ADVERTISEMENT

WS Prep 63 - Cherokee 34

Can anyone give a breakdown of the home school districts for the WSP boys?

One has been there the whole time (Harrison) he is a senior. Williams family moved to Winston from Wilson NC.

Now there is a meaningful question btango, but I bet we have trouble getting that one answered.

I hear lots of discussion about traditional schools that also have advantages. Who are these schools and how are they taking advantage of the system? I am sure that there is some room for fudging of the rules everywhere, but when you live where we do, we are just sol. There must be a lot of schools in the same shape as my Trojans, I assume anyway.

Originally posted by coach1530:

One has been there the whole time (Harrison) he is a senior. Williams family moved to Winston from Wilson NC.
I think most of the players have been there since freshman year but the question is what is their home school district. WSP does not have a home district as it is a full county wide magnet.

The reason I am curious about what school the players would be at is because one wonders if there are a few starters at WSP from one school how much better would that school be. In Forsyth County "the lines" are blurred.

Originally posted by Alleghany84:

I hear lots of discussion about traditional schools that also have advantages. Who are these schools and how are they taking advantage of the system? I am sure that there is some room for fudging of the rules everywhere, but when you live where we do, we are just sol. There must be a lot of schools in the same shape as my Trojans, I assume anyway.
If you live in a county with one high school the chances are that all of your players live in the county and therefore the district. It is possible that if a school is not overcapacity students from outside the county could pay the county student costs (ie tuition) and attend. Teachers that do not live in the county they teach often do this with their children.

Some counties will allow students to attend a school that is not their home district school if certain parameters are met. Usually this will be the student is leaving for a school that is under capacity and his home school is over capacity. It is sometimes socio-economic sometimes also.

Here is an example of how crazy it can get. This player at Myers Park was attending Providence freshman year and then into her sophomore. Not sure if the female athlete was caught in a redistricting entering her sophomore year or what the scenario is but CMS notified her after the school year started that she was in the wrong school and needed to move to Myers Park. Note this is after a few months of the school year was complete. Note in the article if this would have not been a mistake by the school system the player would have been required to set out 365 of sports participation.

Another item to note, the 5am pre school practices. Ouch.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article13589348.html

Thanks for the explanation btango. Living where we live, we just don't see this happen either way. I do know of a couple of situations through the years where parents got upset about something and took their kid to Elkin and they accepted them. Are there examples, that you know of, where this has created an advantage for someone.

Most 2A AD and reps will not vote for a rule to move charters, magnets, and privates with a multiplier. They don't want unfair boundary schools in their championships either.

Question: Is there a way 1A schools could vote to exit the NCHSAA?

Alleghany I am not in this post being critical of these schools but only trying to answer the question. This has nothing to do with charters or magnets or McGuinness but just trying to answer your specific question. People on this board said that kids at one time at least were flowing back and forth between Starmount, Elkin and East Wilkes and was creating a major advantage in football at least for one or two of them and creating a disadvantage for one. Mt. Airy has had kids not in their district. A few kids from Forsyth over the years have ended up at a few of the smaller 1A and 2A's that were not in Forsyth. I understand that their districts are not as big as Forsyth and X kid and Y kid have to pass Y school to get to the school they are districted to and all of that discussion. My ONLY point I am making in this post is that an argument could be made that some 1A schools in those situations could have an advantage over schools like Alleghany or a school that has no ability ever to draw from outside of their district. I would have thought East Surry over the years would have been upset about kids from Elkin or wherever going to Mt. Airy or even N. Surry kids going to Mt. Airy when East Surry was more restrictive in who they could get. They don't seem to be upset about it, but if the non-traditional schools disappeared or were no longer an issue, I wonder if there would be more complaining. I thought someone said on this board once that there was more complaining about this before the problem of the non-traditional schools came about. But I am not sure as it was a long time ago. Because their advantage is perceived as being less than the non-traditional schools, the focus is on the non-traditional schools which I totally understand. But if that problem went away...

Coach 1530- we seem to hear about it all the time. But for one example, there was a kid who is now playing Ivy League I think maybe at Brown as I recall reading who played at Reagan, then transferred to play for West Forsyth, then transferred to play at Mt. Tabor...all within 2 seasons.

Thanks for the explanation btango. Living where we live, we just don't see this happen either way. I do know of a couple of situations through the years where parents got upset about something and took their kid to Elkin and they accepted them. Are there examples, that you know of, where this has created an advantage for someone.
Albemarle had a basketball player several years ago that lived in Cabarrus County but his mother taught in Albemarle. He opted to go there and had a good career. Not a star but solid. Central Cabbarus was his home school and they were a powerhouse at that time!

When Albemarle had it's own city school system it put more money per student into the schools than the Stanly County system did. (They are a single system now after consolidating in the mid 1990's.) Parents would pay the tuition to send their children to Albemarle which was considered much better academically at the time than the three county high schools. Had a couple of their best all time basketballers come from North Stanly. Funny thing is the kids went to North and hardly saw the court as freshman on JV. Started at Albemarle on the varsity as sophomores on probably better teams than North. The parents were all basketball people, college standouts and / or coaches.

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Most 2A AD and reps will not vote for a rule to move charters, magnets, and privates with a multiplier. They don't want unfair boundary schools in their championships either.

Question: Is there a way 1A schools could vote to exit the NCHSAA?
Correct on 2A coaches and schools.

They can form their own association but there is much more to it than wanting to.

Ponder this as a solution for schools that are mostly open for atheletics. If a school has a performance rating of "F" on their NCDPI report card, then they can participate in the regular season, BUT no playoffs. Basically: no pass=no playoffs.

This post was edited on 3/12 2:09 PM by recycled2

I actually love that idea, but it has the same chance as a snow ball down south, and I mean way south.

When Swain County won the football title a few years ago they had some key players that had played at Cherokee previously. The players transferred to Swain without moving residences. I think this should require a 365 set out period from athletics from the day of the transfer approval by the admin. That is what would happen to a Parochial student and what would happen in Meck County which has very aggressive policies on residency.

Mount Airy, Elkin, and some other schools have also been pointed at as schools that had players that lived outside their district playing. It was not illegal. The local school system approved the players to attend.

Everyone points toward magnets and charters but there are circumstances at many schools that would leave people scratching their head.

The Hatfield twins played as sophomores at South Davidson in Davidson County, at Davie County HS in Davie County as juniors and at Mt. Tabor in Winston as seniors....3 schools in 3 years in 3 counties, still living in the same residence the entire time.

Originally posted by btango:

When Swain County won the football title a few years ago they had some key players that had played at Cherokee previously. The players transferred to Swain without moving residences. I think this should require a 365 set out period from athletics from the day of the transfer approval by the admin. That is what would happen to a Parochial student and what would happen in Meck County which has very aggressive policies on residency.

Mount Airy, Elkin, and some other schools have also been pointed at as schools that had players that lived outside their district playing. It was not illegal. The local school system approved the players to attend.

Everyone points toward magnets and charters but there are circumstances at many schools that would leave people scratching their head.
Even in the SMC, Cherokee County has a discretionary admissions policy for students who don't meet residential requirements, you can pay tuition to attend Transylvania County Schools out of county, etc. So I understand that it's very hard to write a policy defining "open enrollment" in a manner that really gets at what the beef is with Voyager, Prep, etc. without being overinclusive.

Sort of hard for East Surry to complain when they have had students and athletes transfer in from N Stokes district, W Stokes district, Mount Airy district and N Surry district.

SBBBfan- my apologies. I had never heard that before. I thought Surry County had a rule about transfers. Maybe I am confusing them with Stokes or someone else. Sorry about that.

No apologies necessary Dosso I just hear it all the time and the policy is basically the same as the city. East has the same situation as MA and Elkin as the school is located just a mile or so from the county line of Stokes and 4-5 miles from MA school
. It is a lot closer for a lot of N Stokes students.

The more i read these threads the more I see that most of these problems are in the West. Except for the charter in the triangle. Both East teams playing in the 1A finals will be playing with the girls and boys that grow up in there boundaries. Small counties, Small towns playing vs no boundaries. LET'S GO TRADITIONAL SCHOOLS!!!!!!

One thing about Prep is they are well coached boys and girls and that always brings kids in. They have help sent many kids to college. When they were in the same conference with West Stokes it made West a better team and help them prepare for the playoffs each year. I think West beat them 3 times one year but they knew they had to play hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT