ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling forum.

Heard Robbinsville lost two wrestlers. I think they went to Alabama.

Reactions: UNC91
Yeah it sucks that one of the fastest growing sports can’t have it’s own forum. That stinks where they key wrestlers. NC has some studs. The Norris kid has been doing really good in some these National tournaments. Committed to App St.

Murphy lost a wrestler to Union County, he didn't play football last year but was back out this year and would have started both ways on the line, tough hit. Hoping he will transfer back next fall.

Norris has the potential to be a great heavyweight under John Mark. He is explosive and has a great re-attack.

How did the Robbinsville boys in the Gatlinburg tournament yesterday? I saw their Facebook posting they went.

Is there a site that lists individual state champions. I was working on a list of individual event state champions but nothing exists for wrestling.

Maybe some wrestling talk will bring BK out. The Avery/ Rville dual looked intense Monday night watching along on the Rville live feed. Carolina Takedown Talk was hyping up the 182 match between returning state champ Blackledge from Avery and freshman Williams from Rville as the beat 1a match in the state up to that point in the season.

I’m not to sure if the Avery kid want be at 170 when states come around. Williams might be the best 182 in NC 1a,2a,3a,and 4a.
Hard to say what Avery will do there. Their line-up is full from 126-182 with good wrestlers. Either they all cut a weight class if their decent plans will allow it or someone gets bumped to 182. They is still potential for a weight class jump to 195 but there is defending champ Kyle Fink from Robbinsville.

Maybe some wrestling talk will bring BK out. The Avery/ Rville dual looked intense Monday night watching along on the Rville live feed. Carolina Takedown Talk was hyping up the 182 match between returning state champ Blackledge from Avery and freshman Williams from Rville as the beat 1a match in the state up to that point in the season.
Williams (freshman) totally embarrassed the defending State Champion.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and UNC91
Williams (freshman) totally embarrassed the defending State Champion.
Williams isn’t your typical Freshman and the defending state champ is a sophomore that wrestled good in states last year. The Stewart kid from Robbinsville pinned him twice last year but lost to him at states. He will more than likely still be a 2 time state champion since he will be at 170 for states.

Regional tournament in Robbinsville Tuesday, anybody planning on being there?

Good Luck To All Wrestlers at Robbinsville Regionals.
MA Athletics Twitter @GraniteBears
IMPORTANT DATES FOR @GraniteBears
WRESTLING -1A West Regionals Tues June 15 at Robbinsville; 8:00 weigh-ins competition 9:00 $8.00 -1A State ‘ships Sat June 26
@Glenn HS; WI-9:30 Wrestle 11:00 (No Consolations) $10 GO......
I don't keep up with wrestling but posted this to help BK13 know some Bears would be there. Mount Airy is the 2021 NW 1A Wrestling Tournament Champs but I know nothing about how good they are.

Last edited:
Mt Airy has a solid wrestling program. They field a full team most of the time. This year their 145 and 152 both are highly ranked and should compete for a state title.

MA Athletics @GraniteBears
Congrats to @GraniteBears Wrestling on a big day (3rd team) in the 1A West Regionals; will send “6” to the 1A State finals: 4th Sao Lennon, Alex Cox /Edwin Agabo, Hope Horan, Regional ChampsFranklin Bennett/Connor Medvar ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Landmark achievement! Congrats to @GraniteBears
wrestling Hope Horan (106) who today became the 1st female in the history of MAHS to qualify for the State finals; awesome!
E39gDMbWQAEq9xO

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan and KW23
Kind of surprised the Fitch girl got beat in the East regional finals at 106. The freshman from Rosewood must be pretty tough.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and UNC91
Mt Airy has a solid wrestling program. They field a full team most of the time. This year their 145 and 152 both are highly ranked and should compete for a state title.
I didn't know girls were wrestling now. Did Hope Horan win over a male opponent ? I can remember back in the 1990s Mount Airy had a girl soccer player that was a punter on the boy's football team that did good, last name Manchester.

Reactions: UNC91 and KW23
I didn't know girls were wrestling now. Did Hope Horan win over a male opponent ? I can remember back in the 1990s Mount Airy had a girl soccer player that was a punter on the boy's football team that did good, last name Manchester.
Yes she finished 2nd in regionals. Got beat by Robbinsville kid 15-0 in the finals.She pinned Avery 106 in the semis to get to the finals. Since girls have started wrestling it’s one of the fastest growing sports right now.

Last edited:
Not all that unusual for girls to compete on boys teams. Up until pretty recently, most of the soccer teams in the SMC were coed ‘mens’ teams.

Great tournament yesterday. Avery had 12 qualifiers with 7 regional champs. Robbinsville had 7 qualifiers with 5 regional champs. Throw in Uwharrie Charter and Rosewood in the state tournament, team title might get a little more interesting than previous thought. Probably come down to Avery and Uwharrie on some head to head matches. Can Robbinsville slide past both for the win? Their studs are at different weights. My thoughts right now…

106 – Rosewood or Uwharrie

113 - Avery

120 – Rosewood

126 – Robbinsville

132 – Avery

138 – Lean Avery

145 – Mt. Airy

152 – Mt. Airy

160 – Toss Up

170 – Toss Up

182 – Robbinsville

195 – Robbinsville

220 – Lean Robbinsville

HWT - Avery

Toss ups can go Avery or Uwharrie, both 160 and 170 are too close to call.

Great tournament yesterday. Avery had 12 qualifiers with 7 regional champs. Robbinsville had 7 qualifiers with 5 regional champs. Throw in Uwharrie Charter and Rosewood in the state tournament, team title might get a little more interesting than previous thought. Probably come down to Avery and Uwharrie on some head to head matches. Can Robbinsville slide past both for the win? Their studs are at different weights. My thoughts right now…

106 – Rosewood or Uwharrie

113 - Avery

120 – Rosewood

126 – Robbinsville

132 – Avery

138 – Lean Avery

145 – Mt. Airy

152 – Mt. Airy

160 – Toss Up

170 – Toss Up

182 – Robbinsville

195 – Robbinsville

220 – Lean Robbinsville

HWT - Avery

Toss ups can go Avery or Uwharrie, both 160 and 170 are too close to call.
Yeah should be a good tournament at states especially with UWharrie and Rosewood qualifying so many for states. I could see Avery having 120,145,152,182,and 220 make the finals in your predictions.

Yeah should be a good tournament at states especially with UWharrie and Rosewood qualifying so many for states. I could see Avery having 120,145,152,182,and 220 make the finals in your predictions.
Yep very good change Avery in the finals at 120. The others very well could make it too. If they all make the finals than Avery will win Team Title fairly easy. They will have to go through the 1 seed from the east being runner ups. Probably why the 182 from Avery forfeited the 3rd place match. He wanted to be opposite of Williams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT