ADVERTISEMENT

WS Carver Yellow Jackets 2019

Doppleganger#

Jul 4, 2003
They had a rough season last year. Will they improve? I missed their glory years. Hopefully, they will return. Any info?

#'s are gonna be what makes or breaks them.. they didn't have that many kids at all last year on either level. Their JV's were very competitive last year for the first time in a while but they weren't as good as they were when Crowell started. They are just hoping to hang on.. they came very close to not winning a game on varsity last year.

Their non conference slate is very, very easy compared to the last few years. I see them winning over South Davidson and maybe Madison.. they play a very good Jefferson Academy team and HP Andrews in the other 2.

? mark is how many of those JV kids they managed to keep in house. If they lost over half then they are in really bad shape. They have fast kids but when #'s aren't great it doesn't matter.

I hope they don’t get bit by the 8 quarter rule by someone who might be paying attention.

Last year, they were a little sketchy with sharing their roster in the preseason. Don’t know that they broke the rules... can’t prove it... don’t even really care, being that they had a horrendous season.

That stuff does come back to bite you though, when and if success ever comes knocking.

I hope they don’t get bit by the 8 quarter rule by someone who might be paying attention.

Last year, they were a little sketchy with sharing their roster in the preseason. Don’t know that they broke the rules... can’t prove it... don’t even really care, being that they had a horrendous season.

That stuff does come back to bite you though, when and if success ever comes knocking.

Hmm.. interesting. I'm sure it happens more than what people realize.

Worst case if they actually did it on purpose.. that's a big deal. They don't have much to forfeit besides the 2 wins both teams had. It's not like in 2015 when they had to forfeit all the JV wins they had due to an illegal player. What could the state do, fine them? They aren't in good money shape. It could be an SMU style situation there.. might not have a choice if it happens all the time. Something has to be done in that case if so.

They were a mess last year so I can't say I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They had more coaches than fans in the stands yet none of them did anything besides 2 or 3. One got thrown out for a tantrum at the refs and another did until they talked the refs down somehow.. it was sad to watch. They weren't even loosing with dignity and grace at that point.

I was honestly surprised they won that game 2 weeks later.

Hmm.. interesting. I'm sure it happens more than what people realize.

Worst case if they actually did it on purpose.. that's a big deal. They don't have much to forfeit besides the 2 wins both teams had. It's not like in 2015 when they had to forfeit all the JV wins they had due to an illegal player. What could the state do, fine them? They aren't in good money shape. It could be an SMU style situation there.. might not have a choice if it happens all the time. Something has to be done in that case if so.

They were a mess last year so I can't say I wouldn't be surprised if they did. They had more coaches than fans in the stands yet none of them did anything besides 2 or 3. One got thrown out for a tantrum at the refs and another did until they talked the refs down somehow.. it was sad to watch. They weren't even loosing with dignity and grace at that point.

I was honestly surprised they won that game 2 weeks later.

I watched them play Oak Grove in week one. Granted, a couple of Carver’s fans were sitting on the home side because there was shade, and it was hot. But, I counted 20 fans on their side by halftime. After that, the slaughter began and most everyone was gone by the 4th quarter.

I watched them play Oak Grove in week one. Granted, a couple of Carver’s fans were sitting on the home side because there was shade, and it was hot. But, I counted 20 fans on their side by halftime. After that, the slaughter began and most everyone was gone by the 4th quarter.

They didn't even bring 20 to ours.. maybe 5 or so. For the first time in my 10+ years at North I've never seen the away stands that empty. during a game. First year we played Atkins they had 12 fans come.. when we played HP Andrews that one year they had 10, but that's easily the lowest. The band didn't even show up until near halftime lol.

They did the same when we had our JV makeup game in November, maybe 5-10 came and we brought close to 15 people. Me and our coaches were trying to guess how much $ they lost from having to pay the ref crew.

Does carver still have that amazing freakin band ? I went and seen them play Shelby a few years ago and that was a true show

Does carver still have that amazing freakin band ? I went and seen them play Shelby a few years ago and that was a true show

Not really sadly., they barely played anything during the varsity game last year. In '16 and '17 they weren't that bad and were fun to watch.. went down fast in just one year once their ADMs started falling. They came in full in 2013 and 2015 and they were beyond loud and drove me nuts during the game (couldn't think or hear,) but last year it was dead silent and it was bloody weird.

About the best band from Forsyth county now that we play in my opinion is Atkins's band.. they do a wicked version of the Florida State fight song mixed with Sportscenter's theme song.. no lie it's amazing. They get into it like Carver used to do minus the 10/10 theatricality, I prefer that as they empathize the music more. They probably have a few of their band kids now.. like OMC said "how bizarre."

Pulling for Carver to get back to some resemblance of their old selves. Just going to be hard with Walkertown, Atkins, Prep and East in close proximity..... They have or had a rich tradition over the years.

Reactions: ForsythCo
Last year the best part of the Carver band was the little elementary school kid who marched along with them with his only little bass drum.

I remember going to some games at Bowman Gray Stadium back when I was a kid. Parkland vs Carver... Carver vs Reynolds. It really seemed like the big time back then.

Didn’t they move a few of Carver’s games to Bowman Gray in the last decade (when they were really good) to accommodate a huge crowd?

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Sadly, football has gone down the tubes for them. At least for now.

I was at a wrestling match at Carver once when they were 3A. They had to wait on Ragsdale High to arrive so that they could have enough help to pull the mat out and get it set up.

Last year the best part of the Carver band was the little elementary school kid who marched along with them with his only little bass drum.

I remember going to some games at Bowman Gray Stadium back when I was a kid. Parkland vs Carver... Carver vs Reynolds. It really seemed like the big time back then.

Didn’t they move a few of Carver’s games to Bowman Gray in the last decade (when they were really good) to accommodate a huge crowd?
Yes the Carver/Parkland games were played at Bowman Gray for about 5 years.

Whats up with all these schools like Walkertown ,Adkins, WS Prep all in the East Winston area? What are the Administration thinking? Looks like Carver needs some major overhaul. Maybe, they will return to Glory someday.

Whats up with all these schools like Walkertown ,Adkins, WS Prep all in the East Winston area? What are the Administration thinking? Looks like Carver needs some major overhaul. Maybe, they will return to Glory someday.

I think it was a mistake to put that many schools up in eastern Forsyth county.

I don’t know of any other urban schools systems that sport as many 1A and 2A schools as WSFC does.

I don’t know of any other urban schools systems that sport as many 1A and 2A schools as WSFC does.

State wanted smaller school around 600-800 kids so they promoted building and charters. Has become a mess in many counties. Carver has talent, needs to stay down 1A and WSFCS is screwing the smaller schools anyways making them play in the county non-conference. Regardless of talent, Carver, Walkertown, Adkins, Prep have no chance against EF, WF, etc.

State wanted smaller school around 600-800 kids so they promoted building and charters. Has become a mess in many counties. Carver has talent, needs to stay down 1A and WSFCS is screwing the smaller schools anyways making them play in the county non-conference. Regardless of talent, Carver, Walkertown, Adkins, Prep have no chance against EF, WF, etc.
They no longer require them to play the larger schools.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Thank goodness for that! I don’t see many terrible in-county mismatches for the smaller WSFC schools.

The worst one I see is North Forsyth and Reagan. But they are so close so it probably is good for the gate to put Reagan on their schedule.

Thank goodness for that! I don’t see many terrible in-county mismatches for the smaller WSFC schools.

The worst one I see is North Forsyth and Reagan. But they are so close so it probably is good for the gate to put Reagan on their schedule.
Rival game since Reagan opened. That game is scheduled by both schools.

Reactions: PrepFanNC

When Carver first came to 2a I feel like they had the talent to compete

Pretty much.

Carver's athletic program as a whole is in awful, awful shape. They forfeit everyone a ton in every sport minus the main two. I remember a couple of years ago they told us they wanted to play in women's tennis for our senior night and they didn't even bother to call us back and say they wanted to forfeit so we had to wait a while before we won by "forfeit by absentia," sad.

Their best hope is to stay open and keep dropping kids so they can get to 1A. That alone's hilarious because I remember when we first met their staff in 2013 they told us straight up they would pout and refuse to go to 1A.. oh how the mighty have fallen. That's their lifeline now.

They would do fine in the Northwest or some conference with some lower 1A schools or privates. Imagine them, North Moore, Chatham Central, South Davidson all in a 1A football conference? That would be a goldmine.

That area is unreal.. Carver near the airport, Atkins near Kernersville, Walkertown in the rural part, then Prep in the old Atkins building. Against all odds Atkins has the more kids out of those 4 which should make no sense due to the magnet school designation, but they get all kinds of kids and have good turnout for Football every year despite never being a powerhouse. Carver loosing kids out the wazoo, Prep's very small, then Walkertown's the outlier. Hard to explain without being their and seeing it.

Walkertown has no reason for existing really.. no one really wanted it. Carver needed to be rebuilt and modernized but Forsyth wanted none of it. Carver should still be 3A with McKoy as the head coach right now. Same for North Forsyth being 2A they shouldn't be that low either. As Forsyth keeps building more schools it will make more of their older schools smaller, and it's bad for everyone outside of Forsyth as they are stuck with them in leagues they don't want.

Forsyth County should be ashamed honestly.. it should never have been this bad.

Hadn't heard that song in a while, thanks for making me think about high school again.

One of my favorite one hit wonder songs.. always makes me smile when 98.7 plays it every once in a while. It's like an inner meme between me and my friends when we see something loony happening lol.

That area is unreal.. Carver near the airport, Atkins near Kernersville, Walkertown in the rural part, then Prep in the old Atkins building. Against all odds Atkins has the more kids out of those 4 which should make no sense due to the magnet school designation, but they get all kinds of kids and have good turnout for Football every year despite never being a powerhouse. Carver loosing kids out the wazoo, Prep's very small, then Walkertown's the outlier. Hard to explain without being their and seeing it.

Walkertown has no reason for existing really.. no one really wanted it. Carver needed to be rebuilt and modernized but Forsyth wanted none of it. Carver should still be 3A with McKoy as the head coach right now. Same for North Forsyth being 2A they shouldn't be that low either. As Forsyth keeps building more schools it will make more of their older schools smaller, and it's bad for everyone outside of Forsyth as they are stuck with them in leagues they don't want.

Forsyth County should be ashamed honestly.. it should never have been this bad.

The next question... Will they do the same to Parkland by building a high school on Ebert Road... in between West Forsyth and Parkland?

Seems to be happening to a lot of the old powerhouses... Carver, Tville (hopefully back on the upswing but can't be sure), Lexington, Cummings, Andrews... I could go on but it's just sad.

Ok being the Head coach at a WSFC School the past 6 years before moving here is what is and has happened to several schools in Forsyth County that included Carver

Choice Transfer- say what you want it has killed schools like North Forsyth, Carver and in the near past Parkland, Glenn and RJR.

Too many schools- Yes no need for WS Prep or Walkertown. All of those kids should be at Carver. Atkins should not have athletics those kids should play for their home schools. Forsyth should have no more than 7 high schools.

Population shifts- East Winston has lost population and that too have hurt Carver, heck population shift has also hurt North Forsyth.

It is a terrible shame what has happened to Carver. The one time proud athletic program is in shambles I do not think any of their programs have had a winning record last year. I am not sure it can be revived. Even though places like Glenn, Parkland has bounced backed a little they have something Carver does not, kids in the hallway. If someone can fix it then they should win NC coach of the year but I just dont see it anytime soon

Ok being the Head coach at a WSFC School the past 6 years before moving here is what is and has happened to several schools in Forsyth County that included Carver

Choice Transfer- say what you want it has killed schools like North Forsyth, Carver and in the near past Parkland, Glenn and RJR.

Too many schools- Yes no need for WS Prep or Walkertown. All of those kids should be at Carver. Atkins should not have athletics those kids should play for their home schools. Forsyth should have no more than 7 high schools.

Population shifts- East Winston has lost population and that too have hurt Carver, heck population shift has also hurt North Forsyth.

It is a terrible shame what has happened to Carver. The one time proud athletic program is in shambles I do not think any of their programs have had a winning record last year. I am not sure it can be revived. Even though places like Glenn, Parkland has bounced backed a little they have something Carver does not, kids in the hallway. If someone can fix it then they should win NC coach of the year but I just dont see it anytime soon

The opening of Reagan hurt Mount Tabor and RJR, and then killed North Forsyth.
The opening of WS Prep slowly hurt RJR, North Forsyth, and Carver
The opening of Walkertown killed Carver, and has actually hurt East Forsyth & Glenn
The opening of Atkins hurt Carver, Glenn, and East Forsyth.

West Forsyth is the only school that really has not been hurt. WSFCS should be ashamed that Mount Tabor has to drop to 3A and has lost that conference rivalry with West, RJR, and Reagan.

The 3A label is less indicative since 4A and 1A have shrunk. 2A and 3A are artificially large. But, it does look like Tabor and some others are shrinking a bit.

2018-19 ADMs:
West Forsyth 2413
Reagan 2075
East Forsyth 1784
RJ Reynolds 1755
Mount Tabor 1555
Parkland 1517
Glenn 1484
Atkins 1019
North Forsyth 1014
Walkertown 725
Carver 582
WS Prep 201

Forsyth County is finally getting what they wanted. A depleted Carver. To hell with Forsyth County, I'd never raise my children there.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
In the next realignment it looks like Atkins is close to being a 3A School. Glenn could drop down to 3A. And Carver might be 1A. MT Tabor and Parkland go back to 4A. I like the Winston Salem area better than I do Charlotte, but that sucks.

In the next realignment it looks like Atkins is close to being a 3A School. Glenn could drop down to 3A. And Carver might be 1A. MT Tabor and Parkland go back to 4A. I like the Winston Salem area better than I do Charlotte, but that sucks.

That's if they don't go to 5A like they want to do.. if that happens who knows how they will consider schools then. I've seen a ton of different proposals.. hard to say.

I seen one proposed model that had 2A between 500-800 schools, if so Carver would stay 2A and not catch a break. They are a glutton for punishment.

Carver needs to be 1a. I'm not for the area, but I do find it strange as the continuous theme. All new schools have a larger affect on Carver than any other school smh. Sad

I know this thread is mostly about Carver athletics, but someone mentioned the Carver band. I was at the playoff game at Shelby vs Carver, Shelby won a pretty good game. Carver had a fast, hard nosed QB, but that band was amazing. I have been watching Shelby football for 50 years and have never seen a HS band that intertaining.When they finished their routine, the Shelby stands went nuts and gave them a standing ovation . It was special

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT