ADVERTISEMENT

WMAC picks 10/13

BD Warrior

Sep 20, 2006
This weeks games...

TCR at Enka
West Henderson at North Henderson (Thursday)
North Buncombe at Tuscola
Asheville at Reynolds

My picks.....

Tcr 33 Enka 21......Enka shocked me by taking WH to overtime. Are they getting better? TCR has to be the best 1-7 team in the state.

WH 48 NH 14......West looked really solid but they are struggling right now. NH got whipped by NB. That is just bad.

Tuscola 42 NB 21....Tuscola is a good team but they seem to be in a downward spiral according to their fans on here. Still shocked NB beat any team like they did last weekend.

Asheville 24 ACR 21....Game of the year so far. I have seen both these teams play my Warriors and they both looked good. They seemed very even in most aspects. I think Asheville has slightly better receivers. ACR has the better qb and rb. Defensively I think they are a lot alike. Both have a stud on defense with Torres and Leota. The best part of this game is that my team Erwin is off and I will be able to come check it out. I think Reynolds will be the favorite but Asheville is hungry right now and playing great football. Upset?

ACR has a 21 game MAC win streak. If they win this one they might be able to reach 30 before it ends.

ACR has a 21 game MAC win streak. If they win this one they might be able to reach 30 before it ends.
I was wondering what that number was.
From 2002-2005 Asheville went 31-1 in the Mac and at one point had an 18 game Mac winning streak. Which is better than yalls 21 when you consider that during those 4 years we threw the ball a combined 8 times. Lol. Maybe we can end that streak this week, or maybe we will get our ass kicked. We'll see.....

That is impressive. Makes that OT loss to you guys last year suck even more. Damn we had you and screwed it up...Lol

Awful quite on here for the best two programs in WNC to be playing. I rather enjoy watching you two fan bases tear each other apart every year for a few weeks.

Congratulation to North Buncombe for ending that long losing streak.
TC -by 7
West by 14
Tuscola by 14
ACR-by 12

i think this game can go several different ways.all but one will lead to a rocket victory.if our pass defense isnt good and we have a ton of penalties asheville could win. we have to run the ball to make our passing more effective.i think we will take care of business though.acr 35 asheville 17 go green

i think this game can go several different ways.all but one will lead to a rocket victory.if our pass defense isnt good and we have a ton of penalties asheville could win. we have to run the ball to make our passing more effective.i think we will take care of business though.acr 35 asheville 17 go green
If three is on.. it’ll be a dog fight. If not. We’ll get blown out.

West beats North by a score of 15 - 0. Doesn't look good for West the rest of the way if you can only score 15 on a team that came into the game giving up over 46 points a game.

West beats North by a score of 15 - 0. Doesn't look good for West the rest of the way if you can only score 15 on a team that came into the game giving up over 46 points a game.

Wow!!! Seriously? That score stuns me!

Neither team looked very good from what I saw. It was hard to watch for the most part. The kids played hard on both sides but it just had no real flow to the game at all.

I thought that was what it was. Makes it hard with that many underclassmen on varsity.

Last edited:
Welp nothing to be said but ACR came to play, which effected how we played. Set the tone for the game. That goal line stop really hurt us.

ACR 35 Asheville 0 Final. Sounds like Reynolds defensive line dominated the game.

ACR 35 Asheville 0 Final. Sounds like Reynolds defensive line dominated the game.
Asheville had a 2nd and goal at the 1 when it was 7-0 and couldn't score. Reynolds then went 99 yards. That changed the whole momentum of the game. We had a 2nd and 15 on just about every position. Reynolds was very fundamentally sound and controlled the lines. We just aren't very good. I give credit to Reynolds for dominating the game but i didn't see anybody in particular that really stood out. A bunch of big rangy guys that are good tacklers. Not a good couple years to be a cougar and I don't really see much reason for optimism. Times are changing..... 2-3 more weeks to find out if we are going to the outer banks for our playoff game.

i agree the goal line stand and 99 yard drive pretty much set the tone for the game.ashevilles long snapper didnt help them much either.our defense bent a little but never broke.our short passing game was very effective as well i thought.i thinbk thet set up our running game and made it very effective. i was impressed with the arm strength of ashevilles qb. good luck the rest of the way to asheville. go green

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
i agree the goal line stand and 99 yard drive pretty much set the tone for the game.ashevilles long snapper didnt help them much either.our defense bent a little but never broke.our short passing game was very effective as well i thought.i thinbk thet set up our running game and made it very effective. i was impressed with the arm strength of ashevilles qb. good luck the rest of the way to asheville. go green
With three being a sophomore hopefully the next couple years we can get this game back to nail bitting. Good luck rest of the way ACR

I think the biggest difference was ACR's line play. I thought ACR was more physical up front and it showed last night.

Asheville had a 2nd and goal at the 1 when it was 7-0 and couldn't score. Reynolds then went 99 yards. That changed the whole momentum of the game. We had a 2nd and 15 on just about every position. Reynolds was very fundamentally sound and controlled the lines. We just aren't very good. I give credit to Reynolds for dominating the game but i didn't see anybody in particular that really stood out. A bunch of big rangy guys that are good tacklers. Not a good couple years to be a cougar and I don't really see much reason for optimism. Times are changing..... 2-3 more weeks to find out if we are going to the outer banks for our playoff game.

We can sugar coat and be nice because that's what our society demands, everyone gets a participation trophy... Or we can respect the one last fleeting arena of truth! Asheville was dominated, held to minus 60 yards rushing, as in negative -60 yards rushing. Shutout for the first time in 108 games. We didn't see anyone that particularly stood out either... Where was the big Asheville recruit? Did he play? ACR dominated special teams , O and D.Only bright spot I saw for the Cougs was Sophomore QB 3 had three great throws.

Last edited:
We can sugar coat and be nice because that's what our society demands, everyone gets a participation trophy... Or we can respect the one last fleeting arena of truth! Asheville was dominated, held to minus 60 yards rushing, as in negative -60 yards rushing. Shutout for the first time in 108 games. We didn't see anyone that particularly stood out either... Where was the big Asheville recruit? Did he play? ACR dominated special teams , O and D.Only bright spot I saw for the Cougs was Sophomore QB 3 had three great throws.
-9 rushing yards. Still impressive by ACR

-9 rushing yards. Still impressive by ACR
No it was -60 because if you look in all the stat manuals you will see that QB sacks (which ACR had 8 for -53 yards on the QB) as well as the first bad snap from center on the punt all count as rushing yards. The second punt was considered a blocked punt since the kicker kicked the ball while it was on the ground. So yeah it was -60 in all total. Asheville’s leading rusher for the game had 10 yards.

No it was -60 because if you look in all the stat manuals you will see that QB sacks (which ACR had 8 for -53 yards on the QB) as well as the first bad snap from center on the punt all count as rushing yards. The second punt was considered a blocked punt since the kicker kicked the ball while it was on the ground. So yeah it was -60 in all total. Asheville’s leading rusher for the game had 10 yards.
May have been. I was just going by the paper. That’s crazy

We have no legit running plays it’s like hey we are gonna give u the ball and u bounce around 5 yards in the backfield until you see a hole which works on most teams in the wmac but not acr and not against teams that make it to the 2nd , 3rd or 4th round playoff games , I felt like the deep passes were there all night , acr corners are suspect

I was at the that the Reynolds game and one thing I noticed was Asheville's qb has a very hard time seeing over the line and defense. He has to be about 5 5". I'm not bad mouthing him because he beat my team but most of that was just him throwing long passes and the receivers going up to get the ball. Being that short at qb has to be an issue

Reactions: Reynoldsrocks2
I was at the that the Reynolds game and one thing I noticed was Asheville's qb has a very hard time seeing over the line and defense. He has to be about 5 5". I'm not bad mouthing him because he beat my team but most of that was just him throwing long passes and the receivers going up to get the ball. Being that short at qb has to be an issue
Never posted that on here but me and the buddies have been said that since last year knowing he’ll be the starter. Hopefully he gets a growth spurt

Never posted that on here but me and the buddies have been said that since last year knowing he’ll be the starter. Hopefully he gets a growth spurt
His height clearly affects what he's capable of doing. He's got a great arm but he is very limited in the pocket.
One thing Asheville hasn't had in decades (if ever) is a true natural qb. We never have a guy who is 6 foot 2, 6 foot 3 is a qb and a qb only. I can't think of one player Asheville has ever had that was recruited as a qb

Michael Byrd was around 6'1, 6'2. He was a wb who just so happened to be athletic as well. Id Asheville would ran the spread with him, Butler and White. Wow. That offense would be impossible to defend

Reactions: AhsCougar1
Michael Byrd was around 6'1, 6'2. He was a wb who just so happened to be athletic as well. Id Asheville would ran the spread with him, Butler and White. Wow. That offense would be impossible to defend
Well we liked to keep Byrd under center 99 percent of the time unless it was 3rd and 63. I agree with you about Byrd butler and white in the spread. Averaged 40ppg running it up the middle every play.

He was a great qb, but he was never recruited as a qb. He was a great athlete playing qb who had a cannon.

Reactions: Champ_24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT