasville for its advanced manufacturing curriculum, they could. That should happen anyway.

Of course, home schooling and private schools are always choices. The Point on Business 85 in High Point sends vans into Thomasville to pick up kids. And the charter in Lexington adds a grade each year. So, there would still be the same choices.

Isn’t likely to happen. But the other logical solutions will have zero support from the elected officials who would need to make those decisions (making the district and city limits lines coterminous or merger with redistricting).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT