ADVERTISEMENT

Why There's No Players In Football From East Of Raleigh Not On The NC. Prep All State Team For 2017?

hornet62

May 11, 2010
There's not one payers from east of Raleigh on the NC Preps All Star team. There's one players from D.H. Conley but Wilson is south of Raleigh. Why kids like J.R. Walker from Northeastern High School didn't make the team as an ATH? This kid played QB's with over 1200yds. rushing,played WR's, Played DB, and punt returner and he made that team go. The kid from Heritage no disrespect to him he's a good player but J.R. Walker remember that name played all the above position extremely well. Why was there no players from the eastern part of the state especially northeastern NC. not on the team? Not to mentioned keimon Bailey from Edenton/Holmes who broke that school single season rushing record with almost 3000yds rushing and 36 TD's the kid ahead of him Devon Leonard is good but he has played three years of varsity ball and Bailey has been a starter on the varsity for only two years but if you compare the stats Bailey stats are better in rushing and TD's what does the kids from northeastern have to do to get some respect has the people picking the 2017 team seen those two kids in person play? At least make them co players at there positions with the other two kids mentioned above and to the coaches in northeastern NC. you guys got to step up and help the kids your kids get some recognition in the state. I know J.R. Walker went to the Duke camp and they offered him a scholarship after his freshman year and has several D1 offers now as an upcoming junior and he and his friend Freshwater and teammate both have been invited to the Under Amour national camp in Maryland this summer. J.R. Walker should have been on that 2017 Pre Season All Star Team and anyone who has seen this kid play will state the same. Peace i'm out.

Since DH Conley does not count as "east of Raleigh" please list specifically what schools you are referencing.

Im sure when the individual 2A preseason team comes out it will hopefully be more diverse

Im sure when the individual 2A preseason team comes out it will hopefully be more diverse
Hopefully darkhorse#34. Did you know that Shelby Lion was a comedian, but they Shelby don't want anything to do with IMG or any national rank team for that matter. Shelby won't even schedule a team like Bishop Sullivan.

Wouldn't it be biased to "have" to pick one kid over the other based on a lack of geographical representation?

It also seems that Raleigh, Triad and Charlotte areas would make up the bulk of the team based on distribution/demographics.

Last, Ricky Person is a stud, absolute beast who I think is rated the number one athlete (for football, at that position) in this state. I don't know this young man (JR Walker) you referenced, but if he is better than Person, he will get his recognition at this level, preseason/postseason or otherwise, and beyond.

Love the passion and enthusiasm football brings out in fans. Probably as much as religion and politics. Think we can all agree that football season can not get here soon enough!

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
As a SWO fan I have been on the disappointed end of a lot of preseason list in years past, but I have come to the conclusion that the preseason ncpreps is pretty accurate. A lot of the players that people mention that should be on the list generally come from smaller areas and schools. When your in the ENC at a smaller school it is not unusual to have a 5'8 linebacker that records 150 tackles. Not saying that is not an accomplishment, but then when you have an chance to see Dax Hollifield (Shelby) up close most understand that your guy is not that guy. Rushing for 2,000 yards is a big deal for anyone, then you see Zamir White and you realize your guy is not that guy.

I know Deana looks at a lot of HS football, but East of Raliegh and West of Asheville are not the riches areas and getting individuals to these camps "freak shows" is really important to be seen and awarded these honors. I have no stats to go off, but more players in that Raleigh to Charlotte area specialize in one sport and go to events for that sport year round. I love eastern football, but as a whole Raleigh to Charlotte make sure there guys are at these camps "events" and a huge reason being they are held in there back yard.

Overall ncpreps has awarded preseason all state "all classifications" to many players east of Raleigh, but just by pure number of students Raleigh to Charlotte have tons of players that are 6'3-6'5 240-280pds and might just be better than a 5'9 guy that is dominating some not so great teams.

When they break down Classification at the end of the year for all state you see way more eastern guys up there, and obviously 1a and 2a guys get there due.

I looking at the team it's seems fairly distributed statewide
I don't know what you are looking at. Is there any players from the northeastern part of the state? If you see one please name him and the school he's from. Thanks and have a bless day.

As a SWO fan I have been on the disappointed end of a lot of preseason list in years past, but I have come to the conclusion that the preseason ncpreps is pretty accurate. A lot of the players that people mention that should be on the list generally come from smaller areas and schools. When your in the ENC at a smaller school it is not unusual to have a 5'8 linebacker that records 150 tackles. Not saying that is not an accomplishment, but then when you have an chance to see Dax Hollifield (Shelby) up close most understand that your guy is not that guy. Rushing for 2,000 yards is a big deal for anyone, then you see Zamir White and you realize your guy is not that guy.

I know Deana looks at a lot of HS football, but East of Raliegh and West of Asheville are not the riches areas and getting individuals to these camps "freak shows" is really important to be seen and awarded these honors. I have no stats to go off, but more players in that Raleigh to Charlotte area specialize in one sport and go to events for that sport year round. I love eastern football, but as a whole Raleigh to Charlotte make sure there guys are at these camps "events" and a huge reason being they are held in there back yard.

Overall ncpreps has awarded preseason all state "all classifications" to many players east of Raleigh, but just by pure number of students Raleigh to Charlotte have tons of players that are 6'3-6'5 240-280pds and might just be better than a 5'9 guy that is dominating some not so great teams.

When they break down Classification at the end of the year for all state you see way more eastern guys up there, and obviously 1a and 2a guys get there due.
So what you are saying is that the coaches from the east and northeastern part of the state are not making sure their best players get to those camps you are referring too so that's the reason they don't make the NC Preps Pre Season All State Team plus they are not from the Raleigh/Charlotte area so they cannot be as good as the kids from those area and they do not go to camps so they don't deserve to be recognized? Where I live I've seen some of the best there is and i'm not doubting Dax Hollifield or Zamir White ability but I've witness some of the best that's playing in the pros now that went to school at Florida,Auburn,Kentucky,Georgia,Clemson,South Carolina,Savannah State,Notre Dame,A&T, Alabama,Miami,I've seen those kids that played high school ball and got scholarships to those schools close and personal and the kids from Edenton/Holmes RB Keimon Bailey and J.R. Walker from Northeastern from northeastern NC. should have made the NC. Preps All Star Preseason Team especially Walker as an ATH. since he played four of five positions in high school in two years and again rushed for over 1200yds as the QB while he played the other position some also. Plus Walker received an offer from Duke after his freshman season as a WR the position he will play this season at Northeastern since Northeastern has this 6'5/6'6 QB's transferring in from Perquimans High School which is just about 15 miles south of Northeastern High School. I predict that by the time he finish at Northeastern he will be another D1 prospect from Northeastern especially the way coach Moore throws the ball around. Those two are as good as those that I've seen go to those schools mentioned above. Check their stats from last year and if you aren't using stats then what are you using to judge who should or shouldn't make the team? The fans would like to know what are you looking for when you select a team for NC Preps All Stars Football Team. Thanks and have a good holiday. Peace.

Reactions: Jfly69

Regarding your last comment most colleges are going to look at those names on the list now and concentrate on them before they get to those guys from the 1A and 2A schools who are having a good season.

Wouldn't it be biased to "have" to pick one kid over the other based on a lack of geographical representation?

It also seems that Raleigh, Triad and Charlotte areas would make up the bulk of the team based on distribution/demographics.

Last, Ricky Person is a stud, absolute beast who I think is rated the number one athlete (for football, at that position) in this state. I don't know this young man (JR Walker) you referenced, but if he is better than Person, he will get his recognition at this level, preseason/postseason or otherwise, and beyond.

Love the passion and enthusiasm football brings out in fans. Probably as much as religion and politics. Think we can all agree that football season can not get here soon enough!
This kid J.R. Walker received an offer from Duke after attending one of Duke camps after his freshman season at Northeastern as a WR. He played mostly QB and DB in his sophomore season and rushed for over 1200yds and 12 TD's as the QB's went to several camps after the season received more D1 offers from Michigan State,UNC,ECU,Clemson his even interested and others etc. He was invited to the National Under Amour Camp in Maryland this summer 6'1'/6'2 210lbs. He already have national recognition as a four star recruit that's why if you aren't using stats then what are you judging a kid on, cannot be demographic? J.R. Walker and his team Northeastern is suppose to participate in the HSOT Jamboree on August 12, and they are suppose to scrimmage against Southern Durham at 2:00pm. Heritage and Ricky Person will scrimmage later against Cape Fear I think if you guys live near Raleigh come out and see J.R. Walker and the other guy his teammate and four star recruit Freshwater at RB Freshwater remind me of another Todd Gurley he's bigger than Gurley when Gurley played high school ball at Tarboro the same outside break away speed at 6'2" 220lbs or better and fast. The college recruiter want to play him at outside L/B but personally he would be another Gurley in college at RB.with his outside breakaway speed.

Where is Havelock? I told you I don't look where a kid is from. I pick the best based on several criteria and stats are not the only criteria.
Havelock is southeast of Raleigh about 145miles. And there is no players from northeastern NC deserving to be on your NC Preps All Star Team not even co-players at a position? Thanks.

Mr. Kick-Off you can go on HUDL of the Northeastern High School site on Maxpreps and you can see J.R. Walker stats for yourself. He should be a Co-ATh. along with Person to have a legit representation at that position because J.R. play about four or five position for his team and he along with Person is suppose to participate in the HSOT/Jamboree in Raleigh at Cardinal-Gibbons High School on 8/1. If you live near by Northeastern High School is suppose to scrimmage Southern Durham at 2:00pm and Heritage along with Person suppose to scrimmage Cape Fear I think later and you can see them in person for yourself.

Regarding your last comment most colleges are going to look at those names on the list now and concentrate on them before they get to those guys from the 1A and 2A schools who are having a good season.

I don't think college coaches wake up and say, "how many 1A/2A kids can I overlook today"? I actually think the inverse occurs, outside of the elite schools in the Power 5 conferences, they do anything they can to "shake the bushes" for talent that is not well publicized. For an Old Dominion (before someone who knows or has a player at ODU gets offended, that was just the first school that popped into my tired brain)....they can't recruit with an Alabama for example, so they want to find all legit unknown talent they can possibly find. Recruiters are a tight knit group, they talk a lot and a kid that "I can't offer because I don't need a 2018 QB" might be a perfect fit for a fellow recruiter in another conference who needs a mobile QB with a GPA above 3.5. While my son is not a QB, I saw this firsthand and can speak to his own recruitment. We got a call from a Penn State coach "because one of our recruiters was at a BIG 10 mtg and another coach said we needed to go after you". We never went to the first PSU camp, but they reached out with a personal/private invite with a scholarship offer to kick simply because they got a word of mouth reference from another coach (from Maryland). All I am saying is talent can be overlooked, it happens at the college football and pro football level as well. 1500 yards on a 3-8 1A school probably is not the same as Elijah Hood for example ripping off 1500 yards or TJ Logan (again, just recent examples who came to mind) doing the same or more against 3A/4A state championship level competition. Every kid likes to be recognized (and so do their parents), but there are only so many spots for "xyz position" and good/great players are sometimes excluded. Again, same thing happens at NCAA and NFL levels. Very few if any kids are given a scholarship because they are on an "all state team", recruiting is haphazard, but not that bad. Make plays, get your highlights out on Hudl or You tube, go to a college camp or 7v7 camp, any/all of these should help offset any lack of publicity or exposure. I am willing to bet the NC Preps list will be very similar to the AP list at the end of the year; again not to slight certain players but to validate what happens outside of the HS football season and the subjectivity that goes with it. Like Deana or someone else said (could have been in another thread?), it is more than just stats. Z White didn't lead the state of NC in rushing yards per game, but he did lead the country in rankings as a 2018 RB....The young man you referenced could/should/will find a school or a school will find him!

Hornet, you win man... I haven't seen Mr. Walker play (but I will be looking at his HUDL tape tonight or tomorrow). I happen to know a few of the Coaches very well at a certain ACC school... will personally DM them with this kids info out of respect for your passion for this young man once I see the film.

If you aren't a parent, coach or immediate friend (and even if you are), he is lucky to have someone who advocates for him like you do.

Just to be clear, I value the chance to play in college and get a good education over any list. Some of the posts came in while Iwas typing my previous very long post, looks like Mr Walker doesn't need any help getting recruited. Glad to see he is getting the D1 attention, now send him to State so we can benefit from that athleticism ...

I know a young man that made every All state team, Shrine Bowl, started both sides of the ball his last two years, played multiple specialties fir one if the better teams I have seen in NC, a 4AA power that sent players to all five BCS conferences. He did not get a single D1A offer. A player that did not play until his junior season (JV) and went to Maryland when they were strong. One of the best ever from the state did not have a D1A offer until summer of senior season and he played on four 4AA state champs. I have set in an ACC coaches office and watched game film of a 1A running back with him. My point is this all state team is not driving a college recruiting meeting.

Last edited:
Hornet62 they are playing South Pointe out of Rock Hill this year.

That game is a great matchup and a make sense game!!!

RH SP will be nationally ranked in most preseason polls. Big time talent. Alums Clowney and Gilmore both big time NFLers.

Y'all should come down and watch it. I live in Rock Hill. Should be a good game for one half and then South Pointe will take over. Lol

Just to be clear, I value the chance to play in college and get a good education over any list. Some of the posts came in while Iwas typing my previous very long post, looks like Mr Walker doesn't need any help getting recruited. Glad to see he is getting the D1 attention, now send him to State so we can benefit from that athleticism ...
Duke offered him his first offer when he was a freshman and I have a feeling him and his best friend Freshwater another three or four star RB at Northeastern is going to do a package deal a coach will be a fool if he doesn't offer both a scholarship together because they feed off of each other, Both are invited to the National Under Amour Camp this summer in Maryland. Go to Maxpreps.com and go to the Northeastern site and when you see him on the tape please come back her and give your view to the other fans. As far as state they need to start hard now an offer them something because since Person already committed to State it's going to be hard but if I was state I would recruit them and put Person and Freshwater at RB's together like Georgia did with Gurley and the kid from Raleigh from Millbrook High School. But State has a tendency to let the good players leave NC.

Y'all should come down and watch it. I live in Rock Hill. Should be a good game for one half and then South Pointe will take over. Lol
South Pointe had a chance to play IMG also but they refused the offer just like Shelby and Reidsville did previously. Thanks.

I don't think college coaches wake up and say, "how many 1A/2A kids can I overlook today"? I actually think the inverse occurs, outside of the elite schools in the Power 5 conferences, they do anything they can to "shake the bushes" for talent that is not well publicized. For an Old Dominion (before someone who knows or has a player at ODU gets offended, that was just the first school that popped into my tired brain)....they can't recruit with an Alabama for example, so they want to find all legit unknown talent they can possibly find. Recruiters are a tight knit group, they talk a lot and a kid that "I can't offer because I don't need a 2018 QB" might be a perfect fit for a fellow recruiter in another conference who needs a mobile QB with a GPA above 3.5. While my son is not a QB, I saw this firsthand and can speak to his own recruitment. We got a call from a Penn State coach "because one of our recruiters was at a BIG 10 mtg and another coach said we needed to go after you". We never went to the first PSU camp, but they reached out with a personal/private invite with a scholarship offer to kick simply because they got a word of mouth reference from another coach (from Maryland). All I am saying is talent can be overlooked, it happens at the college football and pro football level as well. 1500 yards on a 3-8 1A school probably is not the same as Elijah Hood for example ripping off 1500 yards or TJ Logan (again, just recent examples who came to mind) doing the same or more against 3A/4A state championship level competition. Every kid likes to be recognized (and so do their parents), but there are only so many spots for "xyz position" and good/great players are sometimes excluded. Again, same thing happens at NCAA and NFL levels. Very few if any kids are given a scholarship because they are on an "all state team", recruiting is haphazard, but not that bad. Make plays, get your highlights out on Hudl or You tube, go to a college camp or 7v7 camp, any/all of these should help offset any lack of publicity or exposure. I am willing to bet the NC Preps list will be very similar to the AP list at the end of the year; again not to slight certain players but to validate what happens outside of the HS football season and the subjectivity that goes with it. Like Deana or someone else said (could have been in another thread?), it is more than just stats. Z White didn't lead the state of NC in rushing yards per game, but he did lead the country in rankings as a 2018 RB....The young man you referenced could/should/will find a school or a school will find him!
I know a young man that made every All state team, Shrine Bowl, started both sides of the ball his last two years, played multiple specialties fir one if the better teams I have seen in NC, a 4AA power that sent players to all five BCS conferences. He did not get a single D1A offer. A player that did not play until his junior season (JV) and went to Maryland when they were strong. One of the best ever from the state did not have a D1A offer until summer of senior season and he played on four 4AA state champs. I have set in an ACC coaches office and watched game film of a 1A running back with him. My point is this all state team is not driving a college recruiting meeting.

I didn't say all the coaches but some does take the All-State Preseason ranking in consideration first. I heard a coach from a very large D1 university say that they don't really need to recruit all over the south because they can go to one city in the south and find what ever positions they need to feel so the little schools that have good players or better players than that particular city doesn't have a chance because the coach already has his mind made up about the talent and other good players not from that particular city, so pre season poll does make a difference even if that player has a bad senior season they are still going to rely on their junior season stats I've seen it happen where I live and the school I support. Btango I know you have seen J.R.Walker play if not check him out for yourself. I realize every good players cannot be on the list but if anybody does it J.R. as an ATH.

One of the big complaints I have had with all conference and all state teams has been the number of players that make the teams. Instead of 22-25 players plus a kicker, punter, and return man we will see 30-35 named. If it is special everyone is not going to make it.

Note, there is a back at Charlotte Harding that is the number one nationally rated back in the class of 2019. Harding has been a below average team fir several years but he has recruiters beating the door down. He did not make the team. Believe me, he is the complete package.

I don't understand the issue. There are only so many spots on an All-State team, not everyone is going to make it. How many kids play football in NC lol? A ton! If a kid is great, college coaches will probably see it. It doesn't mean that every Tom, Dick and Harry that gets a college offer deserves to be on the All-State team...

One of the big complaints I have had with all conference and all state teams has been the number of players that make the team.

Not to mention the way many conferences are set up, the other coaches don't vote on "all conference". Each team gets so many selections based on their finish and elect whoever they want to the all conference team. Now, players of the year are voted on by all coaches.

College coaches may look at these teams, but they are visiting schools and talking to coaches at clinics to find players first.

The thing is both players mentioned are great ballplayers but I can only pick so many because I don't want my team to be "watered down" and give everybody an award type selection.

About 15 years ago, we picked 5 QBs, 8 RBs, etc and people fussed about that too

Btango I know you have seen J.R.Walker play if not check him out for yourself. I realize every good players cannot be on the list but if anybody does it J.R. as an ATH.

Walker is a big time player. FBS football ability. If he were on the team, some would agree, others would think Person or another athlete should have made the team. I doubt Walker is worried about it and I guarantee you he is not losing a scholarship offer because of being omitted from this preseason team.

The other player that you are disappointed did not make the team, what colleges do you think should be offering him?

Last edited:
this topic it seems comes up every year just like the "what to do with non traditional schools on the 1A page" ....notice it's a Preseason team....some stay, some go....if your player has a great year then maybe he's on the team at seasons end GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

Walker is a big time player. FBS football ability. If he were on the team, some would agree, others would think Person or another athlete should have made the team. I doubt Walker is worried about it and I guarantee you he is not losing a scholarship offer because of being omitted from this preseason team.

The other player that you are disappointed did not make the team, what colleges do you think should be offering him?
You might not think players do not look at these team believe me they do. Yes Walker is going to be alright but he should be recognized in the state by all at his accomplishments also, and not just the kids from the metro area of the state. The other players mentioned can hold his own with any RB's in the state and will be a great addition and players to any football team that is looking for a good back. JMU is very interested,Penn State,ODU,NCCU he's in the same mold as Tarik Cohen that nobody wanted coming out of high school in Bunn but lead his college conference in rushing for three years and got himself drafted in the 4th round by the Chicago Bears. Yes, players from small communities does use those things as motivation especially when the experts say they are not as good as the big school kids are because of their conference of the caliber of competition they faced during the season. If that kid you mentioned as the other player if he wasn't good why are there are a lot of schools in the Raleigh area asking why don't he transfer to play with them and there are a particular good high school in Maryland that what him to transfer up to Maryland and they guarantee they will get him into any D1 school in the country. Thanks.

I don't understand the issue. There are only so many spots on an All-State team, not everyone is going to make it. How many kids play football in NC lol? A ton! If a kid is great, college coaches will probably see it. It doesn't mean that every Tom, Dick and Harry that gets a college offer deserves to be on the All-State team...
You still don't get it do you. The question was why is there no players east of Raleigh especially the northeastern part of the state not on the NC Preps All State Pre Season Football Team. Thanks.

The thing is both players mentioned are great ballplayers but I can only pick so many because I don't want my team to be "watered down" and give everybody an award type selection.

About 15 years ago, we picked 5 QBs, 8 RBs, etc and people fussed about that too
Maybe you pick players from each section of the state like north,south,southeastern,northeastern,northwestern,southwestern,and all in between so it would then represent all section of NC. because there are good/great outstanding players from those area as well. Thanks and have a bless day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT