ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Association approve 5 classifications today?

NC needs 6 classifications. Get rid of this small /big crap. Put private and charters in their own classifications. NCHSAA fails every yr to do what’s best for high school football and the kids and coaches that are giving all their time to make hs football as good as if Is.

The schools have to vote it in! Uninformed people think the admin in Chapel Hill decides what will happen. The Board of Directors and the schools can get what they want but they have to work together.

I like five as I think non football sports are very competitive at four except for the non traditional (and some “traditional”) schools in 1A.

Here is something I know for fact. If the admin in Chapel Hill had their way it would be something different than four classifications. I can tell you they do not like eight football champions.

The schools have cried they want something different and when they get the chance to change it nothing happens. Nine years ago the NCHSAA admin recommended a football only alignment and a non football (all other sports) alignment. Schools would not go along. Football is different but hard to make a plan based solely on football when there close to twenty sports, Title 9 and financial obstacles to deal with.

Quit with the’ uniformed stuff”. Even the uniformed know there’s something wrong with the current system. I don’t know the answer but last I checked, I haven’t been payed to find it. We all know that 8 divisions isn’t the answer. We all know that charters shouldn’t be in the playoffs against traditionals. Other states have better solutions. Why doesn’t NC?

Quit with the’ uniformed stuff”. Even the uniformed know there’s something wrong with the current system. I don’t know the answer but last I checked, I haven’t been payed to find it. We all know that 8 divisions isn’t the answer. We all know that charters shouldn’t be in the playoffs against traditionals. Other states have better solutions. Why doesn’t NC?

Go speak to the your state rep that serves in the legislature and ask him his stance on charters. They are their darling and it is killing public education plus small school sports. Anyone with any insight knows the legislature can do what they want. They can even change conference memberships! Think that is BS. It has happened. Right now the charters are ”hands off” and when the NCHSAA and it’s members decide that is not the case Raleigh will most definitely speak.

You are right eight subclasses is not the answer. Whose idea was eight football champions? The coaches. Group of 1A coaches from the eastern part of the state had it brought to the 2000 winter board meeting. Implemented in 2001 for 1A. February 2002 football coaches association meeting voted to request for all classes.

Eight years ago the NCHSAA presented several options for the upcoming 2013 realignment. Three classes subdividing for all team sports, four classes, and five. There was also a separate football only alignment that was presented! When they discussed the three class option the football coaches complained about losing two championships. A football coach at the regional meeting I was attending stated he liked five classes because it narrowed the ADM gap but he would only support it if they continued to subdivide the classes which would have been ten state champions. This illustrates the battle and why I question whether 314 will vote for a change.

We all know that charters shouldn’t be in the playoffs against traditionals. Other states have better solutions. Why doesn’t NC?

What do the other states do with charters? A lot of states have separate classifications for privates or certain types of privates but charters are different. In NC state law mandates charters have the same access to extracurriculars as non charters.

You know the 5th classification could be a way to do something with the charter and private schools. Don't want to get my hopes up but just saying...

That's why I don't think charters will vote for a 5th classification.

Any school with 3% or more of total enrollment from outside the county move up 1 class. Alot of GA coaches wanted that to say district instead of county.

it would take a membership vote (414 schools) and a 3/4 vote for change to amend the rules of the association to do something with charters; by the way the laws of the land are the charters are grandfathered in and that’s why we see no moves as far as their own class; the entire membership has to push for it and no one is willing to step out to get it started; if they did-here comes Raleigh!

GA 3% rule is for all but its really for charters

I thought the stink in GA started with the private schools, especially from Atlanta and a few other metro areas, that were playing in the GHSAA. The state then went to the 3% rule for athletes living out of the county which seemed to be sufficient for those schools unless located in a large population county. The GHSA then included traditional schools. Out of county students are counted 2 to 1 for the multiplier. GA is currently transitioning to an attendance district plan instead of the county. There is one caveat in the rule, which I may misunderstand, but if a school is in the smallest classification (1A) the are not required to move up even if the multiplier pushes them over 1A numbers. If anyone knows someone in GA that is very in tune with the regulations please get some additional info.

With all that said, I do not see any wording about charter schools which fall under public school systems. The GA Legislature passed a law that charters must have some type of approval or reasoning for no approval from the local school system. GA has a huge amount of small counties and a lot of city school systems so it is a bit of a jumble.

I would really like the multiplier for NC based on a the geographical district for "traditional" schools, too. Issue with smaller schools, an elite player can flip the game and I think it needs to be even more restrictive for schools that have out of district students.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
GA has seven classes. Next alignment 1A will have a maximum of 525 students and 90 schools football playing schools. 1A has a private and public subclass. The GHSA pushed to return to a six classification system but accepted the membership's request to stay at seven.

NC needs 6 classifications. Get rid of this small /big crap. Put private and charters in their own classifications. NCHSAA fails every yr to do what’s best for high school football and the kids and coaches that are giving all their time to make hs football as good as if Is.

amen

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT