ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins the 1A Smoky Mountain?

PatrickO'Brien

Gold Member
Nov 12, 2012
Hayesville, in both women and men's, won convincingly against Cherokee last week.

On the Men's side, Hayesville sits in the conference with a 9-1 record, while Cherokee is at 8-1. Close race and these two teams should be exciting to watch down the stretch in crunch time.

The same can be said on the women's side, as Hayesville won 73-53 last week also.

The Smoky Mountain Conference tournament takes place on Feb 12-21 and should be a good one, with these two teams looking to take home the crown.

If these two teams play again, who do you think might be crowned champion in the tournament and what are your opinions on the conference as we head down the stretch.

What are your thoughts on this tight race and conference tournament?

I'm not sure on the guys side but I think on the GBK side it will be Hayesville. No disrespect to Cherokee as I think they have had a great year but it looks to be that Hayesville is getting it's act together. I am going Hayesville by 9 in the next meeting it will be a battle.

I Think that we are finally seeing Hayesville put it all together and play like the special teams we expected them to be. Cherokee is very very good but in my opinion they are not special. With that said that doesn't mean they won't beat Hayesville they both could beat Hayesville. Yet if Hayesville plays like they are capable and plays there best game there are very few if any teams in the state that can beat either team. So if both teams bring there very best game I believe Hayesville would win. Lets not forget though both teams have to play Robbinsville still which both mens and womens are very capable of beating either team on an off night. Also does anyone know if Huskey from Robbinsville is coming back this year I may have missed it but have not heard anything because he could be a difference maker on the boys side.

The conference tournament will be very important to both these team. I think Hayesville Girls will win and The Cherokee Boys will win

This post was edited on 2/3 12:06 PM by Girls -BBall Fan

Should be some great action this year in all of these conferences.

hayesville in both

Rville could be a sleeper pick in both boys and girls.

This post was edited on 2/3 1:50 PM by ThePolkNation

Hayesville boys playing well right now. Avenged two of their losses with blowout wins in the last week and a half or so. I don't see them or Cherokee losing another conference game...so I guess I predict co-conference champs with the rubber match in the tourney determining the #1 seed.

Capable is not the right word. Robbinsville has dealt with injuries all year but still has a pretty solid team, and they'll have home court advantage. So sure, they could beat either of those teams. But if we did the pickem contest for basketball like we do for football, I would pick both Cherokee and Hayesville to win at Robbinsville.

With a healthy Huskey, Robbinsville might've been favored at home against Hayesville or Cherokee but I have to agree with O&R that it's just too steep a row to hoe for the Black Knights without him, even at home.

#1 will be decided in conference tourney, I see Hayesville winning both. Hayesville boys at their best are just a better team and the Cherokee girls are decimated with injuries now so I don't see them having enough overall firepower to take it.

From multiple sources Cole Huskey blown ACL. From at first look it was a sprain but then upgraded to what everyone all feared. That being said Robbinsville will scrap but as of now with a loss to Rosman, I think they'll play but do not know with which fire. Yes it could be an upset looming but Robbinsville is going to have to get it going on both sides of the ball. Honest opinion it's going to come down to Hayesville and Cherokee in both. Cherokee girls I hear lost a guard to foot injury do not know severity. Big game for Robbinsville Friday night to make a statement I hope the boys get it together and the girls play a caliber type of ball that could shake the conference. Like all nights it goes to who shows up.

Just a quick note to make Robbinsville is playing at Hayesville so the yellow jackets will have home court and I am not sure about the Cherokee match up it is not clear whether or not the first game was at Cherokee on max preps and the second game is not even listed so maybe a Cherokee poster could clear that up for us

I predict that Cherokee and Hayesville will " win out" in both boys and girls. Hence they both will be SMC co-champs. (Boys and girls)

Originally posted by ObserveAndReport:

Robbinsville has dealt with injuries all year but still has a pretty solid team, and they'll have home court advantage. So sure, they could beat either of those teams. But if we did the pickem contest for basketball like we do for football, I would pick both Cherokee and Hayesville to win at Robbinsville.
Well, guess I was wrong. Black Knights shake things up with a big win over Cherokee tonight. Huge for them, as it cuts out any chance Rosman had of tying them for 3rd mathematically. Hayesville alone in 1st for the time being, with just a game with Robbinsville remaining.

That was why I asked that question earlier. Based on the beat down at Hayesville, I had wondered if maybe Cherokee might have been over rated a little, and you can never count out a well coached Robbinsville team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT