ADVERTISEMENT

Will North Lincoln replace west Caldwell in the SD7

Elincoln

Sep 12, 2014
Looking at the ADM numbers this looks like a possibility. I would love to see that happen. It would make a lot of sense. When is the next alignment?

Hibriten may very well go back down to 2A as well. I think the next realignment is in 2017 but I may be wrong.

Realignment starts with numbers this year I think. Usually you are well ahead of what actual numbers a school plays at for four years. I don't wish West Caldwell out but they are at little 3A numbers this year. North Lincoln would be perfect for the SD7. It would be Lincoln County vs Catawba County. It is a short Hwy16 drive for all sports and I like the people at North. Lincoln County folks are great host and they have always made good moonshine.

Speaking of ADMs we will sneak in at 2AA on this next alignment before the school across the road gets bigger over the next two years. At 980 we are 805 regular students on the Newton campus and 175 on the Discovery School campus across the road. That school will have more every year but will top out at 250 to 300. 75 to 125 students would put us in little 3A so we are going to make the 2AA cut again for these two years and four more years.

Originally posted by Godevilsgo:
Realignment starts with numbers this year I think. Usually you are well ahead of what actual numbers a school plays at for four years. I don't wish West Caldwell out but they are at little 3A numbers this year. North Lincoln would be perfect for the SD7. It would be Lincoln County vs Catawba County. It is a short Hwy16 drive for all sports and I like the people at North. Lincoln County folks are great host and they have always made good moonshine.

Speaking of ADMs we will sneak in at 2AA on this next alignment before the school across the road gets bigger over the next two years. At 980 we are 805 regular students on the Newton campus and 175 on the Discovery School campus across the road. That school will have more every year but will top out at 250 to 300. 75 to 125 students would put us in little 3A so we are going to make the 2AA cut again for these two years and four more years.
Next year's numbers will be used for realignment. And I don't see either North Lincoln coming in or West Caldwell leaving next year. Most of the time schools have to play out all 4 years. But in 2017, the two schools will probably trade classifications. Imagine Coach Beam going back to his old North Lincoln stomping grounds for a SD7 game. His brother coaches there now I believe.

Originally posted by burnsbulldogtweeter:

Next year's numbers will be used for realignment. And I don't see either North Lincoln coming in or West Caldwell leaving next year. Most of the time schools have to play out all 4 years. But in 2017, the two schools will probably trade classifications. Imagine Coach Beam going back to his old North Lincoln stomping grounds for a SD7 game. His brother coaches there now I believe.
That would be great for NL. Coach Beam's brother no longer coaches but he is an assistant principal at NL.

Later!

i dont know where people are getting there numbers but west caldwell is no where near a 3a school

Hopefully East Burke will be the 9th team in the SD 7 next fall. Time will tell.

According to the ADM I saw posted, I thought WC had over 1,000 students. That is 3A or very close.

West Caldwell 1070
Hibriten 988
East Burke 983
North Lincoln 971

This post was edited on 11/6 10:38 AM by marsgreen

True. West Caldwell has inched up the last few years and have numbers above 8 teams playing in 3A. Hibriten has declined slightly in attendence. I think there will be a hot debate at next realignment to get East Burke, Draughn, North Lincoln, or Hibriten in the SD7. It may be the best geographic conference in the state and a complete 2A level circumstance.

I have heard that too, but don't know anything about Draughn, I do think East Burke and draughn will not be in the same conference next year, we will know by December.

I just want to add I have nothing against W Caldwell and not calling for them to be kicked out at all with this thread. Just speculating on who would replace them if they maintain 3a numbers. I'd like to see NL in the conference because it could become a nice conference rivalry for us and the easy travel with better attendance would be a plus. Selfish reasons
3dgrin.r191677.gif

No offense taken.

West Caldwell is very close to moving up to the 3A classification. We have been one of the larger 2A schools for a while but one of the complicating factors is that we carry kids in our #s that live in our district and attend the Early College High School and Middle College HIgh School even though we dont have hardly any football players from there.

One question I have, does the state use ADM #s for re-alignment from a single year or is it an average over a period of time. I guess there are arguments you could make for both ways. We are definitely not a growing community and could easily be having a spike in enrollment that would decline from year to year.

It's one year, the year before realignment evaluation. My understanding is any child who would otherwise attend school at that school is counted which is what you state as well i.e. early college, etc...Newton has the same circumstances with 175 kids across the road at the Discovery School who come from every part of the county and they are counted for us. I have no problem with it, as the majority would attend Newton regardless or a private school in Catawba County. Newton-Conover manages all of the needs of the school so they count.

Btango will know if it is this years numbers alone.

It's one year, the year before realignment evaluation. My understanding is any child who would otherwise attend school at that school is counted which is what you state as well i.e. early college, etc...Newton has the same circumstances with 175 kids across the road at the Discovery School who come from every part of the county and they are counted for us. I have no problem with it, as the majority would attend Newton regardless or a private school in Catawba County. Newton-Conover manages all of the needs of the school so they count.

Btango will know if it is this years numbers alone.
GDG, I believe if the kids at the Discovery School participate in extra-curricular activities, they have to do so at N-C. Is that correct? I have a niece who attends Discovery School and plays in the N-C band, so I would assume the same for athletics. If that is the case, it wouldn't hurt N-C to count them as they are effectively NCHS students (although I do recognize from an athletic perspective, you are not very likely to get many from that school).

Correct Sly. Can't think of a football player, wrestler, basketball, or baseball player who has played in the last three or four years but a couple of soccer players have. It is a great school, if not the best in Catawba County. They have raised the bar in academics, not everyone is able to meet the demands. Those that do have no issues at the next level.

I will add it would be a great avenue to get high performing students who also wish to play at a school known for multiple successful sports programs. After all academics is the main focus, not classification for sports. They have succeeded in getting the best teachers who love the setting they are in without the standard issues most schools deal with on a daily basis. Each year the teachers go out to all the schools to recruit/market to the high achievers. All clubs and sports are open to Discovery High kids.

This is just a crazy rumor but one that could happen and it wouldn't suprise me in the least. Ive heard that East Burke may end up being a high 3AA or 4A once again within next 3 or 4 years and that Draugh will no longer exist and the old EB will be back to the old EB due to declining numbers in both schools making Draughn turn into a middle school and some George Hildebran area kids will end up going to Patton depending on how far down Hwy 18 they are.

Just rumor. Has to do with money and stuff like that and of course declining attendence. Makes sense I guess. Anyone got any info on this or heard same thing??

Yeah I would love for North Lincoln to be in SD7 too. That'll be killer. Heck, throw Hibriten out to Wilkes co area conf if they're numbers are going down. They were lined up with them before.

Take N. Lincoln to the SD-7 and Alex. Central to NW conference and give the NPC Kannapolis and Robinson. I'd be ok with that. Actually think those schools would be a better fit with the SD7 and NW conference

Thumbs up to Champ. I couldn't agree more. I mean I REALLY couldn't agree more. Be a good fit for ALL those schools. NW4a is were AC sat for so many years an that's were they'll end up. If my heard rumor holds true EB will be back with em not long from now. They'll prob stink again as a 4a school unless a Shatley an Debro kinda player comes along. Neither Draughn or EB either one is good at football at least not this year or next

Is it still a possibility they'll move North Lincoln back to 2a next year or will they really have to wait it out?

west caldwell numbers will be back to normal after this year this is one of the biggest senior classes in school history. just a thought isnt it crazy how west numbers are up and the football program is turning around and hibriten numbers are down and there program is on the decline makes you think a little was there once recruiting going on.

Yeah pretty much. Too bad Hibiriten didn't do more when they were loaded back in '10. I knew once they lost that West Rowan game they would never be back to that level again. Also too bad North Lincoln has to wait it out til 2017. Who really wants to wait that long, that's 3 more years of sport torture for them. One of the only bright spots is the track/cross country for them in this conf

Originally posted by Burkeforreal:
This is just a crazy rumor but one that could happen and it wouldn't suprise me in the least. Ive heard that East Burke may end up being a high 3AA or 4A once again within next 3 or 4 years and that Draugh will no longer exist and the old EB will be back to the old EB due to declining numbers in both schools making Draughn turn into a middle school and some George Hildebran area kids will end up going to Patton depending on how far down Hwy 18 they are.

Just rumor. Has to do with money and stuff like that and of course declining attendence. Makes sense I guess. Anyone got any info on this or heard same thing??

Yeah I would love for North Lincoln to be in SD7 too. That'll be killer. Heck, throw Hibriten out to Wilkes co area conf if they're numbers are going down. They were lined up with them before.
That would make tons of sense. I've always said Burke County should have only built one new school.

Originally posted by icardcav3:
west caldwell numbers will be back to normal after this year this is one of the biggest senior classes in school history. just a thought isnt it crazy how west numbers are up and the football program is turning around and hibriten numbers are down and there program is on the decline makes you think a little was there once recruiting going on.
Yea JV team going 9-1 and 6 players playing both ways who are 10th graders on varsity. Looks bad for HHS lol
This post was edited on 11/15 12:47 PM by HHSgoodFAN

Won't not want they teach English over there in gamewell?

I'll bet ya a big mac we win more than West

West has approved and they have a good coach now. I'm not gonna bash them I'm not in high school.

Beamer I will take that bet being west only lost 4 starters. I would say west will finish in the top 3 of there conference which is one of the toughest in the state.

like wolf said about west and the early college same has been for Hibriten. You get 150 kids going there and 2 kids run cross country. Doesn't seem right.

I checked with our AD and this years # don't have any bearing on the realignment process. It will be next years #s and it will be the 3 month ADM #s. We very well could be headed 3A but who knows what next year will hold.

Whatever it is I hope Hibriten and West will be back in the same Conf and black and blue will be the last game of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT