ADVERTISEMENT

Wilmington Football

portcity FB

Nov 8, 2004
There is a lot of excitement in the air in Wilmington as football season begins this week. Where Wilmington is not a hot bed of talent like Charlotte, Raleigh, and the Triad things are heading in the right direction. The numbers at all 4 highs schools are way up. Hoggard and Laney JV had to cut over 30 kids each this year. That means both schools will suit up over 60 kids on JV. Laneys varsity numbers are up as well and Hoggards numbers have been high the last 3 classes. Murray Middle school and Myrtle Grove Middle feed Ashley high school and there has been some good talent at those schools the past 2 seasons. Ashley will still be looking up for a few years but they have better talent coming through the system. In 2-4 years I can see Hoggard, Laney and NH being really good. This will make for some fun football in the port city.

Hoggard- Will be the team to beat this season. They have a very good QB and good speed at WR and RB. They have a good rotation on the O line and if healthy they will be able to run and throw. Jones at QB will burn you in the air and with his legs. He is a legitimate threat. The defense is replacing 3 LB’s but have some nice pieces. Jaxon King was all state at safety last season and looks to continue to be a turnover machine. Look for Davis Manning to be an all conference LB. The Jr is one of the strongest players on the team and has great instincts. Special teams should be solid. I look for Hoggard to be battle tested come playoff time and they will be a difficult team to beat.
NH- Will be projected 2nd in the conference but the Wildcats have struggled on offense this offseason. They have a new, untested QB and a lot of holes to fill. NH always reloads with athletic kids but that doesn’t always translate to all conference type players. NH should be very good on defense as they return most of their defense from last season that played really well at times. NH‘s biggest problem will be Laney kids not transferring. NH has lived on 5-6 quality Laney kids coming over each year. This has made a huge difference as many years NH was looking to be rebuilding but that changes with all the transfers.
Laney- I think Laney will have a shot to beat NH this season and take 2nd place in the conference. Laney has size and speed and it looks like coach Little was able to keep the kids at Laney. Laney will run the RPO and they have an adequate QB (Little)and a legit D1 level athlete(Powe) at WR. They have good speed at RB and plenty of size on the line. Laney should score points this season. Laney was typically solid on defense during the Yoman years but they were not very good last year. If they can shore up their defense they will be a threat to NH and WB. If Laney can keep their players they will be competing for the conference in a few years.
Ashley- There is still a lot of work to be done here but things are looking better. Ashley needs a coaching staff that can build some consistency. They do not need to beat everyone but they need to start competing with some of the better teams and they need to beat the teams they can beat. It is hard to change a culture and Ashley should have some talent to turn things around in the next 3 years.

There is a lot of excitement in the air in Wilmington as football season begins this week. Where Wilmington is not a hot bed of talent like Charlotte, Raleigh, and the Triad things are heading in the right direction. The numbers at all 4 highs schools are way up. Hoggard and Laney JV had to cut over 30 kids each this year. That means both schools will suit up over 60 kids on JV. Laneys varsity numbers are up as well and Hoggards numbers have been high the last 3 classes. Murray Middle school and Myrtle Grove Middle feed Ashley high school and there has been some good talent at those schools the past 2 seasons. Ashley will still be looking up for a few years but they have better talent coming through the system. In 2-4 years I can see Hoggard, Laney and NH being really good. This will make for some fun football in the port city.

Hoggard- Will be the team to beat this season. They have a very good QB and good speed at WR and RB. They have a good rotation on the O line and if healthy they will be able to run and throw. Jones at QB will burn you in the air and with his legs. He is a legitimate threat. The defense is replacing 3 LB’s but have some nice pieces. Jaxon King was all state at safety last season and looks to continue to be a turnover machine. Look for Davis Manning to be an all conference LB. The Jr is one of the strongest players on the team and has great instincts. Special teams should be solid. I look for Hoggard to be battle tested come playoff time and they will be a difficult team to beat.
NH- Will be projected 2nd in the conference but the Wildcats have struggled on offense this offseason. They have a new, untested QB and a lot of holes to fill. NH always reloads with athletic kids but that doesn’t always translate to all conference type players. NH should be very good on defense as they return most of their defense from last season that played really well at times. NH‘s biggest problem will be Laney kids not transferring. NH has lived on 5-6 quality Laney kids coming over each year. This has made a huge difference as many years NH was looking to be rebuilding but that changes with all the transfers.
Laney- I think Laney will have a shot to beat NH this season and take 2nd place in the conference. Laney has size and speed and it looks like coach Little was able to keep the kids at Laney. Laney will run the RPO and they have an adequate QB (Little)and a legit D1 level athlete(Powe) at WR. They have good speed at RB and plenty of size on the line. Laney should score points this season. Laney was typically solid on defense during the Yoman years but they were not very good last year. If they can shore up their defense they will be a threat to NH and WB. If Laney can keep their players they will be competing for the conference in a few years.
Ashley- There is still a lot of work to be done here but things are looking better. Ashley needs a coaching staff that can build some consistency. They do not need to beat everyone but they need to start competing with some of the better teams and they need to beat the teams they can beat. It is hard to change a culture and Ashley should have some talent to turn things around in the next 3 years.

New Hanover starting QB the kid from SW? He just transferred in? Big, strong with a good arm. Didnt do much at swo, dont think he will start at NH or lead tr them to 2nd???

New Hanover starting QB the kid from SW? He just transferred in? Big, strong with a good arm. Didnt do much at swo, dont think he will start at NH or lead tr them to 2nd???
I think NH will split time at QB between the kid from SWO and the head coaches son. Dimock is a very good tennis player and has good feet and can move well. NH has had a run of really good QB with Coleman, Walston, and Nixon. I don’t see either one of these guys playing like the names above. I think in a few weeks one of the two QB will probably separate themselves. We will see.

Reactions: UNC91
Now that we are at the mid point of the season I thought I would revisit my original post and see how things are looking.
Hoggard is 4-1 with a loss to WF. They have been inconsistent at times but they are the team to beat in the MEC. Hoggard has not faced a good passing team so the N. Brunswick and Laney games could be interesting. Hoggards run defense is very good and I do not see that being an issue in conference play. Hoggard should win out and be a high seed heading into the 4A playoffs.
NH- The Wildcats are in big trouble after losing to S. Brunswick this past weekend. They now play N. Brunswick today and then play Ashely on Saturday. That’s 3 games in 8 days. Then the matchup with Laney. NH could be dinged up a bit after those three games and I think they will be underdogs even at full strength. NH offense is stuck in the mud. They can’t throw the ball effectively and their run game is not dominant enough to overcome the lack of passing. I think Laney and Hoggard beat them and W. Brunswick probably will as well as the Trojans has a good offensive attack.
Laney- The Bucs are 5-0 and are climbing the polls fast. The have looked dominant so far this season. They have great numbers running the ball and passing it. The problem is they have played no one. ~Their SOS was 95 heading into week 6 out of 105 4A teams. Weak teams will make a good team look great and that has been true so far this year for Laney. The Bucs have put their best talent on offense. The defense is small and has good speed but the are not strong. I think Hoggard and WB will score a lot of points on Laney. I think Laney is the 2nd best team in the conference but WB could trip them up. I don’t think NH can score with Laney this season. Laney JV are loaded and are 5-0 and by far the best team in the conference. Again, if Laney can keep their players they will be competing for the conference title year in and year out.
Ashley- The Eagles are much improved. This team has 26 players on their varsity roster that are 9th and 10th graders. they have a nice RB and an athletic QB. They struggle throwing the ball and they wear down as many kids are goin both ways. They play hard and look different than they have in the past. They were up 16-14 to Laney after the 1st art and were moving the ball until fatigue set in.

Now that we are at the mid point of the season I thought I would revisit my original post and see how things are looking.
Hoggard is 4-1 with a loss to WF. They have been inconsistent at times but they are the team to beat in the MEC. Hoggard has not faced a good passing team so the N. Brunswick and Laney games could be interesting. Hoggards run defense is very good and I do not see that being an issue in conference play. Hoggard should win out and be a high seed heading into the 4A playoffs.
NH- The Wildcats are in big trouble after losing to S. Brunswick this past weekend. They now play N. Brunswick today and then play Ashely on Saturday. That’s 3 games in 8 days. Then the matchup with Laney. NH could be dinged up a bit after those three games and I think they will be underdogs even at full strength. NH offense is stuck in the mud. They can’t throw the ball effectively and their run game is not dominant enough to overcome the lack of passing. I think Laney and Hoggard beat them and W. Brunswick probably will as well as the Trojans has a good offensive attack.
Laney- The Bucs are 5-0 and are climbing the polls fast. The have looked dominant so far this season. They have great numbers running the ball and passing it. The problem is they have played no one. ~Their SOS was 95 heading into week 6 out of 105 4A teams. Weak teams will make a good team look great and that has been true so far this year for Laney. The Bucs have put their best talent on offense. The defense is small and has good speed but the are not strong. I think Hoggard and WB will score a lot of points on Laney. I think Laney is the 2nd best team in the conference but WB could trip them up. I don’t think NH can score with Laney this season. Laney JV are loaded and are 5-0 and by far the best team in the conference. Again, if Laney can keep their players they will be competing for the conference title year in and year out.
Ashley- The Eagles are much improved. This team has 26 players on their varsity roster that are 9th and 10th graders. they have a nice RB and an athletic QB. They struggle throwing the ball and they wear down as many kids are goin both ways. They play hard and look different than they have in the past. They were up 16-14 to Laney after the 1st art and were moving the ball until fatigue set in.

I will be in Carolina Beach October 15 will there be any interesting games close by.

I will be in Carolina Beach October 15 will there be any interesting games close by.
Hoggard hosts Ashley (This will be the closest game to you)
NH plays at Topsail
SB hosts Laney and NB hosts WB. These should be better games. The Laney - SB game will probably be the best.

Reactions: 84k
Hoggard hosts Ashley (This will be the closest game to you)
NH plays at Topsail
SB hosts Laney and NB hosts WB. These should be better games. The Laney - SB game will probably be the best.

I seen where Hoggard was playing Ashley I figured that would be a blowout.

I seen where Hoggard was playing Ashley I figured that would be a blowout.
Should be, but the two better games aren’t nearly as close. You could take the ferry to southport and watch SB vs Laney.

I wish I could explain where Port is wrong but it looks like he is spot on. Still hoping for some
mid season improvement from my Cats but the offense is struggling.

I wish I could explain where Port is wrong but it looks like he is spot on. Still hoping for some
mid season improvement from my Cats but the offense is struggling.
I watched the Wildcats play last night and they ran the ball ok but lack any explosiveness. The QBs missed wide open receivers all night and that’s the problem. If NH can throw it just a bit then it will open up their run game. The Soph RB is good but he isn’t the breakaway back that NH seems to always have. I don’t think NB run defense is great by any means but they are a gritty team. NH ran away from Grande most of the night and had some success. I think NH will improve but their ceiling isn’t high enough to earn a playoff spot this year.

Portcity has UNC Wilmington ever mentioned starting a football team?

I was told years ago something about the founders of UNCW (back then Wilmington College) being highly opposed to football. Think they donated a ton of land or money to the school with the agreement football would never be played. Not sure if true or just urban legend but Port may know.

Portcity has UNC Wilmington ever mentioned starting a football team?
Don’t get me started. It’s not on the radar and to be honest I don’t know what it will take. I think our AD is open to it but administration isn’t. UNCW would be able to draw really good talent from the eastern part of the state. The city would let them use Legion Stadium until a permanent location could be secured. Nice venue and could easily seat 10-12k with a little work. Wilmington loves football and would support the team.

Reactions: UNC91 and nepsy7
I take this article with a grain of salt. Much smaller schools with less populated area have football teams and they are doing well. Where the city limits aren’t huge numbers the metro area is over 400k. Plenty of people.

Coastal Carolina is in Conway SC
Elon is Burlington NC
Campbell is in Buies Creek NC
UNCP is in Pembroke NC
All must smaller than Wilmington

Reactions: nepsy7 and UNC91
I was told years ago something about the founders of UNCW (back then Wilmington College) being highly opposed to football. Think they donated a ton of land or money to the school with the agreement football would never be played. Not sure if true or just urban legend but Port may know.
Same story was told at Charlotte that founder Bonnie Cone hated football and had written into agreement never to have it. It was an urban legend so it wouldn't shock me if this is too. Would love to see UNCW get an FCS program. The beach and football? That alone would attract a ton of applicants.

Reactions: portcity FB
Coastal Carolina is in Conway SC
Elon is Burlington NC
Campbell is in Buies Creek NC
UNCP is in Pembroke NC
All must smaller than Wilmington
Battle of the Beach! Coastal Carolina vs UNC Wilmington. :) I could Market this and package it today. It would be standing room only. Golf tournament, and Deep sea fishing trip on Friday before the game. Annual event.

Last edited:
Battle of the Beach! Coastal Carolina vs UNC Wilmington. :) I could Market this and package it today. It would be standing room only. Golf tournament, and Deep sea fishing trip on Friday before the game. Annual event.
This is exactly why the community would be all in with UNCW football. There is no question the money could be raised locally if they would commit. I doubt the school would not be able to put a stadium on campus but there are plenty of options and good locations.

Off topic a little bit, but where are some good seafood restaurants in the Carolina Beach area.

• Haha
Off topic a little bit, but where are some good seafood restaurants in the Carolina Beach area.
My favorite for just food is Something Fishy. It doesnt have the atmosphere of some of the restaurants on the island but the food is awesome. On the island I like most but my favorite is Bowman and Michaels.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT