ADVERTISEMENT

1A WS Prep gets another stud transfer

Clearly must want to continue basketball after high school as Prep football is not known as a power. Does seem odd as he was at York Prep...doesn't WS Prep have a lottery system to attend or what is the process?

Clearly must want to continue basketball after high school as Prep football is not known as a power. Does seem odd as he was at York Prep...doesn't WS Prep have a lottery system to attend or what is the process?
Winston Salem Prep is a public school, just like all the other Forsyth County Schools. It is a magnet school, no boundary within the system itself.

Crazy how this keeps happening yet there is no advantage in the eyes of the powers at be. I'm sure it's legal and legit. 6'7" Rico Williams. Big football recruit as well.

This is just conjecture, but the 1st sentence of the next to last paragraph of the link may give some insight. Just interesting that a family from Kinston would choose to move all on their own initiative to SC one year and Winston the next...with the 2d move timing up with the kid's school in SC joining the SCHSL and being subject to closer oversight.

http://amp.heraldonline.com/sports/article207677159.html

I’m hearing the kids family hasn’t moved to Winston, that he is living with a current players family and his family gave up their custody of him for him to be able to play at WS Prep.

In other news though, he has played AAU for the assistant coach at WS Prep. It’s time for other schools to take an actual stand, and the NCHSAA TO LISTEN.

I’m hearing the kids family hasn’t moved to Winston, that he is living with a current players family and his family gave up their custody of him for him to be able to play at WS Prep.

In other news though, he has played AAU for the assistant coach at WS Prep. It’s time for other schools to take an actual stand, and the NCHSAA TO LISTEN.
As long as Que Tucker is leading the NCHSAA, no action will ever be taken against WS Prep for recruiting.

Looks like he played in at York Prep in SC last year was his family in Rock Hill with him?

Thats why they dont need to play against schools who get what they get. Prep schools like WSP has an unfair advantage. They need their own playoffs!!!!!

Reactions: Mhsneer
Can students attend a public school and reclass and attend a public charter school? Noticed that on twitter yesterday.

Thats why they dont need to play against schools who get what they get. Prep schools like WSP has an unfair advantage. They need their own playoffs!!!!!

‘Prep schools like WSP’...what does that mean? WSP is a public school just like every other public school in their county.

‘Prep schools like WSP’...what does that mean? WSP is a public school just like every other public school in their county.

Referring to having the word Prep in it.....and in fact it is not like every other school.'

WSPA students are accepted through a process that includes a written essay, an interview, commitment of parent support, a written agreement, promise of volunteer in support of school activities, and a follow-up by letter indicating acceptance to the WSPA Magnet Program.

WSPA is endowed with a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as well as the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. All students are encouraged to become Crosby Scholars,and by so doing, prepare themselves academically, personally, and financially for college admission.

Reactions: BigManWithAPlan
Referring to having the word Prep in it.....and in fact it is not like every other school.'

WSPA students are accepted through a process that includes a written essay, an interview, commitment of parent support, a written agreement, promise of volunteer in support of school activities, and a follow-up by letter indicating acceptance to the WSPA Magnet Program.

WSPA is endowed with a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as well as the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. All students are encouraged to become Crosby Scholars,and by so doing, prepare themselves academically, personally, and financially for college admission.
This sounds great, but how does WS Prep rank academically? They have struggled greatly over the years, regardless of how you spin it. It's kind of surprising that they haven't been shut down due to low academics. Right now there's one thing keeping them open - men's basketball. Magically they keep getting new kids coming into the school (who happen to be really good at basketball). No one is moving there for academics. Everyone knows what's going on and has for years but Que nor the NCHSAA won't do anything about it.

This sounds great, but how does WS Prep rank academically? They have struggled greatly over the years, regardless of how you spin it. It's kind of surprising that they haven't been shut down due to low academics. Right now there's one thing keeping them open - men's basketball. Magically they keep getting new kids coming into the school (who happen to be really good at basketball). No one is moving there for academics. Everyone knows what's going on and has for years but Que nor the NCHSAA won't do anything about it.

I copied and pasted info from their website and wikipedia page. Trust me, I am not advocating for them.

“And we’ve got some newcomers like Zaire Patterson, that’s getting offered in football right now but came in as a basketball player, and he’s ready to go.”

Interesting quote...

Reactions: littlemash
“And we’ve got some newcomers like Zaire Patterson, that’s getting offered in football right now but came in as a basketball player, and he’s ready to go.”

Interesting quote...
Patterson was on their roster last year as a freshman (at least he was by playoff time). Notice Gould didn't mention transfer Rico Williams in the article...

In the case of WSP being a "magnet" school. This is a classic bait and switch, and a clever play on words to give it "public school" legitimacy, but it is far from "public". WSP is a "preparatory academy", notice how no one ever mentions the word academy? This is because the moniker "magnet" is better suited for it's purposes. This isn't a conspiracy, it is simply the reality. WSP is in essence a private academy, with an application process, a waiting list, acceptance requirements, and enrollment exceptions, all under the guise of a public magnet school. If it were truly a public school, any child within district boundaries would be able to attend, yet that is not the case, as someone has already mentioned here, and as the enrollment requirements make clear. You have to be chosen to attend there. One can slap a name like "magnet" on it and call it "public" all one wants, but the fact remains that based upon it's structure/requirements it is not. I can put on a red striped shirt and call myself a candy cane all day long, but that still doesn't make it so.
I can't imagine there being a waiting list to attend WS Prep. According to North Carolina School Report Card information via NCDPI, the school has earned grades of F (2015), D (2016), and D (2017) over the past 3 years (2018 data should be released at some point pretty soon). I just don't see people beating down the doors to head to such a school. Of course, there always seems to be new kids that transfer into the men's basketball program on a yearly basis...

That school will close down once Gould retires/leaves or whatever. Won't be any other reason to keep to keep it open.

Amazing Prep continues to be the focus year in and out.

I remember a host of other schools being vilified the last couple years for similar reasons. Did those schools simmer down on recruiting or is Prep just the whipping boy right now?

Wasn't it Voyager, a school out of Durham and Lincoln Charter if I remember. Have these schools calm down some or Prep is the primary focus because of the latest news?

Not a fan of charters like Voyager playing in the NCHSAA without an enrollment multiplier, but with that being said, Voyager's 7-foot UVA recruit when they won was the coach's son, not an out of state transfer.

Amazing? The more amazing news would be that Prep gets no stud transfers for the upcoming year. Now that would be truly amazing news.

Is the big transfer even playing? Last I heard he was ruled ineligible by the NCHSAA because he’s living with an assistant coach and not with his legal guardians, who live in Kingston.

Is the big transfer even playing? Last I heard he was ruled ineligible by the NCHSAA because he’s living with an assistant coach and not with his legal guardians, who live in Kingston.
At this time he is not listed on the WS Prep roster on Maxpreps. Not sure what's going on, but it would be refreshing if the state is preventing an inappropriate transfer to Prep.

heard thru the mill that there’s an indirect poll being done amongst “all” basketbal Coaches about sub-dividing the basketball ....

It would be even easier for Prep to win a state championship if they subdivide the playoffs.....they would be in the small 1A!! WHO would compete with them year in and year out??

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
heard thru the mill that there’s an indirect poll being done amongst “all” basketbal Coaches about sub-dividing the basketball ....
Can't see the state allowing subdividing in other sports. I heard baseball coaches were submitting a new playoff request proposal to NCHSAA and one option they had was subdividing. I think you're more likely to get a new model with 5 levels/divisions before you'd get subdivided playoffs for each of the 4 current divisions (which would create 8 state champions).

Reactions: AHVikingNation
from my understanding there’s a push from some schools in the East

Can't see the state allowing subdividing in other sports. I heard baseball coaches were submitting a new playoff request proposal to NCHSAA and one option they had was subdividing. I think you're more likely to get a new model with 5 levels/divisions before you'd get subdivided playoffs for each of the 4 current divisions (which would create 8 state champions).
Btango has stated on several other threads about baseball wanting to subdivide. I don’t for the life of me understand why, unless more coaches can brag about making the playoffs.

I think he has said if the state went with 5 classes they would be subdivided in football.

And womans basketball

And womans basketball
Nope, just Men’s basketball. WS Prep won 2 straight state titles in 2015 & 2016 using the same formula as the men’s team (bring in transfers). Once that coach left and the outside talent stopped being brought in, they won 0 games in 2017 and 3 games last year. They are currently 1-3. Men’s basketball is the flagship of WS Prep and is one of the main reasons that school hasn’t been consolidated with another school.

Women's basketball had some success by players venturing over to WS Prep. But then the connected coach moved to Ohio and now they are really bad.

Prep did lose to Parkland in the Frank Spencer... So that’s kind of refreshing

Prep did lose to Parkland in the Frank Spencer... So that’s kind of refreshing
They also lost to RJ. Reynolds , both in the Frank Spencer Classic
They have 5 wins and 4 loses. Of course, the loses come from 4A schools except for a loss to Blue Ridge out of Virginia and not sure of their classification.

Quite interesting to take a look at Blue Ridge School. Private all-Male boarding school in Virginia. Enrollment is 195. Elite basketball program. Hosted a team from Australia this year... but really cool trip to play in a tournament in Manchester England. The Haris Charalambous Memorial. Named after a University of Toledo basketball player who died in preseason workouts back in 2006.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT