ADVERTISEMENT

Will Murphy coach David Gentry return?

I don't think this is a surprise to anyone..Id say he's got a bitter taste left in his mouth ..Also with the uncertainty of high school football this fall,now is not the time to leave a program in the hands of a rookie.

Reactions: btango
Hes just coming off a state title himself in 18 so i wouldnt think hes got a bad taste... he had a young team in 19 bu overall been on an historical run with 6 trips to the big show since 2010 ....breaking the state wins record at swain was a terriffic win for a young team....dogs look strong if the 2020 season gets played

Reactions: btango
Not a big shock. Hard to leave a team with that kind of talent in the locker room, especially if you still have some gas in the tank.

Hes just coming off a state title himself in 18 so i wouldnt think hes got a bad taste... he had a young team in 19 bu overall been on an historical run with 6 trips to the big show since 2010 ....breaking the state wins record at swain was a terriffic win for a young team....dogs look strong if the 2020 season gets played
Very true ...but being the competitor that he is,I can promise you Dee Walsh beating him 6 times in the last 6 years has not left a good taste in his mouth.

Reactions: KnightyKnight63
For the record I got Coach Gentry with 30 wins,12 losses and 1 tie vs Robbinsville since he came to Murphy 37 years ago......Gentry just shy of 75 % winning % against them........And Coach in my opinion has an excellent chance to post win No. 31 come fall....

Reactions: ncvol2381
For the record I got Coach Gentry with 30 wins,12 losses and 1 tie vs Robbinsville since he came to Murphy 37 years ago......Gentry just shy of 75 % winning % against them........And Coach in my opinion has an excellent chance to post win No. 31 come fall....
An excellent chance? Robbinsville returns the better quarterback, the better running back,the better offensive line , the better defensive line and 2 stud linebackers....all from a State Championship Team.
Not to mention the 2 horses moving up from JVs.

Reactions: BK13T-$
An excellent chance? Robbinsville returns the better quarterback, the better running back,the better offensive line , the better defensive line and 2 stud linebackers....all from a State Championship Team.
Not to mention the 2 horses moving up from JVs.
I really don't think you can say whether or not Robbinsville's line is better than a healthy Murphy line. That wasn't something the Knights or anyone else besides the team's Murphy scrimmaged saw last season. By the time Murphy played against Robbinsville they were down three starting lineman and a fourth starter was playing with a torn ACL.

Last edited:
Funny, what ever happened to congratulations you we better than us tonight good luck to you and see you in the playoffs! When Robbinsville beats Murphy/ we were not healthy, had to unhook 4 of our linemen from life support to get em dressed. We were down to our 6th grade quarterback and so on. The better team won twice this year.

That’ll put them to 2a numbers. Will they stay in smc? I’m not sure Andrews gives them more football talent

I’m not sure Andrews gives them more football talent
Not sure why/how you figure that. Andrews skill kids this year will be on par with anybody in the SMC and better than most of them. Not sure if you are aware but Andrews finished 4th in the state in the 4×100 meter relay with four sophomores the last time the state track meet championships were held, 2 or 3 of those kids play football and will be seniors this fall. Andrews also has an undefeated JV team coming up this year to supplement them. Andrews lack a true QB and the line (if Christenson and Rattler hadn't transferred to Baylor School and Robbinsville the line wouldnt be a problem either) otherwise they would be a legit contender in small 1A this year.

Andrews has some individual talent every year, just rarely enough as a whole to be competitive in 1A with only 200 kids in the school. There will be Andrews kids in every class that will 100% help a consolidated Cherokee County High if they don't end up in Robbinsville first.

Last edited:
Ive heard other will move to The Ville if the vote passes.
I'm sure they will, just like some HD kids will go to Copper Basin High instead too. I would say the first couple groups will resist quite a bit but eventually (10, 12, 15 years from now) most will end up going to Cherokee County High when the bad blood and hurt feelings are over.

Last edited:
Funny, what ever happened to congratulations you we better than us tonight good luck to you and see you in the playoffs! When Robbinsville beats Murphy/ we were not healthy, had to unhook 4 of our linemen from life support to get em dressed. We were down to our 6th grade quarterback and so on. The better team won twice this year.
Robbinsville were better last year, never said otherwise. The statement that was made that I was responding to was that Robbinsville's line will better THIS year and I'm saying don't be so sure if you're basing that off a beat up Murphy line last year. It wasn't meant as an excuse, just the fact of the situation, chill.

Reactions: Gentle Knight
Lets not forget, Robbinsville was down starting linebackers in both games and Anderson was on a bad ankle.Murphys best 4 lineman (Yousef, Rayburn, Posey,Satterfield) played against Robbinsville..Satterfield was hobbled.. Murphys big D1 lineman could do NOTHING with the Robbinsville lineman..Murphys best lineman (Rayburn) could do nothing to stop the Robbinsville lineman also. I can assure you if Murphys best 2 lineman could do nothing that there were no lineman sitting on the sidelines that would have had any success either..It was very clear who the better team was. The core of this team is coming back..Grown bad ass men.
Robbinsville line will be better this year than last..Mark it down

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
That’ll put them to 2a numbers. Will they stay in smc?
Depends, if they do a split 1A/2A conference with Cherokee County, Franklin and Smoky Mountain as the 2A schools it's very possible.

I hope not though, Cherokee County won't gain anything in terms of 2A playoff preparation playing Robbinsville basketball, Rosman football, Cherokee baseball, etc. etc. every year. I hope the Mountain Six is still around then and they can join that.

I don't want it to seem like Im enthusiastic about consolidation, I'm definitely not but the writing is on the wall and has been for some time and considering that's where my kids will probably end up going to high school if I stay in Cherokee County, then I better learn to accept it and the new reality of it.

Last edited:
Murphy will still win the conference..

Murphy
Franklin
Smoky
Tuscola
Pisgah
Erwin?
Enka?

Really not that much more traveling for Murphy

Murphy will still win the conference..

Murphy
Franklin
Smoky
Tuscola
Pisgah
Erwin?
Enka?

Really not that much more traveling for Murphy
Cherokee County
Brevard
East Henderson
Franklin
Hendersonville
Smoky
Tuscola

Pisgah will probably be 3A again in five years.

They aren't going to let it be called Murphy, Gentle lol. The super is from Andrews and the school board chairman is from Andrews, no chance in hell that happens. Heck call it Peachtree High, sounds better than Cherokee County to me. I'm guessing they go with Orange and White as the colors regardless of what they name it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Cherokee County
Brevard
East Henderson
Franklin
Hendersonville
Smoky
Tuscola

Pisgah will probably be 3A again in five years.

They aren't going to let it be called Murphy, Gentle lol. The super is from Andrews and the school board chairman is from Andrews, no chance in hell that happens. Heck call it Peachtree High, sounds better than Cherokee County to me. I'm guessing they go with Orange and White as the colors regardless of what they name it.

Cherokee County still wins that conference..
Where does the idea of orange and white come from?

Reactions: mbdfan
Cherokee County still wins that conference..
Where does the idea of orange and white come from?
Just a hunch, there's a large UT fan contingent here and orange isn't a color associated with Murphy, Andrews or Hiwassee Dam, so it makes a lot of sense on the surface.

Orange isn't a common color in WNC either, only other school in the mountains that uses it to my knowledge is Rosman. I'm not a UT fan but I would be good with orange and white, it's not that common and it looks good if done right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
Not knocking any schools color but the talk in Robbinsville for a while was how all the SMC schools had went to black uniforms..Needless to say,Knights fans were not happy!! Lol...I could really care less.

Reactions: mbdfan
Depends, if they do a split 1A/2A conference with Cherokee County, Franklin and Smoky Mountain as the 2A schools it's very possible.

I hope not though, Cherokee County won't gain anything in terms of 2A playoff preparation playing Robbinsville basketball, Rosman football, Cherokee baseball, etc. etc. every year. I hope the Mountain Six is still around then and they can join that.

I don't want it to seem like Im enthusiastic about consolidation, I'm definitely not but the writing is on the wall and has been for some time and considering that's where my kids will probably end up going to high school if I stay in Cherokee County, then I better learn to accept it and the new reality of it.

they could end up like slyva Webster, football at smoky mountain is nowhere near as special. To me Murphy is one of the special places in all N.C. to see a game.

I’m not sure they win a 2a conference as frequently as they’ve won the smc. Also, losing Gentry and then consolidating will be two big hurdles. With consolidation comes growing pains. We saw it at Mitchell high where Harris high had a good football program it took Mitchell 6 years and 3 coaches to get to winning some games. Slyva Webster dropped off quite a bit when they became smoky mountain and Babe retired.

they could end up like slyva Webster, football at smoky mountain is nowhere near as special. To me Murphy is one of the special places in all N.C. to see a game.
I agree with all of that, I have worried about a consolidated football program being less than the sum of it's parts. It make take time to get it right, a lot will depend on the coaching staff decisions.

Reactions: Mhsneer
I agree with all of that, I have worried about a consolidated football program being less than the sum of it's parts. It make take time to get it right, a lot will depend on the coaching staff decisions.

Heard one of the school board members resigned yesterday. He was living in GA but was trying to serve on the school board.

Anyone know if this is true or not???

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Heard one of the school board members resigned yesterday. He was living in GA but was trying to serve on the school board.

Anyone know if this is true or not???

I saw some comments on WKRK to that effect, but couldn’t actually watch the meeting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT