ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling forum.

Yep very good change Avery in the finals at 120. The others very well could make it too. If they all make the finals than Avery will win Team Title fairly easy. They will have to go through the 1 seed from the east being runner ups. Probably why the 182 from Avery forfeited the 3rd place match. He wanted to be opposite of Williams.
I believe your right on the 182. Really pulling for the Avery 120. His dad was state champion at Avery from back in the day. Not getting beat in the 1st round will be big with no consolations.

Reactions: UNC91
Not all that unusual for girls to compete on boys teams. Up until pretty recently, most of the soccer teams in the SMC were coed ‘mens’ teams.
For at least the last 10 years Mount Airy has Girls and Boys soccer teams. I think the Girls play in the spring and the boys in the fall. The boys have had soccer since sometime in the early 1990s.

Great tournament yesterday. Avery had 12 qualifiers with 7 regional champs. Robbinsville had 7 qualifiers with 5 regional champs. Throw in Uwharrie Charter and Rosewood in the state tournament, team title might get a little more interesting than previous thought. Probably come down to Avery and Uwharrie on some head to head matches. Can Robbinsville slide past both for the win? Their studs are at different weights. My thoughts right now…

106 – Rosewood or Uwharrie

113 - Avery

120 – Rosewood

126 – Robbinsville

132 – Avery

138 – Lean Avery

145 – Mt. Airy

152 – Mt. Airy

160 – Toss Up

170 – Toss Up

182 – Robbinsville

195 – Robbinsville

220 – Lean Robbinsville

HWT - Avery

Toss ups can go Avery or Uwharrie, both 160 and 170 are too close to call.
Didn't the girl from Mount Airy Hope Horan advance to the State finals or I took that from the MA Athletics Twitter I posted on post #35 above.
I was just wondering, I know nothing about wrestling and how the process of who moves on. It just caught my attention this year with it posted on football which is fine and a girl from Mount Airy was going to the regional finals.

@GraniteBears Landmark achievement! Congrats to @GraniteBears wrestling Hope Horan (106) who today became the 1st female in the history of MAHS to qualify for the State finals; awesome!

Last edited:
Didn't the girl from Mount Airy Hope Horan advance to the State finals or I took that from the MA Athletics Twitter I posted on post #35 above.
I was just wondering, I know nothing about wrestling and how the process of who moves on. It just caught my attention this year with it posted on football which is fine and a girl from Mount Airy was going to the regional finals.

@GraniteBears Landmark achievement! Congrats to @GraniteBears wrestling Hope Horan (106) who today became the 1st female in the history of MAHS to qualify for the State finals; awesome!
Yes, she made the tournament. I don’t expect her to make the finals but could get on the podium. Good chance she gets 4th.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
LOL, this is out of my league (understanding), I need to stick with football.
It’s not hard. You have a regional tournament 1st. In 1a you have just a West regional and a East regional. Top 4 in each region make it to the state tournament to decide who the state champion is. Whoever wins the region in the West goes against whoever finished 4th in the East and vice versa in 1a. 2a,3a,and 4a gets a little more difficult since you have 4 regional tournaments. 1a has a 8 man bracket the other classes have a 16 man bracket to decide a state champion after regionals.

It’s not hard. You have a regional tournament 1st. In 1a you have just a West regional and a East regional. Top 4 in each region make it to the state tournament to decide who the state champion is. Whoever wins the region in the West goes against whoever finished 4th in the East and vice versa in 1a. 2a,3a,and 4a gets a little more difficult since you have 4 regional tournaments. 1a has a 8 man bracket the other classes have a 16 man bracket to decide a state champion after regionals.
Does this take place in each weight group, a 1 thru 4th place finish ?

Reactions: BK13T-$
Does this take place in each weight group, a 1 thru 4th place finish ?
Yes in state placers go 1 to 4. The other 3 classes have 6 placers. I guess this year 2a,3a,and 4a will only have 4 since there are no consolation rounds. The losers in the semis in each class will wrestle to see who gets 3rd and 4th. So you better not get beat till the semis.

MA Athletics
@GraniteBears

congrats to
@GraniteBears
Ladies wrestling Hope Horan 113 lb A
@NCHSAA
Ladies Invitational runner-up

113A
1st Place - Reagan Riddick (First Flight)
Reagan Riddick (First Flight, 13-2) won by tech fall over Hope Horan (Mt Airy, 16-6) (TF-1.5 4:19 (15-0))
2nd Place - Hope Horan (Mt. Airy)

3rd Place - Ayonna McNeill (Westover)

4th Place - Jaylynne Esquivel (Cherokee)

Last edited:
Avery and Robbinsville just on another level in 1a wrestling. Avery puts 10 in the finals and finishes 4-6 to take team title. Robbinsville goes 5 for 5 in the finals and is the runner up.

A few surprises, my original pick and the winner.

106 – Rosewood or Uwharrie – Winner Robbinsville

113 – Avery – Winner South Davidson

120 – Rosewood – Winner Rosewood

126 – Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

132 – Avery – Winner Avery

138 – Lean Avery – Winner Avery

145 – Mt. Airy – Winner Allegany

152 – Mt. Airy – Winner Mt Airy

160 – Toss Up – Winner Avery

170 – Toss Up – Winner Bradford Prep

182 – Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

195 – Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

220 – Lean Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

HWT – Avery – Winner Avery

Reactions: SDfan84
A few surprises, my original pick and the winner.

106 – Rosewood or Uwharrie – Winner Robbinsville

113 – Avery – Winner South Davidson

120 – Rosewood – Winner Rosewood

126 – Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

132 – Avery – Winner Avery

138 – Lean Avery – Winner Avery

145 – Mt. Airy – Winner Allegany

152 – Mt. Airy – Winner Mt Airy

160 – Toss Up – Winner Avery

170 – Toss Up – Winner Bradford Prep

182 – Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

195 – Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

220 – Lean Robbinsville – Winner Robbinsville

HWT – Avery – Winner Avery
Avery, Robbinsville, Uwharrie Charter and Rosewood have been the class of 1A for a long time. With the new realignment there are a few quality programs that have competed in 2A well and won state titles or had individuals win 2A state titles that may add to the mix here. With that said, any team looking to win a state title will have to go through one of those four to do so, especially Avery the next few seasons.

Avery, Robbinsville, Uwharrie Charter and Rosewood have been the class of 1A for a long time. With the new realignment there are a few quality programs that have competed in 2A well and won state titles or had individuals win 2A state titles that may add to the mix here. With that said, any team looking to win a state title will have to go through one of those four to do so, especially Avery the next few seasons.
West regionals will be very interesting next year. Uwharrie goes to the West with the new realignment.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and UNC91
West regionals will be very interesting next year. Uwharrie goes to the West with the new realignment.
Rumor is uwharrie will stay east for wrestling. Too many teams in the east that actually have wrestling programs moved west. Supposedly leaving only 9 or 10 teams east and 30 some west. The state will have to address this issue some way. Needs to be closer to 50 percent split

Rumor is uwharrie will stay east for wrestling. Too many teams in the east that actually have wrestling programs moved west. Supposedly leaving only 9 or 10 teams east and 30 some west. The state will have to address this issue some way. Needs to be closer to 50 percent split
If that’s the case they definitely need to do something to even it up. A lot good kids would miss out on going to the state tournament if they are all in the West.

I think the gap between Robbinsville and Avery will be closer next this year.
Robbinsville returns 4 state champs and could win HW.

Might be a little closer but I don't think the outcome will change. Avery losing 12 points and Rville 6 with graduating seniors. Now 2022 season could be interesting. Avery and Rville both graduate a big part of their rosters.

I think the gap between Robbinsville and Avery will be closer next this year.
Robbinsville returns 4 state champs and could win HW.
Maybe Avery brings back 8 state finalist out the 10 and got few good 8th graders coming in.

I just hope we have all weight classes full next year. We rarely do though.

Reactions: Appvol
WOW!!!!! What a match by Steveson to win Gold. Down 8-5 to win 10-8.

Season just about a month away. @Appvol How's Avery looking? Hearing Robbinsville wrestling picked up a couple transfers. And it looks like Fink and Williams could be switching weights. Fink was down at 182 for the super32.

Season just about a month away. @Appvol How's Avery looking? Hearing Robbinsville wrestling picked up a couple transfers. And it looks like Fink and Williams could be switching weights. Fink was down at 182 for the super32.
Haven’t talked to my friend who sons wrestles. Shell committed to App St. Hopefully these kids get a normal season this year.

Haven’t talked to my friend who sons wrestles. Shell committed to App St. Hopefully these kids get a normal season this year.
I think it will be normal in terms of allowing schools to attend more events but things will get canceled and moved like we are seeing in football. The state won't have any special limits on the sport.

App gets the majority of in state recruits. Is the big heavyweight from Avery going to wrestle or play football in college?

App gets the majority of in state recruits. Is the big heavyweight from Avery going to wrestle or play football in college?
I think wrestling. He might be committed to a school but hasn’t went public yet.I hope they get to go to tournaments this year on weekends.

Day 1 for winter sports. Crazy to think football can last 6 more weeks for some. Well time to roll out the mats and start wrestling in my book.
There was many many years that this was the beginning Of exciting times around Mitchell high. Now not so much, but I will still make as many matches as I can to support the program. Hopefully they will turn it around and become players again.

Go Mountaineers

There was many many years that this was the beginning Of exciting times around Mitchell high. Now not so much, but I will still make as many matches as I can to support the program. Hopefully they will turn it around and become players again.

Go Mountaineers
Cant really sugar coat it Mitchell wrestling is not very good right now. I don't think they had anyone even make the state tournament last year.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Cant really sugar coat it Mitchell wrestling is not very good right now. I don't think they had anyone even make the state tournament last year.
I think first time in like 25 years or something. It was a crazy number.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Mhsneer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT