ADVERTISEMENT

Will Grier- Florida Gators

Godevilsgo

Aug 24, 2013
i thought I would post this here. How did he do? Can he win the starting QB slot? Can he lead The Gators back to a contender? Or will Treon Harris prevail?

Reactions: RedRaiderhood
If history proves true he eventually rides the bench in obscurity as most high profile NC recruits do when they leave the state.

Way to go high school coaches.

Yeah...it was a terrible move for DJ Humphries to go down there. He was only a first round draft choice. Marquez North seems to be struggling at Tennessee as well. Started as a freshman. Gurley had a rough go of it at Georgia...another first round draft pick. Bullard is making little impact at Florida- Pre-season all SEC. Pharoah Cooper is the entire offense at South Carolina.

It depends on the kid and the program. They could stayed home and played for Fedora like Hood, that has played out well..

Reactions: Chopper747
The other list is a lot longer. NC kids should stay home. That's how those other schools got good, keeping the talent at home.

Like I said, staying home has worked out well for Logan and Hood. UNC needs to get their act together or they will continue to not only lose kids out of state but will continue to fall behind Duke, NC state and ECU

Not sure what the bet would be. If he stayed home he would be in roughly the same spot he is now. He wasn't gonna beat out Williams or Trubisky, not gonna beat out Brissett. Doubt he beats out Sirk and I am not sure he would have had the grades fro Duke anyhow.

His decision to go to Florida may be questionable as they certainly have their own issues but staying home wouldn't have changed his status much.

Then of course their is the difference between playing in Gainesville versus Chapel Hill or Raliegh. No comparison. If your Heels have another game like Thursday they will be lucky to have 10K in that place.

The advantages of staying home is so great and far beyond the scope of football. The inability to recognize this is what sends these kids out of state.

i think they should go wherever they want to go. I do agree if you do not make it in the NFL and you plan to live in NC you will make better relationships playing in state.

I think he may have ended up the starter before the end of the season if things do not change quick at UNC.

There is a list that have had great success out of state and others that have not lived up to expectation at in state schools.

tango everyone that goes to college to play has delusions of the NFL. The vast majority however do not and that is why they should go to school in state. Relationships.

these guys listen to their coaches a lot and their coaches have the same doughy eyes for the SEC that their kids have instead of directing them to stay at home.

Again I am not saying they should all go to UNC. You have Div 1 Charlotte, App St, Wake, Duke, UNC, State and ECU. More than one of which would be a better school than any SEC school they could dream of.

NC football sucking is on these High School coaches sending these guys to the SEC and keeping the high school football in the dark ages by not changing rules that are within their control.

you want to guess who is going to get the benefit of the doubt out of Harris from Booker T Washington in Miami and Grier from Davidson?

Whatever advise this kid got about going to UF I hope it was worth it $$ because he is going to be behind the 8 ball down there. The Gators will be $hoping at Booker T a lot more often then they will in NC.

In state schools fail to show consistency to compete at the highest level. Why not encourage an 18 year old to go see the world. There is more to the world than just the state of North Carolina. How can a kid like Humphries (mallard creek) turn down a florida offer, it turned out to be good for him as he was the 1st round pick for the Arizona Cardinals. How can a kid like Kalambayi (butler) turn down a Stanford offer with the academic and athletic opportunities are endless. It is their life so they may do as they wish. Last time I checked they were the ones that put the hard work in to be offered full rides.

for the reasons we just stated. the programs don't show the "consistency" because these high school coaches are sending their best kids out of state. Humphries would have went # 1 at wake as evidenced by their corner that went #1 this year.

$$$

Stanford I can understand to a point but North Carolina has some high academics as well in Duke Wake and UNC. Again if they start staying at home you would not have the consistency excuse.

The SEC pays better, plain and simple. to the players and high school coaches.

What I am saying is that is it such a bad thing if a teenage boy wants to experience something else in the world outside of NC? Like it or not there are better college football experiences around the country than in this state. Playing in "the swamp" that seats probably close to 100,000 is a whole lot more exciting than playing on a saturday in Winston Salem.

UNC is going through some things right now off the field, Wake just stinks, half of the kids can't get into duke due to grades...

And the SEC is proven to be the toughest conference. Top athletes want to compete against other top athletes, in practice every day and in games in front of 100,000.

the atmospheres and winning will change when the coaches quick taking the money and send them to the state schools.

Not true. Players go where they and their families decide. Butler has sent players to wake, app state, Charlotte, and unc. They also have sent players to Notre Dame, Michigan, ball state, Auburn, tennessee, UGA, Stanford, Virgina Tech, etc. Some stay home, some leave.

The ACC sends tons of players to the NFL 2nd most of any conference in most years and it would probably be 1st if the NC high school coaches would stop sending the kids to the SEC

Yes you are right Kalambayi could have gotten into duke but his last season at butler was 2012, meaning he was heavily recruited by the top programs around the country around 2010-2011. You know what Stanford was doing at that time? beating Oregon and USC. Duke? Nah they weren't doing that on the field. He got the best of both worlds at Stanford.

and they got stomped by northwestern lol

hope Stanford got the family jobs out there so they could watch him play.

Well Im sure he loves it there and he starts lol. As long as he is happy can you blame him? What 20 year old wouldn't live in California for free? Maybe its because Im from Cali but oh well lol.

Florida has sucked for a while now. what Championship did Humphries play for? The same one that Grier will play for?

With FSU rolling if the U hires a real coach at the end of the year the Gators will be gator bait for the next 15 years. South Carolina is returning to, well, South Carolina and Georgia hasn't won anything of meaning since Reagan's first term.

But Hey, the SEC is where its at.

Well Harris was announced as the starter so Grier won't be playing for anything. and BTW, Grier's father is his HS coach so his situation is a little unique. There are success stories leaving the state and there are failures.

If the U doesn't let other schools recruit their city successfully and they make sure they all stay home Miami is top 10 in the BCS every year. Miami is the most talented city in America when it comes to skill players at the HS level.

Harris is the starter for obvious reasons that I sated earlier. His father the coach knows this as well as I do.

The U gets most of those kids. They are loaded. the right coach would have them in the top 5 tomorrow.

Florida has a history lately of the 2nd string QB leaving for other programs. I think Florida knows Grier will remain if not starting, or so they think. Grier's father and mother will not let a highly recruited kid sit very long.

Grier's brother Nash is famous for Vine videos and moved to Los Angeles at 16 to pursue a acting career. I know with advertising endorsements he has made a lot of money. If I am not mistaken he will be appearing on Dancing With The Stars soon. He appeared in a movie not long ago.

Florida played a horrible Utah State team this weekend. I think their record was 5-32 over the last 4 seasons. When Florida gets to SEC play we will see how each QB does.

you want to guess who is going to get the benefit of the doubt out of Harris from Booker T Washington in Miami and Grier from Davidson?

Whatever advise this kid got about going to UF I hope it was worth it $$ because he is going to be behind the 8 ball down there. The Gators will be $hoping at Booker T a lot more often then they will in NC.

High school coaches don't send kids to big school. Big schools recruit the kids. Branding and winning recruits kids. Texas, Florida, California, Georgia, Ohio, and Alabama are big football states. When you get recruited highly knowing you are competing with these states I think it bodes well.

The Florida coach said Saturday on national TV the starter was yet to be determined. Wonder why the change so quickly? Like I said earlier- Grier's parents will not let him sit behind Harris for three years. Bank it.

Why u ask? See my previous post on the subject.

Without looking I bet Florida is recruiting booker t this year and not Davidson.

Why u ask? See my previous post on the subject.

Without looking I bet Florida is recruiting booker t this year and not Davidson.
Florida never recruited Davidson Day. Grier's father took the kid across the country to be seen Kool Aid? Damn put that helmet back on that soft spot on your head. Don't you have some cross dressing to do tonight Heels?

Last edited:
for the most part these guys go where their coach sends them.

Can you provide some evidence on this.

I have seen seniors from the same class go to Illinois, VA Tech (2), and Notre Dame. The previous seasons and subsequent seasons were UNC, Michigan, Tennessee, Georgia, App State, Texas Tech, and ECU.

Another school sent players to Duke, Georgia, Florida, UNC, Wake, NC State, Virginia, ECU, South Carolina, and Maryland if a few years time with only Georgia getting more than one.

Mallard Creek has sent players to numerous schools, as far away as Minnesota and Florida but also to NC State and UNC.

I think family and "adverisers" sways the players more than coaches. Know of a situation right now where the coach recommended he stay in state or at least the Carolinas but he has opted for a Big Ten school.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT