Why Does Tarboro Just Keeps Winning

Why Does Tarboro Keep Winning

• 2A numbers on their roster @ 60 this year

• Coaching

• Large area to pull the best players from

• Pulling players from outside there district

• All the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
You have to remember there is a Todd Gurley hype going on there to I've heard he shows up in off season to mentor players and such in which in return brings out alot of players who wouldn't come out for football

We had 44 or 45 varsity players this year only two of them were sophomores. They pulled up 13 players for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
I have followed/known about Tarboro since the days of Kelvin Bryant. Over the years a few things jump out at me.
1. It starts with coaching. They have had some awesome coaches and coaching stability.
2. They have great athletes who are well built. Many of those athletes don’t leave town and they then have children who are great athletes and are well built.
3. They have run the same offense for decades. If I am not mistaken the youth feeder programs and middle school run the same offense.
4. Being good at football is a tradition and is important to them.

Not just Todd but also Tyquan Lewis who is currently playing for the Colts. Current college players come back and workout in the weight room with the present players. Kelvin Bryant (Carolina great, USFL great and Super Bowl winner with the Redskins) is on the sidelines at most home games. It’s a great winning football culture.

I have seen many teams at every level from 1A-4AA for many years. It’s always coaching. Look at some of the mighty ones 5- 10 years ago that the coach left or retired that are a shell of themselves now. At all levels.

Jimmies and Joes does help.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I went to the East Surry vs Reidsville game and East Surry had 44 players listed in the program on varsity. Tarboro had 47 at the same time. The 60 players comes from 13 JV players being pulled up for the playoffs. The JV players will not contribute at all. Heck Todd Gurley didn’t play Varsity until his Jr year. He was pulled up his sophomore year for the playoffs and didn’t play.

So if it's always coaching, Tarboro's coach can come to North Stokes and win a State Championship. I don't think so. It has something to do with all 5 choices I listed starting with #1
You amuse me TD. Our county rivals are always strong. Do you seriously think they would put up with Tarboro gaming the system to take players away from them? From other counties? If it was that easy, wouldn’t we just double down from 2014-16 and make WRH look like chumps? You know you look like an idiot when you go all conspiracy theory with nothing but slander to back it up. Come on, man!

Even Craddock didn’t walk in at Tarboro like Belicheck and start piling up championships. He tried to change Tarboro from its ancient offense and it was pretty average results. Once he embraced the “Tarboro Way,” the results have been far better.

Sorry, that was the Eastern finals and WRH lost Championship to West Montgomery in 2016 who like Tarboro and WRH all had a roster of 46 or less, not 60.
Sigh* facts man, facts. WRH beat WM in 2016. Tarboro has a great winning tradition. There is no difference in Tarboro having 45 varsity aged kids than Robbinsville having 35 varsity aged kids. To be the man you have to beat the man. And when you can't beat him, make the public doubt him...

I think at the high school level its all about coaching. When a great coach is blessed with athletes, well, you see what happens. Great athletes and poor coaching generally equals mediocre teams. Scheming and adjustments are done by the coaches. Undisciplined talented players can be schemed against to look ordinary. Heck, I would say its coaching at all levels - college and pro.

I heard that Jack Holley once said, its 80% coaching. I believe him.

Reactions: btango
Tarboro football is a program that starts when they are kids. From the time they are 9 years old they run the exact same offense all the way thru their senior year.

When they get to high school, they already know the offense and defense. Also I bet no other 1A school hits the weight room harder than Tarboro does.

Hobbton had just as many players dressed as Tarboro did in the 2nd round

Hey the same thing happens at Mount Airy and East Surry and probably many other schools. Do you think Tarboro is the ole school that starts them young,
"From the time they are 9 years old they run the exact same offense all the way thru their senior year"
Well what’s your theory on why Tarboro is good?

Not sure where you’re getting 60 from. There are currently around 8 players listed on the roster that are JV players that were added for the postseason.

The varsity roster size was in the 40’s during the regular season.

Maybe schools like Mount Airy should convince more of their students to play football. Using Tarboros roster number just shows they are a superior program and the entire community is invested. Get on their level. Must be doing something right.

Tarboro is like everyone else in high school football. They're going to play their best players unless it's a blowout. Even with the big roster they still have players playing offense and defense. They have one of the best coaches in the state and win so kids are gonna play. Start losing and bad coaching they will have thirty players like north stokes.

Reactions: TarVikes
Tarboro is like everyone else in high school football. They're going to play their best players unless it's a blowout. Even with the big roster they still have players playing offense and defense. They have one of the best coaches in the state and win so kids are gonna play. Start losing and bad coaching they will have thirty players like north stokes.
Exactly. All of Tarboros best players still go both ways.

Tarboro draws from a county with a population of 52,000. I know about the other schools in county so don't start with that. If you are a serious football player that lives in that county, you go to Tarboro

TD, it’s basketball season for you. Go to those basketball boards and talk about how many sophomores y’all have playing.

Tarboro draws from a county with a population of 52,000. I know about the other schools in county so don't start with that. If you are a serious football player that lives in that county, you go to Tarboro
If that were the case the other two schools in the county would be horrible.

North Edgecombe is in the 4th round
Southwest Edgecombe just lost in the 3rd round

Your theory doesn’t add up.

If that were the case the other two schools in the county would be horrible.

North Edgecombe is in the 4th round
Southwest Edgecombe just lost in the 3rd round

Your theory doesn’t add up.
North will have a chance to prove how good they are the 14th

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
East Surry is not chiming in and Mitchell county mountie is kissing up but I don't blame them because on will have to play them next week.
By the way, anyone can only vote and not post and no one knows you were here. Oh and you can vote one way and kiss up to Tarboro. Just saying.
I'm not kissing anything. I give respect where respect is due. I'm fully expecting to travel to Durham in a couple weeks to watch Mitchell take on a much better team. I'm not wringing my hands 2 weeks out, trying to make up excuses why Mitchell is going to lose...

I'm not kissing anything. I give respect where respect is due. I'm fully expecting to travel to Durham in a couple weeks to watch Mitchell take on a much better team. I'm not wringing my hands 2 weeks out, trying to make up excuses why Mitchell is going to lose...
I think Mitchell can play with Tarboro, East has no chance against Tarboro.

Tarboro is just a well coached powerhouse. Talk about a 60 man roster? That’s the JV team added onto the roster for the postseason. I don’t believe there is a team in 1A or 2A this year that could beat Tarboro, and that goes for the last 2 years also. They cannot be best if they play how they’re coached.

15 to 20 more players can make a huge difference in keeping fresh players in, so I go with that. If you can stay close in the 1st half, they can wear other teams down in the 2nd half.
Those 15 players don’t see the field unless it’s a blowout or special teams because it’s the jv team

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Mount Airy draws kids outside the city limits. So does Elkin. Mount Airy also ends up with kids from Pilot and Toast. Sometimes Elkin ends up with kids from Fairview/Dobson, Ronda, and Jonesville. Pretty much every school gets transfers.

I
I am not saying they cheat but Tarboro is a city school in Tarboro, NC and several months ago one of their main posters HowerinJr was talking about how far they was allowed to draw from and it included outside the city. And there was a lot of talk about them being a privileged school like private and charter schools. Where are all those people. HowerinJr's post opened the door for this. Seems no one besides me remembers his post. HowerinJr Would you tell us again where they are allowed to draw from ?
I remember those posts he said Tarboro could draw kids county wide.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I

I remember those posts he said Tarboro could draw kids county wide.
I remember that post as well and he was mistaken. He said Edgecombe county school had open enrollment, and that is false. In order to go to a school outside of your district you have to be approved by the school board each year. Actually most years, more kids leave the Tarboro district to go to Southwest because they offer more AP classes than Tarboro.

Reactions: THSRudeBoyz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT