ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! New Bern Bears.

Gave away 2 points on a safety from a punt and a bad snap on a punt inside own 6 yard line. Bears have scored 30 points in 12 quarters.

Good luck to you. I doubt we match up well next year. A lot of seniors on this team.

Conley is just like Rose last year, all O. Hillside is the team to beat in the 4A East, in my opinion. Just held Southern Durham to 3 points.
Talking you guys conference - NB was never in consideration for the East IMO. Remember that Rose team made it to the finals. If SC goes west which I think will be the case Conley is the favorite IMO. Yes Hillside has a nice D but there o is probably not much better than Conley's D based on what I saw last night. Remember Southern gave up 55 2 weeks ago so I'm not calling that a great defense.

Last edited:
New Bern will be in much better shape next year, this year is all about improving and getting valuable playing experience.

Ayden-Grifton put up over 40 points on Conley. I saw AG play against West Craven week 1 and it was one of the worst offenses I've seen. Hillside has a new coach and a new offense, it will take time to learn it and gel, they will be fine come late October.

Hillside's D is big and physical, I think they could slow down the Conley QB; I'll travel to Greenville or Durham to see that match up.

Conley is just like Rose last year, all O. Hillside is the team to beat in the 4A East, in my opinion. Just held Southern Durham to 3 points.

I don't think Hillside is the team to beat in the east for a couple reason already mentioned (young team and new coach) and I don't think Southern Durham is what they have been in past ... From what I have seen so far this year

SD has a lot of work to do. I'm surprised how sloppy they have played this early in the season giving up 55 to Cardinal Gibbons - SMH

Agree to disagree. The coach isn't new to football, they'll be fine come November.

Southern Durham has athletes, you hold them to 3 points, you've got a pretty damn good D.

Who do you see as the favorites in the 4A east?

NBBears, you are right he isn't new, but he is new to those kids as he has been away for several years and those kids aren't familiar with him. As far as favorites ... Scotland (depending where they end up come playoff time), Conley, Cardinal Gibbons, Cape Fear (could finally make their move this year - QB is a stud) and 71st (even though they should of beaten Hoggard ... I think they would beat Hillside). These are a few I think that are better than Hillside right now. Hillside might move their way to the top as the season goes along, but they didn't blow out Southern nor the Bears (and you know that situation). Good wins, but they got a lot of transition from last year - coach and players. The season is young and I don't feel like the Hornets are one of the favorites right now.

When I say Hillside are 4A favorites, that is assuming Scotland goes West because they are state contenders regardless of east or west.

I've had this discussion with numerous folks on other sites so I'll do it here. You cannot judge Hillside/New Bern based on their games. They ALWAYS play close games. Eight games and one has been decided by 13+ points.

Gibbons barely beat Green Hope last night, needed a TD with under a minute to play to win. Conley gave up over 40 to Ayden-Grifton and almost lost to Southeast Raleigh, I love their QB but not their defense.

Cape Fear has played 3 opponents outside of the top 100 in the state. I'll wait to judge them after they play 71st and PF.

Greene for SD lit up Gibbons a few weeks ago almost passing for 400 yards. I'd be surprised if he had over 80-90 yards last night against Hillside and he had to throw at least 20 times.

NBBears, Conley reminds me a lot of the Rose team last year. They put up a lot of points while giving up a lot of points. I don't think they have the athletes Rose had last year, but they score in bunches. That Rose team played in the State championship last year. So according to you ... You will take Hillside over the rest of the field in the east? I don't see it and feel Hillside will make as far as the 2nd round or 3rd round ... right now. They are not even close to what they were a year ago. I think if Conley and Hillside were to play ... Conley wins. Do not sleep on Cape Fear. Yes they have beaten bad teams, but they have beaten them by a large margin and isn't that what good teams do? Hey, this is what is great about message boards.

4A East was a little watered down last year.

I'm not saying Hillside is the elite of the elite here, if SC goes West then the East is widddddddeeeeeeee open. Total crapshoot.

I think Hillside has a better coaching staff this year as far as X's and O's which makes a lot of difference.

I was high on Conley coming into this year but giving up over 40 to Ayden-Grifton really upset my stomach.

I hear ya on Cape Fear, look forward to those two match ups.

Great thoughts guys. I am not sold on CF either. Many people have been high on them for 3 years now and until they take that next step ..... Hillside has history on their side. Where I don't feel they are as strong as last season their is a winning history there that teams like DHC and CF don't have yet. Wide open is correct. The east will come down to which teams improve the most over the rest of the season. Even NB, who has had their struggles could make some noise if they clean things up and get some things worked out. As for now I think DHC, PF, 71ST, Hillside, CG would be the top 5 4A east teams. (If SC goes west)

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
I feel a lot better about New Bern than I did a few weeks ago. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot right now. With the way the east is right now, you never know.

If Scotland goes west again, it's going to be really, really fun to see what happens in November.

I don't know about Pine Forest who struggled with an improved Swett team and should of lost to a Hoggard team that can't stop anybody. Cape Fear and 71st will battle for the conference championship. Hillside will have tests in their own conference with Northern Durham (improved) and Gibbons. I agree with everybody else .... If Scotland goes west and the east will be wide open.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
we will find out all we need to know about hillside in a few days when the boyz from Greensboro show up.

Dudley is huge and will be a great test for Hillside. Dudley's QB who has committed to Virginia Tech will not play Friday due to being ejected in the Davie game last week.

Last edited:
It is amazing how the power floats from east to west and back and forth. Right now the west is so much stronger. I would put SC, Dudley, ND, Davie, CC, Brown, and maybe LN above the top team in the east.

I feel a lot better about New Bern than I did a few weeks ago. We're just shooting ourselves in the foot right now. With the way the east is right now, you never know.

If Scotland goes west again, it's going to be really, really fun to see what happens in November.

I expect you turn the tables tonight. I was going to go but now I have a funeral visitation I must go to. We scrimmaged NS in that Onslow scrimmage and they didn't move the ball on us. We scored 4 times I think it was so based on how they beat Jacksonville I think New Bern will get it going tonight. Good luck!!

I expect you turn the tables tonight. I was going to go but now I have a funeral visitation I must go to. We scrimmaged NS in that Onslow scrimmage and they didn't move the ball on us. We scored 4 times I think it was so based on how they beat Jacksonville I think New Bern will get it going tonight. Good luck!!
Got 2 win this 1 bears

Just saw that Jacksonville is up 21-0 in the 2nd qtr. Did not think this would happen.

NBBears, Conley reminds me a lot of the Rose team last year. They put up a lot of points while giving up a lot of points. I don't think they have the athletes Rose had last year, but they score in bunches. That Rose team played in the State championship last year. So according to you ... You will take Hillside over the rest of the field in the east? I don't see it and feel Hillside will make as far as the 2nd round or 3rd round ... right now. They are not even close to what they were a year ago. I think if Conley and Hillside were to play ... Conley wins. Do not sleep on Cape Fear. Yes they have beaten bad teams, but they have beaten them by a large margin and isn't that what good teams do? Hey, this is what is great about message boards.

Hillside giving Dudley all they can handle right now. Telling you, the Hornets are for real. They've opened up the playbook and have scored 26 on the Dudley D.

A big 4loss in a row, not a record yet.

@ ruleman, Glad you are taking joy in this. I hope it gives you some happiness in your life. Can I ask who your team is?

Cycles my friend. The Bears will be back! Take it to the bank! They've got some issues to deal with and some rebuilding to do, but the tables will turn in due time my friend. Save this post. Put it in your wallet. Never forget it.

Go Bears!

@ ruleman, Glad you are taking joy in this. I hope it gives you some happiness in your life. Can I ask who your team is?

Cycles my friend. The Bears will be back! Take it to the bank! They've got some issues to deal with and some rebuilding to do, but the tables will turn in due time my friend. Save this post. Put it in your wallet. Never forget it.

Go Bears!
hey we don't have anyone teams.we travel around the state of nc.and sc to the best games we can find. and we won't be in New Bern. We r from d Northeast.Where there is no good high school football.

hey we don't have anyone teams.we travel around the state of nc.and sc to the best games we can find. and we won't be in New Bern. We r from d Northeast.Where there is no good high school football.

Okie dokie. Fair enough. There has been some mighty good football played in the Bern over the last 10 years. Sorry you missed it. Give it a year or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT