ADVERTISEMENT

Winston Salem Prep 1-2 @ Bishop McGuinness 3-0 12-4-14

Xman8balla

Oct 5, 2006
Charlotte NC
Many will Not care to hear about the matchup but it will be one of the big 1A Matchups of the year. Bishop McGuinness is missing one of there tall players due to injury. Bishop Is led by Spencer Wilson.
This post was edited on 12/4 9:02 AM by Xman8balla

McGuinness starting center/best big man is out until early February I heard, so I am not sure this will be that great a game. Mt. Airy vs. WSP might be interesting.

Originally posted by Xman8balla:
Many will Not care to hear about the matchup but it will be one of the big 1A Matchups of the year.
I know I've debated back and forth with you some this week, but my real issue was the sentiment that other, more traditional programs, just need to work harder then they can hang with these guys. At the end of the day, though, I'm still a hoops fan above all else, and I care about who's doing what around the state. I also appreciate the work you put in reporting.

Like Wise bro I love to hear others point of view I want you guys to speak your mind. I like to see the other side of things you guys know your basketball community at its core. I know the major teams and players that come out of it at the end of the season. Since I took the year off from coaching ms king asked me to help with the site and share my basketball knowledge. I still have no problem even with my resume hearing some one else thoughts about there program. I love the passion you all have and wish more posters to get on and talk about your programs win lose or draw. I want the teams and kids to get the right exposure.

This is also a doubleheader with the girls teams going at it as well, so much will be learned this evening with all four teams have State Title aspirations.

On the boys side, Bishop not having their big center hurts, but they've been able to plug that hole for now with one of their new guys on the roster this year. He's not as big or as polished, but he's still a big guy at 6'6/220, is pretty athletic and hits the glass very hard. That will still be a competitive game, if only because Prep doesn't have a soul who's going to stop the Wilson kid and Bishop has had a lot of success defending them the last couple seasons.

Girls game is probably the more interesting match-up though until the boys are all the way healthy. Bishop is still desperately searching for depth right now to help ease some of the pressure off their four upperclassmen. Those four have played really well (at least one player has scored 20+ in every game) and they've beaten some high quality 2A squads (North Wilkes, Wilkes Central), but they need help. Prep girls are deep, athletic and dominant right now. Probably the most serious threat to Bishops run that there's ever been. They beat down a pretty good Tabor squad over the holiday.

Dave,,,I'll be at both games and hate to say it but don't think that the girls game will be very close. Bishop has a terrific junior forward in Danielle Neiters who should be playing D1 someday. Her sister, Cameron, graduated last year and is playing at Harvard ( very smart family all around) but is out for the year with an injury. Other than that they have 3 very good shooters but get taken out of their game somewhat easily by strong physical guard play which is why they lost to High Point Andrews over the weekend. They have a super freshman guard coming off the bench but she's only 5-3. Even in all 3 wins to date (Wilkes Central, Davie County and North Wilkes) they have been destroyed on the boards. They do not match up with WS Prep or Atkins well at all either under the boards or on the perimeter.

The boys game could be much more interesting. Spencer Wilson is a terrific point guard and reminds me a little of Aaron Toomey (still the best high school player I've ever seen literally control the game and the officials as well). Like teams that play each other 3 or more times each year there's no much of an intimidation factor.

No Claytor, no problem for Prep girls. Absolutely demolished Bishop from start to finish. There will be more battles ahead between these two and Bishop did show some signs of life in the second half, so I'd expect things to get more interesting later in the year, as is usually the case when Bishop is trying to figure some things out (see: 2012). Prep was impressive though.

Boys game was interesting. Bishop shot it atrociously and Prep was about as advertised (athletic, but disorganized). This was the first time they've really missed Gardner as they got pounded on the glass. Healthy Bishop team is probably on the same plateau with these guys (and weren't far behind as it was). Prep's best player was hurt pretty good in the early moments (ankle sprain) and didn't come back.

Disorganized? but i thought they worked 365 on bball and had the smartest and best coaches who outworked everyone? lol ok my last snide comment about that. No doubt these two will be a force on the boys side and the state champ in the girls side.

All snarkiness aside, Prep does have 12 new players on their roster that have been called up from JV or via transfer, so they're still very much a work in progress (hence the disorganization).

Just about all of them can play to some degree, but there's not a standout, dominant player like they've had in spades in years past and they aren't real big either. They're a very beatable team, provided you don't get overwhelmed by their depth and speed.

Heard the WSP JV Boys team was incredible.

This post was edited on 12/5 2:31 PM by Dosso

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT