ADVERTISEMENT

WNC Programs in Historical Prospective

bc11

Oct 14, 2002
This question was brought up a few days ago but then was addressed again after Robbinsville won yesterday. Where would you rank the top 10 programs in WNC from a historical prospective? Obviously what a program is doing now does not hurt but over time, where do the programs rank? And by WNC it was meant Polk County and West. So I guess the question is to rank the top 10 programs in order. Be interesting to see the responses. Obviously Robbinsville and Murphy would be at the top but how does the list shake out after that?

1) rville..and it's not close

2) Swain - I put them ahead of Murphy because they always play up and don't have an early college
3) Murphy
4) Reynolds
5) sylva Webster
6) Asheville
7) Pisgah
8) Franklin
9) Cherokee - if it wasn't for us in the 70s and early 80s they likely would have another 2 or 3 titles.
10) hendersonville

Robbinsville
Swain
Murphy
Reynolds
Asheville
Sylva Webster
Hendersonville
Owen
Pisgah
Tuscola

Reactions: Swain97
It shows how bad a couple of years really left a stench on Brevard's program. They are currently sitting at 497 wins and 245 loses for a 670 winning percentage. (4) State Championships and (21) conference championships and they are still not listed as one of WNC's top programs among some viewers. Again, goes to show what a few bad years can do to the view of the program.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
1) rville..and it's not close

2) Swain - I put them ahead of Murphy because they always play up and don't have an early college
3) Murphy
4) Reynolds
5) sylva Webster
6) Asheville
7) Pisgah
8) Franklin
9) Cherokee - if it wasn't for us in the 70s and early 80s they likely would have another 2 or 3 titles.
10) hendersonville
Cherokee? I don't think so..not even remotely

1) Robbinsville
2) Murphy
3) Swain
4) Reynolds
5) Asheville
6) Pisgah
7) Owen
8) Sylva- Webster
9) Hendersonville
10) Cherokee

It shows how bad a couple of years really left a stench on Brevard's program. They are currently sitting at 497 wins and 245 loses for a 670 winning percentage. (4) State Championships and (21) conference championships and they are still not listed as one of WNC's top programs among some viewers. Again, goes to show what a few bad years can do to the view of the program.

And they’ve even been to the third and fourth round the last two years. I was surprised to see nobody bring them up.

And they’ve even been to the third and fourth round the last two years. I was surprised to see nobody bring them up.
Classic example of "what have you done for me lately" especially with their record from about 2008-2015. They will be the second team in WNC history to eclipse 500 wins next year.

Brevard is definitely on my list. I posted my list on Carolina Preps. Anyone with half a brain and any amount of time watching football in WNC know Brevard is without a doubt top 10 all time in the mountains. At one time they were the premier team year in and year out and aside from directly after the retirement of Essenberg they have been a top tier program from the mountains. Brevard makes mountain football better

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT