ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins 4A State Championship?

Who wins 4A?

• Cardinal Gibbons

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • East Forsyth

Votes: 42 63.6%

• Total voters
the CG QB is not explosive speed wise but he is very efficient at getting rid of the ball. And he does read the defense very well. I thought Scotland was just as physical but the difference in my view is last year CG was really not prepared or maybe surprised is a better word at just how physical the game would be. This year they knew SC was going to bring it. They expected a tough game and got it.

Not sure why you think CG would need a two TD lead going into the second half. I do think this will be a close, hard fought game, but I don't think you can disregard gibbons ability to put up points. Especially if EF has turnovers.

People always compare CG to other private schools or CC. I saw the EF coach do the same today. I have seen them play several times over the years and up close versus my WF. They are actually very athletic across the field. The RB can run and in 4 games (WF, RC, LR, SC) including Richmond I have not seen anyone run away from the back end of the defense. They have speed in the back end and in the back field. The WR can run but are more straightline fast than quick. Big difference from last year versus SC when they lost 7-6 (something like that, less than a fieldgoal) is that the OC for CG was not at the game. They played conservative and tried to get by on talent. Even then missed a FG with seconds left, to win. From what I have seen on twitter and heard he had a family emergency and had to leave the week of that game. So the first time we saw CG in full force vs SC was this year and the offense has been very different. They have been a much more efficient passing team late than early when they played smashmouth vs WF. Watching the HSOT game videos, penalties took them out of any rhytmn early vs Richmond and they paid for each drive killing mistake in first half. They actually stopped LR and had the game won with a minute or two on the clock but a roughing the kicker call gave LR another chance. I bring up RC and LR to say CG can be penalty prone and good teams have taken advantage of it. Don't fall for the CC comparison, they athletes and speed in spots.

Last edited:
People always compare CG to other private schools or CC. I saw the EF coach do the same today. I have seen them play several times over the years and up close versus my WF. They are actually very athletic across the field. The RB can run and in 4 games (WF, RC, LR, SC) including Richmond I have not seen anyone run away from the back end of the defense. They have speed in the back end and in the back field. The WR can run but are more straightline fast than quick. Big difference from last year versus SC when they lost 7-6 (something like that, less than a fieldgoal) is that the OC for CG was not at the game. They played conservative and tried to get by on talent. Even then missed a FG with seconds left, to win. From what I have seen on twitter and heard he had a family emergency and had to leave the week of that game. So the first time we saw CG in full force vs SC was this year and the offense has been very different. They have been a much more efficient passing team late than early when they played smashmouth vs WF. Watching the HSOT game videos, penalties took them out of any rhytmn early vs Richmond and they paid for each drive killing mistake in first half. They actually stopped LR and had the game won with a minute or two on the clock but a roughing the kicker call gave LR another chance. I bring up RC and LR to say CG can be penalty prone and good teams have taken advantage of it. Don't fall for the CC comparison, they athletes and speed in spots.
Against The Raiders Gibbons had one penaltie for the game. Raiders had 18.

Mallard Creek, Vance, and Richmond would all beat EF by as many as they wanted to...

Here we go again. Butler 2012, we played them tougher than anyone. 2015 MC, took it to OT. 2016 CC, 1 score game. Only game we weren't in late was 2017 Harding, our weakest team in a while with 5 losses but still made it to the 3rd round. I think you're confusing East with West Forsyth. They are the Forsyth county team that always gets blown out when they play really good teams. Our coaches are too good not to give us a great chance for success. Not saying we would beat any of the 4AA golden boys this year, but I guarantee we would give them a heck of a game.

Reactions: Post 36

CG had one penalty against Richmond..

Here we go again. Butler 2012, we played them tougher than anyone. 2015 MC, took it to OT. 2016 CC, 1 score game. Only game we weren't in late was 2017 Harding, our weakest team in a while with 5 losses but still made it to the 3rd round. I think you're confusing East with West Forsyth. They are the Forsyth county team that always gets blown out when they play really good teams. Our coaches are too good not to give us a great chance for success. Not saying we would beat any of the 4AA golden boys this year, but I guarantee we would give them a heck of a game.

In wake county and triangle, there is a big difference between 3A/4A, but not the 4A/4AA. This year I think the best team in the area was probably CG even with a loss to LR. Even them the difference between the two is not huge. Jordan represented their conference as a 4A Heritage and Knight dale also finished in top 4 of their conference. I thin it falls back to most 4A schools in meck and schools west being AA in size. Conversely in the East, our school populations are watered down was new schools are opening every 2 years. I think heritage, Knidale and CG are only 4A schools in wake and the rest (excluding WF, MC, Rolesville) are AA but small to med.

RC didn’t score at all on EF last year at wake, and Mallard Creek and EF we’re suppose to play this year , then Charlotte boys got lucky it rained ....

Might as well save it guy. They'll always angle it toward we can't compete against those teams when time after time has proven otherwise.

We didn't ask to go down to 4A and were well on our way to establishing what it took to play 4AA consistently. You could say 2011 against Butler really helped us realize we could do more than compete.

We were hamstrung offensively in 11 but our D more than held it's own. 15 we simply didn't close the deal. No excuses. Until we beat those teams there's nothing to be said but let's KILL the noise on we're getting beat by how many they want. That's not happening anymore.

Let's be honest it's a couple teams not looking like they used to by the way. If we weren't getting it done in 4A then it would be something about that. I've come to understand on here some people are just gonna continue to move the line regardless of the accomplishment.

Reactions: Post 36
Until we (EF, CG) go or go back to 4AA or they institute a 5A these will be hypotheticals. Can we just appreciate both these teams accomplishments and what lies ahead for Saturday.

Don't think either of these teams would duck anyone 4AA win or lose. It's just where they are. Unless someone has credible evidence either of these teams lobbied for mercy to go to 4A let it go and let's finish enjoying the buildup and the game.

I hope you're right but after studying CG don't think there is anyway EF wins by that much with all the injuries they have this year. CG could win by 16 but if EF wins it will be by 3 points or less.

I'm going with east
EF 24
CG 23

By 1 or 50 it would be amazing if we snatched a championship out of this season. To be here is beyond comprehension especially how we felt after the Reagan debacle.

This maybe one of our more mentally tougher teams. No way we come from behind against Grimsley without that mental fortitude. We'll take that into tomorrow and hope it's enough.

We're gonna see if #4 Lyles get put the S on his chest one more time.

EAGLEPRIDE!!

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
It should definitely be a rather large contingent of Lee/CG folks there given their closer proximity and I'm assuming they'll be supporting each other.

I hope we can do the same with the Vance folks.

I think RC is looking to fulfill one of there weeks for next year schedule,
Perfect opportunity for any team to play of the top 4AA teams NC. There you EF, sign up.

Great game and effort by CG. CG #7 has tremendous heart & guts and the quarterback performed very well. Enjoyable game and congrats to the Eagles for fighting through adversity. Go Eagles!!

Reactions: Veejay4
I was at Kenan watching and am now at Dook's place watching the Black Knights. As for the 4A game, EF was clearly superior athletically. The WR with red shoes was quick as a water bug and the QB, #4 was the difference. Also, their DBs really came in a laid the lumber. Very quick, hard hitting D. Not impressed at all with #18, although he has a pro body. Slow motor when they didn't run at him. I thought EF was very good at all phases and well coached. #74 didn't care at all about being flagged for holding. The flagged him 4 times and he did it at least a dozen.

The last 6 minutes of Q2 for Gibbons sealed it. They were ready to go up 21-7 when the EF safety broke up the post pattern. They instead score and on the kick off, #32 for Gibbons gets an unnessesary roughness. Ball on their own 10 instead of EF 48. Next play, #7 fumbles a scoop and score to EF.

CAP-7 must be a decent conference, since they have a team in both the 4A and 4AA finals. Both beat the 3 time defending champs this year.

Reactions: Veejay4
I was at Kenan watching and am now at Dook's place watching the Black Knights. As for the 4A game, EF was clearly superior athletically. The WR with red shoes was quick as a water bug and the QB, #4 was the difference. Also, their DBs really came in a laid the lumber. Very quick, hard hitting D. Not impressed at all with #18, although he has a pro body. Slow motor when they didn't run at him. I thought EF was very good at all phases and well coached. #74 didn't care at all about being flagged for holding. The flagged him 4 times and he did it at least a dozen.

The last 6 minutes of Q2 for Gibbons sealed it. They were ready to go up 21-7 when the EF safety broke up the post pattern. They instead score and on the kick off, #32 for Gibbons gets an unnessesary roughness. Ball on their own 10 instead of EF 48. Next play, #7 fumbles a scoop and score to EF.

CAP-7 must be a decent conference, since they have a team in both the 4A and 4AA finals. Both beat the 3 time defending champs this year.

#18 is a basketball player 1st year football player. He's a project but already has a couple power 5 offers. He could be something if he decides to fully commit to football.

I think RC is looking to fulfill one of there weeks for next year schedule,
Perfect opportunity for any team to play of the top 4AA teams NC. There you EF, sign up.

Trust and believe we've tried to schedule some teams you all talk a lot about in the "upper tier" if you will 4A/4AA ranks hence why you saw us scrimmage you all last year and tried to get that Creek scrimmage this year before the rain.

We know where's it at and we're trying to get something done hopefully. The kids want it too. When they look on the schedule and see a "blue blood" name on the schedule it can make for an exciting offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT