ADVERTISEMENT

Will anyone take them out in 2017?

swett2victory

Aug 28, 2010
Cocoa Beach, Florida
BullMastiff-2.jpg

rollo_cinema.gif

Last edited:
Don't think Southside will be the problem for Plymouth this season. The Seahawks lost a lot. If Riverside drops to 1-A due to the new playoff system, then they or North Edgecombe may be the bump in the road to Raleigh. The Viking's schedule will certainly prepare them for the postseason! Tarboro, Edenton, Pamlico Co. ect.

Reactions: swett2victory
Don't think Southside will be the problem for Plymouth this season. The Seahawks lost a lot. If Riverside drops to 1-A due to the new playoff system, then they or North Edgecombe may be the bump in the road to Raleigh. The Viking's schedule will certainly prepare them for the postseason! Tarboro, Edenton, Pamlico Co. ect.
Who's the better one
North Edgecombe or SW Edgecombe?

I have a lot of respect for Murphy and I believe they should be the favorite to repeat again but the way some of you all are talking we shouldn't even have a 1A season. Just crown Murphy champs in June. I'm a firm believer in letting things play out on the field. Again I agree they should be favorites but I'm not crowning them champs right now. IMO there is a few schools that could upset Murphy come that time with the right situation. Last year should have showed you that in the MICS game. Mitchell and Cherokee are both teams that could upset Murphy this year. Cherokee has a lot of talent with experience and production returning. Mitchell is Mitchell and if Murphy doesn't bring the A-Game they could go down in that matchup. MICS I'm here to tell you despite popular belief they're still loaded and faster then last year. They graduated two good players but they have several younger players that can fill those shoes. Last but not least Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson have several Shelby transfers that sat out last year that are straight ballers. Add in the QB it could get interesting. Let the season begin. Happy high school football season fellas.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Now that baby Cobb has been running the program for a couple years, we'll see if he learned anything from daddy or not.

Well Raymond was at North Pitt then went "Home" to SW Edgecombe some years ago and raised the level of play of the Cougars. Unfortunately for Raymond, Todd Gurley was at Tarboro so SW Edgecombe just couldn't get past them during the Vikings 2-A days. After Raymond retired his son Jonathan who was an assistant under his dad got the head job. They went 5-7 last year, but should rebound. Jr did learn under a pretty good coach. Now if he can only grow a beard like dear ol dad, he'll be alright.

Well Raymond was at North Pitt then went "Home" to SW Edgecombe some years ago and raised the level of play of the Cougars. Unfortunately for Raymond, Todd Gurley was at Tarboro so SW Edgecombe just couldn't get past them during the Vikings 2-A days. After Raymond retired his son Jonathan who was an assistant under his dad got the head job. They went 5-7 last year, but should rebound. Jr did learn under a pretty good coach. Now if he can only grow a beard like dear ol dad, he'll be alright.
Sounds purdy good my buddy. He lernt a lot from his daddy and took on many challenges without his dad. I believes he will do great this year. By any given chance, has he ever met that Oxy Clean fella? He has a great beard.

Something to think about

I like that first pic of the "big dog" paying no attention to the little fella lol.....as for the real Bulldogs,,,,I've watched SMC football for a long time and on "paper" this is "potentially" the best and deepest offensive talent I've ever seen at Murphy or possibly even the entire SMC in my lifetime...and yes there are numerous teams that could pull off an upset in the playoffs, Mitchell Plymouth and MIC are all looking good this year....but the ceiling for Murphy is off the charts and higher than anyone else in 1A imo... you cant crown anybody in freakin' June, but the long range forecast models are showing a very good chance of a Category 5 Black and Gold storm forming in the smoky mountains this fall and causing widespread chaos and destruction as it moves eastward....

Last edited:
I like that first pic of the "big dog" paying no attention to the little fella lol.....as for the real Bulldogs,,,,I've watched SMC football for a long time and on "paper" this is "potentially" the best and deepest offensive talent I've ever seen at Murphy or possibly even the entire SMC in my lifetime...and yes there are numerous teams that could pull off an upset in the playoffs, Mitchell Plymouth and MIC are all looking good this year....but the ceiling for Murphy is off the charts and higher than anyone else in 1A imo... you cant crown anybody in freakin' June, but the long range forecast models are showing a very good chance of a Category 5 Black and Gold storm forming in the smoky mountains this fall and causing widespread chaos and destruction as it moves eastward....
Sir,
So what youre thsaying:
Short therm goal: to win the thitle
Long therm goal: Will win the thitle

What thype of music will come with the sthorm sir?
5720_TP_00061R.JPG_72_2.jpg

SUGGESTION

Last edited:

So Murphy is basically Golden State this year in 1A. I can dig it. If it's any fan base in this classification that can say that it's Murphy. Like Rick Flair said "To Be The Man, You Have To Beat The Man." IMO This could very well be the best playoffs in 1A in awhile. Especially with moving to 48 teams. Get your popcorn ready folks.

I wouldn't count Mitchell out of the race just yet. Although I'm a firm believer in Murphy's strength this season, Mitchell lost a lot less from last year, and had the skills players to match the bulldogs. Murphy's dominate O line is what made the difference in the western final game, and they are having to rebuild it this season. If this game were played in ledger, it could have been a different outcome. The Mountaineers are past hungry, we are STARVING for a banner. Not that Murphy will be any less hungry tho...

Plymouth will try their best to show up, you know, just in case. Three games vs. Murphy with two losses by 1 point and a win by 5 points. Maybe Gentry will let us on the field. Lol In all seriousness, David is as nice a coach as I have had the pleasure to work with over the years. Always accessible, and makes my job so much easier during more than likely both of us busiest week of the season. Momma Gentry is a sweet lady as well. Let's just hope everyone stays injury free and hopefully we see each other in Raleigh in December.

Murphy has potential to be great. They do have some talented linemen now and they should do well. Skill players in abundance. Let's remember just a couple years ago there was a lot of hype too and injuries and the Black Knights put an end to it. The season still has to be played. Everyone is undefeated right now

I also agree with knine. This is possibly the best skill position team that Murphy has ever had. A lot of football to be played between Aug and Dec though.

Although I'm a firm believer in Murphy's strength this season, Mitchell lost a lot less from last year, and had the skills players to match the bulldogs. If this game were played in ledger, it could have been a different outcome.
I'm going to have to firmly disagree Mountie. I thought you weren't able to make it to last year's game? If you were at the game I'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion.

The opposite holds true for me in terms of the difference in the two teams. Mitchell wasn't far off from Murphy in terms of line play. Yes Murphy held an edge there, in particular the Murphy o-line versus the Mitchell d-line, but it wasn't a massive difference. The biggest difference in my eyes (apart from the Murphy defense) was skill players. No disrespect when I say this, but Mitchell were bereft of speed outside of Brody Smith (who is a burner). That's not to say Ben Young and Alex McKinney weren't excellent football players (because they were) but like I said Mitchell had very little skill speed to speak of outside of Brody Smith. Murphy had multiple kids capable of getting to the third level of the Mitchell defense and those big chunks plays from Murphy's offense were a big difference in the game.

Murphy lost a couple of lineman but that's basically it, the defense and the skill players are all back. And they bring up a couple of absolute studs from the JV team in Justice Dorsey and Devonte Murray. Yes it's true that it will be impossible for Murphy to replace Powell on the d-line and it's very unlikely that Murphy will be as good at offensive tackle this year with Deetz and Stafford graduating, but if the Murphy o-line is at least adequate it's not going to matter with everything else that's in place. I know Mitchell is bringing a lot back as well but two of Mitchell's four best players by far were McKinney and Self, they're gone. Those two kids are going to be impossible for you guys to replace. So while Mitchell might bring back a couple more starters than Murphy, Murphy brings back more impact players imo.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is saying Murphy is unbeatable, clearly they're not, they have some holes to fill like everyone else. With that said the Murphy fans commenting have seen enough championship football to know what a potentially elite football team looks like. There's a season to be played and injuries can and will happen, but unless Curry gets hurt, one injury isn't going sink this team like it did the 2014 team when Cox got hurt. This year's Murphy team is much much deeper than the 2014 team and just better overall on paper.

I agree about the speed, Murphy had more team speed as a whole. But speed isn't the only factor behind skill. Yes it is easier to perform with speed, but power is a factor also. Mitchell has long been known for their smashmouth power back football. I trust Murphy fans 100% in their assessment of their teams, probably more than any other fan base that I have frequent contact with. The flat fact is, the mountaineers hit a yellow wall last December, and that wall will likely be there this December. On a different note, I just realized that y'all play Greenwood this year. That's a huge hump to get over, and if the cards fall right, the rematch of the West could be played in ledger which would level the playing field a little closer. Again on a different note, how's that youngun doing?

Reactions: mbdfan
I agree about the speed, Murphy had more team speed as a whole. But speed isn't the only factor behind skill. Yes it is easier to perform with speed, but power is a factor also. Mitchell has long been known for their smashmouth power back football. I trust Murphy fans 100% in their assessment of their teams, probably more than any other fan base that I have frequent contact with. The flat fact is, the mountaineers hit a yellow wall last December, and that wall will likely be there this December. On a different note, I just realized that y'all play Greenwood this year. That's a huge hump to get over, and if the cards fall right, the rematch of the West could be played in ledger which would level the playing field a little closer. Again on a different note, how's that youngun doing?
Yes I agree, Murphy is cut from much the same cloth. I would still classify the 'Dogs as a smashmouth power football team, but they will have the athletes the next couple of years to be a little bit more than that, if they want to be.

I wish they were playing "that" Greenwood SC, that would be awesome, but it's actually some home school outfit. If there were ever a year that Murphy had the ability to go out and really challenges themselves in non conference, this would be the year. Pisgah and Franklin are on the schedule but it would've been nice to see one more premium opponent on the non conference schedule, two home school opponents stinks.

The boy is doing great, healthy as a horse and growing fast, long and lean. He'll be three months old the 21st.

Oh not "that" Greenwood lol. Congrats on the son, my 2nd boy was born in December. Hopefully they'll get to play against each other. Yes homeschool teams stink, we've got 2 on our schedule, 3 if cannon is a homeschool team. But you play who you can get to play you...

No disrespect to Plymouth as they have certainly earned their place in the elite of NC 1a football, but Murphy's total yardage in the title game last year was in the 400s, and Plymouth's total yardage was in the 100s. Turnovers and Curry cutting his finger to the bone on the opening drive of the game is what kept the game close. Murphy had about four turnovers to Plymouth's one. The game was close on the scoreboard but Murphy dominated the stats.
Plymouth is going to have to go through Edenton/Holmes they are in the same conference this season.

Saw today that MICS got better when Marcus Graham transfered in from East Lincoln after a short stay at Mallard Creek. Poven Qb that will no doubt start from day 1.

I will refrain from stating what no doubt other will and I am thinking.

GO MOUNTAINEERS

Saw today that MICS got better when Marcus Graham transfered in from East Lincoln after a short stay at Mallard Creek. Poven Qb that will no doubt start from day 1.

I will refrain from stating what no doubt other will and I am thinking.

GO MOUNTAINEERS

I will add this. This move is by the book and it's a great fit. It's simple the kid legally applied for the lottery and was accepted back in February and he's eligible to play based on the new transfer rules. It's 100 percent by the rules set forth.

The kid is going to feast in the system MICS runs. MICS return three 4.4 kids that can flat out fly. Add in a 4.5 QB and guess what all these preseason crowning ceremonies of Murphy go out the window.

Graham instantly becomes the best 1A player in the state. Murphy had a problem stopping #8 and this kid is in the same mold but bigger if not better. Let the crying begin.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
No disrespect to Plymouth as they have certainly earned their place in the elite of NC 1a football, but Murphy's total yardage in the title game last year was in the 400s, and Plymouth's total yardage was in the 100s. Turnovers and Curry cutting his finger to the bone on the opening drive of the game is what kept the game close. Murphy had about four turnovers to Plymouth's one. The game was close on the scoreboard but Murphy dominated the stats.

No disrespect taken. Everything you say is the absolute truth. However, they keep score for a reason. Dominating stats wins fantasy football leagues, not necessarily games. Like I said, we will try our best to get there so if whoever comes out of the West will at least have to go through the motions to get their rings.

As to the others reminding all that Plymouth plays Edenton, we play them every year and have done so since the 70's for the most part. Come playoff time the Aces will be 1-AA while the Vikings will be 1-A. We also kick off the season at Tarboro, and also have Pamlico Co. on the schedule as well. We could very well be playing all the Eastern finalist in 1-AA & 1-A. May have to hit the road for a playoff game for the first time since 2008, but other than that we'll just try to do our best. Good luck to everyone this year.

And so the mics drama begins. So a star QB from mallard creek, AND East Lincoln, two powerhouse programs, just happens to be drawn from the "lottery"? C'mon. Anywho, Murphy is top dog until proven otherwise. Maybe MICS can hike up the HILL to ledger and meet the Mountaineers, smashmouth style.

Won't matter. Murphy will be even more loaded than last season and MICS couldn't stop the Dogs last year, so tell me why this year will be any different? I mean hell, you had what was basically a Charlotte all star team last year that was loaded with speed and next level talent and you still couldn't beat Murphy, and no matter how good this new QB is, IMO he won't make MICS any better than they were last season. Remember that MICS lost a ton of good players on D, and as far as I know, that new QB won't help them on that side of the ball. My money says Murphy scores a ton of points on the MICS all stars again this year and beats them again. On another note, I hate this for the Holcombe kid. Threw for a ton of yards last year in the regular season then basically got benched in the playoffs in favor of Aapri Washington. Now this year he will likely get benched in favor of a new transfer. Pretty crappy IMO.

Nole you know I take your opinion with a grain of salt. Like last year you don't have a clue about MICS outside of your assumptions. What I remember about that game was both teams scored plenty of points. MICS defense will be better than last year. Lastly, positions are earned not inherited this is football. This is not the country club. Like last year no one will know how things shake out until that time comes.

With all this talk about Mitchell and Murphy facing each other again. What are the chances that Murphy or Mitchell go to 1AA?

And so the mics drama begins. So a star QB from mallard creek, AND East Lincoln, two powerhouse programs, just happens to be drawn from the "lottery"? C'mon. Anywho, Murphy is top dog until proven otherwise. Maybe MICS can hike up the HILL to ledger and meet the Mountaineers, smashmouth style.

I'm not going to debate your assumption. When things are done the right way it's no need to go back and forth. We will see when that time comes. As we saw last year get the popcorn ready because MICS will make it interesting. As far as Mitchell goes MICS would have hung 50 on them. You can ask any Murphy fan that was at the game. You guys was too slow and will be too slow this year. MICS got faster and has the horses again this year. Murphy is favorite and for good reason but MICS will not lay down like you all did to Murphy last year.

Not very high... with the new playoff system, both should stay small. But the small bracket should be very competitive, with Mitchell, Murphy, MICS, Cherokee, Mount Airy, and TJ looking to all have promising seasons. I know that Robbinsville is very senior heavy, so don't count them out, and Hayesville has probably the most athletic kid in WNC.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
God I hope y'all come to ledger. No doubt Murphy got the better of Mitchell. I don't contest it, never have. But we heard the same crap last year about how dem mountain boyz is 2 slow, get tha popcorn ready blah blah blah. Your little speed jockeys will get hit harder by mountain boys than anyone else you will face.

The kid is going to feast in the system MICS runs. MICS return three 4.4 kids that can flat out fly. Add in a 4.5 QB and guess what all these preseason crowning ceremonies of Murphy go out the window.

Graham instantly becomes the best 1A player in the state. Murphy had a problem stopping #8 and this kid is in the same mold but bigger if not better. Let the crying begin.
Of course Murphy had a problem stopping #8, he was a D1 player who ran a 4.3 40 lol. Nah I don't think there will be any crying from Murphy, the 'Dogs will be just fine

Last edited:
Of course Murphy had a problem stopping #8, he was a D1 player who ran a 4.3 40 lol. Nah I don't think there will be any crying from Murphy, 'Dogs will be just fine.

Much respect for Murphy and the fans. You all are first class and that's why you guys are a legendary program. That comment was not directed at Murphy.

Last edited:
God I hope y'all come to ledger. No doubt Murphy got the better of Mitchell. I don't contest it, never have. But we heard the same crap last year about how dem mountain boyz is 2 slow, get tha popcorn ready blah blah blah. Your little speed jockeys will get hit harder by mountain boys than anyone else you will face.

Murphy is not slow. Murphy has the athletes, experience and game speed to match anyone in our classification

Mitchell is slow compared to MICS speed. I'm just saying everyone knew the winner of the MICS and Murphy game was going to be the Champs. This could hold true this year. Now wonder if Mitchell has to travel to MICS?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT