ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins 3A State Championship?

Who wins 3A?

• Southern Nash

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Charlotte Catholic

Votes: 51 63.8%

• Total voters
There is no doubting Southern Nash has speed. They do, they aren't huge, but they are athletic. However, Catholic saw quite a good amount of speed with Good Counsel, Rummel, Kings Mountain. Heck, Huss and Weddington have pretty good speed and athletes too.
Catholic did play one of the highest rated receivers in Louisana and shut him down. They did keep Shipley under 100 yards rushing(I think he had 93 yards rushing, more receiving though) but I might be wrong on that too.
Shipley was 15-94-2TDs and one TD receiving. CC’s defense is tough and hard to score on. I see a 21-14 type of game here,

This game is going to be won in the trenches. SN O Line and D Line are always under rated. Looking forward to how this game plays out. Everyone always looks at the size of the player but you can't measure the heart. Size, speed, quickness are all key factors in any football game no matter who is playing but sometimes it comes down to heart. Praying for safety for both teams because it will be physical.

15 teams tried to beat southern nash and failed 3 teams successfully beat catholic so it's been proven how to beat them and Southern nash and weddington are a mirror image same amount of players same size in fact southern has little more size both Senior led and have the best runners in the state and that SN offensive line can make a defense look stupid so tighten up those chin straps time to play real football
Why don’t you find my earlier post. I shared why those 3 losses are deceptive.

I would like to see Southern Nash win this game but just like I said last year about Jacksonville - they are just too one dimensional. Need an effective passing game and I am not sure SN can or will be able to pass effectively. I hope I am wrong but I see a Catholic win.

I would like to see Southern Nash win this game but just like I said last year about Jacksonville - they are just too one dimensional. Need an effective passing game and I am not sure SN can or will be able to pass effectively. I hope I am wrong but I see a Catholic win.

Not just one dimensional but really one player who is clearly a great RB but I dont think an offense that relys completely on one guy can beat an elite defense.

I dont think this is a great team by Charlotte Catholic standards but Brodiwicz's defense the last 2 years have been stellar against some real good offenses.

Last edited:
Blue, you could probably put my football knowledge in a thimble, but more often than not, someone will stop a one dimensional run attack. (I understand your one player post)

Again, I am hoping Catholic cannot stop SN’s run game but good coaching schemes and fundamental tackling takes away the space that speed needs to shine.

Prove me wrong Firebirds. I am pulling for you!!!

Reactions: BigKev71
Bill

Bill's has closed since Bill Ellis passed away but his son Lawrence has opened a restaurant called Marty's BBQ you should check out next time you're in Wilson.

Thanks for the tip. I live a long ways away these days and miss good hushpuppies and corn sticks to go with vinegar based pork barbecue.

Enjoy the game it should go fast...

Thanks for the tip. I live a long ways away these days and miss good hushpuppies and corn sticks to go with vinegar based pork barbecue.

Enjoy the game it should go fast...
Pretty sure the SN crowd will have some with them if you want to catch them tailgating before the game

I was planning to head up early to catch the end of this before Weddington played but it'll probably be over by 4:45.. two teams that throw no passes

16-7 CC missed PAT. CC his 7 for 9 on 3rd down. 6:20 left. SN starts from their own 28.

This is a physical game

CC takes over after 2nd straight 3 and out. Three minutes to go CC with a 4-1 on 18 and CC scores 23-7 2:55 left

I think the game turned when SN was down 10-3 and tried to get a little too cute on 1st down with a Cooley designed throw.

SN played very tough. they are just not as deep as CC. Possessions were at a premium and you can not go three and out three times in a row especially in the 4th quarter. Going to enjoy watching #20 at WF.

Last edited:
SN’s ability to pass the ball was better than I expected.

Congrats to CC.

CC ability to rush the passer also showed up as the SN did not have any time in the 4th Q to throw, best play was a busted play scramble. Again hats off to SN as they played dirt ball and played tough.

looked like the same two teams playing each other. one team with the best back the other with the best lines. The best lines won but I LOVE how Southern Nash plays. I hope they win a championship, they play hard and physical

15 teams tried to beat southern nash and failed 3 teams successfully beat catholic so it's been proven how to beat them and Southern nash and weddington are a mirror image same amount of players same size in fact southern has little more size both Senior led and have the best runners in the state and that SN offensive line can make a defense look stupid so tighten up those chin straps time to play real football

Yup....

Over/under on the first " Catholic recruits" post?

No excuses. They are a strong team. Defense is very good. 75 was dominant. They had a lot of success running behind him. I figured they would get another score or two at the end bc we started selling out to stop the run. Proud of my birds and their season. Hate Cooleys career ended with a loss. Kid plays with a ton of heart.

No excuses. They are a strong team. Defense is very good. 75 was dominant. They had a lot of success running behind him. I figured they would get another score or two at the end bc we started selling out to stop the run. Proud of my birds and their season. Hate Cooleys career ended with a loss. Kid plays with a ton of heart.

He is a great HS RB

Yes you have to admire #20 they had him bottled up several times and still got yards... I think we will surprise a few folks at the next level.

What a win. Easily the most fulfilling state title win to date. My hat does go off to Southern Nash, they brought it all game. Cooley is a helluva running back for sure. Feels good to get the 3 peat though! Go Cougars!

What a win. Easily the most fulfilling state title win to date. My hat does go off to Southern Nash, they brought it all game. Cooley is a helluva running back for sure. Feels good to get the 3 peat though! Go Cougars!
Congrats Coach! Y’all had a great year.

Southern nash by 2 touchdowns

Southern Nash brought a good crowd. It is not often that we get out drawn for fans at a game but the Southern Nash folks were out in droves. BigKev was right when he said they would play hard nose football. We made #20 earn all of his yards and he was tough to tackle. 252 wildcat must have been smoking Nash county weed when he made his predictions.

Reactions: Blue and Gold22
Good win by the COUGARS, maybe next year if the MOUNTIES AND COUGARS make the playoffs they can meet up again hopefully on the MOUNTIES TURF.

Good win by the COUGARS, maybe next year if the MOUNTIES AND COUGARS make the playoffs they can meet up again hopefully on the MOUNTIES TURF.
I did not see us winning states this year, even up to the last game of the regular season (Marvin Ridge) we were 6 seconds and one yard away from going into overtime or losing. The D was solid all year but the O and special teams were bleeding points and opportunities to the other teams.

Then all of a sudden the playoffs started. All the Turnovers and mistakes by the offense and special teams were suddenly gone, we started to have a semblance of a passing game, and Catholic looked like the big Red Machine again. GREAT JOB by the coaches and players getting it together to make this run!!!!!!!!!!

First time ever seeing CC play and I was very impressed. They played very disciplined defense and were very quick off the ball on both sides. They have a great program, certainly one of the best in the state over the past 15-20 years. Just a tough game all around and they made a few more plays than Southern Nash.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT