ADVERTISEMENT

Why Aren't We Playing?

Awesome news for your son. Zero problem with not being a D1 kid. Get that paper and use the lessons football teaches you to have a great career in his chosen field.

To answer the question...The mortality rate is down significantly from where it once was. Have gotten much better at early treatments. That said...still a very scary illness and death rate only tells part of the story. Long term effects are only starting to emerge. I know multiple people who tested positive, had minimal symptoms but still are having issues with breathing and energy level. Believe it when the doctors say this is a tricky sucker. Lts of variables.

I believe we have to certainly learn to live with the virus until we get better at treatment and hopefully get a vaccine( Though that only is the beginning). I think the the debate needs to be shifted from " lock down or no lock down"and move to what living with it looks like and there has been some solid movement at the state and local levels with regards to that as well.

Sadly this has become a culture war..........and regardless of what happens over the next couple days that doesnt look like its ending anytime soon.

I personally think a lot of people on both sides got it wrong at the beginning. I do believe NC could of started sports on time though.

We went and visited Grove 2 weeks ago not a bad drive to Pennsylvania. Here is good article about their coach.

Reactions: nepsy7
Thanks for the advice. His offers are from a NAIA School, Centre, and Grove City College. Elmhurst wants him to come visit. He is not a D1 player. Maybe a scout team player at a FCS school as a walk on.

You still didn’t tell me what the survival rate is now for Covid now that the Scientists understand the virus better.

Congrats to your son! He’s joining the less than 6% group. As you should be extremely proud of him. I know a lot of people in their 50's still paying back student loans. Nothing better than free college. No one interviewing him after he graduates, is going to ask him did he play for Alabama or Elmhurst. That’s the beauty of free money.

Congrats to your son! He’s joining the less than 6% group. As you should be extremely proud of him. I know a lot of people in their 50's still paying back student loans. Nothing better than free college. No one interviewing him after he graduates, is going to ask him did he play for Alabama or Elmhurst. That’s the beauty of free money.

A lot depends on how much money he gets Academically especially for D3 schools. He made a 27 on the ACT took it again and we are hoping for in the 30s.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Politics! People are dying and being effected at an extremely high rates. Playoffs seeding and brackets are irrelevant right now. Hopefully will make it to that 1st game scheduled In February. Que Tucker has done an excellent job
what is that high rate? .03%. ? Ok

Reactions: UNC91
Long term effects are a major concern for younger people who get the virus. Including those with no pre existing condition. I have a former student athlete who got it this summer. He's 22, was running 6-10 miles a week, non smoker, no other health issues. Since he got it, he had major lung function issues and was on a ventilator and in hospital. Now he can barely walk to the stop sign and back without losing his breathe. The doctors are not sure when or if he will get lung capacity back. Part of the ACC and Big Ten rreturn to play protocol is passing a lung test from what I heard. Just had a 5 year old die last week in Texas after getting it.

Lockdowns cause deaths. Look it up.
More years of life lost than covid projected.

Reactions: UNC91
Lockdowns cause deaths. Look it up.
More years of life lost than covid projected.
I don’t disagree that total lockdowns have a dramatic effect on most people. But there are many different degrees of lockdown.
I can’t imagine the difficulty for parents and students with remote learning and the landscape constantly changing.
But for the average person without school aged kids, how difficult is it really?
Certainly, if you lost your income, it’s very tough. But that was even more true ten years ago when the unemployment rate was twice as high as it is now.
I also understand that studies can compare over many years the life expectancy of smokers vs. non smokers or of obesity.
But how does anyone measure lost years of life from being asked to wear a mask and not go to the gym or a bar? There’s really nothing else I want to do that is being restricted right now.
Yes, some athletic events will have reduced capacity. Good by me. Let the parents attend, and hopefully students. I’d like to go. But it’s not imperative.
I just think it’s disingenuous for experts to say they can measure lost years of life for something that hasn’t happened in a century and that affects everybody differently.

I don’t disagree that total lockdowns have a dramatic effect on most people. But there are many different degrees of lockdown.
I can’t imagine the difficulty for parents and students with remote learning and the landscape constantly changing.
But for the average person without school aged kids, how difficult is it really?
Certainly, if you lost your income, it’s very tough. But that was even more true ten years ago when the unemployment rate was twice as high as it is now.
I also understand that studies can compare over many years the life expectancy of smokers vs. non smokers or of obesity.
But how does anyone measure lost years of life from being asked to wear a mask and not go to the gym or a bar? There’s really nothing else I want to do that is being restricted right now.
Yes, some athletic events will have reduced capacity. Good by me. Let the parents attend, and hopefully students. I’d like to go. But it’s not imperative.
I just think it’s disingenuous for experts to say they can measure lost years of life for something that hasn’t happened in a century and that affects everybody differently.
Definitely disingenuous! No real experts are making such ridiculous comments. It’s coming from people, who just want to ignore the crisis we’re going through, and continue on with business as usual. Selfish!

Okay, one co- authored by Scott Atlas, one that quotes the article by Scott Atlas and one that is based in Australia, specifically Victoria. There has been no “lockdown” in America that remotely approaches the one in Victoria. My daughter has been trying to reunite with her fiancé in Australia since April.
But what is telling is that Australian authorities have repeatedly said that the last country whose citizens will be admitted is America because we’ve done such a poor job of containing the virus.

Because it’s not February 26th. Do you really think we should start now?
I just wanted to ask the question for the 2nd half of November.

Honestly I do not. I believe we should start practicing around 8 February and play around 26 February. The COVID is supposed to be clear between the time practice starts and the end of the Championship game. Then it kicks in again.

Reactions: nepsy7 and UNC91
Google 5 frivolous articles with no substantial evidence or creditable information, so everybody let’s congregate in big venues, and get back to normal. That’s not how it works. Lol!

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
So 1,000s of scientists worldwide and 1,000s of professors from Harvard etc doesn't get through to you? Well nothing will. Thats the problem with folks. Nobody considers other points no matter what.

So 1,000s of scientists worldwide and 1,000s of professors from Harvard etc doesn't get through to you? Well nothing will. Thats the problem with folks. Nobody considers other points no matter what.
They give no other options from 1000’s of scientist and Harvard does not have 1000’s of science professors on campus that made that acclamation. There’s no problem with folks, outside of you not being able to articulate the articles you’re presenting. In bold is what your articles say. “Like any other model or epidemiological analysis, it's neither easy nor automatically accurate. Just because a number can be generated doesn't mean it's correct”. While it supposedly received 8,000 signatures from public health experts and doctors, news outlets later revealed that some of those signatures were fake.

Last edited:
Believe what you will.

Fact is 1000s of scientists agree lockdown are as bad as covid.

Believe what you will.

Fact is 1000s of scientists agree lockdown are as bad as covid.
Ok man! It’s not a fact. Your articles even say, it’s not a fact. So stop 🛑 it! How can it be a fact, when there’s no substantial data available, since no one knows how Covid will effect people who caught it, long term?

Last edited:
Fact.

Read.
Research
Thank you! Take your own advice. Everyone wants things back to normal, but not googling unfounded fake articles, just because you want to hang out in crowds, and attend football games. Not one Executive from the NCAA or any professional sports team is listening to that garbage either. Be patient!

Last edited:
Partially.
In my opinion, the public school system is the only major area that might be considered locked down. And even that depends on the county. I don’t consider bars and gyms to be major.
Everybody is different obviously. But I really can’t think of anything I do that is really restricted. Ball games and that’s important or I wouldn’t be on this website. But even that may not be locked down. I may not get to attend, but if parents can, I can live with that.
Back when there was a stay at home order, I get why people felt severely restricted. But that went away months ago and really didn’t last long.
Some countries in Europe have locked down. But in the U.S., I think that’s a misleading term.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Thank you! Take your own advice. Everyone wants things back to normal, but not googling unfounded fake articles, just because you want to hang out in crowds, and attend football games. Not one Executive from the NCAA or any professional sports team is listening to that garbage either. Be patient!

Seriously, reading over these threads is sad. People really this desperate to see teenagers play football. Dont even know the long term effects of COVID-19.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT