ADVERTISEMENT

Who Wins 3A West?

Who wins?

• Kings Mountain

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • Charlotte Catholic

Votes: 33 53.2%

• Total voters
Tough call. If KM wins, it’s because they played mistake-free football. CC won’t beat themselves. It looks like KM has the size advantage but CC swarms to the ball on defense. Great matchup.

I don't know a lot about either school, but in my Ric Flair voice, "to be the man, you've gotta beat the man" and right now Catholic is the reigning champs so they are "the man" until someone beats them. KM very well could do it. If I weren't going to be at the Eastern 3A Final, I'd love to see it.

Reactions: Crr1968
9496 ? You know CC gonna fundamentally kick DAT a:s. If KM can’t pass to Pasour and Davidson it will be a long, long night. Lloyd may try 2 or 3 double reverse flea flickers.. Good luck KM ! CC gonna blitz blitz blitz..Ask them Huskies and that team the put us out.

I’m a slight KM lean on this one...but wouldn’t bet on it.
I’m thinking GL wins this one and gets to the ship.....he’ll get another chance next yr..So he better do it soon or the KM faithful will pull that new rug right out from under his feet.
Poor ol Greg gets chastised for never winning a ring....but I can’t ever remember during his time as KM HC being a clear cut favorite. As good as KM was last yr CC was clearly the better team. All the 3A teams played for second last yr. CC has come a long way this year after losing to two nationally ranked teams, but I don’t think they’re as dominant. But heck what do I know. I never thought we’d beat KM and HH

Reactions: Fatguyfootball
I don’t know CC roster looks pretty solid to me.. When the player with no transportation split for Huss..Is Huss 25 miles from Catholic.. Well that’s another thread.. Catholics season took a better turn. . Lion Bulldogs thumped Crest.. Bulldogs Thump Crest.. Huss thumps Mounties.. Mounties thump Lion Bulldogs..Crest thumps Huss and Mounties..CC thumps Huss with transferred back..that had no transportation all of a sudden ( sounds a lil fishy ) ole well .. This can only mean Catholic Thumps Mounties and Mounties say “ maybe next year again “. Oh and Lionbulldogs thump Bulldogs.. you got that ? Lotta Thumping going on ! And Chargers watch at home..dang I’m confused!!

Reactions: PUNTSTER
I think Catholic wins this one....playing a tough early season schedule is helping then now for sure. They are just on another level than the rest of 3 a apart from weddington that is.

So 9496 , you said that CC lost to 2 Nationally Ranked teams early. How bad did they lose ? And wonder how high they were ranked ?Weddington beat the brakes off CC but are they ranked ? The CC crowd and the KM crowd is really quiet.. Seems like they are both a lil unsure. .. as far as preps posters..

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
So 9496 , you said that CC lost to 2 Nationally Ranked teams early. How bad did they lose ? And wonder how high they were ranked ?Weddington beat the brakes off CC but are they ranked ? The CC crowd and the KM crowd is really quiet.. Seems like they are both a lil unsure. .. as far as preps posters..
Good Counsel and Rummel are both top 25 in various polls.

Hey CC I’m not being sarcastic but what do you think about rankings and is Weddington the better of the three teams you guys lost too or did you all just get outplayed and possibly out coached. And we’re waiting on your prediction.

Catholic wins this comfortably imo. Even though they’re down, they’re still a step ahead of teams in the 3A.

Good Counsel and Rummel are both top 25 in various polls.
Maybe Weddington should be ranked in top 25 in various polls. Maybe GC and Rummel are overrated or Weddington’s underrated. What polls are GC and Rummel rated in top 25?

Last edited:
Regarding Catholic out of state opponents.

Good Counsel ended up losing three games to really elite teams. St John Bosco (CA), DeMatha (MD), and St Johns (DC) which they avenged in their association championship game.. SJB is considered by many to be the best team in the US after beating Mater Dei Saturday night.

Rummel is undefeated and had a few really tight games. They play in the Louisiana state championship this weekend.

Weddington is bringing back a lot of players next season. If they want to step up this is the time to start looking at doing it. Up to their coaches to do what is best for the program. I think Richmond, Vance, and Mallard Creek all have openings for next season. I expect they could work something out with a non conference opponent (Ardrey Kell, South Meck, Nations Ford, or Porter Ridge).

Catholic has did it over the years, Mallard Creek, RH Northwestern (when they were elite), Country Day (when they were elite), Christian (when they had some of their best teams). Interesting matchups are available for Weddington. Would love to see them go to Richmond for an "event" because that is what it would be. Packed house.

Weddington is bringing back a lot of players next season. If they want to step up this is the time to start looking at doing it. Up to their coaches to do what is best for the program. I think Richmond, Vance, and Mallard Creek all have openings for next season. I expect they could work something out with a non conference opponent (Ardrey Kell, South Meck, Nations Ford, or Porter Ridge).

Catholic has did it over the years, Mallard Creek, RH Northwestern (when they were elite), Country Day (when they were elite), Christian (when they had some of their best teams). Interesting matchups are available for Weddington. Would love to see them go to Richmond for an "event" because that is what it would be. Packed house.

Richmond by 2-3 TDs

Richmond by 2-3 TDs

I would think a couple of TDs in 2019 after seeing both teams more than once. If Weddington loses at Richmond that is no shame. Would be great for NC high school football and definitely a huge gate to split.

I would think a couple of TDs in 2019 after seeing both teams more than once. If Weddington loses at Richmond that is no shame. Would be great for NC high school football and definitely a huge gate to split.
Idk about that. Weddington’s D is elite and Shipley is special. I think it would be closer.

AK and PR are annual rivals. That ain’t happening. Weddington beat Christian a couple of years ago. The only reason Catawba Ridge was on the schedule, from what I’ve been told, is because a team we played in 17 and 18 didn’t want to renew for 19 and 20. I’m not sure RC or MC would take Weddington on. I’m not sure anyone wants to play down. But it is up to the coaches.

Regarding Catholic out of state opponents.

Good Counsel ended up losing three games to really elite teams. St John Bosco (CA), DeMatha (MD), and St Johns (DC) which they avenged in their association championship game.. SJB is considered by many to be the best team in the US after beating Mater Dei Saturday night.

Rummel is undefeated and had a few really tight games. They play in the Louisiana state championship this weekend.
Aren’t all of those schools private? Most of the schools ranked in the the top 25 get the pick of the litter. Are there any polls specifically for public schools?

Aren’t all of those schools private? Most of the schools ranked in the the top 25 get the pick of the litter. Are there any polls specifically for public schools?

The two schools CC played and the two mentioned here have no distance restrictions, offer financial aid aka athletic scholarships, no sit out period, et al. So when the unknowledgeable poster / fan spews Catholic cannot beat teams "like them" this is what they are missing. Louisiana and DC Metro are loaded with Parochial schools.

All private. SJB and Mater Dei just load up each year. It is more like "AAU football."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-high-schools-sondheimer-20180503-story.html

AK and PR are annual rivals. That ain’t happening. Weddington beat Christian a couple of years ago. The only reason Catawba Ridge was on the schedule, from what I’ve been told, is because a team we played in 17 and 18 didn’t want to renew for 19 and 20. I’m not sure RC or MC would take Weddington on. I’m not sure anyone wants to play down. But it is up to the coaches.

I would not expect the PR game to be an option. The others could possibly work.

Weddington has also beaten Country Day. Beat Christian by ten the year Catholic beat Christian 5-0. Not one of the better Christian teams but still solid. That is always a good win! Think those games were in one of the promoter sponsored events.

MC will do a split the gate with Weddington at either site or a neurtal facility. Richmond would be more than excited to host them! They have no issue playing down as they played Anson, Cardinal Gibbons, and Clayton this season. The Anson game is off for next season. They are trying to fill the schedule and play decent teams. Anson was a gate / rivalry renewal. CG is solid and guarantees. Clayton had been solid but dropped off after some changes.

Being an Anson alum, I’m glad that Pee Dee River “rivalry” is over. 4A vs 2A usually doesn’t bode too well. I think Weddington would’ve beaten Christian handily the last 2 years. Cardinal Gibbons is also 4A, just a smaller school than RC. It will be interesting to see what happens next year, but I’m enjoying 2019 now.

The two schools CC played and the two mentioned here have no distance restrictions, offer financial aid aka athletic scholarships, no sit out period, et al. So when the unknowledgeable poster / fan spews Catholic cannot beat teams "like them" this is what they are missing. Louisiana and DC Metro are loaded with Parochial schools.

All private. SJB and Mater Dei just load up each year. It is more like "AAU football."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-high-schools-sondheimer-20180503-story.html
Do you think both of those teams would destroy 2019 Weddington, like some other posters suggest?

Why don’t MC and Richmond schedule each other during season? Be good test for future playoffs if they both have open dates. Why Richmond / MC want to play down to Weddington?

Why don’t MC and Richmond schedule each other during season? Be good test for future playoffs if they both have open dates. Why Richmond / MC want to play down to Weddington?

I did not write they want to play down. Richmond and Mallard Creek will be looking for games. Weddington is one of the best teams in the state regardless of classification. Big gate and not too far apart.

I personally like to see as many different teams match up as possible. If MC and Richmond are good enough they will meet so I prefer to see them play someone else in the regular season.

MC played at Gaffney and Dutch Fork plus Butler non conference. Hard to question their non conference schedule.

Do you think both of those teams would destroy 2019 Weddington, like some other posters suggest?

No. I do think both of those teams in 2019 would grind them down. More size, more speed. Weddington is really good and very well coached. So are the other two. Think Weddington would struggle at the line on both sides of the ball.

Not questioning schedule. I know about the Creeks success. But lots of teams sometimes play twice. Makes it pretty interesting. Just my dumbas” opinion.

No. I do think both of those teams in 2019 would grind them down. More size, more speed. Weddington is really good and very well coached. So are the other two. Think Weddington would struggle at the line on both sides of the ball.
I wish I would’ve seen MC and Richmond play to have an opinion on that. Both lines of Weddington have been outstanding.

I would not expect the PR game to be an option. The others could possibly work.

Weddington has also beaten Country Day. Beat Christian by ten the year Catholic beat Christian 5-0. Not one of the better Christian teams but still solid. That is always a good win! Think those games were in one of the promoter sponsored events.

MC will do a split the gate with Weddington at either site or a neurtal facility. Richmond would be more than excited to host them! They have no issue playing down as they played Anson, Cardinal Gibbons, and Clayton this season. The Anson game is off for next season. They are trying to fill the schedule and play decent teams. Anson was a gate / rivalry renewal. CG is solid and guarantees. Clayton had been solid but dropped off after some changes.
How about Richmond coming down to Weddington?

KM has to be patient early in the game they can’t try to be Catholic in 1 qtr

How about Richmond coming down to Weddington?

There is one year left before new realignment season starts so schools may be a bit nervous about a two year contract but may be a home and home could be worked out. If it is a one off I would go to Richmond. Much larger facility and the game is going to be the only show in town.

You should get someone to drive you to Richmond Friday. Not sure it is as much a deal as last Friday but it will be big. It will be worth the trip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT