ADVERTISEMENT

Will anyone take them out in 2017?

Can you go to the MIC'S library and post a copy of the lottery drawing from this past lottery? I think that would clear everything up for folks. Show them that the lottery is on the up and up.

No one needs to clear things up. MICS is a nontraditional charter school that has a winning football team. These guys have predicted and feared a charter being good in football for years. Now it's here and the witch hunt has been on every since. How about you try to get information on every other charter school lottery in NC. Let me guess it's no need because they're not good in football.

No one needs to clear things up. MICS is a nontraditional charter school that has a winning football team. These guys have predicted and feared a charter being good in football for years. Now it's here and the witch hunt has been on every since. How about you try to get information on every other charter school lottery in NC. Let me guess it's no need because they're not good in football.
Gunz I am not so sure everyone is coming down on MICS specifically. Heck I don't know where it is. The only time ever heard about the school was reading the boards. And yes just because of football. Only time you hear about WS Prep is during basketball.

Most complaints about the charters/privates are sport specific. Think it comes down to the edge, either real or perceived, that is associated with such schools.

Whenever a supporter of charter/private schools is confronted by a public school supporter on "how did Billy get in so quickly at a filled to capacity institution?" the company line used is always "the lottery". I know students come and go at such places on the whims of both students and parents.

But the success rate of winning these lotteries, at all charters not just MICS, has led to the animosity often expressed on HS forums. I personally would like to see the lottery numbers for all the charters whether they have a football team or not. Think it would be an interesting read.

I also think the new NCHSAA transfer rule, without the 365, will make a lot of the complaints against charters moot, yes that is the correct spelling, points. Heck that rule may turn a lot of HS, especially in metro areas, into new kinds of magnet schools for athletics. There may end up being "super teams" like the NBA if athletes get together and decide to all go to one HS.

The next few years may be very interesting in NC.

Thank goodness my youngest is a senior this year.

Gunz I am not so sure everyone is coming down on MICS specifically. Heck I don't know where it is. The only time ever heard about the school was reading the boards. And yes just because of football. Only time you hear about WS Prep is during basketball.

Most complaints about the charters/privates are sport specific. Think it comes down to the edge, either real or perceived, that is associated with such schools.

Whenever a supporter of charter/private schools is confronted by a public school supporter on "how did Billy get in so quickly at a filled to capacity institution?" the company line used is always "the lottery". I know students come and go at such places on the whims of both students and parents.

But the success rate of winning these lotteries, at all charters not just MICS, has led to the animosity often expressed on HS forums. I personally would like to see the lottery numbers for all the charters whether they have a football team or not. Think it would be an interesting read.

I also think the new NCHSAA transfer rule, without the 365, will make a lot of the complaints against charters moot, yes that is the correct spelling, points. Heck that rule may turn a lot of HS, especially in metro areas, into new kinds of magnet schools for athletics. There may end up being "super teams" like the NBA if athletes get together and decide to all go to one HS.

The next few years may be very interesting in NC.

Thank goodness my youngest is a senior this year.

The undertone is the dislike for charters or nontraditional schools. As I mentioned before the teams that win in sports become the targets.

The undertone is the dislike for charters or nontraditional schools. As I mentioned before the teams that win in sports become the targets.
In my neck of the woods it was more that the charter school was cherry picking players from local HS to fill out their teams. In the beginning no 365 sit, then later I know of a few who sat for the year. Then there were rumors, from reliable sources, of overzealous supporters showing up at middle school games promoting the charter to 8th graders so they could avoid the 365 by entering charter in 9th grade. Now like I have said new NCHSAA rule does away with that in latest rule changes.

In our area I do not think it is a "dislike" born due to the school's success in sports. More of a distrust of the secrecy involved in the lottery system as well as the above mentioned "recruiting". From here on out, with the new rule, many high school coaches may be showing up at 8th grade games in the future. I hope not but if it comes down to a man's job rests on his ability to either attract or keep athletes at the school then it would be hard to blame him.

In my neck of the woods it was more that the charter school was cherry picking players from local HS to fill out their teams. In the beginning no 365 sit, then later I know of a few who sat for the year. Then there were rumors, from reliable sources, of overzealous supporters showing up at middle school games promoting the charter to 8th graders so they could avoid the 365 by entering charter in 9th grade. Now like I have said new NCHSAA rule does away with that in latest rule changes.

In our area I do not think it is a "dislike" born due to the school's success in sports. More of a distrust of the secrecy involved in the lottery system as well as the above mentioned "recruiting". From here on out, with the new rule, many high school coaches may be showing up at 8th grade games in the future. I hope not but if it comes down to a man's job rests on his ability to either attract or keep athletes at the school then it would be hard to blame him.

Kidd, did a successful Randolph county coach retire and go to Charter to coach? I seem remember a lot of animosity in that area and the charter school. Seems he was a baseball coach. Do they even field a football team?

Kidd, did a successful Randolph county coach retire and go to Charter to coach? I seem remember a lot of animosity in that area and the charter school. Seems he was a baseball coach. Do they even field a football team?
Well...

The baseball coach was at the orange school before.
Now he is the Director of Student Services/Athletic Director and Baseball Coach at the charter.

No, as of now, they do not yet field a football team.

Charters do present a threat in regards to cherry picking, not so much on the coaches end but the family end. With the new rule this is no longer a advantage. Charters give family options right or wrong. Some people are intimidated by it on the athletic side that's why you see the "dislike" for it. Charters are not perfect like any other school but it creates a educational option for families. Do some families make athletic decisions? Absolutely, but it's more that benefit on the academic side than the athletic side. We as high school sports fans will always highlight the athletic advantages. The academic advantages far outweigh the athletic side this is why we will continue to to see charters grow.

Last edited:
Charters do present a threat in regards to cherry picking, not so much on the coaches end but the family end. With the new rule this is no longer a advantage. Charters give family options right or wrong. Some people are intimidated by it on the athletic side that's why you see the "dislike" for it. Charters are not perfect like any other school but it creates a educational option for families. Do some families make athletic decisions? Absolutely, but it's more that benefit on the academic side than the athletic side. We as high school sports fans will always highlight the athletic advantages. The academic advantages far outweigh the athletic side this is why we will continue to to see charters grow.

OK this thread ended up going where all of them do when a charter is involved in the conversation. Guess I can't help myself because I do end up reading and often contributing my opinion to the topic. I try to be reasonable to both sides as everyone is entitled I guess.

I attended traditional public HS, as did my parents and wife. My 3 children have gone to public HS and youngest will be a senior this year. My wife taught in the public system for 30 years. While traditional ways of teaching are not perfect for every child's rate of learning I think the benefits included in such prepare young people for the harshness of the real world. My 3 children have learned how to cope with all aspects of a cross section of society. They have had good teachers as well as some not as adept at the profession. Luckily for me, and thanks to their mother, all 3 have excelled academically.

The recent Kestral Heights investigation cast a shadow on the academics for charters. Not sure when they will be able to recover in the public eye. The one I am most familiar with even had on their employment page at one time that they "would like for teachers to be licensed". Not require just like. That makes all us outsiders question the advantages people espouse about a charter education.

There have been several misuse / mismanagment of fund issues along with educational progress concerns with more than a few charter schools. The biggest issue I see is the oversight may not be as indepth as needed. Some charters are magnificient in educating the students while others seem to be more for show. I will be the first to agree that education is not always only about the books but that must be the fundamental base of any school.

There have been several misuse / mismanagment of fund issues along with educational progress concerns with more than a few charter schools. The biggest issue I see is the oversight may not be as indepth as needed. Some charters are magnificient in educating the students while others seem to be more for show. I will be the first to agree that education is not always only about the books but that must be the fundamental base of any school.

btango you are correct and because it's a charter it gets put under a microscope even more. Rightfully so but let's not pretend that this doesn't happen across the board. Let's not group all charters together and make it a general assumption that all are engaging in this type of behavior. Not saying that you did in your post. Nothing is perfect and when we hold something to that standard it will always fall short.

There is some horrible charters that start up that typically crash and burn. In this area I've seen so many come and go. Like you said it's some good ones out here that serve the purpose of a true charter. In this area the CSD, Pinelake, Mountain Island, Thomas Jefferson and Lake Norman Charter are all great programs. None should be put in the category of Kestrel Heights.

So you'll post a stupid video of Rickie Schroeder & Lawrence Tureaud, but you refuse to post a copy of the entrance lottery that should be readily available at the schools library. That pretty much says it all. That's cool.

So you'll post a stupid video of Rickie Schroeder & Lawrence Tureaud, but you refuse to post a copy of the entrance lottery that should be readily available at the schools library. That pretty much says it all. That's cool.

Pardon me I think this is what you're looking for.

MICS wll have one of the toughest schedules in 1A.

3A Stuart Cramer
2A Graham
Bessemer City
Thomas Jefferson

Yeah not hardly. While Mitchell's schedule isn't much better, MICS' schedule is no where near the toughest. Think Avery; they play
1a Mitchell
1a Polk
2a Mountain Heritage
4a McDowell
4a Watauga
Cloudland (Tennessee)

Mitchell plays
1a Polk
2a Mountain Heritage
2a RS Central
3a Erwin
4a McDowell

Not to mention the entire SMC...

Reactions: sbbbfan
Yeah not hardly. While Mitchell's schedule isn't much better, MICS' schedule is no where near the toughest. Think Avery; they play
1a Mitchell
1a Polk
2a Mountain Heritage
4a McDowell
4a Watauga
Cloudland (Tennessee)

Mitchell plays
1a Polk
2a Mountain Heritage
2a RS Central
3a Erwin
4a McDowell

Not to mention the entire SMC...

I don't see to many 1A playing a 3A team

I don't see to many 1A playing a 3A team
Murphy has played a 3A sized school or larger in non conference for years, in fact I couldn't even tell you the last time they didn't. Tuscola in the late 90's, Asheville in the early 00's, Trinity in the early 00's, Kennesaw Mountain GA in the early 00's (huge school, equivalent to a 4AA in NC), North Gaston in the mid 00's, Chattahoochee GA in the mid 00's (another huge school equal to a 4AA in NC) and Franklin and Smoky Mountain for years while they were still 3A. In more recent times 'Dogs have played Ringgold GA, Fannin County GA, Gilmer County GA. That's in addition to the solid private schools like Christ Presbyterian TN, Tyner Academy TN, Charlotte Latin, etc.

Mitchell had always scheduled 3a and 4a schools. Have always played McDowell, and played Watauga for years. They had trouble with finding teams this year, but Erwin is fearless with their scheduling, and was up to the challenge.

Mt Airy vs 2A West Stokes, Eden Morehead, North Surry, & Surry Central, plus 1A's Starmount & Elkin

East Surry plays
1A East Wilkes & Starmount
2A West Stokes, North Surry & Surry Central
4A Ragsdale
Plus Mount Airy in conference

I didn't say no one in 1A plays 3A. I said not too many play 3A teams. MICS playing SC is great and shows they want to compete.

I watched MICS again Saturday and they destroyed it. I might be wrong but I see more athletes all over the field this year. They played a athletic West Charlotte team and completely destroyed them and I might say had more athletes then they did. 7v7 is not real football for me but I saw enough to know this is not the same team as last year. Whenever you have the better athletes in a tournament with West Charlotte and Independence that's saying something.

Indy won two games including a win over winless Garinger.

WC won two games including a win over Hopewell whose one win was also against Garinger.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Yeah but we are talking about two traditional powers from the Charlotte metro area that are 4a/4aa sized schools here. It's insane that any 1a team would have more talent and athletes than them.

Nole when I say "star power" I mean college recruiting wise. What people don't know is that MICS had a lot of talent backing those players up and developed them in practice #6 is a absolute stud. #6 has a few offers from what I was told. He stayed on defense last year. Remember they return #6, #5, #21, #10, #2 (#16). Aside from #10 all those are returning players that can go at 4.6.

Swain County has just been in a bit of a lull. Don't worry about them. The upcoming 8th, 9th, and 10th grade classes will make us all wish they were back in a lull.

They pass a new rule about 4 years ago that stopped sesin from getting Cherokee kids. Know Dwain plays by the same rules. They will have a good team in a few years but the rule has obviously hurt them.

I thought MICS wasn't supposed to have as much "star power" this year? If they have more athletes than last year (when they had AW, TJ, TH, and EG, among many others), and have more and better athletes than Indy and WC, then no way can anyone claim that MICS has less "star power". Wouldn't surprise me at all to see MICS in 1aa sooner rather than later.
MICS want be 1AA no time soon. Probably less kids in the school now. Stop you can uncross your fingers. MICS will be a problem for Murphy.

I'm blocking this fool. I can't even read what the he'll he is typing. You guys have fun with this loser, I'm done!.

Is the lottery even public record? I know FERPA is a big deal, but I don't know how it is applied here. Besides, if you are that concerned with it you could go get it yourself.

I say this as someone who has no love for charter schools, but if the state has already investigated them before I doubt you're going to find them breaking too many rules by being a hardass on a message board. If you don't like what charter schools are doing academically or athletically, change the way you vote and/or reach out to your representatives.

Can't wait to start the season, MICS is more impressive in pads. LB core is deeper than I thought. With an ex-NFL LB coaching them up. MICS wants to see ROBBINSVILLE, Mitchell, Murphy on there road to state. Give mountain ball the shut mouth. Till following year then do it again.

NR will give all these 1a teams problem. They have athletes but always been solid on the line of scrimmage. They are my darkhorse to win it all

NR will give all these 1a teams problem. They have athletes but always been solid on the line of scrimmage. They are my darkhorse to win it all
I dont much about them. But I dont know MICS has 41 varsity players 15 deep at o-line. Who are actually productive. The speed I dont even need to speak on

I dont much about them. But I dont know MICS has 41 varsity players 15 deep at o-line. Who are actually productive. The speed I dont even need to speak on

North Rowan went 11-3 and made the third round in 2A last year . Lost a lot on D, but have a 1300 yard rusher back. Will be a tough out in 1AA bracket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT