ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Who will be the best teams in the state this year.

Alleghany84

Feb 22, 2011
With open gyms starting in a couple of weeks, who are the teams that are expected to be strong this year, based on what they have coming back.

Winston-Salem Prep and Lincoln Charter will be in their own class in the west. Would've put Cherokee up there with them a few months ago but not sure now...

What changed your mind on Cherokee

Fired the coach that has really put them at an elite level the last few years, plus rumor is that a 20 ppg scorer transferred out after that...though you'd have to get a Cherokee fan to confirm the second part. They've got some talented young guys coming up and will still be good, but not on Lincoln Charter and WSP level.

I don't think I'm discounting them. I would say Cherokee is still the favorite to win the SMC, I just wouldn't call them a state title favorite when they lost a good coach and a their two top scorers, while the the two Regional Finalists last year had hardly any seniors and return multiple D-1 players each. If they prove me wrong, I'd love to watch it.

Cherokee did lose the man that stood on the sideline while the team ran up and down the court without direction. I think we might actually see them run some plays this year. Might have an actual game plan other than our plan is to outscore the other team.

Tullos done what anybody with common sense would've done with those boys
If we played half court ball with hayesville they'd ran is out of the gym same goes with Lincoln charter

I also think every team wants outscore the other team to get the w don't you think

In the West, I also think WS Prep and Lincoln Charter will be head/shoulders above everyone else. Uwharrie Charter should also be strong.

As for the East, I think there could be quite a few teams in the mix. Looks like Voyager will be way down this year so I'm not expecting too much from them.

You'll probably have the usual suspects (East Carteret, Whiteville, Plymouth, Pender, Wallace Rose-Hill, James Kenan). Three teams I'm keeping my eyes on are South Creek, Kestrel Heights, and Roxboro Community. All three are led by outstanding individual players. I'm also intrigued about Trask.

In the West, I also think WS Prep and Lincoln Charter will be head/shoulders above everyone else. Uwharrie Charter should also be strong.

As for the East, I think there could be quite a few teams in the mix. Looks like Voyager will be way down this year so I'm not expecting too much from them.

You'll probably have the usual suspects (East Carteret, Whiteville, Plymouth, Pender, Wallace Rose-Hill, James Kenan). Three teams I'm keeping my eyes on are South Creek, Kestrel Heights, and Roxboro Community. All three are led by outstanding individual players. I'm also intrigued about Trask.

Hey Chute, didn't West Montgomery beat Uwharrie twice last year? Were they young?

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Hey Chute, didn't West Montgomery beat Uwharrie twice last year? Were they young?

You're right. West beat Uwharrie twice during regular season.....Uwharrie beat them in the conference semis.

I was totally unaware of that. Not sure how young they were. Didn't see them at all last season.

You're right. West beat Uwharrie twice during regular season.....Uwharrie beat them in the conference semis.

I was totally unaware of that. Not sure how young they were. Didn't see them at all last season.

Albemarle will still be pretty good they returned just about everybody. Should still make a run at the conference could make noise come state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT