ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins 3A State Championship?

Who wins 3A?

• Southern Nash

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Charlotte Catholic

Votes: 51 63.8%

• Total voters
Catholic is comfortable playing a 7-0 type game. It's been said before....They are mentally tough and will not hurt themselves.

I am not as familiar with Southern Nash, and did not get the chance to prep them, but just my opinion.....715 pts, they want to outscore you and play solid Defense in the 2nd half. Without looking at all the game films to see how they actually played out, it's hard to say why it happened that way.

I'm not saying Southern Nash can't win, but it is important to get off to a good start, especially against Catholic.

I would think Defense Wins the Championship in this one, but no one expected an offensive shootout in the Saints 49ers game either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 252wildcat
Catholic is comfortable playing a 7-0 type game. It's been said before....They are mentally tough and will not hurt themselves.

I am not as familiar with Southern Nash, and did not get the chance to prep them, but just my opinion.....715 pts, they want to outscore you and play solid Defense in the 2nd half. Without looking at all the game films to see how they actually played out, it's hard to say why it happened that way.

I'm not saying Southern Nash can't win, but it is important to get off to a good start, especially against Catholic.

I would think Defense Wins the Championship in this one, but no one expected an offensive shootout in the Saints 49ers game either.

Southern Nash pounds the football. When they keep pounding it over and over eventually the big plays open up and they tend to score in bunches. They proved last week though that if need be they can just grind out long drives and score. They had a couple of 10-11 minute drives last week. They are comfortable with a shootout or low scoring game. SN defense however doesn't get the credit they deserve. A whole lot of the touchdowns given up in games this season has been when the game was well in hand and they've gone deeeeep in the bench. SN O-Line is under rated as well. They are some of the toughest, scrappiest dudes I've seen. Looking forward to a great game.

Someone is going to get a taste of their own medicine in this game.

Look like carbon copies of each other. Who gets to wear RED?
After looking at highlight film and it's hard to go off 1 game but I see advantage Catholic . I'm looking at their offensive and defensive lines and neither has any push off the ball and not getting to the second level. I think Catholics line on both sides has strength with their size and the linebackers are disciplined enough to clean up what isnt stop for losses in the backfield.

After looking at highlight film and it's hard to go off 1 game but I see advantage Catholic . I'm looking at their offensive and defensive lines and neither has any push off the ball and not getting to the second level. I think Catholics line on both sides has strength with their size and the linebackers are disciplined enough to clean up what isnt stop for losses in the backfield.
The linebackers have been Catholic's strength this year. Out of the 5 guys they will rotate through 3 are three year starters, another is a junior with nearly 170 tackles and the last one is a junior but saw playing time a year ago as a sophomore at times on varsity.

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
Southern Nash pounds the football. When they keep pounding it over and over eventually the big plays open up and they tend to score in bunches. They proved last week though that if need be they can just grind out long drives and score. They had a couple of 10-11 minute drives last week. They are comfortable with a shootout or low scoring game. SN defense however doesn't get the credit they deserve. A whole lot of the touchdowns given up in games this season has been when the game was well in hand and they've gone deeeeep in the bench. SN O-Line is under rated as well. They are some of the toughest, scrappiest dudes I've seen. Looking forward to a great game.

Nice post, I watch a few of SN games last evening. You always should show respect for anyone who beats everyone they play. That typically means your team culture is very solid. You have to respect the way you're RB's block for each other. Very few teams understand how to deal with that. Everyone's schedule always has a few unsuccessful teams on them, I am curious who during the year did you think were the best teams you played.

Nice post, I watch a few of SN games last evening. You always should show respect for anyone who beats everyone they play. That typically means your team culture is very solid. You have to respect the way you're RB's block for each other. Very few teams understand how to deal with that. Everyone's schedule always has a few unsuccessful teams on them, I am curious who during the year did you think were the best teams you played.
In my honest opinion regular season Northside Jacksonville and Rocky Mount and Northern Nash and in the playoffs Northern Nash and Eastern Alamance. RM and NN are conference and county rivals and always play each other tough. SN and EA have developed a playoff rivalry in recent years as well. Catholic will be SN's biggest challenge this season. Like both coaches have said in the press conference I expect it to be the quickest to finish championship game.

In my honest opinion regular season Northside Jacksonville and Rocky Mount and Northern Nash and in the playoffs Northern Nash and Eastern Alamance. RM and NN are conference and county rivals and always play each other tough. SN and EA have developed a playoff rivalry in recent years as well. Catholic will be SN's biggest challenge this season. Like both coaches have said in the press conference I expect it to be the quickest to finish championship game.

Thanks for the thought. I got to watch the Rocky Mount game but have not seen the Northside Jacksonville game. I will watch tonight. I think you are right possessions are going to be at a premium for this match up.

I might be one of the only cougars who has spent time in both Bailey and SIMS. Remember Parkers and Bills... choosing between those two great Barbecue place is like picking this match up. :).

I’m asking a legitimate question. I got through watching SN’s game against Eastern Alamance. My first thought is SN’s offense is taylor made for Catholic’s defense. I know it’s only one game, but it looked like Cooley was 75% or more of their offense. Defensively, Eastern Alamance didn’t exactly have an extremely difficult time scoring. SN didn’t really “wow” me any. It’ll be a close game, mainly due to the style of play both teams use. I don’t see SN being a dangerous threat to Catholic. On the other hand, SN is unbeaten for a reason. What am I missing?

Honda

They grind and grind, in a similar way that catholic does. They have a really good RB that you must tackle. The RBs block very well. That makes them a threat. Like us, they have to avoid penalties

I will say after watching a few games their level of competition is a level below catholics. We both had a few down teams on our schedules but the level of competition is below our conference and out of conference teams. But they are 15-0 and that means they show up to play.

I’m asking a legitimate question. I got through watching SN’s game against Eastern Alamance. My first thought is SN’s offense is taylor made for Catholic’s defense. I know it’s only one game, but it looked like Cooley was 75% or more of their offense. Defensively, Eastern Alamance didn’t exactly have an extremely difficult time scoring. SN didn’t really “wow” me any. It’ll be a close game, mainly due to the style of play both teams use. I don’t see SN being a dangerous threat to Catholic. On the other hand, SN is unbeaten for a reason. What am I missing?
While you are correct in saying that Cooley is a good amount of our offense, he still ran for 344 yards with a 7.3 YPC. This kid has the most heart of anybody that will take the field Saturday. While Southern Nash hasn't played the big names that Charlotte Catholic has in the regular season, both teams played the same number of playoff teams in the regular season. And to say Alamance didn't have difficulty scoring... you are correct in that. They have one of the best offenses in NC and only scored 29. It seems to me that 49 just got scored against you all... We saw what happened the last time you played a good running back in Shipley. And I, as well as stats, would argue that Cooley is the best RUNNING back in the state.

While you are correct in saying that Cooley is a good amount of our offense, he still ran for 344 yards with a 7.3 YPC. This kid has the most heart of anybody that will take the field Saturday. While Southern Nash hasn't played the big names that Charlotte Catholic has in the regular season, both teams played the same number of playoff teams in the regular season. And to say Alamance didn't have difficulty scoring... you are correct in that. They have one of the best offenses in NC and only scored 29. It seems to me that 49 just got scored against you all... We saw what happened the last time you played a good running back in Shipley. And I, as well as stats, would argue that Cooley is the best RUNNING back in the state.
I’m looking forward to the game. But I will
say the 49 they gave up was after 7 overtimes. They gave up 7 in regulation. They also scored 56 in the OT. Their 3 losses can be deceptive. I think the 45-0 loss was an aberration against most likely the 3AA state champion. They also lost 7-3 on a late pick 6 against Archbishop
Rummel, the top ranked team in Louisiana and a 7-0 loss th Our Lady of Good Counsel, the second ranked team in Maryland and ranked 9th nationally by Calpreps. But both teams are very good teams. They have to be to get this far.

It seems to me that 49 just got scored against you all... We saw what happened the last time you played a good running back in Shipley.

Just glancing at some posts and had to mention that was a seven OT game. It was 7-7 at the end of regulation.

I think Shipley was just apart in the machine the night they rolled Catholic.

Bill
Thanks for the thought. I got to watch the Rocky Mount game but have not seen the Northside Jacksonville game. I will watch tonight. I think you are right possessions are going to be at a premium for this match up.

I might be one of the only cougars who has spent time in both Bailey and SIMS. Remember Parkers and Bills... choosing between those two great Barbecue place is like picking this match up. :).
Bill's has closed since Bill Ellis passed away but his son Lawrence has opened a restaurant called Marty's BBQ you should check out next time you're in Wilson.

Just glancing at some posts and had to mention that was a seven OT game. It was 7-7 at the end of regulation.

I think Shipley was just apart in the machine the night they rolled Catholic.
But doesn’t that mean King’s Mountain scored on 6 straight possessions? Friday is going to feel like the longest day of the year. I’m excited to see what happens

But doesn’t that mean King’s Mountain scored on 6 straight possessions? Friday is going to feel like the longest day of the year. I’m excited to see what happens
But during those same overtimes, Catholic finished with 56 points.

it was not a question of the offense. It was a question of the defense. But I digress. Good luck to you
10 yards for a balanced team like KM (almost 200 yards rushing and 200 receiving a game ,40+ points) wasnt much. Except for the Weddington game, no-one can question their defense. The Catholic defensive and offensive lines are going to control this game and I see Catholics tight ends having big day.

Catholic cant match Southern nash speed and one thing is for sure you cant tackle what you cant catch

Catholic cant match Southern nash speed and one thing is for sure you cant tackle what you cant catch

Might be the funniest post ever. Trying to think of how many times I have read this exact same post. Has to be a minimum of 100 times and I always think the same thing...

Havelock, Jacksonville, Dudley, Vance, Kings Mountain, Monroe, East Forsyth, Reagan, JH Rose

Those teams didnt have speed?? LMAO.

Catholic has been to the title game about a dozen times....you guys dont think they have played fast teams??

Last edited:
Looks like Rain in Raleigh now and into tomorrow.....The Track will not be fast.....Two thoughts. First, this is the 3:00 game (hate it for the 7:00 game). After watching Catholic play in those RIDICULOUS conditions last year, and seeing how BAD it got that fast, I think it's critical to get on the scoreboard early and often.

Secondly, the field should start off in decent shape, because Lord only knows my Wolfpack didn't tear it up this year.

15 teams tried to beat southern nash and failed 3 teams successfully beat catholic so it's been proven how to beat them and Southern nash and weddington are a mirror image same amount of players same size in fact southern has little more size both Senior led and have the best runners in the state and that SN offensive line can make a defense look stupid so tighten up those chin straps time to play real football

Catholics best runner is injured and he'll have a rough day hes pretty banged up after their overtime game

15 teams tried to beat southern nash and failed 3 teams successfully beat catholic so it's been proven how to beat them and Southern nash and weddington are a mirror image same amount of players same size in fact southern has little more size both Senior led and have the best runners in the state and that SN offensive line can make a defense look stupid so tighten up those chin straps time to play real football

How are Weddington and Southern Nash mirror images? Do you watch football? You guys throw like 3 passes a game.

Reactions: Crr1968
I hear some worry your voice

In my voice?? Nope- I havent worried about a HSfootball game since 1983. Its really just amusement because every year its the same pattern.

1st- " We have to much speed", " We will out athlete them", " They cant deal with our RB" " Our defense will shut them down"

Then either Saturday or all day SUnday-

" Field conditions sucked", " Refs were terrible", " They recruit", " They shouldn't be allowed to play us", " We have a ton coming back", " We will be better next year and show them"

and then by Monday or Tuesday you guys go dark until August. Every year...same thing.

Catholics best runner is injured and he'll have a rough day hes pretty banged up after their overtime game
He isn't injured. He has practiced all week at 100%, you're probably going off the KTC broadcast which was one of the worst examples of broadcasting I've ever seen in terms of the announcers. Paul Neel is 100% though.

Reactions: BigKev71

You need to add nuance to your statement.

You are going to be surprised by Catholics speed and strength to go with their size. Big guys that are solid. S.Nash will have to throw for more than the less than 50 yards a game they average to have a chance in this one because their offensive line will be in its own backfield.

There is no doubting Southern Nash has speed. They do, they aren't huge, but they are athletic. However, Catholic saw quite a good amount of speed with Good Counsel, Rummel, Kings Mountain. Heck, Huss and Weddington have pretty good speed and athletes too.
Catholic did play one of the highest rated receivers in Louisana and shut him down. They did keep Shipley under 100 yards rushing(I think he had 93 yards rushing, more receiving though) but I might be wrong on that too.

Reactions: Crr1968
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT