ADVERTISEMENT

WS Prep 63 - Cherokee 34

Was at game and all I can say is prep is above and beyond any 1a team this year they will win state easy.

Yep. WS looked like a 4A team!!
Not much to say except, got beat by a much better team.

Are they bringing it to your house 3d?

Bring home the 10th North Carolina Silver Spoon Award.

Originally posted by 3daughters:
Congrats girls! Bring it home next week!
So, 3d, do you pull for any advantaged team? Sounds like it. Why?

Silver Spoon.

It's not my house bk it's my estate. I've got some yard work I need done, you up for it? I'll pay more than that minimum wage you're making now.

Also bk, since English is obviously not your native language I'll need to check your papers.

I'll send the limo to get you, not sure you can get here in your Yugo.

Good effort...when you write in simple words, max four letters per word that's how you learn. Gotta keep working on "there", "their" and "they're" though when you graduate to bigger words.

3d you sound like your really well off.Maybe you could come to the Mtns and pay it forward.Help out us uneducated Mtn folk.

I'm sure BK is fine. Loves living where he was born and raised. I know that I do. It sounds like you could do a lot of good up here.

I said the other night another blowout , those all star players from all those 4A highs schools all over Forsyth County that go to Prep Stack the Deck to win a Championship, and look Good for the College Scouts.. Its Pathetic and unfair to the Honest students that stay in there schools an play with pride for there schools. Its Like ( Hey Bro my home team is well Going to be average this year I am The best they have, Dad says, Lets go to Prep son and you can look good with all those other Players and Win a 1A championship that your old school has no chance too). That's how its done and its very unfair to all the other 1A schools that will never have the talent that Prep does. But 3daughters likes to bully people and that's one big problem in this world ,some people think there better than others just because they have money and got to go to college . It pisses me off that I have family in the Marines that are fighting for our Freedoms every day, and some like 3Daughters thinks they are better than them and makes fun of other less fortunate people. Shame on you. PS . The Cherokee People were here before any of us were 3Daughters.

This post was edited on 3/8 12:18 PM by big army mike

This post was edited on 3/8 12:20 PM by big army mike

Originally posted by Mont1963:
I'm sure they probably would be on a 4A team if they went to school in the proper district like everyone else's kids have to. (Except those in the silver spoon districts ) I had the chance to watch Riverside play Rosewood in the Traditional 1A High School NC Championship Girls Regional Game before the Traditional 1A High School Boys NC Championship regional game. Those Riverside girls are very good and I believe it will be a repeat of last years game , just like the boys game will be but hopefully the non recruited team will get a chance to win one or maybe two this year .

Originally posted by PirateDad17:
Originally posted by Mont1963:
I'm sure they probably would be on a 4A team if they went to school in the proper district like everyone else's kids have to.
Some of them are probably districted to 1A, 2A, and 3A schools also. Forsyth County is a major part of the issue.

OK guys. How long before WSP starts dominating 1A football like they are basketball? Probably not long!

Well they won the boys game by a large margin and the girls was a blow out. They will win it again next year. Sucks for your traditional school to have to play against stacked decks . But on a good note another great run by our lady Braves. 5 straight trips to regionals is impressive.

I don't see it happening with football Forsyth county has much better options with more resources if you are going to a school for just football. West Forsyth, Regan and Mt Tabor in 4a and then you have Carver 2a and Walkertown 1a which are both less than four miles from prep.

Buddy, same thing was said 10 years ago about Bishop dominating 1A football.

Glad the rest of you are getting a taste of the Winston-Salem All-Stars. The Northwest 1-A has had to deal with this for several years. North Stokes, East Surry, and Mt. Airy have districts from which to draw. The others in our conference have another set of rules. It is not that school's fault that their enrollment comes from a much wider geographical area. The schools which have a "boundary" should all withdraw from the NCHSAA playoff system and have our own state playoffs. It would not take a genius to draw a definition of a school with a boundary vs. a school without boundaries. Everybody still plays within their conference until it is time to play for a state title. Schools with boundaries would then divide by enrollment and play each other. Maybe 4 or 5 classifications. We could play the state title games at our home schools until the big boys realize we mean business.
But to do this it would take local school boards and superintendents who care about the fairness of high school athletics. There lays the problem !! If we could somehow put athletics into that DATA system which grades our schools then the decision makers would find a solution to the unfairness.
And yes Prep will be a football force in the fall!

Go for it Davis....just the insurance coverage cost alone would be humorous. Say goodbye to your football program.

This post was edited on 3/8 5:40 PM by 3daughters

110% truth that Prep will eventually be a force in football and in small 1A....and they have to recruit kids to their school or there would be no team....people shouldn't be blind to that fact.....no kid is going to look at Prep just to say "I want to go there" for the academics...there is encouragement to come....what did they get on the state report card: a D or F??

If you go to their school website you can read their test scores off of their school improvement plan. They are clearly an academic magnet. Right? It is nuts that anyone out there still would argue that those kids go there for any reason other than to pool together a bunch of talent and win state athletic championships. No reasonable person is fooled. Those who have said that Forsyth County district is a big problem are exactly right. There are kids going to bigger schools to play football, but football is not the only problem. Check almost any sport, and you will find a school in the county where kids who focus on that particular sport are going. The academic magnet thing is a joke and a political ploy for the ignorant public. It is a troubling fact about our society that the public is buying this.

I just went and looked. WSP straight F's across the board though it said they met expected growth somehow. Atkins did really well though.

Atkins is a MUCH more rigorous academic school (it's a science & tech high school, I believe), so their test scores being much better isn't a surprise.

Prep is no doubt a factory, but I REALLY doubt that they'll put together a big time football program with no facilities and a student body of less than 300. There's no AAU system in football where the kids can sort of recruit each other during the summer, so in order to bring in kids that can do some damage for football, they'd have to BLATANTLY recruit, something the West Forsyth's and East Forsyth's of the world would never put up with.

Football is a big business, especially in the upper classifications around the metro areas. They aren't going to let a small school like Prep siphon off their depth. They'd go to the NCHSAA about it.

This post was edited on 3/8 6:54 PM by Dave2kMA

3F, excuse me, I meant 3D, (Freudian slip here) knows not what she is talking about. Every high school in NC buys their own insurance now! They purchase it from any company that sells it. They do use the NCHSAA for catastrophic coverage, but that cost is very minimal.

The answer is to PULL OUT. Plain and simple. Form a separate Association for traditional schools only!!

IT CAN BE DONE!!

Bingo mont...they use the NCHSAA for catastrophic insurance. One kid goes down and there is no catastrophic insurance and guess who is on the hook..the local school board. Those folks are a whole lot smarter than that. Goodbye football.

The charter, small open magnets, and Parochial school issues are a small school issue. The big metro schools do not have an issue competing with them with Charlotte Catholic being the perfect example. The Charlotte schools were excited to have them playing 4A. Cardinal Gibbons requested to move up to 4A and the request was approved. The schools in their conference were ok with this and the new conference welcomed them. CG was also approaching 4A numbers if not there. The issue for Parochials is Bishop McGuiness.

Once again, the problem is the charters and open magnets that the state assembly is crazy about.

I have no issue with a high academic charter or magnet that is truly focused on academics and has stringent entry requirements. My problem is a school that is a low academic performing institute that is passed off as advanced academia. The school system in Forsyth and every administrator that supports that are about corrupt.

I will say this once again for you very slowly 3d so you can understand it! Yes, they do use the NCHSAA for catastrophic insurance, BUT THAT COST IS VERY MINIMAL!

I have priced it. EVERY school in NC could afford it !!!!!

Mont it has always been my understanding that the catastrophic insurance was an issue for a small group of schools due to the cost with football being included. This may have very well changed but that was an item that was mentioned by a group of coaches/ADs that looked into the potential of a setting up another sports association in the last ten years.

I am not sure if the state assembly would need to approve for schools to leave but if the reason was made clear it was because of charters and magnets you can be assured that it would face a fight.

Originally posted by davisdorm:
Glad the rest of you are getting a taste of the Winston-Salem All-Stars. The Northwest 1-A has had to deal with this for several years. North Stokes, East Surry, and Mt. Airy have districts from which to draw. The others in our conference have another set of rules. It is not that school's fault that their enrollment comes from a much wider geographical area. The schools which have a "boundary" should all withdraw from the NCHSAA playoff system and have our own state playoffs. It would not take a genius to draw a definition of a school with a boundary vs. a school without boundaries. Everybody still plays within their conference until it is time to play for a state title. Schools with boundaries would then divide by enrollment and play each other. Maybe 4 or 5 classifications. We could play the state title games at our home schools until the big boys realize we mean business.
But to do this it would take local school boards and superintendents who care about the fairness of high school athletics. There lays the problem !! If we could somehow put athletics into that DATA system which grades our schools then the decision makers would find a solution to the unfairness.
And yes Prep will be a football force in the fall!
Would Mt. Airy be allowed to play in the boundary school division? Would a district that allows a student from another district to pay tuition that covers the taxes per student costs and attend the school outside their home district be a member? If a school is under capacity and the school system allows students from an over capacity school to transfer in and play sports would they be allowed to participate? Would a school that has the complete county EC students attending be allowed to join?

Four or five classifications? How many schools do you think are going to want to join the new association. I feel confident you can knock out well over 90% of the 4A schools and about the same amount of 3A schools as they will not meet the criteria or will not be interested. 2A schools a little less. The schools that would be interested will be the 1A schools and I would expect you will not have a great number until football becomes a casualty of these non traditional schools. Until that happens you are swimming upstream.

Will the NC Assembly allow their favorite academic success stories, charters and magnets, to be thrown under the bus? If the state mandates how school students must be allowed to play sports would that be an issue?

Do you think the NCHSAA and the NFHS will disallow their schools from playing schools in the new league for a period of time? Would there be enough schools to allow for logistically scheduling across the state or would this become a mountain association as it is not feasible for most areas?

The key to fixing this is to allow the NCHSAA to have a football only alignment and then one for all other sports. In the non football one there would be a fifth class with schools that are charters and elite academic magnets that are 1A size and may be 2A size. A school such as WS Prep, that is an open magnet without elite academics, and a Parochial would play up a class or have a denominator for their enrollment that would take them up one, two, or three classes.

It is amazing how every year the teams from the far west complain about the teams form Forsyth county but never say anything about the teams from Charlotte who uses open enrollment to stay on top. Make no mistake about it WS Prep girls are a very good team but if they were in 4A or 3A they would not have made it to the regionals. I can't speak much on 2A because I didn't have a chance to see much of them this year. WS Prep girls are a very good 1A team but so were the Bishop, Hayesville, and Thomasville teams of the past. Prep girls haven't won their 1st State Championship much less second or third so lets not put them on a pedestal just yet. This may be all short lived because it is my understanding that they only have 7 players and 6 of them are juniors. It's ironic how 4 of those seven players come from the same AAU team. Smh!!!

And there you have it SlowYoRoll. Put WS Prep, Bishop, Voyager into Class 4-A for the play-offs and see how they do. I expect they will still win quite a few titles. I know Bishop Girls would have. I don't see that happening because the 4-A's don't want to play them either.

Only other fair option would be an Independent Classification where they could play each other. But as the system is today, the traditional schools have no chance at winning a Class 1-A basketball title.

Originally posted by SlowYoRoll:
It is amazing how every year the teams from the far west complain about the teams form Forsyth county but never say anything about the teams from Charlotte who uses open enrollment to stay on top.
Probably because the Charlotte teams don't play in 1A. If the system gives an unfair advantage to Charlotte schools at the 4A level, as you say it does, just imagine what it does at the 1A level...

Mt Tabor played them and so did RJ Reynolds. I know Myers Park, Dudley, Ardrey Kell and the likes would play them.

If there were 1A schools in Charlotte they would have open enrollment too. Just because its 4A doesn't make it right. All I'm saying is if you are going to complain about it and its about the kids and not just your kids then it should be across the board not just singling out Forsyth county.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT