ADVERTISEMENT

Would it be a good idea

I think that's a great idea. I'm sure the legislature wouldn't go for it since they only want kids to learn "reading, writing, and arithmetic(as old hag Virginia Foxx calls it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: sammyk
I’m not sure all what they teach in schools today. When I was in school we could take elective classes like Brick laying, Carpentry class, horticulture, auto mechanics and my 9th grade year I had health class where they let us go out and learn about hunting safety by letting shooting a shotgun. I would think it would be a good idea to have a couple weeks or so in PE class learning about officiating. But how times has times has change since when I was in school. JMO

Reactions: FormerDog38
I’m not sure all what they teach in schools today. When I was in school we could take elective classes like Brick laying, Carpentry class, horticulture, auto mechanics and my 9th grade year I had health class where they let us go out and learn about hunting safety by letting shooting a shotgun. I would think it would be a good idea to have a couple weeks or so in PE class learning about officiating. But how times has times has change since when I was in school. JMO
Where my son went to high school in TN they have welding. The county is getting ready to start a program where kids can get certified to work on Kubota and Heating and Air. They have auto body and mechanic at some of the high schools.

Most schools districts still offer many of the electives you listed.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I think you may get more interest in the colleges instead of high school. This way they can teach it and then also have a "PE class" or some other type of credit if they actually ref a season. So they would learn to ref different sports in the fall and take their exam and then come the season for that sport they would have to ref a season or "X" number of games.

The class could start with basketball (since it would be too late to start with fall sports) and by the time little league, rec ball, etc starts they could ref on that Saturday. This would allow them to learn before they started to ref high school.

Not sure if they still do but Cleveland Community College used to do officials classes. Seems like Frank Pullen taught them.

When I was in 9th grade at Page, our Athletic Director Rusty Lee was my PE teacher. For a few weeks of the semester we learned about officiating basketball and football. We learned the different types of violations, fouls/penalties, and the hand signals used for each penalty. We were made to officiate classmates while they played basketball for around 5-10 minutes, as well.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
When I was in 9th grade at Page, our Athletic Director Rusty Lee was my PE teacher. For a few weeks of the semester we learned about officiating basketball and football. We learned the different types of violations, fouls/penalties, and the hand signals used for each penalty. We were made to officiate classmates while they played basketball for around 5-10 minutes, as well.
Not long after I post my statement above I had put more thought into it. That is for HS students to get some basic fundamentals of officiating. Then at the end have students to play basketball and rotate them to where each one would have a chance to do some officiating. Then when they get to college they can get more in-depth of it.

Reactions: PagePirates44
Best way to make more coaches and more referees is simple. Break out the check book and give people more cash. Until then there will continue to be teaching shortages, Coaching shortages, and lastly Ref shortages. People can literally get a part time job at a gas station starting out at almost 20 dollars and hour. It's time for our leaders in local state government to quit all the bs political talk and put their money where there mouth is. I hear every Governor who runs talk about teachers getting pay Increases. If you go by what they say you would think teachers are being taken care of. Then you talk to teachers/coaches and some of them say they haven't had a pay increase in 10 years. Something has to change or our state will continue to lose great coaches and refs. In then end its going to hurt the student athletes.

I like the idea of offering this opportunity to college students better. Only a small portion of high school kids are 18. If they don’t use that training right away, it won’t be fresh, or up to date and it will all be for nothing.

Up the pay. Give them better ability to eject Participants and fans who display bad behavior. Train the booking agents to back them up when they do so. Train the site administrators to back up officials and not hang them out to dry.

The shortage is real. The NCHSAA and the schools need to acknowledge that and act accordingly.

Best way to make more coaches and more referees is simple. Break out the check book and give people more cash. Until then there will continue to be teaching shortages, Coaching shortages, and lastly Ref shortages. People can literally get a part time job at a gas station starting out at almost 20 dollars and hour. It's time for our leaders in local state government to quit all the bs political talk and put their money where there mouth is. I hear every Governor who runs talk about teachers getting pay Increases. If you go by what they say you would think teachers are being taken care of. Then you talk to teachers/coaches and some of them say they haven't had a pay increase in 10 years. Something has to change or our state will continue to lose great coaches and refs. In then end its going to hurt the student athletes.
Have to start with the voters. The minute taxes are increased to pay for this, you'll have people complaining.

Have to start with the voters. The minute taxes are increased to pay for this, you'll have people complaining.

Taxes don't have to be increased. States like NC just need to stop lowering the corporate tax rate to next to nothing so they can pay for education since we hear polticians shout everyday about how we aren't preparing people for the workforce. Seems counter productive doesn't it?

Last edited:
Field management class. Think the former baseball coach at Southern Lee had started that up.

Just curious but what is the youngest age can someone officiate youth league. Like minor, midget league ball. Then what age of HS level.

Taxes don't need to increase. Politicians need to put the insane amount of money they already Tax into the correct spaces and quit wasting. If the Government was a business they would've shut it down years ago.

Taxes don't need to increase. Politicians need to put the insane amount of money they already Tax into the correct spaces and quit wasting. If the Government was a business they would've shut it down years ago.
Well that's why businesses are businesses and governments are governments. You can't run them the same way. A business solely exist to make profit for their shareholders. A government exist to serve it's populations interest.

Now with that being said, you are the second person who told me that taxes don't need to be increased. And you mention that they're wasting the already taxed funds. You ask someone at one of these schools that don't care about sports and they'll tell you spending tax money on training refs in schools is a waste of money. It's all about how you get your message across. But truthfully sports don't actually matter for the vast majority of people. Many people may even say that sports should not be funded by the government and instead should be privatized. On the other hand it's vital for kids to learn math, critical thinking skills, language arts skills, etc. Especially in today's world where there's more competition than ever for good jobs.

Reactions: btango
In my opinion - until you make officiating a job/career all on it's own, the position will continue to suffer and see shortages. No one wants to leave their day jobs to be berated by parents, fans, players, and coaches for 2-3 hours. This would also help in weeding out the ones who are awful - there are currently no checks and balances among the officials community. You see it in college all the time - crews will just blatantly blow calls and they will be right back out there the next week to do it again somewhere else.

Until this happens - I don't think anything much will change on this front. We will continue to see shortages and there will be less and less young people who want to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT